• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfster

Unity fixedjoints are a nightmare.
Even after destroying them, they still act on the objects that were linked...
Edit: This is rage-inducing... And of course, as usual, there's fuck-all documentation.

Went back to just parenting the object to the player and adjusting its velocity by the position difference to keep collisions. I want those hours back, Unity.

bsp

The lighting reminds me a lot of Notch's canceled 0x10c project. You should take over the fan project that is or was trying to make the game! :p

Yeah, Jonatan Pöljö's work (the artist on 0x10c) was the initial reminder that simple patterns with some nice lighting can realllllly set a good space atmosphere.

If I had time I would totally get involved with Trillek, but as it stands I can't be working on two games. They seem to be making pretty decent progress though (IIRC) despite fluctuating ranks.

Alright. We've finally launched our Kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1460250988/darkest-dungeon-by-red-hook-studios

Fingers crossed.

Wow, damn good start! Looks like you're set. :) The game looks pretty awesome too, great work.

I wish poor Olympia Rising was having as easy a time. Just a quick final plug for it here: there are 4 days left on their Kickstarter and it will be quite hard to make it. It's made by GAFfer Pasta_Soup; check it out and support IndieGAF, guys.

-Winnie-

Hey guys!

My friends and I recently participated in the Global Game Jam, and we made SCREENCHEAT, a 2-4 player splitscreen arena FPS. The twist is that everyone is invisible, so you'll have to screen cheat and look for visual landmarks on each player's screens to find where they are!

It's made for multiplayer and requires controllers to play, so if you have the equipment for it, we'd love it if you had a play and gave us some feedback! We hope to continue work on it, so all feedback is appreciated. :)

jBPbmbL1RLMJN.jpg

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NnbWO9FaW4

Download link: http://gamejolt.com/games/shooter/screencheat/22428/

belushy

Banned
Any of you guys & gals have any experience with the GALE pixel art program? I'm just wondering if there is a better way to export the sprites. I make a sprite, but when I upload the picture, it is usually really bad quality and slightly miscolored. I usually export it as JPEG, so just wondering if that could be the problem. Also if there is a better pixel art program out there, please share haha

HelloMeow

Hey guys!

My friends and I recently participated in the Global Game Jam, and we made SCREENCHEAT, a 2-4 player splitscreen arena FPS. The twist is that everyone is invisible, so you'll have to screen cheat and look for visual landmarks on each player's screens to find where they are!

That's amazing. I wish something like this was around for the N64 back in the day.

Jack_AG

Banned
So where do you guys get the sound effects for your games from? I've tried a dozen "free sound" websites like freesound.org, but most of these sounds are quite aweful, with background noise etc. For example I just can't find a proper ball rolling sound - nothing sounds anywhere near to what I'm expecting and most of them are 2 secs long. Players surely would be happy to hear those 2 secs in a loop for multiple hours. Same goes with projectile turrets that shoot 3 projectiles per second and sometimes there are 10 of them in a room. Would I need to change the pitch randomly with Unity for variety? Maybe I should be looking for a sound designer (which is something I wanted to avoid as it is simply a rather small personal project)... any advice?

Depends on your game, TBH. I haven't seen what you are working on so I can't point you in a proper direction to match the audio to the visual queue's. You could also do some foley work yourself on the cheap if you need organic sounds.

On a budget this is pretty damn sweet:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...hnica_AT2020_AT2020_Condenser_Microphone.html

With an 80hz cutoff you can even use it to mic a kick drum :DDDDD

You can do a lot with a program like Audacity, for free, but I'd advise investing in something more robust with real-time editing like Ableton or for a more "complete" entry level package nab Reason.

If you are working on a Mac and need to just "clean" audio without a robust setup you can hit up: http://www.soundness-llc.com/soundsoap3.html formerly of Bias, INC. I've used this a few times with pretty good success (I still prefer to leave all of my cleaning to DAWs, tho).

But if you feel like you can make a dive into some foley on your own - grab the AT2020, it's a stellar entry-level mic, get a USB audio interface (you can get a USB mic if you never plan to use more than one at a time in a DAW) since you can hook multiples up if you decide to roll with more later on (sometimes you want to capture room noise at the same time as the original source to get a good noise floor rolling for cleaning).

Hit me up in a PM if you have more questions.

OldRoutes

Hey guys!

It's made for multiplayer and requires controllers to play, so if you have the equipment for it, we'd love it if you had a play and gave us some feedback! We hope to continue work on it, so all feedback is appreciated. :)

Hahaha, great great idea! :)

Hey guys!

I haven't actually played yet, but that is a hilarious and awesome idea!

Hmm... I just did some pathfinding voodoo. I throttle the number of evaluations based on the number of entities actively updating their pathfinding. Was having some threading and async issues, but my solution works just as well. Noticeable pauses when an entity's final destination is on the complete opposite side of a complex 200x200 tile map, but only pauses in their decision-making and not anything else, which I could hide by having the entities occupy that time with some sort of placeholder behavior like investigating nearby objects of interest or whatever. I might manually add landmarks to maps to assist with long pathfinding routines if this becomes an actual problem, but I don't foresee needing super-snappy pathfinding.

Five

Banned
So, for people who like to give pointers, I need some advice. I'm trying to do a minimalist HUD that shows as little as possible. But I've come to decide that one of the things that absolutely has to be shown in the HUD is the stamina level. For the purpose of discussion, just envision something like the stamina in Dark Souls and similar games where it depletes on things like attacking and blocking, and recharges when you're idle.

But stamina bars are old hat, so I was wondering if there was a different solution I could use. I'm not against stamina bars per se, but I thought why not be inventive here since I have to have it in the game. So my current idea is a sort of icon that beats (so either a heart or lungs) and goes faster when the stamina is lower until the player is stunned and forced to rest. Maybe it has a number on it to add specificity, maybe it also fills up.

This is a quick concept sketch I just made:
staminaIconSampler.png

and this is a badly-recorded GIF that's playing too fast but still gives a general idea of what that game looks like:
fightingDemo1.gif

Any thoughts on what you would do? Is either a heart or lungs better at representing stamina? Should I just stick to a normal stamina bar? If this is too unconventional, it's probably not worth the confusion it will generate.

(also, for those wondering, the reason she has a teeny tiny blade in her hand and an enormous one on her back is that I'm working on the combat mechanics right now, so this is just showing the two extremes for the sword-type weapon. and yes, I'm using balloons as stand-in enemies)

So, for people who like to give pointers, I need some advice. I'm trying to do a minimalist HUD that shows as little as possible. But I've come to decide that one of the things that absolutely has to be shown in the HUD is the stamina level. For the purpose of discussion, just envision something like the stamina in Dark Souls and similar games where it depletes on things like attacking and blocking, and recharges when you're idle.

But stamina bars are old hat, so I was wondering if there was a different solution I could use. I'm not against stamina bars per se, but I thought why not be inventive here since I have to have it in the game. So my current idea is a sort of icon that beats (so either a heart or lungs) and goes faster when the stamina is lower until the player is stunned and forced to rest. Maybe it has a number on it to add specificity, maybe it also fills up.

This is a quick concept sketch I just made:
staminaIconSampler.png

and this is a badly-recorded GIF that's playing too fast but still gives a general idea of what that game looks like:

Any thoughts on what you would do? Is either a heart or lungs better at representing stamina? Should I just stick to a normal stamina bar? If this is too unconventional, it's probably not worth the confusion it will generate.

(also, for those wondering, the reason she has a teeny tiny blade in her hand and an enormous one on her back is that I'm working on the combat mechanics right now, so this is just showing the two extremes for the sword-type weapon. and yes, I'm using balloons as stand-in enemies)

Im more a fan of the heart partially because I know what it is without thinking.

Is this in Gamemaker? Nice stuff :)

Turfster

So my current idea is a sort of icon that beats (so either a heart or lungs) and goes faster when the stamina is lower until the player is stunned and forced to rest.

I like this. I'd go with maybe a full color gradient for the heart/lungs (whichever you decide on)

Five

Banned
Im more a fan of the heart partially because I know what it is without thinking.

Is this in Gamemaker? Nice stuff :)

Thanks! My main concern about the heart is having people think it represents HP. Every time I play Castlevania, I have to remind myself that the heart isn't representing HP. That said, there's not really HP in my game; it's more you have armor -> you have cracked or cut armor -> your armor falls off and you're just in your tunic -> dead.

Also, yeah, this is in GameMaker. :)

I like this. I'd go with maybe a full color gradient for the heart/lungs (whichever you decide on)

Okay, cool! I'm feeling quite good about the idea now.

razu

Are you sure you wanted to say that to me? ;)
I should have a youtube video of traversal by next screenshot saturday, tho.

Ha, yeah, cool. Looking forward to it :D

So yeah, I think this time around I'm going to abstract as little as possible, and then once it all works, worry about cleaning it up and consolidating code.

That actually sounds like a good approach to take. Thanks for the advice and suggestions. Hopefully the third time will be a charm! :)

I'd say once it all works, it's done! :D

The lighting reminds me a lot of Notch's canceled 0x10c project. You should take over the fan project that is or was trying to make the game! :p

Didn't realise that was cancelled, wondered why I hadn't heard anything for so long. Pity, looked rad!

Turfster

Ha, yeah, cool. Looking forward to it :D
Well, it won't be all that impressive.
Just the basic mechanics I'll have implemented by then...
what can be seen of them anyway, because as usual, I've done a ton of behind the scenes stuff in advance...

whitehawk

Banned
Hey guys!

This is brilliant! This is one of those ideas where you say "I can't believe this hasn't been done before!"

Where is the download link on that page though? Can't find it.

Nezzhil

Any of you guys & gals have any experience with the GALE pixel art program? I'm just wondering if there is a better way to export the sprites. I make a sprite, but when I upload the picture, it is usually really bad quality and slightly miscolored. I usually export it as JPEG, so just wondering if that could be the problem. Also if there is a better pixel art program out there, please share haha

Your problem is because of the JPEG format, never use it for game graphics, it messes up all with the compression. Use PNG, is very light, has transparency and don't mess up all your work.

My brother usually uses Graphic Gale and he is very happy with it. Remember to go to the preferences and config your sort keys to make easy your work (and use the layers!).

pixelpai

Neo Member
I have now reached a stage, where I am thinking about what to do next with the environment I created for my game (twitter). Currently I am using cocos2d but I want to migrate to something HTML5, so cocos2d-html may be the obvious choise here.

I am a licenced WiiU-developer and I know some of you are too. So, has somebody here tried to get cocos2d-html running on a WiiU? Do you have other suggestions (except Unity)?

missile

... Err. Thank you! ;D
The decision about transparency arose with hud stuff. A solid hud could potentially hide missiles, enemies, etc, but a little transparency helped a lot. ...

In one of your last posts you wrote;
... Furthermore I was doing a little consideration. In this game I'd like to recreate the feel of a PCEngine game, but the PCE has no transarency management (iirc). PCEngine games (iirc, again) emulated transparency alterning image/blank rapidly ... Instead, as an "artistic license" I'll use proper transparency since I find the result much, much better and I can use it for weapons and UI without causing anyone an epileptic seizure; please don't get mad at me! ^__^

Almost none of the older video hardware, based on color mapping, has any sort
of "transarency management". It won't make any sense to begin with. For,
wiping the color table would render any transparency relation useless.
Whenever you can set three different colors you can also have transparency
independent of whatever the video hardware is capable of. Even the C64 could
show transparent colors.

You know what? If you want to reproduce PCEngine graphics, or retro graphics
for that matter, you better skip 24-bit truecolor mode and all the fancy
blending equations and work out straight from a color table. This might sound
counterintuitive for the spoiled developer raised on a 24-bit color space. xD
Making a retro game with 24-bit coloring / 24-bit shading / 24-bit
transparency will never get the vibe from any of the older games. This is
mostly misunderstood by many devs while making retro games. It's not just only
about junky pixels, scanlines, or simple sprites. A major part is the color
table. Cutting out the table will cut out a very specific flavor of being
retro, i.e. the false coloring produced while creating many shades and false
transparency colors from the color table. It's not important that the shades
or transparency colors always match perfectly, it just needs to be consistent.
So given a color map, you compute a transparency lookup table that index the
color table. And voilà, you have transparency (epileptic seizure free! xD). On
its core basis you won't even need the blending equation, you can set the
index by hand, yet it can be used for finding the best possible index. Same
thing can be done for shades.

This picture already shows what I mean. The craft, the green bug, and the
stars have way too many shades already. It really doesn't fit from a retro
perspective, even while putting scanlines on it, it doesn't help. ;)

I know there are many people out there ready to ban color tables from the
planet for good. It was always sort of a hassle using them and working around
their limitations. However. This sort of limitation gave birth to a very
distinctive style, which, up to my point of view, can be put to good use for
modern video games esp. for those trying to mimicking all the retro antics.

-Winnie-

This is brilliant! This is one of those ideas where you say "I can't believe this hasn't been done before!"

Where is the download link on that page though? Can't find it.

Oh that's really strange, I can't see the download link either. Sorry about that! While we look into fixing that, we have an older version on the Global Game Jam site. :)

http://globalgamejam.org/2014/games/screencheat

[edit]
All fixed! Latest version is accessible here.
http://gamejolt.com/games/shooter/screencheat/22428/

belushy

Banned
Your problem is because of the JPEG format, never use it for game graphics, it messes up all with the compression. Use PNG, is very light, has transparency and don't mess up all your work.

My brother usually uses Graphic Gale and he is very happy with it. Remember to go to the preferences and config your sort keys to make easy your work (and use the layers!).

Thank you very much for the info! :)

bumpkin

Haha yea exactly, we use Scrum as well (Agile) so you're definitely familiar with that. I think it has helped put things into scope and perspective. You should look into upgrading and using SDL 2.0. I started with SDL 1.2 as well but 2.0 is better so I learned that. You can also install 2.0 on Xcode because I use a Mac also, and it was the same way you installed 1.2, just using the 2.0 frameworks. I ported my original game to Mac but I don't know how to release/package it yet.
Yeah, SDL 2.0 still wasn't ready/released when I last was working on the project. That goes to show how long it's been collecting dust. :) I'll definitely be downloading and installing 2.0 when I get started on this new iteration.

The release stuff is kind of weird on Mac. It wasn't until about a year or so ago that I came across an alternative way to set up the Xcode project which would produce a proper App package with icons and all that. Not to try and set you back in your work, but I actually found this tutorial yesterday for setting up an SDL 2.0 project. Using the "Cocoa Application" as your base project template does all the nicey-nice setup, icons, etc. that you need.

http://blog.davidecoppola.com/2013/08/22/how-to-set-up-a-sdl-2-project-for-os-x-in-xcode-4/

Yeah, SDL 2.0 still wasn't ready/released when I last was working on the project. That goes to show how long it's been collecting dust. :) I'll definitely be downloading and installing 2.0 when I get started on this new iteration.

The release stuff is kind of weird on Mac. It wasn't until about a year or so ago that I came across an alternative way to set up the Xcode project which would produce a proper App package with icons and all that. Not to try and set you back in your work, but I actually found this tutorial yesterday for setting up an SDL 2.0 project. Using the "Cocoa Application" as your base project template does all the nicey-nice setup, icons, etc. that you need.

http://blog.davidecoppola.com/2013/08/22/how-to-set-up-a-sdl-2-project-for-os-x-in-xcode-4/

Oh yea I know it's been in beta for quite some time but I'm glad it's officially out! Thanks, I definitely saved that as a pdf reference for the (hopefully) near future :)

AxiomVerge

Neo Member
Thanks! My main concern about the heart is having people think it represents HP. Every time I play Castlevania, I have to remind myself that the heart isn't representing HP.

That happens to me, too. But the lungs are difficult to read. Shadow of Colossus had that circle thing that was symbolic of nothing but eventually you figured it out. Maybe an arm flexing its bicep would work? Or maybe a little stick man flexing his muscles. You could have it fill up like a diablo health flask, or actually have the muscles be little cartoon arcs that go up at full stamina and droop down at low stamina.

Five

Banned
That happens to me, too. But the lungs are difficult to read. Shadow of Colossus had that circle thing that was symbolic of nothing but eventually you figured it out. Maybe an arm flexing its bicep would work? Or maybe a little stick man flexing his muscles. You could have it fill up like a diablo health flask, or actually have the muscles be little cartoon arcs that go up at full stamina and droop down at low stamina.

Yeah, I get you. I also think the traditional heart shape is more elegant than a silhouette of lungs. So with that in mind, as funny as the flexing muscles idea is, I think I'm going to have to pass.

My current plan, after sleeping on it and musing some more, is to do a heart that fills up with red and beats faster as stamina depletes. Maybe it beats larger too. Some quick research indicates an athlete's resting heart rate to be about 40 bpm, so that's probably the base rate I'll use. Then I'll have it max out around 180 bpm, meaning the heart will go from beating every ninety frames to every twenty frames. The only other thing that needs to go in the HUD is a money counter, so I'll probably put that in the center of the heart.

Thanks again for the help! :)

Makai

Over the past two weeks I slowly optimized a method that took 3 seconds down to 150ms. This was a big improvement but still too slow because it crashed the framerate. I had a major breakthrough yesterday thanks to advice from the Unity IRC channel and got it down to basically instant, so I'm locked at 60 again! This is one of my proudest moments as a programmer. :)

razu

Over the past two weeks I slowly optimized a method that took 3 seconds down to 150ms. This was a big improvement but still too slow because it crashed the framerate. I had a major breakthrough yesterday thanks to advice from the Unity IRC channel and got it down to basically instant, so I'm locked at 60 again! This is one of my proudest moments as a programmer. :)

SuperInternetHighFive™!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom