• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

omg_mjd

Could anyone by chance help me find some flash as3 tutorials?

I'm trying to make a game that is a driving side-scrolling platformer with a boost mechanic. I'm a total noob to flash.

This is my concept
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22136349/RooftopRampage.swf

Check out Flixel and FlashPunk. They're free 2D game libraries that make use of Flash/AS3 and do a lot of the heavy lifting for you so you can get a game up and running faster. You don't even need Flash Professional; just download the Flex SDK (for free) from Adobe and use a free IDE like FlashDevelop instead. There's tutorials and examples on the websites I linked.

Flixel was used for Canabalt, btw.

Jack_AG

Banned
So... Any Unity folk know how to change the color of the SpriteRenderer in C#

It uses HSVA 0-255 which is fine but SpriteRenderer only takes 0-1f in script. I either need to convert the SpriteRenderer color to HSVA or make a new Sprite shader to use instead of Unity's standard shader. Not sure what is the best way. I can write a new shader if need be but I'd rather just convert, if possible. Color32 is also out of the question.

Im laughing since something so simple is evading me right after I got done with my custom AI pathfinding system. FML. Its always the little things.

MXRider

Check out Flixel and FlashPunk. They're free 2D game libraries that make use of Flash/AS3 and do a lot of the heavy lifting for you so you can get a game up and running faster. You don't even need Flash Professional; just download the Flex SDK (for free) from Adobe and use a free IDE like FlashDevelop instead. There's tutorials and examples on the websites I linked.

Flixel was used for Canabalt, btw.

Thanks I'll check those out, I have till Thursday to make a prototype for my class.

Yay for being in a group of 3 with 2 useless group members.

ZehDon

X4CWYDL.gif
This is fantastic. The feeling of movement is really nice. What kind of game are you making?

Genji

PAX Dev tickets are on sale:

http://dev.paxsite.com/

If you purchase a pass, it gives you an option to buy a 4 day PAX Prime pass, which is great for anyone planning to go for both considering how fast those 4 day passes usually sell out!

_machine

Long time no screenshot. It's Saint Patrick's Week on Castaway Paradise. GREEEEN
Heh, digging it :)

How are you guys doing at the moment? I saw someone from Stolen Couch (was it you?) at CCEU14 and enjoyed the talk he had with other Dutch devs about the whole business side and investors. I also enjoyed playing the game, albeit briefly, and it's actually something I'm looking forward to seeing on Steam or on Android (I've only got a loaner iPad for development purposes so I don't want tie my saves to it so I haven't even gotten the game yet). It'd be great to hear how the game's doing financially because of the investments you've gotten and how friggin much potential it has.

missile

... That's what I thought... ;D

I love that what you're doing is totally unique. When it actually turns up, it'll be worth the wait!! :D
Hopefully! xD However, doing all this stuff makes all of the difference! :D

Btw; Here is the crappy RGB image I was referring to. It just serves as a
reference for the PAL one am going to post later today. :+

hL3uU7U.png

RGB, 8 colors, random dither, non-square pixels

Well, I've been trying to create a placeholder animation thing for human characters in Spriter, using the existing platformer essentials animations as a base and drawing the parts in Inkscape to create this featureless 'green man' with more realistic proportions compared to the platformer parts (once again using said parts as a base, while redrawing them to conform to the new proportions) - I'd use the default parts, but I'm not terribly fond of their proportions, even the smaller head isn't small enough. The end result ended up breaking the existing animations, so I might as well start from scratch. Oh, and the character I made has a proper animated neck, too. The idea was sorta to create a 'Tron' like character with minimal features.

And then I tried to animate the parts. The idle animation seemed to work reasonably well. The walk animation... Eh...

Idle.gif
Walk.gif

Ya see, this is why I'd much prefer having a proper animation person to work with, haha. Even the parts don't look terribly good!

Skinpop

Well, I've been trying to create a placeholder animation thing for human characters in Spriter, using the existing platformer essentials animations as a base and drawing the parts in Inkscape to create this featureless 'green man' with more realistic proportions compared to the platformer parts (once again using said parts as a base, while redrawing them to conform to the new proportions) - I'd use the default parts, but I'm not terribly fond of their proportions, even the smaller head isn't small enough. The end result ended up breaking the existing animations, so I might as well start from scratch. Oh, and the character I made has a proper animated neck, too. The idea was sorta to create a 'Tron' like character with minimal features.

And then I tried to animate the parts. The idle animation seemed to work reasonably well. The walk animation... Eh...

Idle.gif
Walk.gif

Ya see, this is why I'd much prefer having a proper animation person to work with, haha. Even the parts don't look terribly good!

the head/body needs to bob up and down. there are great templates/tutorials for walk cycles if you google a lil bit.
WalkCycle_Side.jpg

the head/body needs to bob up and down. there are great templates/tutorials for walk cycles if you google a lil bit.
WalkCycle_Side.jpg
Yeah, I had a feeling that was the problem, wasn't quite sure how to pull it off without messing up the walk cycle, but... Somehow, I actually managed to pull it off.

Walk2.gif

Probably not remotely perfect, but it looks so much better. The pic you showed was a great example, it really helped a lot, thanks.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah, I had a feeling that was the problem, wasn't quite sure how to pull it off without messing up the walk cycle, but... Somehow, I actually managed to pull it off.

Walk2.gif

Probably not remotely perfect, but it looks so much better. The pic you showed was a great example, it really helped a lot, thanks.
Yep, I was going to say body motion but someone beat me to it.

Some sort of body motion can even give even something simple character. I made a really bad robot animation a while back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huYC1cQghNk

Five

Banned
I drew a bunch of traps and obstacles the last couple days. I'm going to try to get as many of them plugged in this weekend as I can, but I'll be happy if I only get a third done realistically.

FetidDreadshawTrapSampler.png

Skinpop

Candescence - looks much better already. When I animate I usually start with the body/head motion then pose the legs. I only do 3d stuff though, animating is hard but fun/rewarding.

razu

Super Something Squad has... rope!! :D It even wraps round things! :D

I used the Ultimate Rope Editor after realising it would take me forever to get this working myself. It is all done with Unity though, (just not by me). That said, getting URE to work with my situation took some number guessing! :D

fh5NzVy.png

ss3uI91.png

missile

Edit: The RGB picture for comparison.

hL3uU7U.png

---

aEF2aDZ.png

Here is my first attempt for a CRT TV displaying a PAL video signal. The very
first version here basically implements the core PAL signal modulation/
demodulation process via two dual-sideband-suppressed-carriers, arranged in
quadrature as the engineers would say, with some special luma and chroma
filtering applied to the Y'uv color signal.

It's just a start, many things need to be done. For example, currently there
is no phase alternation (PAL :<=> Phase Alternate Line). Hence, the PAL signal
here is 'perfectly' demodulated, i.e. a perfect local oscillator with no phase
drift whatsoever is at the works, which wasn't the case back then in many of
the old TVs. I will address this point while implementing NTSC which basically
requires me to not display the same color twice on each scanline. xD Yeah, a
classic one. ;) Many common oscillators do produce phase errors leading to
slight color drifts on a scanline. Hence, a picture on an old NTSC TV shows
some graded color shading and there isn't much help of the system to counter
act it. Even the so-called Color Burst (sync pulse, or pilot tone (stereo
radio)) wasn't enough. For example, the right side of such an TV may slightly
be covered in a red tint (depending on the oscillator drift). But you know
what? PAL essentially has the same issue! So you can counter act the argument
now. ;) Since for one scanline the u (Y'uv, uv croma information of the signal)
oscillator phase is 90 degrees ahead of v. Yet for the next scanline the
situation is reversed and u trails 90 degrees behind and so on. However, this
doesn't make the problem go away all of a sudden but it ensures that any
oscillator drift has an opposite effect on alternating scanlines. So where is
the trick? Well, you won't see the color drift while sitting on the other side
of the room! Your eyes basically blend the phase error away (within certain
limits, of course). That was the trick with PAL in yielding better color. But
the NTSC guys had a striking advantage; 60Hz (30fps even/odd, instead of 50Hz
PAL with 25fps even/odd) which made a difference in some games (fast games,
racing games). Anyhow, one can build a 60Hz PAL signal as well by lowering the
scanlines, which could be done by the PS2 (EU) for example.

Yet there is much more to do and I could write odds and ends about it, but I'm
not sure whether many here are interested in technical stuff even if they can
understand all of what's written. Anyhow, everything here will result in some
pictures, luckily. ;)

Btw; There is also a ringing effect implemented you won't recognize from the
still image shown.

Many cool things to come!

Blizzard

Banned
I changed some buttons around. Most of the other work I have been doing has been supporting functionality, but now I have the basics in place so that you can switch between menus and change game states. I have a couple more major things that I should probably do now, like allowing fonts colors besides black and changing the engine to use shaders instead of ancient OpenGL texture rendering.

Then MAYBE actual game work. :p

Noogy

Walk2.gif

Buy this. Thank me later:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/086547897X/?tag=neogaf0e-20

In fact, if you want something a little more elementary:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1560100842/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Buy both. They are always at the top of my recommended books for animation.

belushy

Banned
Not sure how many of you are interested in this, but this program called MakeHuman released its 1.0.0 version. Free and open source character generator program.

edit: Actually, not sure if it is a "generator" program. Downloading now so I guess I'll edit once I know exactly what it is haha

Link

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
New to game development so I'm hoping some of you wouldn't mind helping a noob out. Been researching how to make my game environment a giant cube and everything take place inside of it. I've created the background for each side that would be represented inside the cube and I just need a way to be able to stick them together in the correct configuration somehow and have gameplay occur inside. This is my first 3d game so I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with the differences. I first came up with the idea when I drastically misunderstood cube mapping but by then I really liked it. I'm assuming with this being such a simple idea that it's nothing new but I'm just not seeing how to do it. The game engine I'm working with at the moment is panda3d because python is the language I'm most comfortable with at the moment. I know most people seem to advocate unity nowadays but my c# just isn't up to snuff yet.

So is this possible? How so? Can I just hop into blender and make a really giant empty cube and then add my background pictures as textures inside the cube somehow? Complete 3d modeling noob so I know that's not helping things.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Not sure how many of you are interested in this, but this program called MakeHuman released its 1.0.0 version. Free and open source character generator program.

edit: Actually, not sure if it is a "generator" program. Downloading now so I guess I'll edit once I know exactly what it is haha

Link

It's a program that makes creating human figures SOOOOOOO much faster and easier.

Makai

New to game development so I'm hoping some of you wouldn't mind helping a noob out. Been researching how to make my game environment a giant cube and everything take place inside of it. I've created the background for each side that would be represented inside the cube and I just need a way to be able to stick them together in the correct configuration somehow and have gameplay occur inside. This is my first 3d game so I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with the differences. I first came up with the idea when I drastically misunderstood cube mapping but by then I really liked it. I'm assuming with this being such a simple idea that it's nothing new but I'm just not seeing how to do it. The game engine I'm working with at the moment is panda3d because python is the language I'm most comfortable with at the moment. I know most people seem to advocate unity nowadays but my c# just isn't up to snuff yet.

So is this possible? How so? Can I just hop into blender and make a really giant empty cube and then add my background pictures as textures inside the cube somehow? Complete 3d modeling noob so I know that's not helping things.
Yes. This is known as a Skybox. In Unity you can just provide the 6 textures and it'll wrap them around the camera for you.

I don't know Panda3D but what you are trying to do will definitely be possible in that too.

razu

Ropes are actually pretty cool. They are hard to control, esp. the end of
the rope is rather difficult to control from the other one. So it is a nice
element for a game, for sure! :+

Yeah, it's a handful.

I'm not concerned too much about it being the best rope ever. And, if it does some weird things.. Well, that's part of the charm :D

The weight at the end of the rope doesn't directly affect the chopper. The attach point of the rope to the chopper just tracks the chopper. I'll add an artificial force when he picks things up. Trying to manage a swinging weight and flyability of the chopper would have been very difficult!

missile

That's super sexy :)

I think the next thing I'll start learning to use in GMS is the use of surfaces and shaders :p
Glad you like it. :+ What are you after with the shaders and stuff, something
particular you are interested in?

Yeah, it's a handful.

I'm not concerned too much about it being the best rope ever. And, if it does some weird things.. Well, that's part of the charm :D

The weight at the end of the rope doesn't directly affect the chopper. The attach point of the rope to the chopper just tracks the chopper. I'll add an artificial force when he picks things up. Trying to manage a swinging weight and flyability of the chopper would have been very difficult!
Will be cool nevertheless. And I think the rope will also add some inclusive
gameplay.

Jack_AG

Banned
Edit: The RGB picture for comparison.

hL3uU7U.png

---

aEF2aDZ.png

Here is my first attempt for a CRT TV displaying a PAL video signal. The very
first version here basically implements the core PAL signal modulation/
demodulation process via two dual-sideband-suppressed-carriers, arranged in
quadrature as the engineers would say, with some special luminance and chroma
filtering applied to the Yuv color signal.

It's just a start, many things need to be done. For example, currently there
is no phase alternation (PAL :<=> Phase Alternate Line). Hence, the PAL signal
here is 'perfectly' demodulated, i.e. a perfect local oscillator with no phase
drift whatsoever is at the works, which wasn't the case back then in many of
the old TVs. I will address this point while implementing NTSC which basically
requires me to not display the same color twice on each scanline. xD Yeah, a
classic one. ;) Many common oscillators do produce phase errors leading to
slight color drifts on a scanline. Hence, a picture on an old NTSC TV shows
some graded color shading and there isn't much help of the system to counter
act it. Even the so-called Color Burst (sync pulse, or pilot tone (stereo
radio)) wasn't enough. For example, the right side of such an TV may slightly
be covered in a red tint (depending on the oscillator drift). But you know
what? PAL essentially has the same issue! So you can counter act the argument
now. ;) Since for one scanline the u (Yuv, uv croma information of the signal)
oscillator phase is 90 degrees ahead of v. Yet for the next scanline the
situation is reversed and u trails 90 degrees behind and so on. However, this
doesn't make the problem go away all of a sudden but it ensures that any
oscillator drift has an opposite effect on alternating scanlines. So where is
the trick? Well, you won't see the color drift while sitting on the other side
of the room! Your eyes basically blend the phase error away (within certain
limits, of course). That was the trick with PAL in yielding better color. But
the NTSC guys had a striking advantage; 60Hz (30fps even/odd, instead of 50Hz
PAL with 25fps even/odd) which made a difference in some games (fast games,
racing games). Anyhow, one can build a 60Hz PAL signal as well by lowering the
scanlines, which could be done by the PS2 (EU) for example.

Yet there is much more to do and I could write odds and ends about it, but I'm
not sure whether many here are interested in technical stuff even if they can
understand all of what's written. Anyhow, everything here will result in some
pictures, luckily. ;)

Btw; There is also a ringing effect implemented you won't recognize from the
still image shown.

Many cool things to come!
I dig this so much. This is excellent stuff!

Anustart

Question about Unity.

So I've got some objects I'm instantiating, but changing the scale of the object changes the scale of the prefab itself to 0, no matter what I do. It shouldn't be changing the prefab at all, just the instantiated object anyway...

Also, how can I round a float to nearest .25? Googling says float * 4 / 4 will do it, but in my instance, the only numbers this will result in is 1 or 2.

Blizzard

Banned
Game art problems...I'm finally trying to create some amazing art (also known as placeholder terrible programmer pixel art) so I can try to program gameplay.

Naturally, the eternal questions looms large. Should I try for 64x64 grid/unit sizes, or 80x80! I'm leaning towards 64x64 since that should give a little room for detail, but in theory also gives people the option to do a straight 2X zoom if they want for 128x128.

bumpkin

Game art problems...I'm finally trying to create some amazing art (also known as placeholder terrible programmer pixel art) so I can try to program gameplay.

Naturally, the eternal questions looms large. Should I try for 64x64 grid/unit sizes, or 80x80! I'm leaning towards 64x64 since that should give a little room for detail, but in theory also gives people the option to do a straight 2X zoom if they want for 128x128.
FWIW, I'm going with 64x64 for my game.

Speaking of which, I should capture a new video and post it. I made big strides with my character state logic and the attached animations. It's all basic placeholder imagery, but having my main character shooting bullets and having enemies that can get hit and be killed is so satisfying!

My next challenge will be getting the terrain collision detection working. This will be the third or fourth time attempting it. Here's hoping that all the research and reading I've been doing will help me break through this time,

I like 64x64. Fits in well with many resolutions. Honestly though, you have to think a little broader, higher level, in a 2D game. Pick a resolution first, then from there pick your sprite size. Once you find your resolution, you may decide even to go 32x32, or beyond 100. Pick whatever fits your game best at that resolution. Once you pick a tile/sprite size, there's no going back. So take whatever time you need.

Makai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom