• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IMAX Is Moving Away From 3-D: ‘Consumers Have Shown a Strong Preference’

Link.

IMAX thinks it’s time to ditch the plastic glasses.

After releasing disappointing second-quarter earnings late Wednesday, IMAX Entertainment CEO Greg Foster said in a conference call the giant-screen company would cut back on 3-D releases to rejuvenate the business.

Foster cited the strong early performance of Christopher Nolan’s WWII drama “Dunkirk,” which was filmed on IMAX cameras and generated nearly a quarter of its box office gross from IMAX theaters its opening weekend.

And it was not shot in 3-D — unusual for IMAX’s recent tentpole releases, but something Foster said to expect a lot more of going forward.

“It’s worth noting ‘Dunkirk’ was showing exclusively in 2-D, which consumers have shown a strong preference for,” Foster said on the call.

“Dunkirk” grossed more than $50 million domesticcally after its July 21 opening — impressive for a period war movie that does not involve the United States.

“We’re looking forward to playing fewer 3-D versions of films and more 2-D versions,” Foster added, mentioning that Warner Bros. “Blade Runner 2049” will be shown in 2-D exclusively at IMAX theaters when it opens in October.

As it moves to ditch 3-D, IMAX has recently opened its first virtual reality centers, where people strap on eyewear of a different kind to jump into immersive VR experiences using high-end rigs like the HTC Vive. And while Hollywood produced a record 68 3-D releases last year, the MPAA reported an 8 percent drop in attendance to those films.

All entertainment goggles are apparently not created equal.

SilentRob

Oh thank god. I was SO happy when I noticed that Dunkirk was only shown in 2D in IMAX over here. I'm not sure I have ever seen a 2D movie in IMAX, actually...

Actually consumers just have a strong preference for good movies. Dunkirks success had nothing to really to do with it being in 2d.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Thank you. No more pop up book looking bullshit. It can be especially annoying in IMAX when the screen is already nearly filling up your field of view and you throw glasses on top of it.

I would love to see more imax 3d, but the nearest one is an hour away. I drove 90 minutes to see 70mm dunkirk at the one imax theater in ct showing it. I generally prefer seeing films in 3d at my local theater but I usually have to go by myself.

Good move. Skull Island wasn't shown in Dolby for some reason when it came out in my local AMC so I had to settle for IMAX 3-D. Would have definitely preferred regular Liemax instead.

Serrato

Good.

I don't think I ever saw a movie where seeing it in 3D actually enhanced the experience (even Avatar).

It mostly just dim the movie and shoves things in your face because ThreeeDeeeeeeeeee

Oh and it cost more for me which is the actual reason why it's used.

Steejee

Admittedly, I do like 3D IMAX when it's one of the laser 4k systems - with those it's bright/crisp enough that the 3D doesn't give me a headache and looks damn good. Not going to lament it falling off though, far too many movies it only serves as a distraction in.

I actually mentioned on here just a few weeks ago that I noticed my local theater was showing more 2D imax than before. As.someone who doesn't give a fuck about 3D, I'm pretty glad.

Thank fuck. 3D only serves to take away from the movie. Still mad Blade Runner is gonna be 3D.

Edit: Oh, 2D IMAX. Yessssss.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Thank god. I expect 3D to come back again in 15-20 years, but only when they figure out how to get rid of the glasses

Cowlick

Banned
As it moves to ditch 3-D, IMAX has recently opened its first virtual reality centers, where people strap on eyewear of a different kind to jump into immersive VR experiences using high-end rigs like the HTC Vive. And while Hollywood produced a record 68 3-D releases last year, the MPAA reported an 8 percent drop in attendance to those films.
4uQF4c8JyqcwbIPPNuNZKhsOfE8=.gif

gamz

My buddy went to see Dunkirk this weekend in IMAX and was confused by 2D. He said what's that? I said a normal movie dummy.

kewlmyc

3D is cool if the movie takes advantage of it, but it can just outright damage a movie if it's just added on. Also if the movie is naturally dark.

For example, Spiderman Homecoming's 3D was fun, while War of the Planet of the Apes' 3D was pointless and just made it harder to see stuff.

Somnid

People have a preference for 2D or people have a preference to not pay $3+ more per ticket to the same movie?

creatchee

Yeah, I love the huge screens of IMAX and the curated sound systems, but the 3D put me off of seeing a lot of movies in that format that I would have otherwise.

Honestly though, I go to Cinebistro (a dine-in theater with reclining chairs) exclusively now. With the rise of digital and on demand entertainment, I really need a good reason to leave the house to see movies anymore.

This would be great. I love the IMAX format, we have an actual IMAX theater here in Raleigh, but I have barely been since they started showing damn near everything in 3D.

Actually consumers just have a strong preference for good movies. Dunkirks success had nothing to really to do with it being in 2d.

Between imax stepping away from 3D and tv companies having already dropped it for modern sets, I think it's pretty clear most consumers either don't care or actively dislike 3D.

I'm curious if this is actually a good way to make 3D more of an event now. So, something like A2 will seem more special to see in 3D when everything isn't available in it, and you can no longer get that experience at home.

The problem with 3D was the studios deciding everything needed to be shown in it so they could charge a premium. There was nothing special about slapping 3D on to every piece of shit that hit the cinema. So, will this make it more unique, and actually be an experience draw, or will it just slowly be killed off completely over the next few years. Would be pretty crazy for 3D to just not even be an option by the time Avatar 2 finally comes out.

gamz

Between imax stepping away from 3D and tv companies having already dropped it for modern sets, I think it's pretty clear most consumers either don't care or actively dislike 3D.

I'm curious if this is actually a good way to make 3D more of an event now. So, something like A2 will seem more special to see in 3D when everything isn't available in it, and you can no longer get that experience at home.

The problem with 3D was the studios deciding everything needed to be shown in it so they could charge a premium. There was nothing special about slapping 3D on to every piece of shit that hit the cinema. So, will this make it more unique, and actually be an experience draw, or will it just slowly be killed off completely iver the next few years. Would be pretty crazy for 3D to just not even be an option by the time Avatar 2 finally comes out.

Yup

LewieP

Well duh.

I go to imax because I want the best audio/visual experience. Why would I want to wear dumb glasses and have a darkened image?

Maybe when they solve the dimming problem, and can do it without glasses, but for now, 3D cinema is always a downgrade.

Edit: Plus most live action stuff not actually being shot in 3D, so it's that mediocre cardboard cutout style. It makes a bit more sense for CGI stuff, but for live action less so.

Blader

I hope this applies immediately to the next Avengers movies. They're both being shot in IMAX, but I have no interest in actually seeing them in that format if they're only going to be seen in IMAX 3D.

Sesha

Music to my, uh, eyes. I don't get nausea or anything, but 3D is always painful and annoying for me. There's no IMAX here, but the biggest theater is always 3D only for every movie that's played there. I always wondered if people actually liked 3D, with having to wear glasses throughout the movie, scenes of stuff flying towards you that take you out of what's going on, higher ticket prices, and having to buy glasses if you don't have them with you. It always felt like a suboptimal deal. Maybe with bad movies there's an appeal, same with 4DX, but with good movies I would imagine you just want to enjoy the story and visuals without gimmicks.

Top Bottom