• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

RawNuts

It's an alleyway backdrop!

alley.jpg

Noogy

Generations now loads and plays on ouya consoles, just not at a very good frame rate or with a clean pixel image, yet. Visuals also have to drop to minimum :(

8CFM9R3.jpg

Seeing this makes me sad that I've had to wait so long to play your game. Please don't make me sad much longer.

I said I'd post a more complete screenshot when I had one, so here it is, an almost complete screenshot (ring still needs redoing, and the final game won't feature the Battle of the Clones) - but still, just wanna share the excitement!

Now to do the same for the life management segments !

Super digging the style!

Paz

Just finalizing plans to attend GDC, anybody else going? Someone guide me, I have no idea what to expect :p

In game development related news I've been working on our Endless Mode, pretty exciting actually, soon we'll have every enemy type in and we can actually populate it! Going to be a weird feeling when there are no new enemy types left to add, I think there are still 2 remaining right now.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
We were talking about the difference between hex systems vs the "triangle" system that was announced for Unsung Story (thread)

I came up with this while trying to show what the two systems have in common:
YQ11JWe.png

I think I've sold myself on this setup in the process. There are some very cool things you can do with these elements. I've been thinking about learning Unity for a while now. Think I might start working on something based on this setup combined with how Civ 5 draws its terrain in a clean way where possible.

Hmm... Hex-based Disgaea with Alpha Centauri's terrain modification. That could work. Let's see what happens.

Pehesse

as it looks like rainbow mika will never ever appear in another street fighter game, the mammoth task of making a great wrestling lady falls unto you, squire.

Gaspe!

Well, hopefully she'll have enough wrestling moves for your liking :)

Right now I've animated all of her basic moves BUT her wrestling grapples - need to animate the other characters a bit before that, since I'll have to trick construct2 to make it work (right now the player and opponent are different sprites of course, but to get superposition effects, I'll need to make the grapple scene into a single player sprite - that leads to funny scripting business, but it works so far - just, with no graphics to speak of yet :-D)

F-Pina

Freekey Fridays is giving away 5 keys with 4 games including our own!
The coolest part about this is that we got bundled with the nice folks at Double Fine with 2 games, Broken Age and Spacebase DF9! AWESOME!

Here is the full list of games
Broken Age from Double Fine (Steam, Windows, Linux, Mac), Spacebase DF-9 from Double Fine (Steam, Windows, Mac, Linux), Extrasolar from Lazy 8 Studios (Windows, Linux, Mac, iOS, Android), and Murder in the Hotel Lisbon from Nerd Monkeys (Desura, Windows, Mac, Linux)

Ashodin

There's something just magical when you understand the engine so much that you think of an idea, and you can implement it flawlessly. This doesn't happen all the time, however!

Turfster

Have you tried Blender? Completely free.

Blender's interface is quite nightmarish and daunting, though...
and this is from someone that perpetrates "programmer interfaces" with regularity.
I don't know if it's because as a programmer, I'm not used to the interfaces for these programs, but I find it extremely opaque and hard to remember.

Blizzard

Banned
Blender's interface is quite nightmarish and daunting, though...
and this is from someone that perpetrates "programmer interfaces" with regularity.
I don't know if it's because as a programmer, I'm not used to the interfaces for these programs, but I find it extremely opaque and hard to remember.
I tend to agree, but if you go through tutorials and use it regularly for a week or two, I think it can become pretty reasonable (and as I always mention the IRC channel is nice).

However, if you STOP using it for more than a couple of weeks, yes, it is easy to forget.

Turfster

However, if you STOP using it for more than a couple of weeks, yes, it is easy to forget.

Yeah my blendering happens in fits and bursts with months in between, and I spend at least an hour or two trying to remember how I did do that thing I did last time again.

I just found out that my little puzzle game I published on the Android marketplace last year has over 500 downloads. I know that's not a remarkable at all, but it really made me happy, especially since it's my first published game. Plus, searching for the game's name (which is made up of two common words) returns my game as the very first result. It's a far cry from when I first published it, worried about app visibility...

The most unfortunate thing that almost ruins it all is that I lost my keystore file in a bad hard drive crash a few months back, and now I can't update the game :( I'll need to create a new version side-by-side and worry about app visibility and my user base all over again...

But anyway, a question... Has anyone tried Anim8or or Wings 3D for 3D modeling? I know I could brave Blender and use it, but I am fairly new to modeling and I only want to experiment with simple 3D. Therefore, I believe starting with a non-feature filled application would be best for me.

I have actually dabbled a tiny bit in both Anim8or and Wings, but I am curious as to what others prefer.

Jobbs

Banned
Does anyone know much about the legalities of using fonts in games? Sometimes it's not easy to figure out. I have a font called "Nyala", for example, which I may be interested in using in a game. I looked up the font online and saw places where I could buy it but it's never quite clear what I'm entitled to do with it and whether I could make use of it in a video game. Often, if I can find a license agreement, it seems as though they don't want you to use the font you bought in a commercial product.

Any advice?

Does anyone know much about the legalities of using fonts in games? Sometimes it's not easy to figure out. I have a font called "Nyala", for example, which I may be interested in using in a game. I looked up the font online and saw places where I could buy it but it's never quite clear what I'm entitled to do with it and whether I could make use of it in a video game. Often, if I can find a license agreement, it seems as though they don't want you to use the font you bought in a commercial product.

Any advice?
Depends on thw license, I guess, but if you buy the font, it is clearly to, you kbiw, use it in a commercial way.

You could alqays take a look at Google's font repository, there might be a similar font that's actually free.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

Any advice?

Nyala is owned by Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/font.aspx?FMID=1623

I guess you would need the "for enterprises, web developers, for hardware & software redistribution or server installations" part.

http://www.ascendercorp.com/font/nyala/

you could also try looking through https://www.google.com/fonts

they're all open source so you can just do whatever you want

Seeing this makes me sad that I've had to wait so long to play your game. Please don't make me sad much longer.

Doing my best! I actually have less work hours getting in my way right now so it's speeding up.

To note the ouya version runs like shit, might just drop it for now and keep it for a tegra 4 and above device when it comes to android formats.

Google Fonts is great, and it has certainly gained a much bigger collection over the years.

When I find fonts, I usually check out a site like dafont, because they seem to have a larger collection of stylized fonts. You just need to pay attention to the license. (I believe commercial use is one of the search parameters, but I don't remember.) It's also best to verify it by going to the author's site and/or searching for the font name on Google, too.

Blizzard

Banned

Any advice?

Nyala is owned by Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/font.aspx?FMID=1623

I guess you would need the "for enterprises, web developers, for hardware & software redistribution or server installations" part.

http://www.ascendercorp.com/font/nyala/

you could also try looking through https://www.google.com/fonts

they're all open source so you can just do whatever you want

This is one of my personal pet peeves. When I last when scouring the internet for this, it seemed really difficult to find fonts that are properly sold or available, with the author's permission, and clear licenses for commercial purposes (or public domain or whatever). And then there's the question of whether if you use a font that's normally provided by Windows, is that ok? What if you make a big image or logo that uses a font provided by Windows or Photoshop or whatever? Do you have to license that too?

*cries*

I've been drawing like crazy in the past few days... still lot of work to do...

this may become part of the intro or box art...

JunkcraftIntroScreen.png

and drawing now the inside of the ships, crew members will move like RTS type

InsideShipConcept.png

Popstar

Any advice?
A normal commercial license for a font just gives you the right to create static images using it. So you could create a logo image and include that in your game. But any sort of dynamic text – like displaying a player's entered name – isn't covered. For that you need a license that allows embedding in an application.

When looking for fonts I usually start at Font Squirrel / Fontspring because they have clear licensing terms for the fonts. You can also email the foundry directly and ask. They'll often have app embedding licenses available even if they don't have them listed on their (or other) sites.

And now time for screenshot saturday.

Bf91RrtCQAAE2_o.jpg:large

charsace

A normal commercial license for a font just gives you the right to create static images using it. So you could create a logo image and include that in your game. But any sort of dynamic text – like displaying a player's entered name – isn't covered. For that you need a license that allows embedding in an application.

When looking for fonts I usually start at Font Squirrel / Fontspring because they have clear licensing terms for the fonts. You can also email the foundry directly and ask. They'll often have app embedding licenses available even if they don't have them listed on their (or other) sites.

And now time for screenshot saturday.

Bf91RrtCQAAE2_o.jpg:large

Love the art! Are you using Unity?

Ashodin

Yeah Fontsquirrel or dafonts have a clear outlined usage thing, so if you need any fonts, get it from there. the APEXICON title font I had to pay money for a commercial license, but it's worth it.

I must be stupid, but I can't find an actual download link to put anything from google fonts onto my system.

1) Click "Add to collection" on all the fonts you want to download
2) Click the arrow on the upper right of the screen
3) Click "Download the font families in your Collection as a .zip file"

It is a tad confusing, but yes.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I must be stupid, but I can't find an actual download link to put anything from google fonts onto my system.

They're normally used on the web so Google encourage you to just link front their site (for caching reasons and what not)

edit: ^ what Why would you do that? said

Popstar

Yeah Fontsquirrel or dafonts have a clear outlined usage thing, so if you need any fonts, get it from there. the APEXICON title font I had to pay money for a commercial license, but it's worth it.
I just took a look and MyFonts has clear* licensing now too.

If you think its confusing now Jobbs it was much worse a few years ago.

EDIT: *The App embedding license is kinda silly now that I look at it closer. Mobile only?

Amazing little game! Just played and the pacman ghost killed me! lol I really like the fat mechanic that makes you easier to hit when you are fat but also much more powerful, it makes you stay in your toes. Had some small problems with it, nothing too major. One is that thhe bosses' lifebar is nearly invisible with the color of the terrain and the other is that at first I thought that the bubbles of the bubble bobble boss where stage hazards.
Had a lot of fun! Good job.

hahah the pacman boss is a bitch. Yes, the bubbles are a bit confusing hehehe. And the bosses lifebar was the last thing to add, it was a bit rushed. Thanks for the comment, glad you like it! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom