• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhiLonius

I've been messing with some random generation in GM. Still have a ton of stuff to add and fix, but it's coming together better than the first attempt.

Q55bLzB.gif

Also my first time using GifCam.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I've been messing with some random generation in GM. Still have a ton of stuff to add and fix, but it's coming together better than the first attempt.

Also my first time using GifCam.

Holy wow, this is so cool! If you ever feel inclined to share your code, please PM me. This is fascinating as hell! :3

patchday

@Nico, That's interesting I used to think the samething. Then I followed 2-3 of their tutorials and next thing I knew I had a good grasp of everything. Granted, I've done mod projects, etc in other game engines before.

You can start off with their example work done in BootCamp and/or The 3rd person shooter. Myself, I started off clean and gradually brought in elements from their examples that I needed. Guess I did give myself bout a month to ramp up

Raonak

Banned
Yay! got knockback effect working, and my new enemy is complete (unless I decide to add more attacks). I've been mainly working on small things throughout the week, so nice to get something relatively big done as well.

Im doing level design on nax. Deciding what to add to the game to mix it up, as currently I have a bunch of interconnected areas with monsters to kill, coins to collect, chests to find. I can see it getting stale pretty quickly. Need some variety.

I did a lot of brainstorming yesterday and here's some things I've come up with.
-Light platforming (eg: areas where spikes come out of the floors and you're to jump over them, or climbing up the side of a cliff by jumping from platform to platform)
-Special locked chests, which contain rarer items in them, but require a key to open.
-Destructible objects, so that there's some interactivity with the world, AND gives tactical options. (eg: cut the trees down to reach enemies easier, or leave the trees up, making it harder for the enemy to get to you)
-Some water traversal, where your options are limited to swimming or jumping, just to change the pace. And water sections might have monsters which you can't attack, but you can use the snatch ability to teleport them out of the water and kill them on land.
-mud/snow/shallow water - areas where your movement is slowed down, dashing is impossible. and monsters are sometimes hiding underneath.
-tall grass - areas where monsters can hide in, but you can also hide in to avoid detection from monsters. possibly leading to some pseudo stealth sections if the enemy is too powerful.
-Key puzzles/pushing object puzzles.
-implementing "sidequests" where mid-mission, there might be an NPC who asks you to do a task on that mission, being completely optional, but you get a cash/item/card reward. (eg: clear out monsters in a room, or retrieve x item, kill a miniboss, find lost NPC, etc)

Thinking up these ideas is one thing... Implementing them is a whole different ball game.

Popstar

Anyone have any insight into how people typically divvy up profits from soundtrack sales?

If I pay someone for music upfront and then sell the soundtrack on Steam – either as DLC or in a game+soundtrack bundle – what percentage usually goes to the composer?

I imagine iTunes sales all go straight to the composer in most agreements. But I'm curious about sales where the soundtrack is sold with the game.

Feep

Banned
Anyone have any insight into how people typically divvy up profits from soundtrack sales?

If I pay someone for music upfront and then sell the soundtrack on Steam – either as DLC or in a game+soundtrack bundle – what percentage usually goes to the composer?

I imagine iTunes sales all go straight to the composer in most agreements. But I'm curious about sales where the soundtrack is sold with the game.
I have absolutely no idea how it's normally done, but in my case, It's 75% composers 25% me. However, this is in exchange for a relatively low up-front payment.

Also, bonus GIF:

AquaticCorrin.gif

EDarkness

That lighting is looking really great, EDarkness. Nice image!

Thanks. It's still early, but I hope that at the end of the day the lighting sets the mood of the game pretty well.

I now have a trailer for my Wii U eShop game!
ZaciSa's Last Stand
http://nintendoenthusiast.com/article/zacisas-last-stand-wii-u-eshop-game-first-look-details/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHl-Xq73zyw

So very close to being done! I'm so excited to be this far along in development.

Looks great. Congratulations. :)

MrOddbird

Neo Member
I played through the latest build of Katakomb yesterday.

I managed to write over four pages of improvements that need to be made, which doesn't account for the unfinished parts of the game. The early 2014 release date will thus most likely change to TBA. I really do not want to rush this thing.

I remember when I started making this game last year, hoping that I would finish it before the end of 2013, but a lot of things have changed since then. The problem is that there could be a lot of things that could even change now, since I add a lot of stuff, which might cause a problem.

Still, I really am proud of the work I've done so far - to think that only a year ago, I was still in such an early stage. Makes me wonder if I would've continued the developement, if I knew what was ahead of me? Heh, would I continue NOW if I knew what things I shall find in the uncertain future?

Thankfully I'm making this for fun and I really want to impress people with the product. I want it to be a big suprise for everyone with the game. I've only showed the game to a handful of people and they liked it a lot.

Onto other topics.

I need your help fellow developers. You see I'm not so sure if my monitor is correctly displaying colors. I've done everything to calibrate the colors of my monitor, but I'm still uncertain.

While I'm playing the game, the game looks very moody and dark on my monitor, but when I look at the edges of the screen, while I rotate the player's camera, the same area starts to appear more brighter, with less contrast. I don't know if my monitor is in a bad condition or what, but I would definitely appreciate, if some of you, with the correct gamma settings, would look at the screenshots of the game and tell me if they appear too bright.

For example:

Check this picture. Can you see the cave walls in this picture? Does the overall hallway appear bright? If so, is your monitor calibrated with the correct gamma settings?

The alternative would be to use an in-game gamma correction, but unfortunately Unity Free does not support this.
Is there a way to alter Unity's gamma without messing with lighting settings?

Thanks!

bumpkin

Ok, screw it being still super early to show something, I'll just throw stuff up for feedback purposes. I'm going for something that is more of a megaman zero game than a metroidvania. Right now it's a one man project so this is gonna take me awhile...

Just testing an outline in-game so I can make the sprite at a later date. At least with the outline done I can just do the art on top of it when I finish the concepts. So yeah, running on a bazillion placeholders.
hJBDiVd.gif

And early concept art
ACOT2HW.png
Looks good so far. Are you building your own engine or rolling something pre-fab like Unity or Gamemaker?

Looks good so far. Are you building your own engine or rolling something pre-fab like Unity or Gamemaker?

Gamemaker, I've never been a programmer and time is something that is not on my side, so went with something on the easier end that can get me results while still be flexible.

Hinomura

Haters gonna hate, but I'm shifting from a zero-results-three-years-session with XNA to GameMaker.

My goal is making "old style" games - think of NEC's PC Engine (TurboGrafx) classics, 2d bitmap, lowres pixelart - for PC, but adding something from nowadays to gameplay and scope.

I had too many troubles with XNA... I've read several books but I'm still lost. It's like every book gave me 10 valuable "basic" lessons each before diggin' in advanced lessons, but I feel I need at least a thousand "basic lessons" to start understanding it well.

Usually books start with very low profile lessons (a=1, b=1, a+b=2!!!) and suddendly jump to very advanced stuff without explaining most of the things, sometimes giving in this abused sentence:

"don't worry if you're not understanding what we are doing here. We are not even explaining it to you, it would be a waste. But don't worry, with enough practice you'll understand it by yourself".

WHAT!?!?!

Sadly I'm not a programmer, I'm pretty stressed out and my free time is restricted. My programming experience is limited to high level languages studied in the 90s and webdesign (don't trust anyone which is saying if you're a web designer you're pratically ready to do videogames). With XNA I've managed to do some little "tech demos" (parallax, starsfield, scanlines with variable dim, "ingame"resolution change according to desktop resolution etc), but a full game? lol.

I had an experience with Classic Construct in 2012. In about seven days I made three little and simple games (a breakout-without-bricks clone, a 4 levels time/score platformer and an Asteroids clone). Seven days. Again, in almost three years I haven't accomplished to make even the simplest game in XNA. But I had to discard Classic Construct since it had heavy limitations ("sorry, too much stuff here, I'm hanging, bye!"), and Construct 2 other than being HTML5 oriented, has problems with pixel perfect and timing (really bad for the games I'd like to do).

Another thing which killed me about XNA was the "find yourself a solution by googling" that revealed to be a nightmare. For any simple matter I quickly found a hundred of different solutions where authors claimed the others solutions were not working / had serious problems / were just plain stupd, leaving me with more doubts that I had at beginning.

I know, it's my problem, 20 years ago there was no google and programmers did it at metal in assembly, but I'd really like to contribute to gaming in some way.

At first I discarded GameMaker since tutorials I tried were pretty horrible (why syncing and 60fps are not on by default, resulting in stuttering low framerate mess?), but I've been dazzled discovering GameMaker has been used for Hotline Miami, Valdis Story, Risk or Rain, Gunpoint, etc. and Cook, Serve, Delicious! obviously.

Chubigans, I'll be probably bothering you ;)

Five

Banned
If any other GameMaker users need help, I've been using it for seven or eight years now. I know my way around. Now, if only I could find the time to finish the project I'm working on...

Hinomura

If any other GameMaker users need help, I've been using it for seven or eight years now. I know my way around. Now, if only I could find the time to finish the project I'm working on...

Thank you abe_bly!

Now I'm still too early for asking any help, but I'll definitely consider asking you too if I meet "ungoogable" problems! :D

For what I've seen now it's very similar to Construct, but you can add events directly to objects and you can directly write scripts (I'm sure there are other differences, but I've just started!).

missile

... I had too many troubles with XNA... I've read several books but I'm still lost. It's like every book gave me 10 valuable "basic" lessons each before diggin' in advanced lessons, but I feel I need at least a thousand "basic lessons" to start understanding it well. ...
Perhaps you may have 'read' too many books. What you describe with respect to
the books and googling etc. is something I have seen a lot (esp. in academic
circles).

If people lack a certain knowledge, or want to solve a problem, many of them
tend to gather a lot of material (books, papers, google, etc.) skipping
through the information hoping to find answers quickly, since reading the
whole thing is considered a wast of time, because the world is thought moving
so fast. This strategy only works if one already has a profound understanding
of the core principles. Having this allows one to skip those "basic" levels
Hinomura talked about without any regret. But if not, the gaps will only
widen. There is no replacement for gaining a throughout understanding of the
art. But the success stories, the enticing pictures of others (the pictures of
ones very own mind) make people tend to progress at an unrealistic rate
trading in a possible understanding of the principles and as such widening the
gaps much further.

Reading many different books of the same new subject is a very inefficient
task, for the brain has only a finite capacity in processing information. Too
much information lead to disorder (experienced as confusion) for the brain
being unable to organize the input. Nothing will be learned that way. The
consumed information will fade away quickly and one is doomed to read it all
over again. A very good strategy to learn something is to keep the flow of
information at a minimum (something the internet isn't able to deliver giving
its whoring character) to keep the degree of disorder at a low and to let the
brain actually work/focus on the information given for the neurons to fire in
a coherent and organized fashion again and again up to the point when they
will start to build new pathways in ones brain turning the information into
knowledge. Being deeply focused on the subject, this process is believed to
take about "21 days" until something happens, i.e. until the neurons start to
build new pathways -- given you have the right lipids / fat acids in your
cells which many people suffer due to wrong feeding by consuming way too much
trans-unsaturated fatty acids making it much more difficult for them to learn
something. Anyhow.

Within this regard, it is better to just take one or two books and study at
least one of them till the end. This may seem daunting for many people at
first, but it's a necessity to gain said profound understanding of the
principles. Once gained, skipping books, chapters etc. becomes a pleasure
because it shows one how much one already knows about the subject. Yet I want
to add that one hasn't understood that much until (s)he can write it down with
his own words. And to free one from the choice of which book to choose, I can
say that any book will do which covers the intend subject to a good degree.
The book is not the point, the point is you being focused on the subject. If I
should give an advice on books for learning a subject already established, I
would say; choose the old ones.

Raonak

Banned
I'm using game maker too, so if you need any help, hit me up.

I'm not an expert, but Im getting some good results
uQoTVNb.gif

(Nax of the Universe)

---

I did a lot of stuff today, well, this week in general, but today I got button remapping! I was absolutely DREADING implementing this because I expected it to take lots of work, but gamemaker's gp_ and vk_ functions made it easy as all hell. Saves a lot of work. Because I ended up finishing it before I expected, I went to work on the options screen in general, which is now done. The fucntionality of most of the options isn't working, but the UI is functional. Then I finished up with doing the controller remapping. which was pretty simple, mostly just reusing the keyboard remap code. Felt like I did a lot today. :)

so I want to start my kickstarter real soon so need to up the visibility of the game. I just created a facebook, put it on indie DB, anyone have suggestions of places to publicise projects? indie game forums and whatnot.

A twitter follower suggested steam greenlight, I know basically nothing about it, so if people could share thoughts, experiences and whatnot. I saw a 100$ fee, but not sure what I get out of doing so.

Where is a good place to find 3d modellers for unity? I have some fairly simple model ideas but no idea how to edit fbx files e.t.c , don't mind paying but It would be a very very small budget

GulAtiCa

Looks great. Congratulations. :)

Thanks! I'm so close to being done with the game. Really only have three things left to code. Additional music for the stages (which is easy), online leaderboard, and final additional graphics checks. Then I just need to make the digital manual, and really that will be it. :)

jumper

So I finally released my game, Killer Crypt, on Xbox Live Indie games (used XNA).

It started off with me just messing around with XNA and figuring out how to do basic 2D stuff, and then it kept growing and growing, and I kept adding stuff, like varied enemies, moving platforms, projectiles, etc. I didn't even have scrolling initially - the player would move from screen to screen. But eventually I decided to turn that effort into a real game. So this is not my dream game idea by any means, but it was definitely cool to play around with.

I have to say, completing that last 5% is tough (going from 95% to 100%), because when you think you're 95% complete, you're really not. You end up leaving a lot of little things for the end, things you didn't want to do before, like boring level tweaks or bug fixes. And when you're at the end, you still don't want to do them, For example, I kept procrastinating on my credits screen, because it meant giving attribution to all the many sound effect contributors (taken from freesound.org). (Luckily, I anticipated this from the start and tracked all sound effects I used in a spreadsheet, so it didn't take all that long). And then there is creating the publishing material, such as virtual boxart, a youtube video, etc. That last 5% ends up taking 4X as long as you originally thought.

Also, I kept finding myself wanting to add more and more. I'd sabotage myself by adding stuff for a game no one would ever see or notice (knowing how few people would try or buy it), resulting in a situation where I'd never finish the game. At some point, I decided to put a stake in the ground, stop adding stuff, and just get it out there.

Box:
xboxboxart.jpg

Killer Crypt XBLIG Marketplace link
youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuOXmnAmLn0

a couple of screens:
screen2.jpg

screen1.jpg

Hinomura

Thanks missile, very interesting post.

I'm not sure it's exactly my case since I read those books in three years and without skipping a page, but it's an interesting post. I still fear I miss a lot of basic notions while the books I read graze just a few of them at very first chapters.

I give you a little example of one of my thousands doubts: Bullets.

I was trying to do a vertical scrolling shm'up (2d gfx, bitmap only). Starting with player bullets, my idea was quite simple: using just a method, if fire is pressed in "battle mode" with player alive, using a cycle updating position and draw if conditions are met (just as I did ie for the starsfield).

I thought it was a good idea, but I needed to know if it was the right idea, having in mind several kind of bullets type, pattern, hitpoints and so on, then I googled...

A: "I recommend using a while cycle!"
B: "A do loop is better!"
C: "Are you joking? f-o-r-e-a-c-h!"
D: "Waitwaitwait - a method? Are you idiot?"
E: "He's right, go for a class, instance bullets and destoy them when..."
F: "WHAT? Destroying a bullet instance? That's pure nonsense! Use a POOL!"
G: "No, with a pool you're overcomplicating things with zero benefits!"
H: "But destroying bullet instances will bring mad stuttering!"
I: "No, no, just use classes to instance draw and position"

etc, going on forever and without considering the huge mass of not pertinent stuff.

And again, I gave up with XNA. But later I tried again, bought another book, started studying again, first chapters went on really easy, got a couple of new basic notions, but suddendly overwhelming advanced content I could barely understand and even more doubts. Gave up again.

I'm using game maker too, so if you need any help, hit me up.
Thank you, I will :)

I'm not an expert, but Im getting some good results
uQoTVNb.gif

(Nax of the Universe)
A twitter follower suggested steam greenlight, I know basically nothing about it, so if people could share thoughts, experiences and whatnot. I saw a 100$ fee, but not sure what I get out of doing so.

Good luck! :) Steam Greenlight fee could be heavily discounted in autumn deals (they probably start in a few days)... last year during autumn deals it got a 50% discount! ;)

Octodad 2: Reloaded
That's probably how Octodad born ;D

Feep

Banned
If anyone would like to see what my game's cutscenes are looking like without Octodad mode enabled:

Ringtone

(My temp voicing here is pretty amazing, not gonna lie)

Anonumos

Banned
So I got bored and decided to whip up this little idea I've been having in my head.

ihyOMnhWhpKZR.gif

I just can't think of a good story that would be good enough for a short 10 minute game right now

razu

So I got bored and decided to whip up this little idea I've been having in my head.

ihyOMnhWhpKZR.gif

I just can't think of a good story that would be good enough for a short 10 minute game right now

Ha, wicked!!

Story...? Just copy one, they're kinda all copies anyway :D

Jobbs

Banned
thanks guys :)

Love it. Has a kinda Fiorina Fury 161 vibe to it.

I see what you mean, but I didn't do this consciously. In fact, the wind effect ended up being more violent looking than I originally planned. Sometimes you go where the piece takes you.

Whoa, that's awesome. Are you going to add parallax at some point?

Parallax would be nice if the camera was actually tracking to the side, but it's not. it's just panning a bit.

Raonak

Banned

ihyOMnhWhpKZR.gif

Wow, that looks really good! Might copy that camera shaking effect, really adds a lot of impact.

The deadsuit's crashsite.

deadsuitshiploop.gif
Oh sweet jesus, that's beautiful

fuck me that's awesome.

If you haven't played the new demo

(https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByCEUYIGTsHoLXZGSjBBdTFkRFk/edit)

Here's what Abin does to your board when you get him down low enough:

abinswagiix7c.gif
Very nice!

bkw

ihyOMnhWhpKZR.gif

Whoa, this is something you "whip up" when you're bored? Impressive!

Mikado

thanks guys :)
I see what you mean, but I didn't do this consciously. In fact, the wind effect ended up being more violent looking than I originally planned. Sometimes you go where the piece takes you.

It's 'dat camera shake, I guess. Just calls out for peaking/distortion wind sound effect.

I say go with it. Sure sells that "Welp, you're on your own now" moment.

Anonumos

Banned
Whoa, this is something you "whip up" when you're bored? Impressive!

Wow, that looks really good! Might copy that camera shaking effect, really adds a lot of impact.

Oh sweet jesus, that's beautiful

Very nice!

I fear you have to use the old Steam account...

Wow, I love it already :D

Ha, wicked!!

Story...? Just copy one, they're kinda all copies anyway :D

Thanks guys!

I don't post very much in this thread, but I have another project I'm working on if you enjoyed seeing this. It's much more ambitious and I hope to have it ready some time next year.

missile

... I thought it was a good idea, but I needed to know if it was the right idea, having in mind several kind of bullets type, pattern, hitpoints and so on, then I googled...
As cool as google is for referencing etc., it can also lead to a lot of
confusion, not only because of the increasing disorder in ones mind trying to
organize all the information (to make sense out of it), but also because of
how most of the information on the internet is presented, i.e. as fragments.
This is ideal for referencing but not for learning. It is virtually impossible
to learn from fragments no matter how valuable the information is, yet there
are exceptions in cases where one already knows about a large portion of the
subject. If nothing is known about the subject one can also learn from the
internet as well, of course. If you look at it you may perhaps have learned the
most while reading long texts embedded within a certain context (tutorials
for example) and you not being distracted by flashy animations, ads, or way
too many links etc.. That's one of the striking advantages of books, i.e.
getting distracted by them / by the medium itself is almost zero. That's an
ideal situation to gain focus.

The deadsuit's crashsite.

deadsuitshiploop.gif
Attention whore!
Simply amazing!
Yet I'm uncomfortable with the planet in the background. If the planet/moon
is supposed to be outside of the atmosphere and a large distant away from
the point of view it needs to be shaded much brighter. In the current
situation it looks like if it is a big rock hanging in the air a few miles
away. If I could reach the mountains in the background I would assume standing
pretty close to that something. Anyhow, we talked about it a couple of months
ago, it's your game so be it. ;) Btw; The texture on the moon/planet reminds
me on the surface of mars. I pretend I have seen it before. Is this a tell?
Does the game take place on a lost moon of mars?

Jobbs

Banned
Attention whore!
Simply amazing!
Yet I'm uncomfortable with the planet in the background. If the planet/moon
is supposed to be outside of the atmosphere and a large distant away from
the point of view it needs to be shaded much brighter. In the current
situation it looks like if it is a big rock hanging in the air a few miles
away. If I could reach the mountains in the background I would assume standing
pretty close to that something. Anyhow, we talked about it a couple of months
ago, it's your game so be it. ;) Btw; The texture on the moon/planet reminds
me on the surface of mars. I pretend I have seen it before. Is this a tell?
Does the game take place on a lost moon of mars?

Good point. This along with a couple other things would probably be tweaked first if I were to use it in-game (I'm considering using loops like this as little loading bumpers when you first load your save). I also want to improve the movement of the little plants, which I kinda rushed through.

And no, it's not Mars. It's a fictional universe. This is Lorian V, which orbits Lorian Proper. Remember?

206c9dd8ea13b448ad6b3a3c331b0729_large.jpg

Amazing is always, love it.

Feep

Banned
Curious. You might have mentioned this earlier in the thread, but is this a standalone editor you made? Or did you build it within the Unity Editor?
Standalone. I made it using XNA! I add new event types to it all the time.

"So I heard through the grapevine Unity isn't the best choice if you want your game to be moddable."

Well, there's nothing inherently built into the engine to support modding, you'd have to roll it yourself.

Raonak

Banned
finally made a new level in the game, It's early now, but shaping up. Initially it was really grey and generic looking before. found it lackluster, and went back to my forest level to see if I can make it more like that, asthetically. I think I've found 3 things that I'm going to use to form a consistent design language in nax. Vibrant colours + Trippy Patterns + No Outlines

Anyway, Research Facility! I want to implement some nice radial 2D lighting into the game to give it a more visually intense look, but that'll probably happen later.
Wlvy3Em.png

I've decided to take inspiration from Demons Souls in regards to level structure. there will be a hubworld and multiple different areas you can access via the hub. Each area will have a handful of levels in it, But the levels in each area is traversed in a linear fashion, So for example, the Ember Forest is an area. you go through the level and then fight a boss at the end, after which, another part of the area opens up. The Deep Woods, which has a boss at the end, then the Mystic hills with it's own boss. etc. Each additional level will be progressively more difficult.

1-1) Ember Forest (BOSS: Forest Troll)
1-2) Deep Forest (BOSS: Wood Guardian)
1-3) Mystic Hills (BOSS: Queen Wasp)
1-4) Ember Mines (BOSS: Last Miner)
1-5) Dark Abyss (MEGABOSS: Necromancer)

There will be multiple areas you can access from the hub. and each area will be in a completely different place.

I want to get my KickStarter launched soon, but before that I need to get a new Demo of the game out. I'm aiming to get it finished by next week and it would essentially be a vertical slice of the game, which would show potential backers what to expect from the finished product.

missile

What's the simplest way (least overhead) to stream PCM (raw binary) sound/data
under windows from C/C++ to the speakers? Am interested in generating some
realtime sounds. Ideally I would be pleased to have a function to which I can
give a sound sample (8bit whatever) and which also informs me in whatever way
when the sample has finished playing such that I can give the next one. The
point is that I want to stream the data on demand and not give a fixed sound
file/buffer which will be sent to whatever system down the pipe. I want sort
of direct play, i.e. sending the data straight to the DA converter.

I remember doing this on DOS with the old SoundBlaster card addressing the
whole thing in assembly, which actually comes down to a loop with a body of
just a few line; no need for IRQ and Channels. ;) Indeed, the SoundBlaster was
able to play realtime PCM steams, a feature not many have used due to the
large performance requirement. Playing a ready made 8-bit sound at 8kHz was
ok, yet it took a large percentage of the computing power, not speaking about
various synchronization issues and the size of the data. Now add that you want
to generate the samples (from raw math) in realtime during program execution
at a certain frequency.
This!

Btw; If you have DOSBox, just type C:\debug and enter
o 22c 10
o 22c ff
(q for quit)

You will hear a very short beep if your emulated SoundBlaster is set to 220
DMA. 22c is the I/O address for direct play. We output (o) a 10 to the
address 22c for activating direct play, which needs to be activated again
after each sample has being played. Once activated, we simply output a sample.
In this case ff (8-bit). That's basically what you do in assembly, putting
everything in a loop and add that you need to wait until you can send the next
one. Can't get any easier.

Am looking for something similar under Windows. Does anyone here have some
experience setting up PCM streams in C/C++ or Assembler that may come close to
what I have described? Thanx in advance!

Edit:
Ehm, in the example above you may have to turn on your speaker first, if it
isn't already, by issuing 'o 22c d1', hence
o 22c d1
o 22c 10
o 22c ff

Just try it! It's amazing!! xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom