• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.
RoughLevelFlyBy said:
ibnUzKoQe4nakQ.gif

Been working on this game with a friend (he is the artist) for a while. A GIF flythrough of a level.

bsp

Figured it's time I join in on the pimping -- some really neat projects in this thread!

I'm one half of polycrime, an independent game studio, and for the past year we've been working on a first person puzzle game called Modulate. We recently got Greenlit this past Wednesday (after only 3 days!!!) so we'll be shipping for sure so far on Steam and the Wii U some time late 2014.

ibgLDjNqmlBvp9.png

ib2g6VHliI36B0.png

iZoYFr1aidyTZ.png

ibykkvFWbxMhpp.png

The main mechanic is the action of frequency switching -- certain objects are tied to one of three (max) channels, while other objects can be pulled with you into different frequencies on your whim. Tons of development remains (hence untextured props and such) so these are screenshots from the introductory areas. Story is being kept under wraps for now, partially for secrecy and partially because it isn't all figured out yet. ;)

We keep a semi-regularly updated blog here and we occasionally tweet here.

anteevy

Talking about demos, I spent a few hours tweaking levels and published a new one for my on-and-off project, Quark Storm. I mostly did it out of a sense of duty, since I had something I felt was showable for a while, and I just had to make a few tweaks to the GUI, the player controls for the smarthphone version and some changes to the levels I had already finished.

(...)
Just played through it on Windows (until the bug in 2-2) and I think this has a lot of potential. The controls are good which makes it fun to play. That core gameplay mechanic can easily be extended with a lot of additional gameplay ideas like:
- power-ups with limited time or uses that e.g. let the ball "jump" higher or even change direction in mid-air
- levels that have to be finished with a limited amount of jumps
- moving energy fields that destroy the ball
- changing gravity direction, zero gravity

I also like the main menu. Maybe the transitions should be faster and I can only recommend iTween for smoother movement (using the moveTo() method with an easytype that is not linear).

Reminds me a lot of a prototype I did 4 years ago, Thriceball: http://www.indiedb.com/games/thriceball/downloads/thriceball-v10
I never built it into a real game because my level building workflow was awful (and the PhysX implementation in Ogre was quite buggy)... thank god for Unity now. :D

HelloMeow

Figured it's time I join in on the pimping -- some really neat projects in this thread!

I'm one half of polycrime, an independent game studio, and for the past year we've been working on a first person puzzle game called Modulate. We recently got Greenlit this past Wednesday (after only 3 days!!!) so we'll be shipping for sure so far on Steam and the Wii U some time late 2014.

That looks great. I like the look of the wire frame elements. I hope they are part of the game.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
An updated screenshot of my game , Junkcraft Armada.

More info at http://www.indiedb.com/games/junkcraft-armada
or my development blog at http://mysticrivergames.blogspot.com
I love the feel and idea of these games. But they are often so complex. Please make it easy to play :)

We are working on full synchronous multiplayer. It will be super seamless. If you're playing the game on your pc and your friend is playing on his iphone in the train you can instantly visit each other island. No lobby system, no connecting etc. Just seamless multiplayer.

1453537_681483875218774_65676421_n.jpg

Some werewolf joined my game when I was cleaning my house.

Not a lot to show off this week but I did manage to get me resource collector in.

ss71213.png

Hoping this week to get some more ships in plus working turrets

hitsugi

After getting Game Maker Studio Standard for free, I bit on the $25 offer for Professional. Guess now that I'm committed, it's time to do something!

Five

Banned
My wallet feels lighter.

My computer can run my game at 1080p/60fps, but only if that's all I'm doing. Which means fraps and gifcam each cause slow-down, and I can't be streaming anything on Twitch or Hulu or whatever at the same time on my second monitor. It's been serviceable, but today I got frustrated at being thusly hampered, so I just ordered myself a new machine.

In two or three weeks, I fully expect to be posting videos of the game running in beautiful full-HD! :D

razu

Hmmm, not much devving recently, what with 3DS Zelda, PS4 and GT6 dropping all at once! Still, always good to actually play some games!

I did get a new phone yesterday, the Samsung S4. I just plugged it into Unity and created and ran an example scene on it. Full 1920 x 1080 running with a bloom post-processing shader in a matter of minutes. That's pretty rad. Both in terms of a telephone having so much power, and a dev environment, (although Unity has been a bit unstable of late).

Hopefully I'll get some time to prototype some environmental audio for my 'horror' prototype. I've been reading the docs for the audio filters, (http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Components/class-AudioEffect.html), can't wait to try them out!

This is so not the thread for this, and I'm fully aware of that, I just didn't want to create a whole topic in OT when some of you guys might know.

Anyway a friends bday is coming up and they are indie devs just like you guys. I often seen him scribbling level designs and notes in a regular cheap pad since it's all they could afford. Do you guys know of a really great one you can buy online that is good quality to get em? Bonus points if I can personalize it with their name or something.

They also draw some of their environment art concepts and stuff in a sketchbook. I guess they don't have a sketchbook/notepad in one. Anyone know anything?

/random

cbox

This is so not the thread for this, and I'm fully aware of that, I just didn't want to create a whole topic in OT when some of you guys might know.

Anyway a friends bday is coming up and they are indie devs just like you guys. I often seen him scribbling level designs and notes in a regular cheap pad since it's all they could afford. Do you guys know of a really great one you can buy online that is good quality to get em? Bonus points if I can personalize it with their name or something.

They also draw some of their environment art concepts and stuff in a sketchbook. I guess they don't have a sketchbook/notepad in one. Anyone know anything?

/random

Honestly, I love using dollar store notepads because I don't care about wasting papers - since they're so cheap. I've had some of those generic black binded blank sketchbooks as they last a big longer and cost a bit more. You can always look at this site :

http://www.moleskine.com/en/

They make nice books, though the prices can vary.

Honestly, I love using dollar store notepads because I don't care about wasting papers - since they're so cheap. I've had some of those generic black binded blank sketchbooks as they last a big longer and cost a bit more. You can always look at this site :

yeah I know those are good but I'm just not sure. Why is it so hard to pick something out for someone :p

Mikado

I can second that.

I love the moleskine unlined reporter pads that flip open vertically. If you turn them horizontally, they've got a wide aspect ratio (I think A5-ish maybe?) so if feels a bit more cinematic which is nice if you're doing sketches for film/games. Vertically, they're roughly comic book aspect. They're also the same size and aspect ratio as a 7 inch tablet which is handy for just stacking the two together and heading to the coffee shop/bar/wherever your mate likes to doodle.

Having the binding on the top weirds some people out though I guess.

Popstar

/random
I like the Whitelines notebooks. They're nerdy.

gabbo

ibgLDjNqmlBvp9.png

ib2g6VHliI36B0.png

iZoYFr1aidyTZ.png

ibykkvFWbxMhpp.png

The main mechanic is the action of frequency switching -- certain objects are tied to one of three (max) channels, while other objects can be pulled with you into different frequencies on your whim. Tons of development remains (hence untextured props and such) so these are screenshots from the introductory areas. Story is being kept under wraps for now, partially for secrecy and partially because it isn't all figured out yet. ;)

Very cool looking. Keep us updated!

ibgLDjNqmlBvp9.png

ib2g6VHliI36B0.png

iZoYFr1aidyTZ.png

ibykkvFWbxMhpp.png

I ran into you guys a couple of times at IndieCade. (I'm half of SuperChop Games) Congrats on the Greenlight! Game looks great.

Yeah we're going to do an IndieGogo starting soon, plus forums, really build our userbase.

That's great news. Best of luck. Might I suggest the "Funding the Dream on Kickstarter" podcast? The host has lots of good info about running a Kickstarter campaign. Maybe start with some of the earlier episodes.

Also, I'm an attorney that would love to help out indie developers through my blog, which I cross-post to Gamasutra. What kind of questions do you guys have that would make good post topics? Is there any interest in a sort of "A-Z" step-by-step eBook or something that would cover all the major legal issues that developers face?

Vark

Thanks guys, taking everything into account. If anyone has anything else to add feel free. Sorry for semi derail lol.

Honestly, it really depends. Paper medium is simultaneously deeply personal and totally irrelevant. Some books are better than others in some situations, but it also depends on your intent and what medium you mostly use.

I've known amazing artists that used scrap printer paper bound on a clipboard and I've known some that swear by a particular brand. Depends on the medium, use and personal taste.

Moleskines are pretty classic but mostly for the closure strap and the name. If they were sketching more and you wanted something snazzier i'd say a Fabriano artist journal but they weigh a ton and are geared more towards dry medium (graphite, charcoal, pastels) and ink work.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/fabriano-artists-journal/?wmcp=amazon&wmcid=feeds&wmckw=10365-5010

Chronus

Hey guys! Me and a couple of friends just finished our first attempt at making a game.
It's called Gravity Forge and it's a sidescrolling platformer where the character can invert gravity and run & jump on the ceiling.
It's mainly action based, with some puzzle and collecting elements.
We know it's quite simple compared to most of the stuff posted here and it's not really commercial level, especially graphically speaking. We have no designers on our team, so it's all programmer art, we did the best we could.
Anyway, we just got accepted to newgrounds, you can play it here: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/629922
It's a bit hard, but that was what we were really aiming for.
We appreciate any feedback.

Random screenshot:
ibrraSFtwmAqvR.png

How is Clickteam Fusion to use for a complete novice like me? I'm one of those boring people who wants to make a Zelda II/Igavania style platformer. Or a remake of one of the Zelda CD-I games.

_machine

The devs of Interplanetary posted a blog post about their experience of the greenlight and what they're at right now:
Inside Interplanetary - How to Greenlight

They also recently posted an update alpha build on the Greenlight for Win and Mac OSX (the Linux build should be coming eventually, apparently). They also wanted to thank everyone here who voted for them and helped with gathering some data for the campaign.

Honestly, it really depends. Paper medium is simultaneously deeply personal and totally irrelevant. Some books are better than others in some situations, but it also depends on your intent and what medium you mostly use.

I've known amazing artists that used scrap printer paper bound on a clipboard and I've known some that swear by a particular brand. Depends on the medium, use and personal taste.

Moleskines are pretty classic but mostly for the closure strap and the name. If they were sketching more and you wanted something snazzier i'd say a Fabriano artist journal but they weigh a ton and are geared more towards dry medium (graphite, charcoal, pastels) and ink work.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/fa...ckw=10365-5010
you're right about everything. Guess I just wanted something more personal rather than something of supreme quality. Which is why I was wondering if there were any decent quality ones you can personalize with a name or something like that.

But yeah thanks for the input.

cbox

The devs of Interplanetary posted a blog post about their experience of the greenlight and what they're at right now:
Inside Interplanetary - How to Greenlight

They also recently posted an update alpha build on the Greenlight for Win and Mac OSX (the Linux build should be coming eventually, apparently). They also wanted to thank everyone here who voted for them and helped with gathering some data for the campaign.

Man I really screwed up my greenlight page. I created the page right when the service launched and accidentally published it live thinking I had saved it for offline editing. I went back about a week later and had about 100 negative comments and a bunch of no votes. I wish I had waited until we had an almost final build of the game to showcase, though the comments we did receive have been great.

bkw

Anyone have any pointers or tips on AI and position? My game is a brawler/hack and slash type done in Unity.

Currently the idea is to have everything in an arena type of room, so hopefully that excludes path finding for now. As an enemy, two things I need to figure out is how to avoid walls, and how to position myself in relation to the player so I can punch.

For sensing the walls, would something like ray casting feelers work? Or perhaps a large trigger collider? Find out if I'm going to potentially hit, then do some normal calculation to push my target position away. Perhaps some desired target position is determined by the system that wants to punch the player, then that position is modified by the "avoid walls" system.

I'm probably just going to have to implement some ideas, then tweak and tune, but I'm trying to get a feel of what things I need to consider from the start. (e.g. Every character right now has a rigid body non-kinematic collider, but I suspect that might cause some issues where AI and physics fight each other. I control characters with rigid body velocities right now, but maybe it'll be easier/cleaner to just lerp position, and deal with avoiding collisions in the AI code.)

Ashodin

I haven't posted here in a while, but I've been working on more stuff while working on setting up a second Kickstarter to kick off in January. This time we'll spring back hard!

Anyway, here's a GIF of the main map scrolling, actually a little bit to figure out, heh!

3o76kzw.gif

charsace

Need some help in Unity. I made a custom inspector to edit a tile map. I want to get events when I do something in the scene view. For some reason I randomly lose focus control. Here is the code:

My custom inspector OnSceneGUI:
Code:
void OnSceneGUI()
	{

int controlID = EditorGUIUtility.GetControlID(FocusType.Passive);

Event currentEvent = Event.current;
		Debug.Log(" Scene gui running!" + controlID);
		//Debug.Log (this.GetInstanceID());
		if(tileMapLayer.editCollision == false)
			EditTileMap(controlID, currentEvent);
		if(tileMapLayer.editCollision == true)
			EditTileMapCollisions(controlID, currentEvent);

Debug.Log(EditorGUIUtility.hotControl);
		HandleUtility.Repaint();
	}

Two functions that should get mouse events:
Code:
void EditTileMap(int controlID, Event currentEvent)
	{
//		Event currentEvent = Event.current;
//		int controlID = EditorGUIUtility.GetControlID(FocusType.Passive);
//		Debug.Log("EditTileMap ran");
		if (currentEvent.type == EventType.MouseDown && currentEvent.button==0)
		{		
			EditorGUIUtility.hotControl = controlID;
			Debug.Log("Button 0");
			Ray mouseRay = HandleUtility.GUIPointToWorldRay(currentEvent.mousePosition);
			mousePosition = new Vector2(mouseRay.origin.x, mouseRay.origin.y);
			int tileX = (int)mousePosition.x;
			int tileY = (int)mousePosition.y;
			Vector2 tempMousePos = new Vector2(tileX, tileY);

if(selectedSprite!=null)
			{
				if(tileMapLayer.tileMap.Count<=0)
					tileMapLayer.LoadTileMap();

if (tileMapLayer.tileMap[tileY].nestedList[tileX].hasTile == true)
				{
					SpriteRenderer tempRend = GameObject.Find("Tile Object "+" "+(tempMousePos.x)+", "+(tempMousePos.y)).GetComponent<SpriteRenderer>();
					tempRend.sprite = selectedSprite;
				}
				if (tileMapLayer.tileMap[tileY].nestedList[tileX].hasTile==false)
				{
					AddTile(tempMousePos);
				}

}

//			Debug.Log(mousePosition);
			currentEvent.Use();
		}

if (currentEvent.type == EventType.MouseDown && currentEvent.button==1)
		{
			Debug.Log("Button 0");

if (tileMapLayer.tileMap[tileY].nestedList[tileX].hasTile)
			{
				tileMapLayer.tileMap[tileY].nestedList[tileX].Reset();
				GameObject.DestroyImmediate(GameObject.Find("Tile Object "+" "+(tempMousePos.x)+", "+(tempMousePos.y)));
			}

//			Debug.Log(tempMousePos);
			currentEvent.Use();
		}
	}
Code:
void EditTileMapCollisions(int controlID, Event currentEvent)
	{
//		Event currentEvent = Event.current;
//		int controlID = EditorGUIUtility.GetControlID(FocusType.Passive);
//		Debug.Log("EditTileMapCollisions ran");
		if (currentEvent.type == EventType.MouseDown && currentEvent.button==0)
		{

Debug.Log(tempMousePos);

if (tileMapLayer.tileMap[tileY].nestedList[tileX].hasTile == true && 
			    tileMapLayer.tileMap[tileY].nestedList[tileX].IsCollisionTile == false)
			{
				//if(tileMapLayer.tileMap[tileY].nestedList[tileX].IsCollisionTile == false)
				{
					tileMapLayer.tileMap[tileY].nestedList[tileX].IsCollisionTile=true;
					GameObject.Find("Tile Object "+" "+(tempMousePos.x)+", "+(tempMousePos.y)).AddComponent<BoxCollider2D>();
				}
			}

currentEvent.Use();
		}

if (currentEvent.type == EventType.MouseDown && currentEvent.button==1)
		{

Debug.Log(tempMousePos);

if (tileMapLayer.tileMap[tileY].nestedList[tileX].IsCollisionTile == true)
			{
				tileMapLayer.tileMap[tileY].nestedList[tileX].IsCollisionTile = false;
				Object.DestroyImmediate(GameObject.Find("Tile Object "+" "+(tempMousePos.x)+", "+(tempMousePos.y)).GetComponent<BoxCollider2D>());
				GameObject.Find("Tile Object "+" "+(tempMousePos.x)+", "+(tempMousePos.y)).GetComponent<BoxCollider2D>();
			}

currentEvent.Use();
		}

}

I don't understand what the problem is. The hotcontrol resets to zero at random.

charsace

Still can't figure out how to keep focus on the game object when using Onscenegui. Unity website has no examples for it which makes 0 sense since custom tools is something people are gonna want to do. I would be done with this custom editor for now if this would work. I can't build levels how I want or do A * without it. I just don't understand how it isn't working.

cbox

We're not sure if this will be in the final game, but it looked too badass - so we may keep it. You can detach the whip anytime while you have it out, and use it as a barrier, or to knock bullets off of. After a few seconds, the whip disintegrates and turns into stray "bullets" from which you can knock around with a new whip, or any other gunfire from the ship. Pretty cool stuff!

jlFn162.gif

Ashodin

We're not sure if this will be in the final game, but it looked too badass - so we may keep it. You can detach the whip anytime while you have it out, and use it as a barrier, or to knock bullets off of. After a few seconds, the whip disintegrates and turns into stray "bullets" from which you can knock around with a new whip, or any other gunfire from the ship. Pretty cool stuff!

jlFn162.gif

Unintentional stuff is always the best creatively. That ability looks pretty awesome, you should keep it.

Working on equipment menu:

Qzz0UKL.gif

scaffa

Recorded a gameplay video last week and finally had the time to upload it, shows a 1vs1 match. Currently remaking the interface and the menu, hope that is done after the weekend :) Also made a decision in naming the project and the game is called 'Horizon Danger.'

To make it a bit more official I created an indiedb page, you can check out the video over there: Horizon Danger Gameplay vid

Five

Banned
Recorded a gameplay video last week and finally had the time to upload it, shows a 1vs1 match. Currently remaking the interface and the menu, hope that is done after the weekend :) Also made a decision in naming the project and the game is called 'Horizon Danger.'

To make it a bit more official I created an indiedb page, you can check out the video over there: Horizon Danger Gameplay vid

Looks like fun! One little thing I'd say, at least in watching the embedded video, is that PLAYER1 and PLAYER2 are harder to read than they should be. There's already a lot of visual noise in the scene, which is fun, but a little extra clarity can go a long way. I think it's a combination of the font choice and having to read the whole word PLAYER before getting to the number. What if it just said P1 like the scoreboard? Or only had the number? Color-coding can also help.

I hate to sound like I'm nitpicking on something so small, and maybe this is something that wouldn't bother most people or is less of an issue when the screen is larger, but it never hurts to think of the little things. It's the little things that people are talking about when they say a game is polished.

bkw

Anyone else here struggle to find a balance between "rolling your own" code versus using an existing library or engine?

I find the implementation of a lot of stuff quite fascinating, so I always want to try to put stuff together on my own. What then usually happens though is that I get frustrated in how slow things are progressing. I also find that since things are new, often I'm just lifting sample code from somewhere, and that doesn't feel like learning at all (despite making sure I understand what the code does first.)

That darn Unity Asset Store seems like a blessing and a curse.

bkw

Developing the framework for future additions is tough but rewarding once it's done.
Looks like it's coming together quite nicely!

One thing I've noticed though, is that everything seems to be of a similar tone. I feel like you could crank the contrast to make things "pop" and guide the player's focus. The gameplay screen for example... The background is very similar to the board and character art. I think if it were darker, the characters would stand out more, and the player attention would be drawn more towards the board itself. Similar issues with the borders of the UI elements and the mouse cursor. Thicker borders or drop shadows might help as well, but I'm not sure if you want to go that route.

scaffa

Looks like fun! One little thing I'd say, at least in watching the embedded video, is that PLAYER1 and PLAYER2 are harder to read than they should be. There's already a lot of visual noise in the scene, which is fun, but a little extra clarity can go a long way. I think it's a combination of the font choice and having to read the whole word PLAYER before getting to the number. What if it just said P1 like the scoreboard? Or only had the number? Color-coding can also help.

I hate to sound like I'm nitpicking on something so small, and maybe this is something that wouldn't bother most people or is less of an issue when the screen is larger, but it never hurts to think of the little things. It's the little things that people are talking about when they say a game is polished.

It doesn't sound like nitpicking. At several playtests I received that feedback and currently working on to make that stuff more clear. That font is gone and made a new one. Actually your point about just putting P1 or 1 above the player is something that I havent thought of yet, so thanks im going to try that out:)

Another point of feedback I received was that due to the action, especially in a 4 player match, it's sometimes unclear where the player spawns again and that whole thing is going to be removed this week for something else and hope that it works out :D

Thanks for the feedback :)

Ashodin

Looks like it's coming together quite nicely!

One thing I've noticed though, is that everything seems to be of a similar tone. I feel like you could crank the contrast to make things "pop" and guide the player's focus. The gameplay screen for example... The background is very similar to the board and character art. I think if it were darker, the characters would stand out more, and the player attention would be drawn more towards the board itself. Similar issues with the borders of the UI elements and the mouse cursor. Thicker borders or drop shadows might help as well, but I'm not sure if you want to go that route.

Hey cool thanks, I'll mess around with it.

Feep

Banned
So, it *just so happens* that my company, Iridium Studios, has a job opening. As of, like, today. If you're interested, forward a cover letter and resume to iridium@playiridium.com. We're looking to hire as soon as we can. I know there's lots of talent in this thread, so I wanted to post this here. = D

LEAD GAMEPLAY PROGRAMMER

Description: Take over lead gameplay development on There Came an Echo, a voice-controlled real-time strategy game. We use the Unity engine. The candidate will organize and manage the primary codebase, navigation mesh traversal, AI design, battle mechanics, and overall structure of the game. He or she will work closely with the designer, artists, and sound team to create an intense, narrative experience.

What It's Like Working Here: We're an indie studio, so we don't have crazy perks, but we're a highly passionate team working on something genuinely new and exciting. We all share the same room, so "meetings" aren't really a thing here. We work cleanly and efficiently as a small team. All employees are encouraged to assist with design in all aspects (especially on Level Design Mondays!). We're also all NeoGAF members, and browse the site occasionally throughout the day. Just occasionally, mind you.

We're a chill group, and we get along extremely well with each other.

What We're Working On: There Came an Echo is highly narrative driven. The cast is AAA caliber, led by nerd icon Wil Wheaton playing the lead role of Corrin. You can check out our old Kickstarter pitch here, our vertical slice video here, and some recent cutscene stuff here. All very early, of course.

Compensation: We're indie, but we're not asking you to work for cookies and paper clips. We're offering reasonably competitive industry rates, especially if you've got some experience. THAT SAID, this is not a guaranteed position past September 2014 or so. We'd love to keep you on after the completion of the project, but it depends on how the game does financially.

Hardline Requirements

- Be really, really good at Unity
- Be a pretty cool person

These Are Really Really Good Things to Have

- 2+ years experience in the gaming industry, having shipped a final product
- Significant shader design experience
- Significant AI design experience
- Significant experience with 3-D animation and 3-D games in general

These Would Be Nice

- Bachelors Degree or Higher
- Experience with Mac and Linux development
- Experience with designing for VR (Oculus Rift)
- Experience with the Kinect/System.Speech libraries, or other form of voice recognition software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom