• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limanima

I heard somewhere that this thread occasionally enjoys unreasonably large animated gifs.

darkdash.gif

Working a lot on some cosmetic type stuff in preparation for the new video. Here we see glowing things that glow.

This is getting better and better. Good job!

I heard somewhere that this thread occasionally enjoys unreasonably large animated gifs.

darkdash.gif

Working a lot on some cosmetic type stuff in preparation for the new video. Here we see glowing things that glow.
This game looks like it comes from an alternate universe where 3D games never took off and instead 2D is still king.

3phemeral

The subtle animation on this is absolutely incredible. Great job!

RawNuts

A quick camera pedestal move from the ground level to higher up where you can see the cityscape and mountains.

ilikebigbuttsandicannotlie.gif

Hoping to eventually have cloud layers and a transition to space if I feel adventurous enough; it won't be an accurate distance from the ground though or it would take way too long to reach, though I still plan to measure scoring by meters so I hope no one cares about the abusive use of artistic license.

_machine

A quick camera pedestal move from the ground level to higher up where you can see the cityscape and mountains.

Hoping to eventually have cloud layers and a transition to space if I feel adventurous enough; it won't be an accurate distance from the ground though or it would take way too long to reach, though I still plan to measure scoring by meters so I hope no one cares about the abusive use of artistic license.
Looks really, really nice. I have a friend how is trying to achieve similar lighting in unity for a school project game (arcade racing game with possibility of procedural level generation on the fly) and he would love some tips. For example how would you go setting up the materials for each object and what sort of settings do you have in unity.

Altima

Can I ask about what engine should I work on ? (my excuse for poor English)

I'm new to game making and never learn about programing(exclude "hello world").

I want to make a simple RPG game. (I think it is quite simple. Isn't it ?)

Here is the detail.

Player will see only symbol and path when in the dungeon and will be moved to battle scene when encounter a monster. I plan to use a lot of hand drawing picture in this dungeon map. (should be something like Grand knight history map but far less detail).

The Battle scene should be simple turn base RPG. Player will control 4 customizable characters and battle single to no more than six enemies. fight scene will be like FF1-6 with 2D characters and background. I also plan to use sprite and some particle in this scene.

I do not know if this is too hard for beginner or not. I have a friend(who might join my project) who experienced in RPG Maker but he said I should consider other engine.

Do not know if I aim too high for my first game ? Is there any suggestion ?

Thank you in advance.

(Well, I have read the first post but quite confuse to pick one of them)

Makai

Can I ask about what engine should I work on ? (my excuse for poor English)

I'm new to game making and never learn about programing(exclude "hello world").

I want to make a simple RPG game. (I think it is quite simple. Isn't it ?)

Here is the detail.

Player will see only symbol and path when in the dungeon and will be moved to battle scene when encounter a monster. I plan to use a lot of hand drawing picture in this dungeon map. (should be something like Grand knight history map but far less detail).

The Battle scene should be simple turn base RPG. Player will control 4 customizable characters and battle single to no more than six enemies. fight scene will be like FF1-6 with 2D characters and background. I also plan to use sprite and some particle in this scene.

I do not if this is too hard for beginner or not. I have a friend(who might join my project) who experienced in RPG Maker but he said I should consider other engine.

Do not know if I aim too high for my first game ? Is there any suggestion ?

Thank you in advance.

(Well, I have read the first post but quite confuse to pick one of them)
RPG Maker for sure.

Jobbs

Banned
Jobbs, nice work man that looks incredible.
This is getting better and better. Good job!
This game looks like it comes from an alternate universe where 3D games never took off and instead 2D is still king.
The subtle animation on this is absolutely incredible. Great job!

Thank you for your encouragement, guys, it helps. I feed on your words and become stronger, leaving lifeless husks in my wake.

image.php

Kamaki

Thank you for your encouragement, guys, it helps. I feed on your words and become stronger, leaving lifeless husks in my wake.
I won't quote the images again otherwise people are going to overdose but I'll become another lifeless husk just to let you know you're doing awesome work!

Construct2 again? In my opinion you're some kind of Construct 2 wizard.

JQ1IK9.gif

I finally released my latest game, KiloBite, a simple snake-like game in 3D. Pay what you want so jump in an give it a download, don't worry I'm not really looking to make money ;). Click here to go to the store page.

Excited because it's the first game I've made which feels complete to me, menus and options and highscores and stuff like that. Fun little project that has taken longer then it was meant to.

Now I get to work on a new game, what I think is going to be my first big one!

rottame

Today we should be able to finish the contract work (one medical app and a small advertising game on Facebook) that has been keeping us busy in the last 3 months. If you think working on your game during nights and weekends is hard, try to do that with contract stuff.
Anyway, it seems like it's done. Almost. After today, a week of vacation and then we'll get to work to finish Heads Will Roll, the motherfucker we started one year ago. The funny thing is that we did no promotion for it, and it's a paid puzzle game for iOS and Android. It's gonna sell three copies. Four if I convince my dad to buy it. But whatever. Shipping a game is good.

Bit-Bit

I'm finally going to commit myself to learning GML.

I've always hated coding but I've been doing some tutorials on GML and it seems to be much simpler than any I've used before.

Blizzard

Banned
That is so awesome-looking.

Kinda reminds me of Mirror's Edge without all the screen-tearing and VSync issues.
Huh? Mirror's Edge has no screen tearing at all if you use vsync (either ingame or D3DOverrider, I believe). Bear in mind you have to restart the game if you enable or disable ingame vsync however.

Huh? Mirror's Edge has no screen tearing at all if you use vsync (either ingame or D3DOverrider, I believe). Bear in mind you have to restart the game if you enable or disable ingame vsync however.
The actual in-game setting never worked for me (with an NVidia card, even after restarting).

Forcing it through the NVidia Control Panel worked, though. I was just commenting on the panning, really. In Mirror's Edge any vertical panning caused screen-tearing without VSync overridden. (Might have had screen-tearing on the 360 version as well, but it's been a long time since I played that).

Also -- sorry for the slight off-topicness.

Five

Banned
Am I the only one who keeps track of stuff like bugs on Notepad? Maybe it helps that I don't have any partners yet.

Find a bug while running the game? Fix it right away or add it to the to-do list on Notepad. Think of a feature, or remember something that I want to do for the game? Add it somewhere on the list that makes sense, even if that's in the front, although it's probably at the back.

cbox

Am I the only one who keeps track of stuff like bugs on Notepad? Maybe it helps that I don't have any partners yet.

Find a bug while running the game? Fix it right away or add it to the to-do list on Notepad. Think of a feature, or remember something that I want to do for the game? Add it somewhere on the list that makes sense, even if that's in the front, although it's probably at the back.

We used to, but trello makes it look purdy, plus you can go in and see all the work you've done. feelsgood.

beril

I do it on paper because crossing something off physically with a pen is much more fulfilling

I do it on paper because crossing something off physically with a pen is much more fulfilling

This is what I've done in the past, although instead of crossing things off I put a big fat checkmark next to the item.

The upward stroke of the checkmark was always done with a flourish that felt extremely rewarding -- not to mention that having a notebook full of completed fixes/changes is kind of awesome.

bumpkin

darkdash.gif

Looks freakin' awesome, man!

Is the size of the GIF representative of the game's resolution? What resolution are you shooting for? I've been stuck trying to decide what the right size to shoot for is with my game; right now the window is 800x600, but I'd go bigger if it made sense.

Five

Banned
We used to, but trello makes it look purdy, plus you can go in and see all the work you've done. feelsgood.

Yeah, I've contemplated keeping a separate list of accomplishments, so I can have a triumphant "this is what I've gotten done today/this weekend," but I'm generally pumped enough about how the game is turning out that I don't need further encouragement. Maybe some day when I get really stuck on something and I'm in despair, haha.

Is the size of the GIF representative of the game's resolution? What resolution are you shooting for? I've been stuck trying to decide what the right size to shoot for is with my game; right now the window is 800x600, but I'd go bigger if it made sense.

No, he's doing full HD (1920x1080) as am I. If it's not a pixel-art style, and it's not web or mobile, I think full HD should be a requirement.

Noogy

You going to be doing anything else, Noogy?

Oh yeah, I'm super excited to start my next thing, something I've been brewing in my mind for years. I'm just taking a little break... post-launch support and PR took a lot out of me, on top of development. Even now I'm knee-deep in Humble Bundle stuff. I probably won't have anything worth sharing until 2015.

EDarkness

Oh yeah, I'm super excited to start my next thing, something I've been brewing in my mind for years. I'm just taking a little break... post-launch support and PR took a lot out of me, on top of development. Even now I'm knee-deep in Humble Bundle stuff. I probably won't have anything worth sharing until 2015.

Good to hear. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next. :)

Phandy

Is Dust allowing you to stay afloat and work on your next project freely? That's pretty great if you got enough out of it to start funding something else.

Turfster

I have a quick scratchpad txt file that's constantly open in Visual Studio, and we turned one wall of a common room into a giant whiteboard, full of things to implement and fix. As stated before, it's incredibly satisfying to cross things off manually.

ZehDon

Oh thank God, I thought I was alone and living in the Dark Ages. I consolidated everything into a single numbered list, and I just shift things from the "To Do" area to the "Completed" area. The ctrl+x and ctrl+v feels satisfying enough :)

Jobbs

Banned

I write stuff in notepad windows all the time... I'm colossally unorganized. :D

I also use google docs, but at my laziest, yeah, it's notepad scratch all over.

Thanks. :) The materials I've put out so far have been 720p, but the plan is for the game to be released in 1080, and indeed I've drawn the art assets for that size.

If you're trying to decide the resolution for your game, it really depends what you want to do. For full blown games meant to be played full screen, I think 1080p native is certainly nice, but keep in mind that many games come out in lower resolutions than this (like the recent Valdis Story) and it doesn't really hurt the experience, and depending on what your setup is, making the game a bit lower res can certainly be easier.

bumpkin

No, he's doing full HD (1920x1080) as am I. If it's not a pixel-art style, and it's not web or mobile, I think full HD should be a requirement.
Thanks. :) The materials I've put out so far have been 720p, but the plan is for the game to be released in 1080, and indeed I've drawn the art assets for that size.

If you're trying to decide the resolution for your game, it really depends what you want to do. For full blown games meant to be played full screen, I think 1080p native is certainly nice, but keep in mind that many games come out in lower resolutions than this (like the recent Valdis Story) and it doesn't really hurt the experience, and depending on what your setup is, making the game a bit lower res can certainly be easier.
Ah, nice! Yeah, I suppose it kind of makes sense to go big or go home. I guess we are at that point where people expect games to hit 1080p if it all possible.

Something I'm still messing around with is tile size dimensions. My plan is for the game to have backgrounds which are tiled-based, and I've been having trouble deciding on what a good, appropriate size is to shoot for. With my window at 800x600, I've currently got 32x32 tiles in play. If I were to bump things up to 1080p, I'm thinking a leap to 64x64 or 96x96 might be a good idea. It's kind of that question of which is more expensive; drawing more smaller tiles or drawing fewer larger ones.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Bollocks

Low poly 3D PS1 games with up to date post processing effects/shaders?
yay or nay?
I want to try this for my game but I wonder if there are any examples of it.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Low poly 3D PS1 games with up to date post processing effects/shaders?
yay or nay?
I want to try this for my game but I wonder if there are any examples of it.

Yay, as long as:
- no texture filtering
- very low res textures that look like pixel art

razu

Yeah, post-it notes for me. You can draw diagrams on them really easily compared to a digital solution. They become mini designs, which is cool. Then you take them down when you've finished the task. Which is the satisfying part :D

I've kept a few from Chopper. Will be great to look back on them in the future. :D

Jobbs

Banned
Jobbs did wonders with Stencyl.. but I think he quickly outgrew it

I outgrew the flash game I was working on, and at the time, Stencyl's windows stand alone exports didn't work well. These days the windows export is becoming pretty viable. I think the turning point was when they restructured the platform away from NME and into Open FL (which I believe are Haxe libraries, I am not super technical so someone else may be able to explain it better). Ever since then, Windows export has been pretty strong. I did a test last night where I had to spawn 5,000 actors (objects) before the framerate started to buckle. While logic building is extremely intuitive and fast in Stencyl, I think the application gets in the way of itself in a few ways (it's undeveloped in some basic QOL areas, like being able to import and manage large amounts of assets in the app itself) but the exports it's putting out are showing a lot of promise.

I still participate in the community. I think they're attempting to make a play at becoming a more relevant and serious game development platform and I could easily see making a game using Stencyl in the future. I would recommend Stencyl to anyone who is more visually focused (like myself) and wants to program with a visual interface.

Noogy

Is Dust allowing you to stay afloat and work on your next project freely? That's pretty great if you got enough out of it to start funding something else.

I can safely say that Dust:AET has surpassed my expectations financially. When I started this in 2009 I figured it'd be a fun side hobby, I had no intention of actually making a profit. Thankfully I'll be able to fund future development myself.

It doesn't hurt that I don't need to spend huge amounts of money. I funded Dust myself, with hardly any savings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom