• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IMAX Is Moving Away From 3-D: ‘Consumers Have Shown a Strong Preference’

I have no issue with IMAX 3D glasses really.

Personally, I don't really have any issue with 3D movies if they're done well. But if I had to choose between something like Avatar where they shot it in 3D or something like Dunkirk where they actually shot it in IMAX, I'd go with legit 70mm IMAX every single time.

That's what IMAX should be pushing for- more directors and studios pushing forward with 70mm IMAX and trying to have better legit IMAX theaters- whether that's 70mm IMAX film or better IMAX laser projection so you have that 1:43 aspect ratio for things shot in IMAX.

Seeing non IMAX filmed movies in IMAX is still fine, even if it's 2D. I mean, I saw Logan in 2D IMAX and that was fine. Issue with the IMAX I go to is that it's an older IMAX theater that has the proper huge screen but they took out the IMAX 70mm film projectors and replaced them with the Xenon digital IMAX so that they could do the IMAX 3D movies. The only times they've dusted off the 70mm IMAX film projectors in the past has been for Nolan's movies- The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises and Interstellar. But for Dunkirk, since it's been almost 3 years since Interstellar, they weren't going to do the maintenance and cost of getting a special projectionist out here to just show Dunkirk in 70mm IMAX. I'd assume if more movies were utilizing IMAX 70mm film, it might be a little more financially feasible.

Now work on dropping the prices.

$20 to see Dunkirk at 10:30 am Saturday morning? Nah

Go to a better theater- I saw Dunkirk around the same time on Saturday in IMAX (non 70mm) for $9 a ticket.

Slaythe

3D is the worst thing they came up with tbh.

It makes the picture dull, lose details, tire the eyes, can give some headache. Half the directors feel forced to have their "3D shitty shot" that is super stupid in 2D.

It's so bad. Glad people are giving up on this shit.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It might be just me, but until Dunkirk I associated the IMAX brand with 3D, I thought that was all they did.

WOW! You must be very young, because IMAX has only been known for 2D movies during their history. Until the last few years.

-griffy-

Banned
This is good news, it's been a bit of a shame that the best theater in MN is the IMAX at the MN Zoo, with a single screen. Which meant that most blockbusters (outside of Nolan's movies and Skyfall, that I can recall) since Avatar have only been shown in 3D there.

I hope The Last Jedi is in 2d Imax. Fuck 3d.

Probably will be. Johnson shot scenes using IMAX cameras.

WOW! You must be very young, because IMAX has only been known for 2D movies during their history. Until the last few years.

It's actually kind of a problem with IMAX, and has been for awhile. The brand came to be so identified with 3D by default that IMAX has spent the last year basically implementing "THE 2D EXPERIENCE" as branding on their non-3D screens.

Basically - IMAX had to make up a new nonsense term to describe showing regular ass big movies because IMAX had become synonymous with 3D, and that was hurting them.

Ignacious

Neo Member
tenor.gif

Maybe they could also be more selective with what movies get the imax treatment. A few years ago an exec complained they were losing money because the movies were shit and that hasn't seemed to change.

louiedog

Great! I used to see something at my IMAX 5 or 6 times a year. I haven't been since like 2008 or 2009 because they don't show anything in 2D anymore.

kswiston

I think that moving away from regular 3D will be easier for exhibitors now that audiences are being trained to seek out premium shows, whether that be IMAX, Ultra AVX, DBOX, or VIP/18+ screenings.

All of those carry larger premiums than regular 3D, and have perceived value aside from weating a pair of plastic glasses to get a darker, blurrier experience.

Why would they if IMAX itself is phasing out 3D screenings?

Why pay for a conversion to a format the owners of that format don't even really want anymore?

Conversions will become a China tax. I also expect them to be done as cheap as possible.

How would 3D even work without glasses? You need a different image for each eye, and as long as the screen is a 2d surface the only way to do that is to block half the image from each eye, whether by strobing alternate frames or by polarising the image. Other than making the screen itself 3 dimensional somehow or beaming images directly into each eye separately, which both seem far-fetched, I'm not even sure how it's possible. I know the 3ds did it with a lenticular screen, but that only works for one person directly in front of the screen and isn't feasible for a theatre full of viewers all in different positions

Chris R

$20 dollars?

Yes, $20.

$17.95 + $2.00 Fandango Fee.

I'd go to another IMAX screen to see it but it's the only IMAX screen here :(

Won't pay that for Dunkirk, but I'll be there for sure if there is a 2D showing for Star Wars at the end of the year.

Conversions will become a China tax. I also expect them to be done as cheap as possible.

Great point.

But is there a point on the horizon where international audiences hit the point we've hit, or is that farther out than the less-than-a-decade lifespan we've lived with it.

MadeULook

Good.

Personally I can't stand movies in 3D and much prefer IMAX in 2D. From the few 3D IMAX movies I've seen it's usually pretty garbage 3D anyway.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
As it moves to ditch 3-D, IMAX has recently opened its first virtual reality centers, where people strap on eyewear of a different kind to jump into immersive VR experiences using high-end rigs like the HTC Vive. And while Hollywood produced a record 68 3-D releases last year, the MPAA reported an 8 percent drop in attendance to those films.

All entertainment goggles are apparently not created equal.

I thought this last bit was interesting. I thought for sure they wouldnt be doing anything with VR then...lol

The profits for VR must be higher. That or its cheaper to deal with VR vs 3D movies.

I saw Spiderman Homecoming in 3D because all the 2D tickets were sold out on the day.

I gotta admit, I don't remember anything about 3D in the movie because 3D isn't a memorable experience, it's just cool for the hour or so and then you forget you even saw the movie in it.

jstripes

Banned
Yes, $20.

$17.95 + $2.00 Fandango Fee.

I'd go to another IMAX screen to see it but it's the only IMAX screen here :(

Won't pay that for Dunkirk, but I'll be there for sure if there is a 2D showing for Star Wars at the end of the year.

Fandango has a fine racket going in the States. One that I don't understand at all. The major theatre chain up here, Cineplex, lets you buy tickets online for no extra fee. There's no third party service involved.

Rogan

Banned
Good, please stop the 3D movies. I enjoyed Avatar and Transformers: Dark of the Moon because they where in active 3D. Currently everything at my local theater is shown in 3D and it adds nothing to the experience. It's dark, blurry and distracting.

My 60" oled supports 3D and I watched one or two movies in 3D.

Dunkrik and Alien: Covenant showed that movies work perfectly without 3D.

Did you guys got a chance to play Assassins Creed 3 in 3D on PS3? I was amazed how good it worked and would love to see it more with games.

Since most movies have on the path of shooting fake 3D, I don’t care for it anymore. I’m glad it’ll be easier to get an IMAX showing without having to wear those massive glasses.

Oh thank god, I refuse to see movies in 3D in theaters anymore its just annoying and I am paying tons extra for the annoyance and usually the only IMAX theaters in town show movies in 3D the first week they are open, which means I never see them in IMAX (fake IMAX sadly).

I'm not the biggest fan of 3D, but I also would still like to see it persist for movies natively shot for 3D, especially now with better projection methods available (IMAX Laser). I'm fine with it still being a thing for the Avatars and Tron sequels (please gives it to us, Disney).

Xyber

Good, let it die. I have skipped watching a movie at the theater several times now because it was only showing the 3D-version at the good theater here.

Top Bottom