• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IMAX Is Moving Away From 3-D: ‘Consumers Have Shown a Strong Preference’

The Hermit

Good riddance

I hated 3D since Avatar. The only movie that I actually enjoyed with 3D effect was Pacific Rim, and that because I watched in a 4D theater with moving chairs and water spray. It was glorious

Die 3D-cinema, DIEEEEE!

It´s bad, makes the picture look worse, costs me extra and makes it basically impossible to watch a movie on a big screen in 2D. It´s been basically dead on TV for some time and can´t wait for it´s death at the theater.

Thank god. 3D in general is trash to me.

Will this impact Cameron's plans for the next 40 avatar movies and the rebooted terminators he wants to do?

I wouldn't mind 3D if it wasn't so poorly done. Most of the time characters look like cutouts, and I can almost always see ghosting. Also if you want a film to be shown in 3D film it in 3D.

DonShula

I've preferred 2D IMAX over 3D for pretty much every movie I've seen. None of the 3D films I've seen this summer (GOTG2, Wonder Woman, Spider-man) made any beneficial use of 3D for my tastes. I would have preferred to have seen all of them in 2D had showtimes not been an issue.

Rogue One in 2D IMAX is still my favorite.

Magypsy

fucking finally

Only movie I saw that was worth it in 3D was Jackass 3D. I expected Toy Story 3 to be a real treat in 3D but I lost the 3D effect after about 15 minutes.

Didn't see Avatar in 3D tho

DonShula

Good riddance

I hated 3D since Avatar. The only movie that I actually enjoyed with 3D effect was Pacific Rim, and that because I watched in a 4D theater with moving chairs and water spray. It was glorious

Had no idea this was even an option. Would have loved to experience that. Pacific Rim seems like the exact type of movie that 3D would actually help.

HariKari

“Blade Runner 2049” will be shown in 2-D exclusively at IMAX theaters when it opens in October.

Thank fuck.

The image quality hit is just not worth it for most movies when doing 3D. Most are lazy conversions that just look muddy. Won't miss it.

Toothless

Sweet. Hopefully this mean Last Jedi in IMAX 2D. Had to see TFA in IMAX 3D and it was alright but ultimately kinda annoying

JB1981

The new Blade Runner trailer playing before Dunkirk looked pretty awesome blown up in IMAX. Will def be seeing it in that format.

Dolby Cinema def has the edge in image quality though. Black levels are much better

The Hobo

The only movie I have watched in 3D is Avatar, and it didn't do anything to enhance the film. I even stopped noticing it after ten minutes. And that was a film specifically shot with 3D firmly in mind.

It's a gimmick, and not one that is all that interesting.

3D will be great in Avatar sequels. And it was pretty damn amazing in Gravity too, but these are examples from directors who really engaged with the format.

Otherwise I dont wanna see that 3D shit and I hate it when I am forced to for nearly every big summer movie.

IMAX 2D for Star Wars please. Glad Blade Runner is going that route (assuming it shot anything in the format).

br3wnor

What makes you think Avatar 2 won't be 3D?

I highly doubt Avatar 2 comes anywhere near the original Avatar’s box office. Avatar was the perfect storm of being a Cameron backed visual spectacle and the first big 3D movie. The movie itself was whatever but a lot of people turned out because of the novelty of the 3D.

I’ve never gotten much out of 3D movies so I’m glad they’re starting to move away from them.

Metalmarc

3D is slightly at fault why Dredd failed at the box office (amongst a few other things like marketing & name) because it was in 3D a lot of cinemas didnt screen it in 2D apparently

The 3D on Dredd was awesome though

Good news.
Last film I saw in 3D was Force Awakens and that's because I didn't have a choice. I didn't even care for it in Avatar. The only film where I thought the 3D was tolerable was Prometheus but that's because any Ridley Scott film is always a feast for the eyes.

Didn't know Blade Runner 2049 was showing on IMAX, hell yeah! Saw a trailer for it in front of Dunkirk at BFI IMAX, looked stunning. Can't wait.

Death to 3D!

I stopped going to movies if there was no 2D format. I usually saw everything I was skipping because it got standard format shows after the first few weeks, but it sucked not to see some things right away.

When I worked at a movie theater the reaction to 3D was consistently and always terrible. Watching people throw their crappy glasses away in disgust was always something to behold. Our DM would say "we spent all this money upgrading to 3D because it was supposed to make the cost back in a year but the tickets are selling like shit."

And we'd just shrug. Because everybody hated 3D in every movie except for Avatar and, like, Kung Fu Panda II. I think it was around Puss in Boots where the domestic gross showed definitively that more people chose 2D showings than 3D showings, but the 3D upcharge was enough to justify the 3D shows still.

It makes sense for IMAX to abandon 3D when they have fewer movies a year and already differentiate from standard formats.

Only IMAX I have available to me is 3D. And while a movie being IMAX is still worth it, depending on movie, it sometimes annoys me to go to a cinema with awesome quality only to not be able to see anything because it's too dark, unfocused or generally poor quality 3D.

Hope it goes 2D, or movies start actually being made for 3D, none of this 3D but not really crap...

I highly doubt Avatar 2 comes anywhere near the original Avatar’s box office. Avatar was the perfect storm of being a Cameron backed visual spectacle and the first big 3D movie. The movie itself was whatever but a lot of people turned out because of the novelty of the 3D.

I’ve never gotten much out of 3D movies so I’m glad they’re starting to move away from them.

Almost everyone was convinced both Avatar and Titanic were going to be the biggest failures in cinema history.

I too doubt Avatar 2's potential. But doubting Cameron doesn't seem to work out.

People doubting Avatar 2 or IMAX's support of it will be cumming their pants when Cameron gives them Pandora in bright, laser-projected IMAX HFR 3D.

jmdajr

I look forward to the cheaper ticket prices then.

giphy.gif

Zizbuka

Banned
I've seen 1 movie in 3D, Avatar, and hated it. It was like my eyes kept getting pulled from the action, to the weird plants/bugs/etc.

I think 3D is good at amusement parks, the little films they show are great for kids.

Alcibiades

I've skipped so many IMAX and RPX showings because they are in 3D (including most comic book and "tentpole" films).

Wish they would cut out 3D completely but at least this is a good start.

EGM1966

Thank Goodness. I've been drifting away from IMAX due to excessive pushing of 3D. It's simply not taken off for films overall and it's time to accept that. Happy to have choice but it had gone beyond choice to 3D being excessively pushed.

Blizzard

Banned
I wanted to see Valerian in IMAX 3D, but I had to see it in digital 3D instead because Homecoming + Dunkirk were taking up the IMAX screens.

I'm probably a small part of the potential audience though. :p

Top Bottom