• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In-game songs few people paid attention to...

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Endless Mine Zone

I bet some of you missed out on this excellent little tune, or heard it just a few times without paying much attention to it, because it could only be heard on the 2-player stage with the same name. It's been in my head for years, and it's one of those songs I'll always be able to play on my keyboard (the musical kind).

Got any other songs you think most people missed out on for one reason or another?

The Genesis Castlevania, though mostly ignored by series fans, has some fantastic tracks.

"Iron Blue Intention" is every bit as good as Vampile Killer or Bloody Tears, in my book. Note that the Konami Rock arrangement of it is at like 50% speed. And sucks.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
JackFrost2012 said:
The Genesis Castlevania, though mostly ignored by series fans, has some fantastic tracks.

"Iron Blue Intention" is every bit as good as Vampile Killer or Bloody Tears, in my book. Note that the Konami Rock arrangement of it is at like 50% speed. And sucks.

Yeah, it has some really great music! "Reincarnated Soul" and "Prayer of a Tragic Queen" are other favorites of mine. And it's actually my favorite "action" Castlevania game. :)

hobbitx

Some of the worst/most underrated games I've ever played had some of the best music I ever heard.

The music from the first level of Beauty and the Beast is amazing to listen to, I keep the rom of it just so I can hear that song. Another really great song is the main screen song from an old pc game called Shadowlands, I swear if you have a soundcard that supports dos you should try it, it is the weirdest song I've ever heard, crazy techno-folk. Don't even get me started on how many beautiful tracks Super Valis IV has.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Sol Deace for the Genesis had some great tunes.

A rare shooter too, not many know it despiting its quality (I still can't understand how it got such low scores)

ourumov

I was impressed by Outtrigger...I haven't found a decent soundtrack yet. Older examples include al all-mighty PLOK ! on SNES, GunGage (by Michiru Yamane) or Fire Emblem 776 ;) .

I have tons of pet favorites, here are a few soundtracks that come to mind:

720 (Atari Games, arcade) - Totally kickass skate-punk soundtrack, which despite the huge "boom box" marquee and speakers was too hard to hear well in most arcades. It was released on a (strangely) Japan-only album called "That's Atari Music!," which is very hard to find. I had a rip of it briefly but lost it in a hard drive crash a while back. :(

Point Blank/Gunbullet (Namco, arc/psx) - I just think most people ignored the music in this one because it was a light gun game. It's really too bad, since its soundtrack is on-par with other new-era Namco games (Drill Land, Katamari, Outfoxies) in terms of totally bizarre and eclectic awesomeness.

Mario Party 1 - Again, to most people the music in a game like Mario Party is probably the least important and least memorable thing. It really rocks, though. The only way I can get people to even consider checking it out is by telling them that Yasunori Mitsuda composed it, which I don't think most people realized.

Poy Poy 2 (Konami, psx) - The more I bring this one up, the more I believe I'm the only person alive who has actually played it. That said, the music is fucking rad, though none of you will ever hear it. That is, unless I do a game rip, which I won't be able to post a link to for fear of being banned.

As for specific songs that might have been overlooked or possibly never even heard by a lot of people, which I think was the whole point of this thread, two of my big ones are from Um Jammer Lammy - specifically the songs "Treasure" and "Keep Your Head Up." Neither are actual level songs. Treasure is the song that you get to hear a few bars of as a parade of pregnant women parade down the street, and Keep Your Head Up is the ending credits theme. Both rule, though neither seems to stick in the minds of people who have played the game. Not even big fans of the game.

Another big one was the sort of hip-hop tune that plays in an endless loop in the background of the c64 breakdancing classic "Break Street." I haven't played the game since I was 5 or 6, but I still catch myself singing the tune practically daily. The bass line hooked me for LIFE!

thomaser

Tons of songs I could mention... here's a few of them:

There's a tune in Super Castlevania IV for the SNES that's not in the game, but you can listen to it on the soundtest. I don't remember the number for it, but it's one of the last songs. It's utterly fantastic, with an accordion, flute and harp amongst other instruments, and has the whole playful gypsy-vibe. The best melody I've ever heard in a Castlevania, and that says a lot!

I also think the music in the snow-mountain in Paper Mario for the N64 is quite awesome. Mellow and mysterious at the same time, and with a killer beat!

Also, the beach-level music in Kirby 64! Insanely addictive and beautiful. It's also strangely comforting... just the thing to listen to if you're a bit down.

mrfindlay

Neo Member
I can't get the Street Fighter II end credits theme out of my head. I think it's called "Ready to Fight" (or at least that’s what the vocal version of it was called on the album "Capcom Game Sounds Music 6 - Varth"). The original and the super versions of the track are different but I can't decide which one is better.

I think Rygar for the NES has a pretty damn good soundtrack. As well as Ducktales and Street Fighter 2010.

On the Genesis, I loved the soundtracks to Gunstar Heroes, Dynamite Headdy, Ranger X, Crusader of Centy, Lightening Force, and Rocket Knight Adventure.

For the SNES, I really dug Pocky & Rocky's music, and no one really talks about Super Mario RPG's tunes, but I think it's in the top five SNES soundtracks of all time.

And on the Saturn, everyone loves Panzer Dragoon's soundtrack, but Saga, and especially Zwei blows it away (I can't get enough of the title and credits songs).

BuddyC

bobbyconover said:
Poy Poy 2 (Konami, psx) - The more I bring this one up, the more I believe I'm the only person alive who has actually played it. That said, the music is fucking rad, though none of you will ever hear it. That is, unless I do a game rip, which I won't be able to post a link to for fear of being banned.

If it makes you feel better, I heard about Poy Poy 2 and even saw the case once or twice.

explodet

JackFrost2012 said:

Requiem for the Nameless Victims is still my favorite Castlevania arrangement. And it's from Bloodlines!

Top Bottom