• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[imagine] Which Game engine should be the standard engine for a platform?

[imagining caps on now guys, no commerical interests or reality]

that is: if there were one to be chosen. an impressive game engine that would be modded and tweaked by devs to speed up dev-time and to focus them on the actual gameplay rather than tech.

Ps2: i would go for the MGS2 engine. great clear gfx, can do skateboarding and mechacombat ':)

imagine if everyone HAD to use it...
(renderware is great too)

PC: very very very hard to choose. but if pressed i would go for the Unrealwarfare engine, so much great stuff has been made already. concentrated development would reap massive rewards.

xbox.... havent decided

Gc: same....

ninge

engines are just horses for courses - even something that claims to be all-things-to-all-men like renderware still needs to be massively customised based on the content of the game it is being used for.

something like the RS3 engine is only good for doing RS style games - same for the MGS engine, neither would make a good racing game engine for example.

Templar Wizard said:
[imagining caps on now guys, no commerical interests or reality]

that is: if there were one to be chosen. an impressive game engine that would be modded and tweaked by devs to speed up dev-time and to focus them on the actual gameplay rather than tech.

Ps2: i would go for the MGS2 engine. great clear gfx, can do skateboarding and mechacombat ':)

imagine if everyone HAD to use it...
(renderware is great too)

PC: very very very hard to choose. but if pressed i would go for the Unrealwarfare engine, so much great stuff has been made already. concentrated development would reap massive rewards.

xbox.... havent decided

Gc: same....
but i thought skateboarding engine was different from mgs2 engine, and that was why skateboarding wasnt in xbox substance...

Zone of the enters2 isnt a MGS type game and uses the engine...

ever played Quake Rally?
Air Quake?

with proper budgets and a real dev team (not taking away from the efforts of the original modders) they could have become more polished.

ergo: your argument holds no weight.

The Zelda windwaker engine for the GC....

using the best gfx engine is always the wrong way to go...:)

and i dont think they would all look the same: Splinter Cell and Deus Ex: Invisible War.

that skateboarding games used some konami skateboarding game engine (whether it was mgs2's or not) I think they just stuck a demo with a snake model on the disc

I dunno about quake tho

has some kinda flaws in it (most mods using it / half engine, CHOKE on large open areas) and how hard is it for them to get rid of bunny hopping, strafe hopping?

I think this was it

evolutionskateboarding.jpg

h-104_5322_ps2_evoskate.bmp.jpg

I hope that some other games come out with the Jade Engine from Beyond Good & Evil. It looked great on every platform the game was portetd to!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
johnjohnson said:
I hope that some other games come out with the Jade Engine from Beyond Good & Evil. It looked great on every platform the game was portetd to!

No way!

The engine used for BG&E had major framerate problems on every platform (ESPECIALLY PS2) and used small level chunks broken up by loading. It worked OK for the game, but it needed a LOT of work...

Oh, and that MGS2 skateboarding WAS a separate engine (the Evo Skateboarding engine was used, as noted above). It was only in the PS2 version of Substancee for that very reason...

Top Bottom