• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In Remembrance of Xbox (Favorite and Worst Memory)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aerts1js

Listen - now that MS is announcing their huge future games are also coming to PS5 it’s as good as dead. I figured now is as good of a time as any to hold a eulogy in remembrance of it.

What was your favorite memory of it ? What was your worst ?

I guess my favorite was the first half of the 360 era when they were firing on all cylinders and was probably the best console out there for a few years .. probably would have continued to crush it if the wii didn’t come out and entice MS to go full retard with the Kinect.

Worst Memory? When MS again went full retard and figured their own internal studios were no match to Sony’s so bought two huge publishers to produce games for a console that no one was buying which resulted in them being forced to go third party. Also i guess their dollar a month game pass (who knew !) wouldn’t be enough to support these costly productions.

We will miss you Xbox.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
wtf GIF

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
I still think that OG and 360 before Kinect was Microsoft’s best contribution in gaming. So many wildly creative and beautiful games, especially Halo by Bungie and oddball series like Fable.

I miss these times, where Xbox was a very distinct platform with their own style of exclusives like Viva Pinata and Kameo.

aerts1js

I still think that OG and 360 before Kinect was Microsoft’s best contribution in gaming. So many wildly creative and beautiful games, especially Halo by Bungie and oddball series like Fable.

I miss these times, where Xbox was a very distinct platform with their own style of exclusives like Viva Pinata and Kameo.
They had a seriously solid run there for a few years.

Codes 208

Best: going to the halo reach midnight release with my friends (which also happened to be the year we graduated so we had weeks to enjoy before most of us went off to college/work

Worst: the xbox one reveal back in 2013.
“Tvtvtvtvkinecttvtvrkinectkinecttvtvtv” single-handedly sold me on a ps4,
Or at least it would've if not for my die hard fanboyism as the time.

Actually the worst moment i can think of was buying halo mcc at launch, just for it to be a broken mess. This was when thedownfall of halo and xbox started for me.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Since when is Xbox dead?
Check out that other over reaction thread - console gaming itself is dead.
Sony and MS are pissing on console gamings still warm corpse.
Also PC gaming is dead, it's more stutter than game now.
And switch 2 is an underpowered piece of trash.

Last edited:

demonstr8

T
Check out that other over reaction thread - console gaming itself is dead.
Sony and MS are pissing on console gamings still warm corpse.
Also PC gaming is dead, it's more stutter than game now.
And switch 2 is an underpowered piece of trash.
These are all actually true in some way lol.
Xbox is pretty much dead though but Microsoft Gaming is rising from it's corpse.

GAMING REVENUES

CURRENT 2024 data so far (not full year yet) -
PlayStation: $26.79 billion
Xbox: $15.47 billion
Nintendo: $12.04 billion

PlayStation: $30.12 billion
Xbox: $18.13 billion
Nintendo: $12.08 billion

PlayStation: $24.41 billion
Xbox: $15.56 billion
Nintendo: $12.6 billion

PlayStation: $24.87 billion
Xbox: $16.28 billion
Nintendo: $15.3 billion

PlayStation: $22.67 billion
Xbox: $13.83 billion
Nintendo: $12.1 billion

PlayStation: $20.84 billion
Xbox: $11.57 billion
Nintendo: $11.4 billion

As for my best and worst memories; Bungie for Halo CE LAN and Halo 2/3 online being best, worst was 343 trashing Halo MCC and a series of shite Halo campaigns and mixed multiplayer games.

Last edited:

wipeout364

IMO these threads are really annoying to be honest, I don’t think they add anything of value to GAF. If someone posts this sort of garbage in a reply to a thread I don’t care, but just creating a thread to dump on a console is just brutal. I would never make a thread just to crap
on Sony or Nintendo in this way.

Shouldn’t we want all the consoles to survive.

rm082e

What was your favorite memory of it ? What was your worst ?

Favorite: The hundreds of hours I spent playing Halo CE and Ninja Gaiden Black. I got two of my all time favorites on one console at a time when I had few responsibilities and tons of time to binge on them.

Worst:

200w.gif

El Muerto

Gold Member
Favorite: All those one-off IPs that we saw during the OG and 360 era. Hanging out with friends playing Halo and Gears multiplayer while getting drunk as fuck.
Worst? When both my og Xbox and 360 both got the RROD.
The brand isnt going anywhere. Hoping we still get consoles because I prefer playing games on my Xbox than PS5. If they go OEM, and the console makers use different specs, then the Xbox brand will crash. No developer is going to make games specifically for xbox if each console has different specs.

RavageX

So...introduction to paying for Live....BS. Brought about complete foolishness.

Good notes....I enjoyed my time with the OG Xbox. I first played Morrowind and stuck with it there. Other small gems like Outlaw Tennis(or was it Golf?) Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball actually being a decent game(from what I remember) and Project Gotham being not bad.

Skipped the 360 and Xbox One.

Having said that, I think the Xbox One announcement didn't do them any favors. SO focused on tv that they forgot about the games.

Danknugz

IMO these threads are really annoying to be honest, I don’t think they add anything of value to GAF. If someone posts this sort of garbage in a reply to a thread I don’t care, but just creating a thread to dump on a console is just brutal. I would never make a thread just to crap

there's clearly a lot of pent up aggression and wounds still open, or something. xbox fans would maybe make some dumb memes and have fun about it, from what i've seen it seems playstation fans in general take it way more serious almost personally, and try way harder. that's why you see so many threads like this unfortunately.

for me it's all good i am a playstation fan as well, i loved the PS2 and PS1.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Best memory - playing LAN Halo 1
Worst memory - being shit at Halo
Only memories - see above

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Best memory: When they finally got their shit together and made a 360 that wouldn't die. A great console with great actual exclusives.
Least Favorite: Everything after. They fell off the cliff immediately after the 360.

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Best:
Getting home from school, no responsibilities, booting up the 360, Modern Warfare 2, Halo 3, Doritos, Mountain Dew, Creed blasting on the Radio.

Worst:
Getting home from work, many responsibilities, booting up the Series X, Halo Infinite, Starfield, no doritos, no mountian dew, no music playing, games are boring. I dose off dreaming of what was and what will never be.

The original Xbox was my first experience with surround sound in games. The console had native Dolby digital, and I think every game supported it. I don't recall the game (maybe mechassault or phantasy star online), but I remember being totally wowed when my character ran through some water and I could hear the splashes behind me. Amazing.

I sold off all my Xbox stuff a year later to buy a PS2. Never touched Xbox again until a friend gave me his old Xbox One S just so I could play Blue Dragon. I still don't have any Xbox One games, since they are all superior on PS4. However, I do have a stack of approximately 20 Xbox 360 games I will play one day.

Perrott

Favorite memory... Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain trailer at E3 2013, followed by the two Metal Gear Solid: Rising appearances at E3 2009 and E3 2010.

Worst memory? The drifting on my Xbox controller just months after being purchased.

CashPrizes

Worst memory is the 2nd Red Ring of Death. I had one like a year before, sent it in for the free fix. Then the 2nd one happened, I can't remember what I was playing at the time. But I had to buy a brand new Xbox because Mass Effect 3 was out in a few months and I was pretty tied to my main Shepard I had played in ME1 and 2 on 360. Also after I bought a new Xbox 360, like 1 month later they announced a better version with (I think with HDMI and a larger HD and slim) that released the same day as they announced it....

Never bought a Xbone or Series.

Best memory is probably playing Panzer Dragoon Orta and Jet Set Radio Future on original Xbox. Also KOTOR, all 3 of those are like within a year of each other.

Last edited:

Mephisto40

My worst memory was finally buying an xbox this gen, and then realising Starfield was the only thing I wanted to play on it, which turned out to be a sub par game

My best memory was cancelling my game pass subscription a month ago when they decided to hike the prices up again and move day 1 releases to a different subscription tier for no good reason

Last edited:

T-0800

dawsons creek dawson GIF

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Classic Gaf.

Xbox as a console is dead/dying and next gen will be the final nail in the coffin where it transitions out of its caterpillar form into a beautiful butterfly of gaming PC goodness! *cringe* lol

But yes, the memory's of Co op on halo 3, gears of war and many more. They changed the industry and lost their way at the end of the 360 generation.

Mownoc

Don't rush it. Didn't anyone teach you to savour your food.

Best memory of Xbox is probably my launch 360, PGR3 blew my mind with the graphics in the garage.

Worst memory is obviously everything related to the Xbox One. It's just been a slow continual collapse ever since 2013.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom