• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just tried this out now. You've got the controls down for sure, the jump/double jump and mid-air control has a solid feel to it and I like your use of a perspective camera for a '2d' game. Only thing that stood out was if I was moving from left - > right without stopping, the bats would be frozen for a quick second before moving towards the character. Nice job!

Thanks! Did the bats or game freeze, or did they just take a long time to turn around?

I have to say it again, I love your artstyle (not sure about the tree leaves but whatever).
I think your project is really really cool and appealing in some awesome retro ways.

Thanks! I agree on the leaves, I've been trying to think up a way to make them a bit more 3D

Ranger X

It looks like a golden rectangle -- how does one use it in menu design? I'm interested since I need to do menu design. :p

Also, I always thought it was kind of funny that the golden rectangle/golden ratio is much closer to the 16:10 screen resolution ratio than the 16:9 one...yet it seems like lots/most people revile 16:10 and want to switch to 16:9 to be closer to cinema.

This is the "Fibonacci Sequence". A golden rule of proportions in architecture since thousands of years. It's a pretty interesting and neat concept. Even the Greek were sort of doing this.

See also "The Golden ratio". Another extremely important theory in architecture.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

Blizzard

Banned
This is the "Fibonacci Sequence". A golden rule of proportions in architecture since thousands of years. It's a pretty interesting and neat concept. Even the Greek were sort of doing this.

See also "The Golden ratio". Another extremely important theory in architecture.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio
Right, that's the ratio I was referring to. It's close to 1.6, which is the 16:10 screen ratio. One of those pages also links to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_rectangle.

I think it's a little funny that someone would post the picture, say use this in menu design, but then not give any comments about how it should be used in menu design (or why). :p

Ranger X

Right, that's the ratio I was referring to. It's close to 1.6, which is the 16:10 screen ratio. One of those pages also links to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_rectangle.

I think it's a little funny that someone would post the picture, say use this in menu design, but then not give any comments about how it should be used in menu design (or why). :p

Well, not saying the guy is helpful but I totally agree in the sense that architectural knowledge IS important for menu design and general presentation of a game.

My thoughts exactly. Clear readability and logical grouping of info is more important to me anyway, and I'm happy with the current design in these regards. Might play around with the fonts though, not completely satisfied with them yet.

Ranger X

Is there anything that does this automatically? Like use give it an image and it spits it out in pixel art?

hmmm, ALL images ever are made of pixel. You will never ever encounter a software that takes an image an create another one out of it like it was intelligent or something.

razu

My thoughts exactly. Clear readability and logical grouping of info is more important to me anyway, and I'm happy with the current design in these regards. Might play around with the fonts though, not completely satisfied with them yet.

And on a touch device, putting buttons where you're likely to be able to reach without letting go and pointing is somewhat more important.

And... when supporting iOS, Android and PC/Mac, you don't have a fixed screen size/aspect ratio anyway. A lot of these things are for print, where you control everything, and can make something that looks perfect.

razu

If anyone wants to test Chopper Mike on iOS, (iPhone 4/4S/5, iPad), PM me your apple id email address.

Cheers!

Genji

Thanks! Did the bats or game freeze, or did they just take a long time to turn around?

It looked like they would just take a second or two to activate when they scrolled on screen sometimes. It could be that they were facing a different direction and I didn't notice.

Kritz

Banned
The guy was probably alluding to illustrative design principals, namely the golden ratio.

At least since the 20th century, many artists and architects have proportioned their works to approximate the golden ratio—especially in the form of the golden rectangle, in which the ratio of the longer side to the shorter is the golden ratio—believing this proportion to be aesthetically pleasing.

EDIT: shit, beaten. This is what happens when you use the &goto=newpost feature on GAF instead of just skipping to the last page.

missile

Well, it's running at 60 frames per second at 1024x768 with 8x Anti-aliasing, with every 3D pixel lit per pixel!! For a sort-of mobile device, that's outrageous!! Showed it to my GF and asked if it looked any different, she said it looked better :) Full resolution on phones. Perhaps I'll clamp res on Android tablets, will have to profile.

Chopper Mike is 80% complete I'd say. Looking like next month for release.

The racing game is two projects away. I did the prototype, but that's on hold until Chopper Mike, and then Captain Jatobe are complete. Check VAMflax.com for web-playable demos. I'll be updating the Chopper Mike demo this weekend, as it's now horrifically out of date!

So hyped about the gfx and performance mods I've done this week! And, it just clicked in my head that I can do a full 3D level preview for the level select. That's going to be ULTRA RAD!!

How about RADflax?
This is rad, isn't it?! xD
Well, 80%. I was missing that number somewhere. The specs of todays systems
are marvelous. However, if you ask me, games got worser with an increase in
system performance on average. That's perhaps just my experience. Btw; How did
you come up with the idea?

Hey guys, I want to improve my maths and physics level, since it doesn't look pretty good... Do you guys know any specific website or course that you could recommend? ...
missile's rule number one; Don't try to learn math from the web. It just don't
work. Part of the problem is the way people are used to read the web, they
read rather fast and in a certain pattern, in an F-pattern, meaning, the first
few sentence fully and the rest less and less. Another issue are flashing
animations, eye-catcher, and even simple links. Links do force the brain to
make a decision every time you encounter them within the text, distracting
you from the subject, i.e. detaching your brain from the mental state
necessary to understand, to conceive math. With respect to math; as faster you
read, as less you will understand. It just takes time to get into the mental
state. And this just happens when you read slowly without distraction from the
outside. Try guess why romans are so successful? Because the reader gets one
with the story. If you can do that with a math book, I guarantee you, you
will start flying. So in essence, go to your (university) library and rent a book
about basic calculus (also known as Analysis I at times), a book about linear
algebra, and a physics book about mechanics. Go study them, go implement.

Being unemployed is a bitch ...
You have to look at it differently. You are a time millionaire! Am not
kidding.

... hmmm, it's a quite ambitious project actually. Especially since it's my first game so I am not yet talking much about it. I don't want to be guy who's talking too much and then something happen and the game isn't released or something. But still, not responding to interest would be dumb right? ...
Sort of a dilemma, eh? Well, I know what you mean. But anyways, do not align
your thoughts on something. ;) It's just you and the game, no matter what
happens. Always.

It's 60fps platformer that is having 2 modes of play. There's an "Adventure mode" that is a Metroidvania and there's the "Challenge Mode" that are "precision platformers" quick levels like League Of Evil or again, Super Meat Boy. ...
Nice. Perhaps I will play that one. You have another screenshot. Just asking,
you don't have to. ;)

... The project is pretty big and I hope to finish it before the end of 2013. Not sure how realistic it is yet since I am only touching it in my free time. The Metroidvania part should last some 2-3 hours (Keep in mind even Super Metroid lasts around 3 hours) and the Challange Mode is having 80 levels planned. Should be a pretty meaty game. ...
Cool. Are you on your own?

Working on menu design for Screenshot Saturday:

MenuWires.png

There is no narrative explicitly told to the player during gameplay, but each time you defeat a new enemy an entry is unlocked in the Bestiary that has clues to the backstory.
Dude, please use this in menu design:
1-s2.0-S0960077998001052-gr1.gif

... Also, I always thought it was kind of funny that the golden rectangle/golden ratio is much closer to the 16:10 screen resolution ratio than the 16:9 one...yet it seems like lots/most people revile 16:10 and want to switch to 16:9 to be closer to cinema.
May mean nothing. The perception of the golden ratio don't have to be a
continuous function, meaning, if you are a little off from the golden ratio it
may look much worser (off placed), then a larger deviation which may have a
larger interval were the function is continuous.
Anyways. Perhaps Bamihap meant we should align the items on the spiral. ;)

Well, if one flips the image vertically, the marked rectangle is essentially
a good place to set the face of a person, company logo or whatever. Just watch
the news and you will see that the face or eyes of almost every speaker is
just at this place.

C9Xt7.gif

... I think it's a little funny that someone would post the picture, say use this in menu design, but then not give any comments about how it should be used in menu design (or why). :p
I actually like it. Where is the curiosity gone to find out by oneself?

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
Sorry about the reply without a clear explanation. It was kind of late and I wanted to give my opinion.

Anyway. The menu looks a bit dull and complex. Things aren't ordered well, which is why it looks cluttered. One of the first things you learn at art school is the importance of the golden ratio. You do not HAVE to use it, but it is a great tool to make stuff look nice.

For example, this is how we used the golden ratio in our menu's:

castaway

kids.png

kids2.png

You can also find it on the web. Almost all great sites use it.

That's much more useful. Apart from playing with scaling, I'm too far into my menu design to go back and revamp the whole thing now, but I'll definitely use it next time there's an opportunity.

Hi @all,

after more than one year of hard work our new game (and my first indy game) Primal Fears has reached beta status and will be released on Steam later this year.

TopBannerNoMutant3.jpg

It's a top-down survival horror shooter featuring a campaign mode as well as an arena mode. All modes can be played on your own or with up to four players in co-op mode :)
You can use a variety of weapons and gadgets (rc-cars, turrets,...) to kill as many mutants as possible. We tried to make it as replayable as possible, featuring Steam Achievements and leaderboards for every level and arena.
There is support for mouse/keyboard input and even the 360 Gamepad.
Currently we are working hard on finishing the Windows version, but a MacOS version is planned and will follow shortly after release.

Our website: http://www.primal-fears.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PrimalFears

Feel free to apply for/join the beta, the more the merrier ;)

Regards,
pettersson

fin

I'm on the final stretch of my first game. Can't wait to start some thing new!! Here's some new screen shots. Should have a trailer, webplayer and download soon.

Roubjon

Okay guys, I have a couple of questions. I'm currently set on creating a game made up completely out of 2D assets, so I'm curious as to what SDK I should use. Right now I'm only experienced in Java, but of course I'm eager and willing to learn other languages. You guys have any suggestions?

I already have Unity installed and bought the Ex2d application that makes creating 2D games easier, but I was wondering if there is a better option.

Okay guys, I have a couple of questions. I'm currently set on creating a game made up completely out of 2D assets, so I'm curious as to what SDK I should use. Right now I'm only experienced in Java, but of course I'm eager and willing to learn other languages. You guys have any suggestions?

I already have Unity installed and bought the Ex2d application that makes creating 2D games easier, but I was wondering if there is a better option.

XNA might be worth looking at given that C# and Java are close but you're limiting yourself to Microsoft platforms.

It seems that C# is the popular option right now. Unity uses it, XNA, Mono, etc.

Personally I dislike it a lot, but it seems to be the more popular option for "serious" frameworks.

GAF, is there any good software for editing / making sprite sheets? I'm finding it rather difficult to do in gimp, as it's not really built for the task, thus making it more difficult than it should be.

Free software is also good as I'm poor :(
Graphics Gale. There is a free version and a $20ish version.
You don't need to pay for sprite sheets:
http://www.humanbalance.net/gale/us/spec.html

Yes the GAF UDK thread is pretty dead (no UDK updates in 2-3 months), but someone might have it subscribed and still respond, like Mik. I'm not sure if he reads this thread.

After I looked a little more, I think that unfortunately the example map it talks about is from an old official Unreal Engine 3 development system, and not the UDK at all. That map doesn't seem to be available anywhere, and it uses the .ut3 extension rather than .udk.

And hmm, I'm not sure if you can add a newly spawned player to a Matinee track. There might be something you can do with a director track, and/or using some invisible object that follows the player (floating inside their body, essentially)...and then other tracks could target THAT object's track.
I couldn't find the dang map either and it's a pity that Epic hasn't updated that example map.

Yeah, that's what I worried about. I'd really NOT like to do the patterns in code like how Danmaku-fu does, it just seemshell to do something like
Esoterica "Gray Thaumaturgy" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIaYBS-tmfg#! ) purely in code. Ugh.

I'll give the UDK thread a try later and cross my fingers. Thank you as always for your replies!

Wok

The main entries should go live in an hour or so, unless the organizers take some time after the deadline.

According to Twitter, the list of the main entries for IGF 2013 will be displayed at the end of this week. If on the same day as last year, it would be on Thursday.

Next up: a full public list of Main Comp entries (later this week!), then unleashing all 200+ judges to play, recommend to award juries!

I strongly recommend AGAINST using Unity for 2D games, it is as optimized for 3D gaming as possible, which means 2D games run horribly. And its GUI system sucks (they have a much better replacement coming, but not until after 4.0 ships).

Margalis

Banned
I strongly recommend AGAINST using Unity for 2D games, it is as optimized for 3D gaming as possible, which means 2D games run horribly.

What does "runs horribly" mean?

Most 2D games these days use 3D engines, a 2D game shouldn't run any slower than a 3D game. (Since it is a 3D game really) Are you talking about something specific like collision detection? Or some additional framework for making 2D games in Unity?

Most 2D games these days use 3D engines, a 2D game shouldn't run any slower than a 3D game. (Since it is a 3D game really) Are you talking about something specific like collision detection? Or some additional framework for making 2D games in Unity?

Yeah I'm not sure what he's talking about. I'm using Futile with Unity3D and everything I've thrown at it so far runs at 60fps with zero drops.

razu

Yeah I'm not sure what he's talking about. I'm using Futile with Unity3D and everything I've thrown at it so far runs at 60fps with zero drops.

Indeed. It's all triangles. Whether you're calculating the verts in 3D or 2D, they get drawn the same way. And Unity batches draw calls for you. It should be pretty rapid!

Performance-wise Unity is very slow to load large 2D textures, they take a ton more memory than they need, it doesn't *really* support textures with non-power-of-two (it'll internally convert the NPoT texture to power of two, keeping both in memory)... And then there are little things like the default plane object, which most people use for 2D stuff (as it's just a rectangle), is made of like 1000 triangles instead of 2. And while Unity can batch calls for you (if you pay for Unity Pro) it doesn't have built-in support for atlasing, where a bunch of 2D art pieces get put into a single texture so only the one texture has to be loaded with one draw call for any number of on-screen elements.

My team was trying to use Unity to make a game that used 2D pixel art in a 3D environment, and on iPhone the game just had a ton of problems, especially loading times and memory. When we changed the game to using true 3D models, it got a LOT easier to work with - Unity is a very good tool for making multiplatform 3D games. Though we still had to create our own menu system since even Unity admits that their GUI system needs a complete rewrite.

There are plugins to work around some of these limitations, such as EZ-GUI and Sprite Manager, but if we were to start our project over, we would choose something else designed specifically for 2D games, like maybe Cocos2D.

JulianImp

I've made some progress on my project throught the weekend, mostly regarding the menu system. I'm laying out the different sub-menus and implementing the their behaviors (such as sliders controlling music and SFX volume, and saving those values to the registry).

However, I'm still trying to think up how some settings should work. I'd like to have most changes happen as soon as you change the settings but, while that's fine for some things such as sound volume, it'd be a mess for others such as screen resolution or text language (since values are toggled one-by-one for now, rather than through a combo box).

I've also made a simple model made out of capsules that is animated through parenting (rather than skinning) to see how it performs, and applied my strange perspective-less shader to it. This it how it looks in-game with a placeholder texture:

As I intend to have a playable game by the end of the week, I've cut my to-do list down to the bare essentials. I order of priority, I intend to:
  • Find some program to make the game's installer/uninstaller
  • Clean up broken ramp borders
  • Make a replacement for the background particles texture
  • Replace the placeholder capsule-tentacle prop's texture with something that actually fits the game's aesthetics, and doesn't catch your attention as much as it currently does
  • Replace the prop's model with a more interesting one with better animations
  • Have a stage select screen working with the new menu system

Blizzard

Banned
I'm on the final stretch of my first game. Can't wait to start some thing new!! Here's some new screen shots. Should have a trailer, webplayer and download soon.
Is this made in Unity? (I'm assuming it's going to be free so that Nintendo lawyer ninjas don't come after you :p)

However, I'm still trying to think up how some settings should work. I'd like to have most changes happen as soon as you change the settings but, while that's fine for some things such as sound volume, it'd be a mess for others such as screen resolution or text language (since values are toggled one-by-one for now, rather than through a combo box).
It may not be ideal, but I'd say that a lot of games will either recreate the window or show a popup telling the player that they have to restart the game, if the screen resolution changes. Even if you try to change it on the fly, I suggest you wait until all the changes have been made and the save/apply button is clicked.

I could see the argument for having a background music volume slider take effect immediately and just reset if the menu was cancelled, but I think even that would be okay if you waited for the save/apply button.

JulianImp

It may not be ideal, but I'd say that a lot of games will either recreate the window or show a popup telling the player that they have to restart the game, if the screen resolution changes. Even if you try to change it on the fly, I suggest you wait until all the changes have been made and the save/apply button is clicked.

I could see the argument for having a background music volume slider take effect immediately and just reset if the menu was cancelled, but I think even that would be okay if you waited for the save/apply button.

Yeah, I guess it makes more sense to use the same apply/revert system on all screens rather than have each one work differently, which could confuse players.

Hopefully, I'll have some graphics done by wednesday, so I can spend the remaining days working on the menus and then polishing whatever needs more work.

Genji

Performance-wise Unity is very slow to load large 2D textures, they take a ton more memory than they need, it doesn't *really* support textures with non-power-of-two (it'll internally convert the NPoT texture to power of two, keeping both in memory)... And then there are little things like the default plane object, which most people use for 2D stuff (as it's just a rectangle), is made of like 1000 triangles instead of 2. And while Unity can batch calls for you (if you pay for Unity Pro) it doesn't have built-in support for atlasing, where a bunch of 2D art pieces get put into a single texture so only the one texture has to be loaded with one draw call for any number of on-screen elements.

My team was trying to use Unity to make a game that used 2D pixel art in a 3D environment, and on iPhone the game just had a ton of problems, especially loading times and memory. When we changed the game to using true 3D models, it got a LOT easier to work with - Unity is a very good tool for making multiplatform 3D games. Though we still had to create our own menu system since even Unity admits that their GUI system needs a complete rewrite.

There are plugins to work around some of these limitations, such as EZ-GUI and Sprite Manager, but if we were to start our project over, we would choose something else designed specifically for 2D games, like maybe Cocos2D.

As Dreamwriter points out, Unity out of the box does have a lot of limitations for 2D. I would say that while I don't have experience with any 2D plugin except 2D Toolkit, I assume they all replace the default plane with either a 2 tri one or a custom mesh for fill rate purposes, do sprite atlasing to batch draws (without pro), sprite dicing to pack textures tight etc. It's still awkward to use at first if you come from a traditional 2D SDK/engine background, but it's doable without any serious performance issues with some work.

The GUI system is terrible, hopefully the re-write coming with 4.0 improves it a lot. At this point better to just roll your own.

If you're more comfortable with a pure-code sort of thing, check out the (completely undocumented, but working) Futile is pretty great. MattRix has an hour-long tutorial dedicated to getting you going.

The GUI system is terrible, hopefully the re-write coming with 4.0 improves it a lot. At this point better to just roll your own.
Unfortunately the GUI rewrite in Unity isn't coming in 4.0 - it's 4.1 or 4.2. It's dependent on a "Timeline" animation feature that didn't make 4.0.

JulianImp

I've finally found a way to fix the broken borders: Adding little planes with a radial gradient from full opacity to full transparency, assigning the border shader to them, and placing one in each border that had a gap in it. While I have to manually place each patch on the borders, it wasn't hard to implement and gets the job done (at least until I can find a way to automate it).

I've also swapped the scenery plant's placeholder texture for something more fitting than a copper-ish computer chip texture, albeit still placeholder.

Here's an image with the new texture and border patches applied to the bottom platforms (but not the topmost ones):

I still have to create a better model and texture for the scenery plant (so it's easier to notice you can't interact with it) and give it some decent animations rather than swaying from side to side with linear interpolation curves.

Wok

Just a heads up to say that the list of IGF 2013 main entrants is available. I have already skimmed through the first 300 games, and the trend is iOs and other touch and mobile devices. There are lots of music and shooter games.

Posted in the Xbox Indie thread as well...

changesimprovements.jpg

New screenshot of Arcadecraft. New Japanese style cabinets. Updated standups, updated HUD, and now you can upgrade your power supply to have more games on the arcade floor.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
So after doing a little restructuring and adding some OOP, I've finally progressed with my0 prototype (took a few weeks off for no real reason as well :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YamUtRshNY

I've added an attack mechanic. Although it's not complete until I get an enemy on screen and implement some collision detection. It's certainly a nice step forward though. I need to do some number crunching though because it doesn't land on the ground (470) each time as you can see in the video. Next to work on is to get it to land in the same spot the whole time and then I'll be adding an enemy. He'll probably just move along slowly on a simple vector for now.

fin

Is this made in Unity? (I'm assuming it's going to be free so that Nintendo lawyer ninjas don't come after you :p)

Yup made in Unity. Definitely going to be free. Too bad I wouldn't mind trying to sell this, but it's my first game. I just wanted to make something that I think is cool and learn along the way. It's pretty much done, pretty happy with it.

Just cutting a trailer now, trying to get the best render settings with the minimal amount of file size. I searched and found some online. But I'm getting some motion blur too, maybe because I captured video at 60fps and rendering out to 30fps? I'm using Sony Vegas, if anyone has some render settings feel free to share. :)

Haven't been in this thread (or the previous indie thread) in a while, so I just wanted to drop by and say hi again. My iOS stuff kinda stalled as I kept myself busy with other life matters (like trying to pay the bills with job applications), only to have most of my work turned upside down when the series of Apple updates throws a wrench into the pipeline: Xcode 4.5, iOS6, new screen resolution. I was barely keeping up with making the changes to support iPad Retina, so yeah, it might be rebuilding stuff from the ground floor again.

So, for those who're in the iOS world (and specifically ones using TexturePacker), how are you dealing with the multiple set of assets? Pre iPad Retina - Most people were using two sets of assets: SD (3GS) and HD (4 + iPad). What's the new way of dealing with the different resolutions as far as grouping asset goes?

For TexturePacker: They upgraded to 3.0, and it looks like I need an upgrade fee... does anyone have enough use to tell me whether it solves some of that asset scaling/creation problem I'm looking at?

Also, with xCode 4.5: Since Armv6 got dropped. Does this mean that if I want to update for legacy devices (3G specifically), I'll have to submit two sets of binaries? One for a lower iOS version before the higher version?

I also don't have a iPhone 5, so as much as I liked to trust the emulator, I wonder what people are doing for that wider screen for asset too.

Edit: I guess I should help out the OP with a writeup of cocos2d.

Well actually that preview put it pretty well: "Tower Defense... where you're the Tower"

I'd actually, humbly argue that it's more akin to a bullet-hell shooter... frantically tapping the iPad thousands of times a minute and trying to get in "the zone" - that sort of thing.

Glad you're digging it SanaeAkatsuki - if you (or anyone else here) would be interested in checking out, just drop me a line.

In the meantime... another piece of art!

383412_528255423855227_944390297_n.jpg

This is for a Tower Defense game? Interesting...
I do like what I see :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom