• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beril

Remember how I was asking for some translation help a few pages back? Turns out I also need brazilian portuguese for the american version, which I had completely missed somehow.

If anyone can help out, please PM me. It's just a few sentences that need translation.

I've just submitted the game to Lotcheck. Not really sure what to expect. Nintendo's guidelines seem pretty straight forward unless I've missed something vital. But still I have no idea how thoroughly they test it and how strict it is.

Meesh

Angry birds uses box2d for its physics, which is also integrated into cocos2d, a popular free 2D engine for iOS. You could have a go at using that if you wanted to make something angry birdsy. There are heaps of cocos2d tutorials out there, and the forum is also helpful too.

Thanks a bunch, I'll start with that :)

missile

0042_gzfp.gif

Hey razu, I was recently skimming through your webpage. Out of curiosity, why
did you left all these companies, i.e. Codemasters, Sega, and Sony? Was
Chopper Mike too grand of a vision for them such that you had to leave to tell
us about all the heli tales of Mike? Hope you get the little joke in here.

razu

0042_gzfp.gif

Hey razu, I was recently skimming through your webpage. Out of curiosity, why
did you left all these companies, i.e. Codemasters, Sega, and Sony? Was
Chopper Mike too grand of a vision for them such that you had to leave to tell
us about all the heli tales of Mike? Hope you get the little joke in here.

Codemasters: Left to work at LT Studios for a 'change of environment'...
LT Studios: Studio failed, made redundant...
Back to Codemasters, left to start Sega Racing Studio, 'great opportunity'...
Sega: Studio failed, made redundant...
Sony: Studio failed, made redundant...

After 3 studios falling from under me I decided to leave "permanent employment".

Started Jamie Lowes Development Services Ltd., and VAMflax Ltd. Still going, could be a record in the making...!!

missile

That's quite serve. However, there is nothing better than rolling your own
shit. Unfortunately, one of my favorite studios closed as well, i.e. STUDIO
Liverpool. Won't be the last WipEout...

cbox

Just finalized the look and feel of our player ship and weapons/gadgets.

Also did the enemies.

Man indie game dev is incredibly fun!

theShip1.png

JulianImp

Just finalized the look and feel of our player ship and weapons/gadgets.

Also did the enemies.

Man indie game dev is incredibly fun!

I like how streamlined the design is. The only thing that confused me for a while how the ship's font faced the opposite way I expected it to (I thought the top-left image was the ship facing left, but then saw the boost icon).

By the way, what does Jamhammer mean?

cbox

Looks cool already!! :D

Looks awesome. Reminds me of Eufloria.

I like how streamlined the design is. The only thing that confused me for a while how the ship's font faced the opposite way I expected it to (I thought the top-left image was the ship facing left, but then saw the boost icon).

By the way, what does Jamhammer mean?

thx guys!

Jamhammer is the name of our group

fin

Started prototyping a new project for the GITHUB Game Off. Gonna be a 2D puzzle platformer, and I hope its good! Either way it's so refreshing working on something new and due in a month so no big time commitment. I totally figured my mouse aim today. Also previewing the trajectory with a linerenderer.

Drawing the trajectory was simple:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trajectory_of_a_projectile
But getting it to stop if it hit something was a little tricky. Basically I shoot a ray from the previous vertex to the next vertex (notice the blue line at the last ball) and if the ray hits something it stops the line.

Sometimes the most simple things are the most fun. Here's a short video showing the results:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H8OPN_onKc

Also if you're using Unity OnDrawGizmos are your friend!

Now continue working or play Xcom? Decisions decisions...

I've been writing a gesture manager for a mobile game in Unity C#, with the backend handled by Futile. It's been pretty fun, though doing advanced gestures is going to be interesting, having more experience with C++ and more recently, PHP, will be an interesting thing. My current idea is to have a List of Gestures, which have a list of points chosen at n distance from the previous one. It's a new challenge for me.

Blizzard

Banned
Started prototyping a new project for the GITHUB Game Off. Gonna be a 2D puzzle platformer, and I hope its good! Either way it's so refreshing working on something new and due in a month so no big time commitment. I totally figured my mouse aim today. Also previewing the trajectory with a linerenderer.
Nice, looks cool. If I recall correctly, World of Goo started out as a simple gameplay concept made during a quick game jam.

Darn you for including the black bar at the bottom of the picture though. I was trying to highlight it thinking it was spoiler text. :p

razu

razu:
I guess you shouldn't worry too much about performance, since I think a browser version of the game would most likely run even better than the mobile versions.

EDIT: I've played the game, and it looks like it could be fun on a phone. My crappy keyboard kept jamming since I was pressing Up, Left and Space at the same time, however, but it was fun. Due to my keyboard, I often overshot the helicopter, and that's when the camera's proximity and angle sometimes made me bump into stuff I couldn't see until it was too late.

Yeah, gotta love keyboards. That's why I made any key from the bottom the power button too, to help with keyboard conflicts.

razu

I've been following your progress and it really is sort of an inspiration :)
Chopper Mike does look very nice. In this case, the art style perfectly matched your needs as a programmer without sacrificing the look and feel you were looking for. You deserve a lot of credit for that!
I started learning how to use Blender sometime last year, but gave up because of the increasingly short time I had available for it. However I may try to start again.
I also like to believe that art is something that is gene independent, but sometimes I'm not so sure. Either way, I do think it can be improved with work, so at the very least it may be possible to improve it enough to get started on your own.
Music doesn't bother me as much as art, because I think I can handle that myself. That and because for some reason I don't feel bad about using placeholder music as much as I do when using placeholder art :p

I hope you are right about that last comment. I will surely keep trying! Thanks for that and good luck to you too ;)

Totally missed this.

Thank you!

Keep going with Blender. It'll just click and you'll be off and away!

missile

Just finalized the look and feel of our player ship and weapons/gadgets. ... Also did the enemies. ...
Reminds me a bit of WipEout's HUD icons, esp. the boost and the icon
representing a mine. :+

... The only thing that confused me for a while how the ship's font faced the opposite way I expected it to (I thought the top-left image was the ship facing left, but then saw the boost icon). ...
If the ships goes supersonic, it would make sense with regard to the body of
the ship. At speeds above supersonic it is much more efficient to have a blunt
body - watch the Shuttle's main rocket booster - because the strong pressure
wave forming in front of the body (taking on a parabolic shape) can be kept at
a distance from the front of the body for a certain velocity range. On a body
with a sharp nose the pressure wave forms right at the spike and is already in
contact with the body (and very close in general) leading to a much earlier
breakdown of the wave due to the turbulent boundary layer that surrounds the
ship during high velocity flights, and in consequence puts a heavy load on it
and makes it rather unstable.
However, in this setup, the wings wouldn't match. They need to be of delta
type (isosceles triangle). But since we are talking about computer games, any
shape can fly! :)

razu

I like it. Like the music also! Maybe spice up the text somehow?

Spice up my beautiful text...!? How dare you!! ;p

Thanks though :D

I am going to animate it on and off, so it drops from the sky, then falls out the bottom of the screen.. Mike will fly on and off too.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sorry about the dumb question, but are there a guide or something similar with what to do and what to not do when composing a music? I don't want a guide on how to use a certain program or to learn the music, but i want to know if there are certain rules when composing a music.

Mmmm, now that i think about it, how do you compose your musics? I don't think that you are all musicians right?

JulianImp

Woah... thanks for the physics explanation! It's great knowing little tidbits of information like these to avoid invoking the "Did not do the research" trope in your games, so knowing it's been great to learn something new, which will probably be helpful someday (or not, but it's still good to know anyway).

Sorry about the dumb question, but are there a guide or something similar with what to do and what to not do when composing a music? I don't want a guide on how to use a certain program or to learn the music, but i want to know if there are certain rules when composing a music.

Mmmm, now that i think about it, how do you compose your musics? I don't think that you are all musicians right?

I'm an amateur composer with just a bit of musical knowledge, so I mostly stick to simple songs that don't require lots of instruments and/or arrangement, like NES-era chiptunes.

About five years ago, I started using MidiMaker (a very, very simple MIDI tracker) to try and compose stuff, but a few years later I switched over to DeamStation, which was more of a synthesizer/tracker. The guys who made it released the first version for free after they launched DreamStation2, so if you'd like to try it out, you can download it for free.

It's really hard to compose a song if you don't know some music theory, and hearing all kinds of music helps, too. However, it all comes down to whether you want to do this as a side hobby or develop it as your main skill. I chose the former, so most of the time I'm doing other stuff, and don't come up with new songs too often as a result.

The only thing I'd say I'm somewhat decent at regarding music is creating covers of songs I already know, which came in useful once when I covered a popular Argentine march for a politically-inspired game made by a friend of mine.

EDIT: Regarding my game, I've taken quite a few screenshots yesterday since I'll be needing them to submit it to the IGF tonight. I hope I'm able to add some polish in the scarce few hours I have left before the deadline, but at least the gameplay is already done.

As always, you can click on the thumbnails to load the full-sized images.

missile

@JulianImp: Don't know if ConvenientBox ever considered any research arguments
for their ship design. Research arguments! lol xD Good luck with your game!

AWAY WITH THE CUBES! GIMME teH fukkin COBRA!!!

NG_NihiloEngine_CobraMkIII.gif

YESSSSS!

razu

YESSSSS!

This is where a 'like' button is needed :D

qq more

I've been without internet yesterday due to the power outage but thanks to the generator I was still able to work on my game. And boy, did I work on it a lot! Lack of internet = less distractions :D

missilecart.png

I plan on to redesign the minecart and add an actual missile launcher in the front of it. As of now it looks a bit too silly.

(Also the Missile sign is dim because of the timing of the screenshot. The sign flickers to make it noticeable)

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Woah... thanks for the physics explanation! It's great knowing little tidbits of information like these to avoid invoking the "Did not do the research" trope in your games, so knowing it's been great to learn something new, which will probably be helpful someday (or not, but it's still good to know anyway).

I'm an amateur composer with just a bit of musical knowledge, so I mostly stick to simple songs that don't require lots of instruments and/or arrangement, like NES-era chiptunes.

About five years ago, I started using MidiMaker (a very, very simple MIDI tracker) to try and compose stuff, but a few years later I switched over to DeamStation, which was more of a synthesizer/tracker. The guys who made it released the first version for free after they launched DreamStation2, so if you'd like to try it out, you can download it for free.

It's really hard to compose a song if you don't know some music theory, and hearing all kinds of music helps, too. However, it all comes down to whether you want to do this as a side hobby or develop it as your main skill. I chose the former, so most of the time I'm doing other stuff, and don't come up with new songs too often as a result.

The only thing I'd say I'm somewhat decent at regarding music is creating covers of songs I already know, which came in useful once when I covered a popular Argentine march for a politically-inspired game made by a friend of mine.

EDIT: Regarding my game, I've taken quite a few screenshots yesterday since I'll be needing them to submit it to the IGF tonight. I hope I'm able to add some polish in the scarce few hours I have left before the deadline, but at least the gameplay is already done.

As always, you can click on the thumbnails to load the full-sized images.

Thanks for sharing your experiece! :D
The game looks good!

Blizzard

Banned
I've been without internet yesterday due to the power outage but thanks to the generator I was still able to work on my game. And boy, did I work on it a lot! Lack of internet = less distractions :D

missilecart.png

I plan on to redesign the minecart and add an actual missile launcher in the front of it. As of now it looks a bit too silly.

(Also the Missile sign is dim because of the timing of the screenshot. The sign flickers to make it noticeable)
Nice sprites. That looks like something that would be right at home on a SNES or GBA. :)

qq more

YESSSSS!
That's really badass. I'm totally getting a SNES vibe from this.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
Kids vs Goblins has been nominated for a Dutch Game Award in the Best Music & Audio Design category!

Our latest game Castaway Paradise has music from the same composer.

Listen to the soundtrack from Kids vs Goblins here

57810-626-321.jpg

The award we can win :)

oktarb

I've been toying around with Unity (free version) while also taking some online gaming programming and dev classes. I'm pushing hard to build some base skills to start working on a indie game. Mostly i want to have some fun, evolve my skill set and test some game ideas I have.

If anyone out there wants to team up PM me and we can talk. I have a career job and a family so though I can throw hours at this project I understand time constraints people have.

clashfan

I have a question about the Unity free version. Can you deploy to Windows with the free version? The reason I ask that is because in the store you can add ios, android, flash but I don't see Windows.

oktarb

Its totally true. they just lock down some advanced "cool" features. You can still build a completely playable game though. Inside on 1 hour doing the tutorials (all free) you'll have a wooded island you can walk and jump around in.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Anyone have deep knowledge of Construct 2? I'm trying to learn by recreating Pac-Man, and there's a good tutorial for most of the game, but it doesn't work exactly like Pac-Man should. I'd like to find a way to have Pac-Man continue moving in whatever direction is pressed until a new key is pressed and he has the ability to turn.

cbox

Reminds me a bit of WipEout's HUD icons, esp. the boost and the icon
representing a mine. :+

oh wow, science!

Our game doesn't really take place in space or any other medium, it's all made up haha. I went through about 15 ship designs before landing on the one we have now, it feels great to fly around in and when you boost, the wings tuck in and it looks nuts.

edit: BONUS gif

A tad slow motion, full game runs at 60fps - still so much work to do.

q4mZy.gif

JulianImp

I... I think I made it!... I might have made a video that looks more like a one-image slideshow, but that's because the IGF forced me to upload one no matter what. They brought it upon themselves, I say!

Without further ado, here's the demo in web version (click on the logo to play)!

I intentionally left out some features and levels that are still under development, but I intend to update the game often, uploading everything on the same URL to make it easier to track.

Roquentin

Hello fellow devs (hmm, that sounds like the first line to a song)...

Gamasutra posted my postmortem last night, available here:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/180520/Postmortem_Humble_Hearts_Dust_An_Elysian_Tail.php
Great read, thanks for sharing. It's still quite amazing to me that you created this game mostly alone, coming to game development with little to no experience.

I hope the game did well financially. But whatever you're planning to do next, please don't sacrifice as much of your life (especially when it comes to family) as you did with Dust ;)

Feep

Banned
My and Dean's stories are eerily similar. = D

Edit: Holy shit, you had the many-file loading issue as well! I was loading in 1400+ voiceover files, and the 360 was taking an average of 93 seconds to boot the game. It has to do with how the 360's custom filesystem works...it has extreme difficulty retrieving a large number of small files.

I ended up using an open source content packing system called EasyPak by Nick Gravelyn (Microsoft's XNA guy, basically) that allowed me to compress everything into a single file...I simply loaded that, and decompressed it into the necessary stuff. Bam!

Noogy

Great read, thanks for sharing. It's still quite amazing to me that you created this game mostly alone, coming to game development with little to no experience.

I hope the game did well financially. But whatever you're planning to do next, please don't sacrifice as much of your life (especially when it comes to family) as you did with Dust ;)

Thanks :) I sort of miss the old indie thread, something about 'who has released a game and made a profit from it.' I've done the former, I haven't done the latter (yet), but I think I can continue game development, which is all I ask.

Yep, both born in a little rundown shack known as XNA. May she be remembered fondly.

missile

@razu: A 'rike' button would be very welcome here, indeed. Thx.

@qq more: Glad you like it.
The engine in its current state can do a lot more, I simply just don't have
any time to design any assets, yet. And if, I will do it procedurally. But I'm
interested to co-op with someone who has a fable / skill in designing very low
polygon models that look awesome. Someone who can model things with just three
to five polygons and a few lines. I consider this as an art in itself. Within
this regard, the Cobra Mk III would already be too complex. Btw; Is there a
community where low-polygon craftsmens meet?

missilecart.png

I plan on to redesign the minecart and add an actual missile launcher in the front of it. As of now it looks a bit too silly. ...
As of now it looks way funny! That little guy sitting in a minecart. xD

razu

Edit: Holy shit, you had the many-file loading issue as well! I was loading in 1400+ voiceover files, and the 360 was taking an average of 93 seconds to boot the game. It has to do with how the 360's custom filesystem works...it has extreme difficulty retrieving a large number of small files.

I ended up using an open source content packing system called EasyPak by Nick Gravelyn (Microsoft's XNA guy, basically) that allowed me to compress everything into a single file...I simply loaded that, and decompressed it into the necessary stuff. Bam!

It's not a 360 specific issue. There's normally an overhead associated with opening files, so usually best to pack them into one file and read them all in at once.

Ranger X

Remember how I was asking for some translation help a few pages back? Turns out I also need brazilian portuguese for the american version, which I had completely missed somehow.

If anyone can help out, please PM me. It's just a few sentences that need translation.

I've just submitted the game to Lotcheck. Not really sure what to expect. Nintendo's guidelines seem pretty straight forward unless I've missed something vital. But still I have no idea how thoroughly they test it and how strict it is.

I've been a certification specialist for almost 3 years and I must say that in my experience, it's Nintendo that are the hardest. They will test your game alot (at least on what they are concerned) and they are the style of bringing up some very tiny imperfect details. Sometimes they are downright evil. lol

clashfan

Nick's done alot of great stuff for the XNA community. I don't think he's at MS anymore. :-(

Genji

@missile, @qq more, @ConvenientBox, @JulianImp: Great looking stuff guys!

Hello fellow devs (hmm, that sounds like the first line to a song)...

Gamasutra posted my postmortem last night, available here:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/180520/Postmortem_Humble_Hearts_Dust_An_Elysian_Tail.php

Here's a sample of production art:

Thanks for taking the time to write up this postmortem, glad to see it was all worth it in the end. Very inspiring and motivating.

Nick's done alot of great stuff for the XNA community. I don't think he's at MS anymore. :-(

Nick was definitely a huge asset to the XNA community, I remember browsing his tutorials on 2D tile engines a few years back. I've seen him pop up in the Unity forums every now and then so he's at least still involved with game development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom