• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Imagining a Netherrealm horror fighting game

I'd rather the horror characters were in their own game and out of Mortal Kombat. I was ok with Freddy in Mk9 but when they put Jason, Leather, Alien and Predator in MK10 I was not really in board. I want MK characters as Dlc.

Just like Injustice, Scorpion in I1 was ok but now I2 is going to have Sub Zero and Raiden. That's one too many MK characters in Injustice for me lol.

Anyone familiar with the canon of the old Mortal Kombat games, I ask you this. What plot points from the regular timeline is featured in MKX, and is there validity to the idea that NRS wants to eventually work the canon back to the Pyramid in the opening of MK9?

And of all the characters from the original timeline, which are strong shoe-ins for being featured in future story modes, and which will probably end up on the chopping block? I know NRS' public stance is to not slam any of their previous games, but some of these characters come off like the writers ran out of ideas. I like how MKX introduced new characters, even if not all of them clicked. Still, does anyone think going forward that NRS will be more committed to completely new characters, or will they dip into the well and go with more post MK3 characters that haven't shown up in the story mode, since you could technically consider them new characters too, as they haven't yet made their story mode debut.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I'd rather they weren't restricted to a 2D screen and instead had room to roam and run/hide like the new Friday the 13th game.

Anyone familiar with the canon of the old Mortal Kombat games, I ask you this. What plot points from the regular timeline is featured in MKX, and is there validity to the idea that NRS wants to eventually work the canon back to the Pyramid in the opening of MK9?

And of all the characters from the original timeline, which are strong shoe-ins for being featured in future story modes, and which will probably end up on the chopping block? I know NRS' public stance is to not slam any of their previous games, but some of these characters come off like the writers ran out of ideas. I like how MKX introduced new characters, even if not all of them clicked. Still, does anyone think going forward that NRS will be more committed to completely new characters, or will they dip into the well and go with more post MK3 characters that haven't shown up in the story mode, since you could technically consider them new characters too, as they haven't yet made their story mode debut.

A lot of character endings referenced the likes Shujinko, Taven and Daegon. No way theyre working back to Armageddon though.

As far as 3D characters, BoRaiCho came back. I would think some of the Orderrealm and Chaosrealm characters could return: Hotaru, Ashrah, Havik

gafneo

Banned
This does seem like the appropriate next step for Nether Realms. I think this should be their next game for sure. Mortal Kombat and Injustice are already as fun as it gets. Lets get some new ideas out there.

J-Tier

I've dreamed about this game, and I want it.

My must have list would include from what you have listed:

Freddy Kreuger
Leatherface
Jason
T-800
Xenomorph
Predator
Ash

Followed by:

The Thing
Sadako (The Grudge)

Bonuses:

Candyman
Michael Myers
Ghostface
Jigsaw
Pennywise
Creeper (Jeepers Creepers)
Chuckie

Pazuzu has potential though, since he doesn't really have much to work off of in the source material, he could be really interesting.

Also: Cabin in the Woods stage.

A lot of character endings referenced the likes Shujinko, Taven and Daegon. No way theyre working back to Armageddon though.

As far as 3D characters, BoRaiCho came back. I would think some of the Orderrealm and Chaosrealm characters could return: Hotaru, Ashrah, Havik

Which characters do the creators seem to have to a fondness for that would suggest that they'd look to bring them back in? I can't see them justifying some of the more lamer characters in the series.

Spinky

Inject it into my goddamn veins.

I've made a roster for this multiple times, probably one of my gaming "dreams" at the moment.

Despite licensing issues and whatever I still think there's a chance it could happen, Boon's made it clear he's up for it.

Van Bur3n

What's Ghostface's supe? Tripping over his robes and falling through a window onto his opponent? Or harassing them over the phone?

I'm far les interested in Netherrealm in making another fighting game and more interested in them making an RPG, either a traditional Action RPG or a beat em up that has RPG elements would be ideal.

The Mortal Kombat universe deserves being expanded on.

Shaolin Monks 2. Make it happen.

As much as I love horror films, I just want Ed Boon to be chained to a desk for all eternity, forced to code a new Injustice game forever.
Sorry Ed.

eXistor

It'd be the first time I'd be genuinely interested in trying a fighting game again. MK's characters suck and superheroes are just incredibly stupid to me. Pitting horror protags and icons against each other is just something that needs to happen.

I would love this.

Suspiria themed stage would be amazing, especially if it had stage fatalities inspired by the death scenes in the movie.

Also, Pluto from The Hills Have Eyes (remake) could be a character worth including, I think that character would translate well to a fighting game.

Marcel

Netherrealm is excellent at making repulsive looking faces so they'd be perfect for a horror characters fighting game.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I'm down with it.... so long as the final boss is just named "Final Girl" and she's damn near impossible to beat.

Or they could make the story mode such that the start of it consists of the horror characters facing off against each other to see who would go on... and then after that phase you enter the boss phase where each opponent is a horror stereotype (Cabin in the Woods style).

zzzzzz...

The MK characters and lore is so much more interesting than horror movies.

MK lore is zzzzzz.

Do people really find it that interesting?

Some of the characters are kind of fun though.

Dismissing horror movies based on characters on lore is egregious as well. Some of those film franchises listed in the OP have a rich history and iconic characters.

I'm a bit skeptical on the idea. What kind of story could you have with all these characters? I suppose you could set up Ash as a protagonist, but NRS's story modes tend to take individual characters on their own arcs. That would be difficult when a lot of these guys' only goal is killing sexed up 80s teenagers.

From a gameplay level, I'm not sure everyone can be as unique as they would need to be for a fighter, while still keeping the essence of the characters intact.

But I'd be willing to let them take a shot at it!

I'm a bit skeptical on the idea. What kind of story could you have with all these characters? I suppose you could set up Ash as a protagonist, but NRS's story modes tend to take individual characters on their own arcs. That would be difficult when a lot of these guys' only goal is killing sexed up 80s teenagers.

A meta story where they are all thrown into a horror film together by some lovecraftian mechanism (ala In the Mouth of Madness) and they need to kill each other to escape or something.

Spinky

zzzzzz...

The MK characters and lore is so much more interesting than horror movies.

Is this a troll post or something? MK lore isn't even close to interesting, and this comes from someone who used to consider it his favourite game series ever.
Netherrealm is excellent at making repulsive looking faces so they'd be perfect for a horror characters fighting game.
Injustice 2 has proven those days are over.

From a gameplay level, I'm not sure everyone can be as unique as they would need to be for a fighter, while still keeping the essence of the characters intact.

But I'd be willing to let them take a shot at it!

My short and sweet ideas:

Instead of one long mashed together story, cut it down to bunches of characters interacting in a shorter vignettes playable as 'movies'. So a high school slasher movie with Buffy, Ghostface, and Herbert West as a school professor. Or a Camp Crystal Lake movie with Jason, Ash and uhh other people doing stuff.

Mechanics wise, I though of Primal Rage where you can eat your worshippers for bonuses. Since there's a divide here between heroic characters and villain characters, have dumb teenagers as interactables on stages that heroes save and killers kill.

I'm not into fighting games but I'd be all over this for appreciation of the characters and films.

I can't imagine Jigsaw as a fighter though. Maybe just an arena with Tobin Bell's voice playing in the BG?

MiguelItUp

I REALLY wish they'd do something like this. I remember there was that Terrordome game that was made by one person that basically did that. Wasn't the greatest, but still, it was kudos-worthy and was really cool to see. It just made me want something like that but with a higher budget and larger staff. Come on Netherrealm, let's see it! :D

dlauv

I was thinking Omen of Sorrow and Universal monsters when I clicked the topic. This idea is great.

I also support the You're Next girl and Johnny Cage. I'd like to see Buffy and maybe Sam and Dean in a Noob Saibot like style. But that's TV and all.

If you guys haven't, you should check out Terrordrome 2. It's pretty cute.

I'm not into fighting games but I'd be all over this for appreciation of the characters and films.

I can't imagine Jigsaw as a fighter though. Maybe just an arena with Tobin Bell's voice playing in the BG?

Announcer.

Metalmarc

Yup your not alone OP, many of us Horror fans have dreamed of this for years

Terrordrome is the fan version i'd like to see turned into a proper game

But, its the licensing thats the problem so most wouldn't appear as you already know

I made a list of all the ones that could potentially appear about a year ago, think it was more or less the same as your list though op, i'll have to see if i can find the list in my ipad later,when i get home from work

Top Bottom