• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

missile

Getting this in now before the Ghost Song Kickstarter rush: There Came an Echo video update!

Video Update #1

Also, almost-done model GIF!

CorrinModelGIF.gif
Shouldn't left go unnoticed. Cool stuff, esp. the video. Good to see how the
game comes along. But dude, will there also be sort of a dirty talk voice
theme (rated M style) were the soldiers use all kinds of, well, real world
sayings? I think this could be a lot of fun when things get heated. xD

Feep

Banned
Shouldn't left go unnoticed. Cool stuff, esp. the video. Good to see how the
game comes along. But dude, will there also be sort of a dirty talk voice
theme (rated M style) were the soldiers use all kinds of, well, real world
sayings? I think this could be a lot of fun when things get heated. xD
I was...and still am...pretty torn on this. Currently, the script lacks anything stronger than "god damn". I feel like profanity is used far too often as a substandard replacement for decent character interaction...on the other hand, real people in these situations probably *would* use profanity. Other benefits for leaving it out include not having to worry as much as ESRB/other issues, and more directly, less recording time = less money.

I'm still thinking about it, but I'd probably say only a one third chance of it happening.

Ubersnug

Just a quick thanks for answering my questions earlier on in teh thread guys. I appreciate the comments!

Decided I'm going to start small and work up, so going to start by coding my own version of Tetris. That should give me some basic, fundamental experience. Hopefully...

adixon

I was...and still am...pretty torn on this. Currently, the script lacks anything stronger than "god damn". I feel like profanity is used far too often as a substandard replacement for decent character interaction...on the other hand, real people in these situations probably *would* use profanity. Other benefits for leaving it out include not having to worry as much as ESRB/other issues, and more directly, less recording time = less money.

I'm still thinking about it, but I'd probably say only a one third chance of it happening.

What about made-up or borrowed-from-another-language profanity a la Firefly? Too well known?

Personally, I think it's not really needed -- most good action/adventure movies and games leave it out as a convention, and it doesn't hurt things, as long as the tone you're going for is more bright, witty... even fun (it is a video game after all). The only time I can imagine it feeling like a weird omission is if you're trying to make something that sounds authentic like... the Wire, or at least trying tell a darker story where killing actually creates real strain on the characters, that kind of thing. Obviously not a direction most games go since it's easily at odds with the fun fighting gameplay side of things.

By the way, those shadows look amaazing. Going to go back in the thread and read up on how you did it (just downloaded Unity for the first time today).

Feep

Banned
What about made-up or borrowed-from-another-language profanity a la Firefly? Too well known?

Personally, I think it's not really needed -- most good action/adventure movies and games leave it out as a convention, and it doesn't hurt things, as long as the tone you're going for is more bright, witty... even fun (it is a video game after all). The only time I can imagine it feeling like a weird omission is if you're trying to make something that sounds authentic like... the Wire, or at least trying tell a darker story where killing actually creates real strain on the characters, that kind of thing. Obviously not a direction most games go since it's easily at odds with the fun fighting gameplay side of things.

By the way, those shadows look amaazing. Going to go back in the thread and read up on how you did it (just downloaded Unity for the first time today).
Well, the game is firmly grounded on Earth (albeit, a bit into the future), so I can't get too crazy...still, not a bad idea.

Unity has built-in shadows, of course, and if you take a more traditional 3-D approach, it really isn't hard at all to get working. My approach, however, is extremely weird (all environment stuff are actually just 2-D drawings), so I definitely had to do some magic to make it happen.

Special thanks to Duderino and Blizzard for helping out with that stuff, though!

adixon

Unity has built-in shadows, of course, and if you take a more traditional 3-D approach, it really isn't hard at all to get working. My approach, however, is extremely weird (all environment stuff are actually just 2-D drawings), so I definitely had to do some magic to make it happen.

Tell me about it, I've been coding a weird 2d top-down action rpg with a full 3d physics engine... or maybe it's a 3d top down action rpg with 2d art..? I've been working on it in XNA, and getting some of the draw ordering and shadows and other stuff to play nice has been the worst part at times, because I can't just google someone else asking the same question to get me started on the right track! (Which is my usual approach.)

If you made up profanity, you could put it into the voice recognition side and build game mechanics or easter eggs out of it, so players actually have to learn the made up naughty words. Like a party member who does their current action action a bit better at a certain time if you swear at them, or just a hidden goofy response, or something. Would add a whole new level of geek-awesome if I'm sitting there swearing at my squad in words I learned just for the game. Damn, I'm excited about this game Feep :)

missile

God damn! xD

Sure, the game can live without it, but I still think there is some value into
it. Well, I guess it may perhaps depend on the audience you are targeting. If
those 50k+ people are all dedicated strategical guys and gals then you can do
away with it. Anyhow, some good humor, sarcasm, and comedy etc. is the minimum
I would expect if we talk about (speaking) people in a game. Some dirty/trash
talk would be very welcome as well. :+

Feep

Banned
God damn! xD

Sure, the game can live without it, but I still think there is some value into
it. Well, I guess it may perhaps depend on the audience you are targeting. If
those 50k+ people are all dedicated strategical guys and gals then you can do
away with it. Anyhow, some good humor, sarcasm, and comedy etc. is the minimum
I would expect if we talk about (speaking) people in a game. Some dirty/trash
talk would be very welcome as well. :+
There is much sass.

SO MUCH SASS.

missile

^ hehe

Back to business...
I'm pretty close to a working lifting force model. Am just have to find some
good lift coefficients feeding it, which I properly won't, since the
aerodynamics around rockets isn't as good documented as for example airfoils
(for a reason, I guess). However, I think I will steal some 2d lifting data
from some symmetric airfoils (they are somehow similar to my rocket while
watching long enough) and modify them accordingly.

Chaos

Jobbs is your kickstarter video on youtube ?
If it was it would be handy for embedding the video on other forums.

Yeah I don't wanna go against any rules. Maybe someone will make one sooner or later if I'm lucky. There are some gif links in the KS listing towards the bottom if you guys want to check those out, BTW.

Just saw the game from a spanish friend's twitter, seems to be expanding :)
When I get some money I will in no doubt back it, it looks as great as when you show it in the thread.

Bit-Bit

Agreed, like I said, I'd never promise this unless I knew all the details. I imagine it being a rather high stretch goal and thus unlikely, but you never know.

Incidentally, roger is THE BORG at programming, that aspect won't ever be a problem. :)

Your game is the first kickstarter I'm backing.

The art alone convinced me, but the sound design and the little throw backs to Metroid and I think I even see a little Mega Man in there, have me wanting to play this game really bad.

this is for a high school project? use adobe flash and air. it's very easy (comparatively speaking) to make a game for both the ipad and pc that way, it just has sucky performance right out of the box but if we're talking ipad 3 and later you should be able to go pretty wild..

Yes,I have to create a project that shows that I'm able to have a career after highschool. I have to finish it by December and present it to the 3 judges and it determines if I graduate or not.

I don't want to be that guy, but I guess it needs to be said. I'm sure most users here will gladly give you pointers and help but it seems like you want someone to do all the work for you.

Do some research, you can start by reading the OP then post your specific doubts.

No, I'm not trying to do that. Sorry if it came off that way. The mentor is needed to teach me the basics of coding, and someone I could ask help to if I needed it.

anoon

Hi, I'm Alan Noon of Black Black Beast, LLC; recently minted independent developer, and I would like to announce my first project: Castle Breakers

logo_mockup.png

Inspired by the block breaker games of yore, Castle Breakers is a physics driven, action adventure RPG title, wrapped in a 3D, pixellated fantasy theme.

Screenshots_07-27-13_001.png

The forces of evil have besieged the kingdom and set up fortifications across the land. You, the last of the Castle Breakers, have been called upon to rid the land of this scourge. Rise. Go forth. Crush your enemies. See them driven before you.*

*(Inclusion of 8bit lamentation samples, TBD.)

As the last of the Castle Breaker Knights, you will travel across the overworld map, clearing each fortress of enemies with aid of your sword and magic wrecking ball.

The core game play is implemented and playable, but there's still a lot to do. There are designs in place for equipment, weapons, and wrecking balls of varying stats and effects, a magic system for casting spells, an in game economy, and an XP/levelling system.

Currently targeting iOS and Android platforms.

At the moment I am working on the Kickstarter campaign to fund the completion of the project, so I am trying to get the word out about Castle Breakers ahead of that as much as possible.

Relevant links:
Devblog
Twitter
Company
Facebook
Reddit
IndieDB
Indiegames.com Q/A

Burt

Hi, I'm Alan Noon of Black Black Beast, LLC; recently minted independent developer, and I would like to announce my first project: Castle Breakers

logo_mockup.png

Inspired by the block breaker games of yore, Castle Breakers is a physics driven, action adventure RPG title, wrapped in a 3D, pixellated fantasy theme.

The forces of evil have besieged the kingdom and set up fortifications across the land. You, the last of the Castle Breakers, have been called upon to rid the land of this scourge. Rise. Go forth. Crush your enemies. See them driven before you.*

As the last of the Castle Breaker Knights, you will travel across the overworld map, clearing each fortress of enemies with aid of your sword and magic wrecking ball.

The core game play is implemented and playable, but there's still a lot to do. There are designs in place for equipment, weapons, and wrecking balls of varying stats and effects, a magic system for casting spells, an in game economy, and an XP/levelling system.

At the moment I am working on the Kickstarter campaign to fund the completion of the project, so I am trying to get the word out about Castle Breakers ahead of that as much as possible.

Relevant links:
Devblog
Twitter
Company
Facebook
Reddit
IndieDB
Indiegames.com Q/A

Saw your game pop up on screenshot Saturday. Looks great, and I'm glad there's some real.info out there about it now. You should probably drop a post over in the Indie games thread about it.

motorsep

Neo Member

logo_mockup.png

Oohhhh, I love the look!!! Good job! Any chance for PC release?

Blizzard

Banned

I tend to agree. It's not that I avoid R/M rated movies or games by any means, but often obscenity may just be a crutch or come across as juvenile and even get your game mocked. I seem to recall Bulletstorm had some stupid line that had that effect for instance. I would take clever writing over realistic obscenity any day.

Servbot24

Banned
For what it's worth, the majority of the time that I hear game characters swear I immediately think to myself, "This is really stupid." Not every time, but many times.

Alienous

logo_mockup.png

Relevant links:
Devblog
Twitter
Company
Facebook
Reddit
IndieDB
Indiegames.com Q/A

I said wow.

razu

I guess, you did. I saw your Captain Jatobe. Keeping a boat afloat and stable
is sort of a similar problem.

Well, yeah, except I just used an existing physics engine and added a few forces :D

The Ghost Song Kickstarter is, as of moments ago, live! If anyone is curious or wants to check it out:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192311215/ghost-song-a-journey-of-hope

If you like the game so far, please pass the link along. :) Thank you.

The Ghost Tree:

treeloop4.gif

I think you'll be funded pretty soon! Over 50% and 29 days to go... :D I have tweeted to my small audience, for all the good that'll do ;D

Looks amazing. And looks more amazing each time you post. Good luck! :D

logo_mockup.png

Relevant links:
Devblog
Twitter
Company
Facebook
Reddit
IndieDB
Indiegames.com Q/A

That looks totally ace :D

Dev question: Is it a PC shot, or are the iOS and Android versions having that depth of field effect too?

I'd advise pretending to be iOS exclusive, (unless it's too late already). Apple seem to prefer that, unless you're a mega corp who'll bring them guaranteed money. Google certainly don't care about featuring you if you're multi-platform.

And again, good luck!

Popstar

Is there a commonly accepted name for numbers or text that appear over the heads of characters in games? Like the damage numbers in a JRPG or the exclamation points in Metal Gear.

I'm racking my brain but can't remember anything. I gotta name this class.

Feep

Banned
Is there a commonly accepted name for numbers or text that appear over the heads of characters in games? Like the damage numbers in a JRPG or the exclamation points in Metal Gear.

OverheadUI?

OverheadText?

UIOverlay?

I dunno. (shrug)

Popstar

OverheadUI?

OverheadText?

UIOverlay?

I dunno. (shrug)
Hmm, it's not necessarily overhead...

PopupText maybe?

Yeah, I think I'll go with that for now. Although if there's a more common term in game/UI design I'd still like to hear it.

Thanks!

Turfster

Don't be a follower! Use InfoBalloons or something!

In other news, Unity's Camera.ScreenToWorldPoint is rage inducing.

Feep

Banned
Don't be a follower! Use InfoBalloons or something!

In other news, Unity's Camera.ScreenToWorldPoint is rage inducing.
Masks are your friend. Remember, though, if you only want it to hit Mask 8, you can't use the number 8, but rather, 1 << 8, which is 00000000000000000000000100000000.

Turfster

Masks are your friend. Remember, though, if you only want it to hit Mask 8, you can't use the number 8, but rather, 1 << 8, which is 00000000000000000000000100000000.
I've sort of solved it (sadly, I can't use masks for this, it's one free-floating, rotateable mesh). Sometimes, the end result still fucks up when I get a wrong value, but let's just say that... adds to the game's difficulty! It's just a simple prototype that I made because of a colleague's challenge anyway! If I ever run into the same thing in production, I'll figure out a workaround then.

Wow, Jobbs is nearly there!

logo_mockup.png

Relevant links:
Devblog
Twitter
Company
Facebook
Reddit
IndieDB
Indiegames.com Q/A

Looks really, really cool. I love the the screenshot with depth of field.

nasos_333

logo_mockup.png

Relevant links:
Devblog
Twitter
Company
Facebook
Reddit
IndieDB
Indiegames.com Q/A

Looks amazing, great job :)

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Btw; My gf likes the New Awareness too. She came in saying; wow, cool sound!

Any pics of her?
j/k ;)

Man, iOS is so flooded with stuff these days. I look over at TouchArcade and see threads for like 20 new games released tonight. Next game I make is going to be released on every platform I can.

cbox

My dev buddy just got the oculus rift in the mail and I tried it out yesterday. After a bit of getting used to, I friggin love the thing. We're gonna high tail our current game, release it and start on some demos for the rift.

Can't wait for the production model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom