• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In Remembrance of Xbox (Favorite and Worst Memory)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozzie666

OG Xbox at launch, in Australia they had gave out free games. If I recall Dead or Alive 3, Ralisport and Halo? Was a great launch and I loved the OG Duke controller.
Playing KOTOR was also special.

Knightime_X

Honestly, all it does in make them even more money.
It's not like they're gonna put it on ps5 and NOT make a colossal profit.

BlackTron

Honestly, all it does in make them even more money.
It's not like they're gonna put it on ps5 and NOT make a colossal profit.

Right, as a publisher...where it outsells the Xbox version and makes money.

But they will still have a non-subsidized "PC console" just because they're Microsoft therefore, console not "dead".

The memories

Loved my og Xbox and 360, until the pivot of Kinect & the tv, tv, tv world that came after

Some amazingly good times and memories. The cod 4 beta and then the 3 mw games. halo and gears trilogies for changing the gaming world. Peak gta. Dead or alive. My jaw dropping (at the time) at kameo with so many characters onscreen, pgr. I could go on ….

Then your ninja gaiden, Tony hawks and jet set radio to name just a few. What a time for games and consoles. (Some dodgy hardware aside*). The genuine fun and surprise of Xbox arcade.

The incredible hardware and visuals. Xbox live. The gigantic duke controller. The weird dvd enabled key. Custom sound tracks. No more memory cards (less you had an original core 😁). The release 360 and controller (I still have my gears 3 360 and it’s ageing like fine wine 🫶🏽)

* my og Xbox was fine and well treated since launch. I went on holiday and came back and it never turned on again 😱.

And I had around double figures with the dance I had with the rrod. But that was all part of the fun of the time. Now we have controllers that don’t go ‘straight’ 🤣😬) I even remember some crazy game trade in deals. For consoles and games for £1. The mid night launches 😀

It truly was me living my best gaming life

But for me, m$ clearly lost their way when they went after the casual crowd and that magic & imagination has never returned both in games and hardware (my own take and not to be offended by. Especially if you love your Xbox. Go play and enjoy 👍😎)

Last edited:
OG Xbox at launch, in Australia they had gave out free games. If I recall Dead or Alive 3, Ralisport and Halo? Was a great launch and I loved the OG Duke controller.
Playing KOTOR was also special.
They're the exact 3 games I bought on launch day. In the UK no free games at all, only a month or so later with MS dropped the price of the XB and handed out free games to those of us who overpaid at the start (I think it was 2 - helped keep the ill feeling at bay at least...)

Ozzie666

They're the exact 3 games I bought on launch day. In the UK no free games at all, only a month or so later with MS dropped the price of the XB and handed out free games to those of us who overpaid at the start (I think it was 2 - helped keep the ill feeling at bay at least...)

To be fair they offered a special deal because the console was over priced beyond belief. This is when a PS2 was near 1,000 AUD, I can't recall the launch price for Xbox, I paid it happily. It may have even been a mail-in order thing too.

Alan Wake

BEST
I have very fond memories of the first Xbox. Still the only console I've picked up at launch. It was very expensive in my country (the equivalent of 760 USD today) and they slashed the price by 150 USD after only two months giving us who bought it for 500 USD an extra controller and two free games (not many to choose from tbh). I was a student at the time but once I played Halo it was all worth it. Those jaw dropping moments that game had is something we just don't see anymore. I remember racing through my own town of Stockholm playing my own music on that Swedish radio station in PGR2. It all felt magic, really like the next generation of gaming.

I also remember Xbox 360 very fondly, despite the hardware issues. Halo 3, Condemned, PGR3, Alan Wake and tons of other games made it an amazing console. After 2010 it all went downhill for Xbox, and I bought the PS4 before I finally got the Xbox One, which still ended up as my main platform that gen (One S and One X were really good).

WORST
When everything was about Kinect. Seriously, look at the E3 shows after 2010. I know Nintendo started it with the Wii, and the great success of the KInect sort of made this choice for Microsoft, but as a core gamer it felt shit. And then the Xbox One reveal, obviously. In May 2013 I was so hyped for the next generation of Xbox. You all know how that went. I've seen that reveal over and over again, trying to understand how they could've thought this was a good way to reveal a console. And I still don't get it. I just bought the Xbox One Kinect to try it out since I got the console when they had unbundled it, and I have to say I can sort of see some of the appeal. But not enough to warrant the extra 100 USD and the whole console experience being built around that thing.

FUTURE
Xbox as a big hardware platform is history, and Xbox gaming is turning into Microsoft Gaming. I think Microsoft, at least for the past ten+ years, have seen hardware as a necessary evil. Now they can finally start to move away from something that's basically never made them any money, concentrate on games and services and make more money than ever. As someone who loves consoles and have always liked the Xbox hardware, I'm disappointed it's coming to an end. But we've seen the writing on the wall for quite some time now so it's not a surprise.

Last edited:
The worst? The fakes in the community , the media, the phoney worship of an executive team that has delivered more mediocrity then quality. Supposed to be Xbox fans yet now it’s seen as a good thing to devalue the console because it’s suits a millionaire chief executives strategy.

Last edited:

Facism

favourite memory was playing Gears 1 and thinking this is next gen.
worst memory is them not replacing my RROD 360 whilst still in warranty, meaning i never touched one of their consoles again.

To be fair they offered a special deal because the console was over priced beyond belief. This is when a PS2 was near 1,000 AUD, I can't recall the launch price for Xbox, I paid it happily. It may have even been a mail-in order thing too.
At the time I thought the Xbox seemed like a reasonable deal, wasn't put off by the price at all given it was pretty decent little beast (I mean it wasn't a 3DO type price point after all). $1K AUS for a PS2 sounds a little crazy though!

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Since when is Xbox dead?

always-has-been-among-us.gif

SenkiDala

The og and 360 were awesome.
Yeah simply this.

I still like Xbox, but I used to love them. the quality of the games, the "craziness" of the challenger, trying everything, the SEGA catalog (Panzer Dragon, Jet Set Radio, Shenmue, Crazy Taxi, Dino Crisis (oops capcom) Sega GT, etc), Sudeki, Otogi, Steel Battalion, and of course all the popular games...

To just become a 3rd party publisher, purchasing devs studios that they'll manage awfully... all this behind a sub service that almost doubled in price in a few years (and it is FAR from being over), spending 0$ in marketing, thinking "oh we won't make any price cut even if we sell less than ever"... Phil Spencer is way worst than Mattrick, and I am proud to say this since day one, when during a decade many people believed he was "good guy Phil".

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Tried of hearing about Xbox every single day it’s a console that struggled and has had patriotic agenda.

Toots

Gold Member
Scared Season 1 GIF by The Spanish Princess

Goodnight little box, i hope you find in death the good games you couldn't find in life.

Funny to sse that the final nail in the coffin was driven by Bethesda with Indy, as was the one before (starfield), and the one before that (redfall).
todd howard thanks GIF

On topic,
Favorite memory is playing Skate on xbox360. First time i saw HD textures (i remember rolling endlessly looking at the different types of ground textures, pretty sure i could find my way around San Vanelona (or whatever the city's name), from the school to the skate shop, to the other hipster punk skateshop, right down to the pier and warehouses).

Worst memory is bill gates personally engineering covid in 2015 to implant Gates-funded microchips in everyone during throat and nose slabs, under the guise of coronavirus testing.

Im kidding about the worst memory of course, the fact check article linked should be enough hint but i don't want to take any chance...
Also i like how when reading my post and clicking the link you come across a page entitled "Post falsely claims corona virus testing is an excuse to implant gates funded microchips. They could be talking about my very post. I find that extremely funny.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Listen - now that MS is announcing their huge future games are also coming to PS5 it’s as good as dead. I figured now is as good of a time as any to hold a eulogy in remembrance of it.

What was your favorite memory of it ? What was your worst ?

I guess my favorite was the first half of the 360 era when they were firing on all cylinders and was probably the best console out there for a few years .. probably would have continued to crush it if the wii didn’t come out and entice MS to go full retard with the Kinect.

Worst Memory? When MS again went full retard and figured their own internal studios were no match to Sony’s so bought two huge publishers to produce games for a console that no one was buying which resulted in them being forced to go third party. Also i guess their dollar a month game pass (who knew !) wouldn’t be enough to support these costly productions.

We will miss you Xbox.
You are a moron.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Favorite: getting Halo 3 Helmet Edition on launch day and going online. It was one of those times when it felt like every gamer was doing the same thing and on the same page. Hype was unreal and the game was awesome.

Worst: definitely getting an Xbox One early. It was just horrible, don't listen to the shills who claim it wasn't.

Last edited:
E3 2006 was great when they were showing Gears of War Gameplay whilst Sony was showing the awful Genji Days of the Blade.

The worst is possibly 2011 onwards for Xbox, Dead console walking since then.

Kings Field

Favorite- getting the original Xbox on Christmas the year it released with Halo and a bunch of other games.

Worst- Realizing last gen that my favorite platform was going down the tubes.

Little Mac

Gold Member
Roses Funeral GIF by Un si grand soleil

I went full Xbox when the PS3 launched and stayed in that camp til the end 2023. It gave me a lot of enjoyment the past couple generations, but last year fucking broke me as a fan and I jumped ship. Do I think Xbox is dead? … nah, not yet atleast. But the leadership really fucked up this gen.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Favorite memory: pouring all my free time into Morrowind for six months and alienating my family

Worst memory: Watching the shift circa 2010 to a focus on Kinect and an attempt to capture the casuals in the living room.

Lions Gate

GAMING REVENUES

CURRENT 2024 data so far (not full year yet) -
PlayStation: $26.79 billion
Xbox: $15.47 billion
Nintendo: $12.04 billion

PlayStation: $30.12 billion
Xbox: $18.13 billion
Nintendo: $12.08 billion

PlayStation: $24.41 billion
Xbox: $15.56 billion
Nintendo: $12.6 billion