• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popstar

If you don't need the absolute lowest level (which is WASAPI I believe) I can walk you through doing that with XAudio2.

There is no direct audio hardware access in Windows starting with Vista.

missile

If you don't need the absolute lowest level (which is WASAPI I believe) I can walk you through doing that with XAudio2. ...
Would be cool having a simple framework which get the job done. Ok, lets do it
with XAudio2 first. Is there a static XAudio2 library I can link against? In
the mean time I will read me into the concept of WASAPI and XAudio2. :+

Popstar

The versioning for XAudio2 is a bit weird. If you're on a newer version of Visual Studio / the Windows Developer Kit you should have the headers and libraries since it was included with Windows starting with Vista SP1. Otherwise you may need to install the last (June 2010) DirectX SDK.

Here's a sample implementation https://gist.github.com/Ludophonic/7597906 so we have something to refer to.

It's sleep time now for me. I'll check back in ~8 hours.

So I've been wanting to make a game for a while, just got the free version of the unity engine. Any tips for someone getting started? (Besides look at the tutorials on the site of course)

missile

The versioning for XAudio2 is a bit weird. If you're on a newer version of Visual Studio / the Windows Developer Kit you should have the headers and libraries since it was included with Windows starting with Vista SP1. Otherwise you may need to install the last (June 2010) DirectX SDK.

Here's a sample implementation https://gist.github.com/Ludophonic/7597906 so we have something to refer to.

Am going to install and check it all out. Thx!

razu

So I've been wanting to make a game for a while, just got the free version of the unity engine. Any tips for someone getting started? (Besides look at the tutorials on the site of course)

Just try to do simple things. Make a cube jump by pressing space... that kind of level of thing.. Then make other cubes disappear if you jump your cube into them... Anything! Bit by bit you'll just acquire knowledge.

Just Do It™

:D

Hinomura

Sooo... after getting mad at some gamemaker functions, just to discover they're not in the free version, I was considering buying Gamemaker Standard sooner than expected...

If I stand correctly, if I directly buy it from yoyo web I have no discount (I think it'll be discounted in Steam during autumn sales), but it's updated more quickly and I can run several instances at once (very useful imo, checking "what I did there and what I should do here" from several projects). Furthermore yoyo web gives you a Steam key (+1!).

Sooo Yoyo is the way to go?

Since my goal is making PC games, I'm aiming at standard version. Right choice?

Arigato gozaimasu! ^__^

Feep

Banned
Our lighting is looking great! Unfortunately, the appearance of "nodes" in the first level doesn't make any sense, so I need to find some other way to get some cool shadows.

The floor isn't in there yet, but it's gonna be awesome when it's in!

Screeny.png

Just try to do simple things. Make a cube jump by pressing space... that kind of level of thing.. Then make other cubes disappear if you jump your cube into them... Anything! Bit by bit you'll just acquire knowledge.

Just Do It™

:D

On it!

I'm a bit more intimidated learning how to do art assets but hey gotta start somewhere.

Five

Banned
It's still 3 hours until Saturday for me, but I figured hey why not since I'm at a good stopping point and I'll be working on my char's AI partner all day tomorrow, so now's as good a chance as any.

Gifcam caused a little lag since my laptop isn't particularly up to snuff, but you get the idea:
sepulcher-testGIF.gif

For more reference, the game is rendering in 1080p natively:

Five

Banned
Thanks! It's largely skeletal animation with lots of tweening, and it's running at 60fps in game. But to keep it from looking completely like a paper doll, I added a few articulations that can sort of simulate joint rotation on other axes with sprite swaps and dynamic model adjustments.

PhiLonius

It's still 3 hours until Saturday for me, but I figured hey why not since I'm at a good stopping point and I'll be working on my char's AI partner all day tomorrow, so now's as good a chance as any.

Gifcam caused a little lag since my laptop isn't particularly up to snuff, but you get the idea:

Loving the animations on this. Nice work!

Hinomura

Brack from Gamemaker :)

I realized that the functions I was getting mad at weren't in the paid version, I was just following outdated stuff.

Anyway I bought the Standard Edition at Yoyogames page so they got the bigger cut and I'll get a Steam key too (workshop seems at least interesting). Yesterday I went on "playing" with GameMaker until 4:30 AM and today I did some more tests (and it's past 2:30 AM already lol):

- played a bit with 1945 tutorial (vertical shm'up with planes)
- for better smoothness, I set the room speed to 180 (made a couple of tests)
- set the vsync via script (dunno why but it seems smoother than using general setting? probably it's just suggestion)
- got a quite stable 60 fps so I've started doubling enemy planes objects
- save for rare random +1 or -1 fps fluctuations, framerate was stable until 2.048 enemy planes.
- little hiccup from 2.048 to 4.096 enemy planes: 56-59-58 then back to 60fps
- another hiccup and a framerate drop from 4.096 to 8.192: 41-48-47 then about 50fps
- halt and serious drop from 8.192 to 16.384: 4-27-33 then about 34 fps
- went up at last to 32.764 and the framerate dropped to about 22 fps after major hiccup

CPU (i7@860) never budged, stable al 13-15% while doing even other tasks in bg (Win7@64)
GPU (gtx670oc) reached an astonishing 16%, wow! :D

I'm really curious to test it with Pro + Compiler Module, but I should making a bit of money from GM before buying them :D

Good night Gaf

PhiLonius

Brack from Gamemaker :)

I realized that the functions I was getting mad at weren't in the paid version, I was just following outdated stuff.

Anyway I bought the Standard Edition at Yoyogames page so they got the bigger cut and I'll get a Steam key too (workshop seems at least interesting). Yesterday I went on "playing" with GameMaker until 4:30 AM and today I did some more tests (and it's past 2:30 AM already lol):

I'm really curious to test it with Pro + Compiler Module, but I should making a bit of money from GM before buying them :D

Good night Gaf

If the number of instances becomes a problem you can always activate/deactivate depending on when you need them.

Margalis

Banned
Sup peeps.

I have returned after a lengthy absence. Just wanted to pop in and say I am pretty good at using Unity now and I am a Wii U developer that has gotten our stuff up and running on Wii U with rendering to both screens, drag and drop using the gamepad touch, networking, etc, so if you have questions about general Unity stuff or Wii U stuff feel free to post in the appropriate channels or PM me or just post here if it's not Wii U specific.

charsace

Anyone know how to access sprite sheet data in Unity? I look at the sprite documentation, but it doesn't really explain the sprite class.

Blizzard

Banned
Sup peeps.

I have returned after a lengthy absence. Just wanted to pop in and say I am pretty good at using Unity now and I am a Wii U developer that has gotten our stuff up and running on Wii U with rendering to both screens, drag and drop using the gamepad touch, networking, etc, so if you have questions about general Unity stuff or Wii U stuff feel free to post in the appropriate channels or PM me or just post here if it's not Wii U specific.
Feel free to hang out in the Wii U dev IRC channel linked from the forums. We're up to 7 or so people who regularly hang out, though we don't talk a lot. :p

I was making progress on Wii U porting, but then I got distractedy by 3D World this weekend...

Twisted Jenius

Neo Member
Hello everyone,

Twisty's Asylum Escapades is a game that I created as part of a 2 man team (I'm the artist on the project, working with a programmer). This is our first game and it has been in development for over 5 years. The game was created using the Torque Game Engine Advanced.

Twisty's Asylum Escapades is a dark, 3D, single player, action adventure video game that is completely free. You play as Twisty; the floating brain with a mouth full of razor sharp teeth, as he makes his way through this bizarre mental facility, fighting enemies and solving puzzles in order to escape from the asylum.

It's a very unique and fun game with a lot of b-movie style references and atmosphere. The purpose was sort of to invert the whole monster and hero dynamic, having you play as the monster coming up out of a dark "dungeon-like" place, as opposed to being a hero going down into one. It's also designed to be just random, crazy fun and subtly spoofs certain other gaming conventions. I'll also mention that it has a bit more depth to it than some people might think at first glance.

The game is free and you can download it from the official site- http://asylumescapades.com/

Any and all feedback is welcome and appreciated!

Here's a link to the trailer video-

Also, here are a few obligatory screen shots-
twisty_bite06.gif
nurse_fight03.jpg
bloody_hallway02.jpg

exec_office02.jpg
lobby02.jpg
specimen_hold02.jpg

basement_hallway04.jpg
glass_brick04.jpg
twisty_bite04.jpg

Check it out!-

Popstar

Just a heads up for any starving indie devs who use Visual Studio. Visual Studio Professional 2013 is $99 until the end off January if upgrading from a previous version. (In the US at least, it was $132 for me in Canada)

Microsoft Store said:
Valid from 1 November 2013 until 31 January 2014, or while supplies last. Available in Microsoft online stores in selected markets. Offer limited to customers that are upgrading from a previous version of Visual Studio Pro to Visual Studio Pro 2013. Not valid on prior orders or purchases; cannot be transferred or otherwise redeemed for cash or coupon code. Not combinable with other offers. Limit 1 per customer, per purchase. Taxes may apply. Void where prohibited or restricted by law.

GulAtiCa

I've gotten some wonderful feedback (both positive and negative, the negative being the most helpful) for my game. I've changed a good bit about the visuals. Each of the different bots have different color schemes now. Default Sentry stay the same blue, but Bombers are red for example/etc. Also added particles to the game to visualize the bots or bases being destroyed. Also added few new enemy visuals as well.

Jobbs

Banned
Our lighting is looking great! Unfortunately, the appearance of "nodes" in the first level doesn't make any sense, so I need to find some other way to get some cool shadows.

The floor isn't in there yet, but it's gonna be awesome when it's in!

Screeny.png

This is looking sharp.

if i'm reading correctly you're using a set of buffers? Was about to have a go at a similar thing using OpenAL and a rotating set of small buffers. very interested to get something working as static sounds only makes me sad. especially coming off a project on the raspberry pi where i just talk to the hardware directly.

Popstar

if i'm reading correctly you're using a set of buffers? Was about to have a go at a similar thing using OpenAL and a rotating set of small buffers. very interested to get something working as static sounds only makes me sad. especially coming off a project on the raspberry pi where i just talk to the hardware directly.

Yeah, in that example I'm using 4 small buffers. I fill up all four and queue them and then whenever one finishes I fill it back up and add it back into the FIFO queue.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I'm going to be making a mystery/horror VN and I'd like some help deciding which style I should draw it in.

i7wpWn0khBY5y.png

I've already got people voting elsewhere, but I'd like to see what GAF has to say.

I was making an entirely different game until recently, when problems with GMS caused me to sadly have to put it on hiatus. Now I'm learning Unity and hoping to get that game back on track, but it's going to take me awhile to learn how to use Unity effectively (I've only got my character moving around and jumping so far) so I wanted to have another game I can make good progress in while I'm learning that. Hence, the VN! Only a short one in comparison to the other one I have planned, but it will be good practice.

Blizzard

Banned
D is the most unique style, but I think everyone would have to look crazy and spooky if you went with it. B for normal, C for snobbish.

missile

If you don't need the absolute lowest level (which is WASAPI I believe) I can walk you through doing that with XAudio2.

There is no direct audio hardware access in Windows starting with Vista.
I've now grasp the main concepts about XAudio2, read about its history etc.
and have implemented a simple wavloader playing sounds on-demand. Sweet.

Today I'm going to consider the streaming stuff. I wrote a simple sine
oscillator that fills a buffer with a, well, sine wave featuring a smooth
change in pitch if any changes occur. I want to use this experimentally for
rising the pitch while nearing the end of a combat area flying an aircraft.
Arrrgh! ;) Or for indicating the "depth" of a stall. :D Anyhow. It seems like
the callback mechanism is XAudio2's way of signaling that the samples were
played, which is actually what I wanted to know initially. Am just curious how
short the buffers can be made, i.e. how fast the XAudio2 systems respond such
that an uninterrupted play can be assured, since this determines the latency
of the sounds being played. Sure I want to have the new sound being played the
millisecond it happens. Yet I've read somewhere that XAudio2's thread wakes up
every 10ms (XBox360 about ~5ms) processing and feeding data to the hardware.
So the buffers can be changed 100 times per second at best. Am going to
tinker around with it and will later build everything again with WASAPI after
having read more about it.

An interesting thing I discovered within XAudio2 is that it also allows for
32-bit floating-point sound data as input, i.e. WAVE_FORMAT_IEEE_FLOAT,
bypassing the PCM conversion penalty. That's way cool if one generates samples
from raw math filling the buffers. For example, a sine oscillator will already
produce 32-bit floating-point numbers (using sinf). Hence, no need for
conversion. However, the bandwidth doubles (16-bit PCM vs. 32-bit IEEE_FLOAT).

I'm going to be making a mystery/horror VN and I'd like some help deciding which style I should draw it in.

i7wpWn0khBY5y.png

I've already got people voting elsewhere, but I'd like to see what GAF has to say.

I was making an entirely different game until recently, when problems with GMS caused me to sadly have to put it on hiatus. Now I'm learning Unity and hoping to get that game back on track, but it's going to take me awhile to learn how to use Unity effectively (I've only got my character moving around and jumping so far) so I wanted to have another game I can make good progress in while I'm learning that. Hence, the VN! Only a short one in comparison to the other one I have planned, but it will be good practice.

C looks good.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Thanks for all the votes, guys!

B and C pretty much tied, so I finished up both of them and included some alternate facial expressions so you can see how the character(s) will change in each style.

ibfXYQRrSdM1kd.png

ibeRr1XICA7uKV.png

Tell me which you prefer! I hope it doesn't end up in a tie again, I don't want to have to choose...

I'm a little sad D only got a bare handful of votes, since that one was my favorite. But that always seems to be the case! No one likes my favorites.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

i7wpWn0khBY5y.png

Personally i would choose A for a more realistic tone, D for more indie/original feel(it reminds me of some 2d horror indie games), B is the best looking suited for more canonic style(but maybe it needs darker outlines), i don't like C too much.
It all depends on your idea of the game.

sepulcher-testGIF.gif

I like what I see!

I tried a similar kind of animation with a side project, I find that it's one of those easy to do hard to master kind of things but you seem to have it under control.

Hello everyone,

Twisty's Asylum Escapades is a game that I created as part of a 2 man team (I'm the artist on the project, working with a programmer). This is our first game and it has been in development for over 5 years. The game was created using the Torque Game Engine Advanced.

Twisty's Asylum Escapades is a dark, 3D, single player, action adventure video game that is completely free. You play as Twisty; the floating brain with a mouth full of razor sharp teeth, as he makes his way through this bizarre mental facility, fighting enemies and solving puzzles in order to escape from the asylum.

It's a very unique and fun game with a lot of b-movie style references and atmosphere. The purpose was sort of to invert the whole monster and hero dynamic, having you play as the monster coming up out of a dark "dungeon-like" place, as opposed to being a hero going down into one. It's also designed to be just random, crazy fun and subtly spoofs certain other gaming conventions. I'll also mention that it has a bit more depth to it than some people might think at first glance.

The game is free and you can download it from the official site- http://asylumescapades.com/

Any and all feedback is welcome and appreciated!

Here's a link to the trailer video-

Also, here are a few obligatory screen shots-
twisty_bite06.gif
nurse_fight03.jpg
bloody_hallway02.jpg

exec_office02.jpg
lobby02.jpg
specimen_hold02.jpg

basement_hallway04.jpg
glass_brick04.jpg
twisty_bite04.jpg

Check it out!-

This looks great and reminds me of the days when a video game was a video game and not a movie, full of wacky things instead of tears.

Thanks for all the votes, guys!

B and C pretty much tied, so I finished up both of them and included some alternate facial expressions so you can see how the character(s) will change in each style.

ibfXYQRrSdM1kd.png

ibeRr1XICA7uKV.png

Tell me which you prefer! I hope it doesn't end up in a tie again, I don't want to have to choose...

I'm a little sad D only got a bare handful of votes, since that one was my favorite. But that always seems to be the case! No one likes my favorites.

C reminds me of Phoenix Wright. Go C! :D

Twisted Jenius

Neo Member
This looks great and reminds me of the days when a video game was a video game and not a movie, full of wacky things instead of tears.

Thanks! That's basically what I was going for. Although it obviously doesn't resemble them exactly, I wanted the game to be in the same spirit as some of those wacky, classic "mascot games" (Super Mario, Sonic, Rayman, Pac-Man, etc.) with plenty of strange characters and environments that border on the surreal.

I don't like it when games take themselves too seriously and so I wanted Asylum Escapades to be mostly just weird and fun.

Five

Banned
I like what I see!

I tried a similar kind of animation with a side project, I find that it's one of those easy to do hard to master kind of things but you seem to have it under control.

Thanks! I've experimented with similar methods on four or five other occasions, so this is a much more refined product than what I started out trying a couple years back. I agree that it's definitely something you need experience with to get right.

On another note, I made large headway on a custom level editor this weekend. Similar to Spelunky or the upcoming game Chasm, mine picks from a bunch of sub-map templates and stitches them together and fills them out to make a unique larger level. Even if it wasn't integral to my game's systems, it's a hell of a lot faster than using GameMaker's level editor would have been for me, so that's a plus.

cbox

Started work on my third and final release trailer. Debating if I should go 60fps or not.

We're almost at the end of development!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom