• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
My dev buddy just got the oculus rift in the mail and I tried it out yesterday. After a bit of getting used to, I friggin love the thing. We're gonna high tail our current game, release it and start on some demos for the rift.

Can't wait for the production model

I want it

anoon

Thank you for all of the positive response! Very encouraging.

Questions! Answers:

Oohhhh, I love the look!!! Good job! Any chance for PC release?
and
Dev question: Is it a PC shot, or are the iOS and Android versions having that depth of field effect too?
I'd advise pretending to be iOS exclusive,

I am certainly not ruling out other platforms in the future, but for now I am focusing on iOS and then Android. I am the sole developer, so I have to choose how to be careful how I spend my dev time.

That shot is from a build running on the PC, yes.

Again, thanks for your support!

Turfster

Yes, I am aware of that :) Th question is, why is it a bad thing? What are you afraid of?

There have been more than enough cases of unscrupulous people taking the source and releasing their 'own' version for money without GPLing it.

Also, it's my source dammit, I don't want to share! Hsssss! ;)

motorsep

Neo Member
There have been more than enough cases of unscrupulous people taking the source and releasing their 'own' version for money without GPLing it.

Also, it's my source dammit, I don't want to share! Hsssss! ;)

Haha :)

But really, are you referring to Lugaru? Because that's the only case I know of and as far as I recall that was either only because the license wasn't clear enough or because they GPL'ed art assets along with the code (which was a smart move anyway).

So having a code is one thing, making a game using it is a whole different story (if that would be so simple, we'd had _piles_ of games released that use a ton of GPL quality engines out there).

I should probably make a write up clearing fears of using GPL engines :)

Are any of you indie developers looking for original music for your games?

I'm a composer and producer and I have a little extra time for the next few weeks and I'd like to start building up my game scoring resume. I'm not looking to get paid just yet. I just need some experience with more serious and dedicated developers (as opposed to people who random message me on youtube asking if they can use my music on some project they'll never finish).

My soundcloud - https://soundcloud.com/steven-mcdonald

A couple of short films I've scored - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45vSuL-pWgI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4asiOVjTyJQ

I can probably only realistically take on one project right now, but if you're interested shoot me a PM with some info!

Good luck on all the games! I've seen some really interesting and unique ideas in this thread.

eot

Banned

I'm a composer and producer and I have a little extra time for the next few weeks and I'd like to start building up my game scoring resume. I'm not looking to get payed just yet. I just need some experience with more serious and dedicated developers (as opposed to people who random message me on youtube asking if they can use my music on some project they'll never finish).

A couple of short films I've scored - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45vSuL-pWgI

I can probably only realistically take on one project right now, but if you're interested shoot me a PM with some info!

Good luck on all the games! I've seen some really interesting and unique ideas in this thread.

That's better than 95%+ of soundclouds I click on. Hope you find a good project.

missile

My dev buddy just got the oculus rift in the mail and I tried it out yesterday. After a bit of getting used to, I friggin love the thing. We're gonna high tail our current game, release it and start on some demos for the rift.

Can't wait for the production model
Welcome to the club. Tried RiftQuake a second ago. Way cool.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Thank you, sir. I've been passionately writing music for fun since early 2010. Glad to hear that encouragement.

You've only been doing this 3 and a bit years? that's pretty amazing. Your soundcloud is full of excellent work that could easily be on any movie or game soundtrack.

cbox

I'm a composer and producer and I have a little extra time for the next few weeks and I'd like to start building up my game scoring resume. I'm not looking to get payed just yet. I just need some experience with more serious and dedicated developers (as opposed to people who random message me on youtube asking if they can use my music on some project they'll never finish).

Great work, really well done!

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

listening to ascend. good stuff man!

whoa, are you telling me i can make stuff like this in 3 years?

You've only been doing this 3 and a bit years? that's pretty amazing. Your soundcloud is full of excellent work that could easily be on any movie or game soundtrack.

Thanks guys! I've been writing for three years, but I guess I've been hearing and playing music since I was in about 6th grade. I wrote my first piece for clarinet duet my senior year of high school in 2010, then I wrote a piece for my high school's full wind ensemble that same year. Been building up my portfolio ever since.

motorsep

Neo Member
Congrats on successful Kickstarter, Jobbs! I wonder if you can share %% of expenses (how much went to redeem perks and stuff).

treeloop4.gif

uhhhhhhhhh................ Ghost Song looks amazing!

Hey all. I checked with a mod first (Thanks Stump!) that to make sure that this was a kosher thing to do and not shilling, but I wanted to go ahead and put myself out there as a contact point if any indie developers here on GAF had any questions relating to DirectX, Windows development and Visual Studio in particular. For 8 years I’ve been a developer at Microsoft working on various Visual Studio diagnostic features mostly on the profiler, IntelliTrace and a bit on the debugger.

At the same time I’ve also been really interested in indie game development (I’ve been a GAFfer since 2007 and I’ve always enjoyed following this thread) so I got to actually put those two together a little more this last year as I moved over to the team in Visual Studio responsible for the graphics diagnostics DirectX debugging feature. It’s a fun combination of the VS stuff that I enjoy with a more gaming bent, as well as getting me ramped up pretty quick on DirectX. We also do some stuff like the new project templates for DirectX as well. Now I’m mostly a Visual Studio guy, so I don’t claim to be the expert on DirectX or Windows Application development, I’m sure some folk in this thread can rock the DX or general games development stuff better than me. But I have a fair bit of knowledge for DX and about Visual Studio and we work with the DX teams pretty closely, so questions that I can’t answer I can often ask around to get resolved.

So yeah, what with XNA being phased out and the rise of stuff like Unity I’m not sure how many folks in this thread are working with Microsoft technology for their games, but if any are please feel free to use me as a contact if you have issues. PM works and I also follow this thread myself (hopefully I’ll be able to post some about my current game project soon). I’m just a dev and not any type of community rep, so apologies if I’m slow on the reply with anything.

Servbot24

Banned
Congrats, Jobbs! So cool to watch your progress through this thread and see things coming to fruition. :)

Currently working with someone on music for my game, and doing lots of concept art and modeling basic structures. Quite excited to show it soon!

Feep

Banned
Congrats, Jobbs!

Font check! What do you guys think? Font is a big deal for me. Bigbigbigbigbig.

Edit: The upper right font, I mean. I messed up the node "A2" stuff in the process, don't worry about that.

Blizzard

Banned
Congrats, Jobbs!

Font check! What do you guys think? Font is a big deal for me. Bigbigbigbigbig.
The contrast looks good and it's readable.

Where do you go to make sure a font to be licensed is 100% legal and you have the rights for use in games and so forth? The last time I tried to look into it, it seemed like a really obnoxious area to do research in.

Feep

Banned

Where do you go to make sure a font to be licensed is 100% legal and you have the rights for use in games and so forth? The last time I tried to look into it, it seemed like a really obnoxious area to do research in.
Usually just Googling the font will bring you to a site that lets you know license restrictions. The font I'm using actually gives a free commercial license to six particular weights of the font. You can buy the others for like $26, which I probably will, because I want to support the creator. = D

Blizzard

Banned
Usually just Googling the font will bring you to a site that lets you know license restrictions. The font I'm using actually gives a free commercial license to six particular weights of the font. You can buy the others for like $26, which I probably will, because I want to support the creator. = D
Are you willing to share the font site?

Popstar

fontspring / fontsquirrel have little icons next to each font that indicate whether it's licensable for application embedding or not. If a font site doesn't have something similar you'll need to contact the font author.

An embedding license is often more expensive than a normal commercial license.

motorsep

Neo Member
Where can I find a guru of Cg shaders (or not necessarily a guru :) ) ?

Note: this isn't for Unity (since Unity has its own shading language and I need vanilla Cg).

Blizzard

Banned
Edit: Oh, I misunderstood. It's not a particular site. Most sites that offer the fonts also have information on the licensing of that font.
I meant like, the site that you would use to buy/license the font from.

You mentioned Da Font and a couple of others, but I didn't write them down before you edited. Thanks, would you mind unediting? :p (thanks also to Popstar) *edit* Thanks Feep!

Feep

Banned
I meant like, the site that you would use to buy/license the font from.

You mentioned Da Font and a couple of others, but I didn't write them down before you edited. Thanks, would you mind unediting? :p (thanks also to Popstar)
FontSpring, losttype.com

Paz

Probably bad form to post about this in the indie games august thread and the dev thread, but Assault Android Cactus was picked for the Eurogamer Expo Indie Game Arcade! http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-08-eurogamer-expo-2013-indie-games-arcade-line-up

Things are starting to pick up for us ever since PAX Aus, a bunch of glowing previews from big sites and now picked for the expo :D If you're going to the show make sure you check it out and let me know what you think!

Jobbs

Banned
Probably bad form to post about this in the indie games august thread and the dev thread, but Assault Android Cactus was picked for the Eurogamer Expo Indie Game Arcade! http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-08-eurogamer-expo-2013-indie-games-arcade-line-up

Things are starting to pick up for us ever since PAX Aus, a bunch of glowing previews from big sites and now picked for the expo :D If you're going to the show make sure you check it out and let me know what you think!

Nice stuff, and can you talk a little about the history of the quirky sounding title? "Assault Cactus"? What's that mean? :)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Think I've found a new love in my life. Toying with new types of geometry representation in Unity.

a8QQjZe.png

'Infinite detail' ;) Ignoring the UltimateFPS mesh in the foreground there are zero polygons here. Zero texture lookups.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
17 FPS... this a PS4 game?

It's very unoptimised :p And this is on my mac mini...

I'm not sure if I'll proceed with this tech in my game yet. I really hope I can but I need to do more tests/work. But if it does make it in it may demand a certain minimum requirement, yes. But the payoff on geometry representation and flexibility/detail could be well worth it, and it would make the game's data representation and render pipe very future proof.

But have to see! It's a really fun thing to tinker with though. It's actually an old idea, stuff borrowed from demo-scene techniques and non-interactive stuff...the trick is making it interactive and suitable for a game - i.e. integrate with physics, make it 'controllable', which I have done at a certain scale, but need to make sure it scales up well.

missile

LOL, we're working under the same torturous conditions
Sucks! xD
Well, minus the the 'deep down bunker'. But I wish I would have such a bunker,
honestly, it's way too hot over here in Vienna during the last two to three
weeks (averaging at about 35ºC during the day). And today it peeks at about
40ºC (104 ºF). Sort of a record. Damn! That's way too hot for me in general.
You literally can't go outside. But the weather should get colder during the
next weeks, at about 28-30ºC on average. I prefer 15-21ºC.

V_Arnold

Feep : About the text... I love the style and the size of it. But did you think of maybe changing the aura of it into a more orange-red style when it is currently selected?

Missile: 40c here today as well, the best condition for the human brain - if you want to eat it :p

Congrats Jobbs! Hope you can even get the strecth goals. The 40000 one seems really cool and I hope we can play it!

I'm a composer and producer and I have a little extra time for the next few weeks and I'd like to start building up my game scoring resume. I'm not looking to get paid just yet. I just need some experience with more serious and dedicated developers (as opposed to people who random message me on youtube asking if they can use my music on some project they'll never finish).

Our game is another type of music and we have already two composers working with it (same team) but your music is seriously awesome. :O
Thanks for giving the opportunity to fellow gaffers making games.

Feep

Banned
Feep : About the text... I love the style and the size of it. But did you think of maybe changing the aura of it into a more orange-red style when it is currently selected?
Easy enough, and not a bad idea. I don't know if the "Last Commands" dialog is a place for that, because you never really "select" anything there, but for other menus, I definitely want to play around with how I represented selected items.

Turfster

Easy enough, and not a bad idea. I don't know if the "Last Commands" dialog is a place for that, because you never really "select" anything there, but for other menus, I definitely want to play around with how I represented selected items.

How do you feel about gradient fading for 'older' commands in the list? (I know this is minor cosmetic stuff, but I felt I had to give *some* feedback ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom