• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking forward to Unity 5. Seems a bit soon though. I hope they finally include the GUI changes because it is taking pretty long now. And I am holding off on buying an addon for that as they would change it.

EDIT: Ah I saw some comments about the GUI, apparently it still will be in Unity 4.

Oooh, Unity 5. Physically Based Shaders? Yummy. I hope they also have the node-based shader editor as well. Probably still many months off, though. I think it was like 4 or 5 months between the Unity 4 beta and final release.

Frologic

Nearly done! but my gifs are still coming out a bit weird in the captures >_<

Wovvv.gif

More details? This looks hilariously awesome.

cbox

Noogy's game Dust pretty much convinced me XNA doesn't have many limitations for 2D games. It looks and plays amazing!

true! Just one restriction for older pcs - sprite sheet animations couldn't be more than 2048px squared. My animation at 60fps filled that up pretty quickly :p

true! Just one restriction for older pcs - sprite sheet animations couldn't be more than 2048px squared. My animation at 60fps filled that up pretty quickly :p

true, but for newer gpus you can use 4k, wondering how old should you should keep in mind, till +5 years old gpu to just keep the 2048px? or you can just break your spritesheets in multiple sheets, at least for PC it is working fine for me

cbox

true, but for newer gpus you can use 4k, wondering how old should you should keep in mind, till +5 years old gpu to just keep the 2048px? or you can just break your spritesheets in multiple sheets, at least for PC it is working fine for me

We're doing it to maximize compatibility for most pcs. Since our game is pretty simple, we want most people to be able to play it , and especially on laptops. We actually just realized we could break them up, and I'm currently creating a nicer sprite sheet today. Going to make the spawn bigger and longer, and just have the two sheet just play one after another.

Water

I was not expecting to see Unity 5 announced.
So what's on everyone's wishlist? Here's mine:

Nested prefabs

Upgrade to modern Mono

Polished official solution for serializing and saving/loading full and partial gamestates
Shouldn't need a ton of work from Unity, or any changes in Unity's guts, but I think it would be immensely valuable. The idea would be to establish a sane standard and guidelines for the users to lay out and label their data suitably, and helping even beginners to do it. Plugin/middleware/asset makers would then also make their wares directly compatible with the standard Unity way. I recognize game saving and loading is fundamentally not one-size-fits-all, but they'd easily cover 90% of the use cases out there, and many of the remaining games that need custom stuff would find it easier to adapt to an existing system than to reinvent everything from scratch. It's important to be able to save either the full state (as in suspend/resume, or for debug purposes) or a limited amount of state for a normal savegame in the same project.

De-emphasize scenes
Begin a transition to where "scenes" are just one way of many to group, load and unload parts of the game world - essentially, big prefabs. Make dynamic, generated or piecemeal-loaded worlds equal citizens. I think simply having nested prefabs would let one get pretty far to this direction. This obviously goes hand in hand with the serialization and structuring of game state data. In the short term, as long as they stick to the scene-based system, I'd like to see its usability improved. Let me designate a default scene to open when the Unity project opens. (Which reminds me: give me a .unityproject file that opens the project instead of having to dig into Assets/Scenes and guess at an appropriate .scene file.) Give me hooks to run global code at game launch regardless of scene, or at the load/unload of every scene, without having to sprinkle stupid empty script objects around.

rottame

It looks like Unity 5 will try to target bigger studios' needs. If it so, it makes sense: they already have the indies, and they may want to directly attack Unreal and Cryengine.

EDIT: Goddamnit. WebGL. Didn't see that. This means being able to publish in-browser without plugins, right?

bumpkin

Your y collision and x collision should each be checked separately. Check for collision on the y axis and then check on the x axis.
That's what I was planning to do, although I wanted to check X first and then Y second (so I can do slopes, as per this article's prescription). The only reason Y comes into the logic at all is so that I can narrow down the scope of how many tiles I'm inspecting during the detection process.

Read this then try to explain it back here to us:

http://www.metanetsoftware.com/technique/tutorialA.html

Then post questions if you have any.
I don't know if what I'm about to say makes sense, but while I understand the words, I'm still kind of lost on how to apply it to my scenario. I think what's most frustrating me the most is that the horizontal detection works perfectly. It just gets fucked (pardon my French) when vertical movement comes into the equation; what's even more vexing is that it's only semi-fucked. That is, it behaves fine after a certain point during descent -- as shown in the video -- it just wigs out at the initial edge.

It's so close, I just wish I knew the magic fix to get it working 100%. The idea I'm toying around with right now is to do a two-pass detection. Use a straight-up AABB check and then secondarily do a point intersection test (using the nearest corners).

Buy this. Thank me later:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/086547897X/?tag=neogaf0e-20

In fact, if you want something a little more elementary:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1560100842/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Buy both. They are always at the top of my recommended books for animation.
Welp, bookmarked. Thanks, mate.

I hate to be an asshole, but even though that looks better, it still looks ruff. You should focus on animating the legs first and getting the animation curve going there first because to me it doesn't look like the legs are really walking. Once you get that the rest of the animation will come along. To me your guy looks like a robot walking and I'm guessing you are going for something that looks more natural.

Watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5ffy-YwybA

Search for walk animation on Youtube to see some vids.
Yeah, I know, the animation is a bit shonky. It's mainly prototype stuff right now, I'll probably clean it up later once the whole character is working in-game and stuff, but that vid looks good, too, I've been pointed to other animation vids like that as well.

Do you like Spriter? I've been considering it..
So far, it's pretty good for a beta. It's cheaper than Spine, and while you have to have a plugin for your chosen engine (possibly even code it yourself) if you really want to take advantage of its features, if you know what you're doing, you can create some incredible stuff. Unfortunately, I'm not really one of those people able to do that, lol, but it's great for animation and stuff like character customization, custom hitboxes and other neat little features, especially if you're a Construct 2 user like myself, as Construct 2 is the only engine with an official Spriter plugin, made by Spriter's lone coder himself, though making a custom implementation for any engine seems to be fairly straightforward from what I know.

It looks like Unity 5 will try to target bigger studios' needs. If it so, it makes sense: they already have the indies, and they may want to directly attack Unreal and Cryengine.

EDIT: Goddamnit. WebGL. Didn't see that. This means being able to publish in-browser without plugins, right?

Yeah, should be able to work without a plugin then.

Also, I kickstarted Spriter and it does have a lot of useful features. I mostly was searching for a replacement for Flash, since that is what I was taught at school and hated. Didn't really knew a good replacement for such easy animation but then Sprite came along. Haven't done too much with it though. I suck ass with visual stuff so I have not touched it too much. I had some problems with the Unity plugin so I am waiting until there are some improvements there and in the meanwhile there will be more features.

_machine

Friends over at Team Jolly Roger just updated their alpha version of Interplanetary, an upcoming Defcon-esque space strategy coming to Early Access later on:
http://tjrdev.blogspot.fi/2014/03/interplanetary-alpha-update-new-features.html

I think I might have a few alpha codes they gave me left so if anyone's interested in trying the game without having to use Twitter or Facebook (which btw, they've found really good for creating the community) let me know and I'll try to scrounge them from somewhere.

As long as the new GUI comes reasonably well before Unity 5 I'm definitely excited about the new version, mostly because I only got the free versions so far so it's not an extra cost for me.

Well, I hope the update won't be too pricey. Being able to deploy in-browser games without requiring a plugin install would be a game changer for my company (we do quite a lot of promotional game/apps for companies).

I think WebGL still has quite a few compatibility issues between browsers though, although I've not worked with it. I assume the update is pretty expensive though. Probably the same as it is now.

More details? This looks hilariously awesome.

It's a weird Norse story about animals fighting to claim Odin's power. It's all over the place honestly, and I'm wrapping up the character endings tonight after work.

It's a semi platform fighting game (think Samurai Gun) but the mechanics need to be tightened. I need it to be ready for my MFA thesis so cleaning up will probably happen after I do my defense.

Jesus! Don't want to look into your brain. ;) Cool though.

I'll take that as a compliment, thanks ;)

De-emphasize scenes
Begin a transition to where "scenes" are just one way of many to group, load and unload parts of the game world - essentially, big prefabs. Make dynamic, generated or piecemeal-loaded worlds equal citizens. I think simply having nested prefabs would let one get pretty far to this direction. This obviously goes hand in hand with the serialization and structuring of game state data. In the short term, as long as they stick to the scene-based system, I'd like to see its usability improved. Let me designate a default scene to open when the Unity project opens. (Which reminds me: give me a .unityproject file that opens the project instead of having to dig into Assets/Scenes and guess at an appropriate .scene file.) Give me hooks to run global code at game launch regardless of scene, or at the load/unload of every scene, without having to sprinkle stupid empty script objects around.

Agreed. If they did this I would be a happy man. It only makes sense.

razu

So what's on everyone's wishlist? Here's mine:

Nested prefabs

Upgrade to modern Mono

Polished official solution for serializing and saving/loading full and partial gamestates
Shouldn't need a ton of work from Unity, or any changes in Unity's guts, but I think it would be immensely valuable. The idea would be to establish a sane standard and guidelines for the users to lay out and label their data suitably, and helping even beginners to do it. Plugin/middleware/asset makers would then also make their wares directly compatible with the standard Unity way. I recognize game saving and loading is fundamentally not one-size-fits-all, but they'd easily cover 90% of the use cases out there, and many of the remaining games that need custom stuff would find it easier to adapt to an existing system than to reinvent everything from scratch. It's important to be able to save either the full state (as in suspend/resume, or for debug purposes) or a limited amount of state for a normal savegame in the same project.

De-emphasize scenes

I'd like better dynamic shadows. A cylinder collision primitive perhaps?

I looked on the site, $750 to upgrade to 5.0 as an existing 4.0 user. I'll wait and see what it does for that. 4.0 will do me for Super Something Squad&#8482;.

Edit: Official page has the details: https://unity3d.com/5

The wife and I were looking at this for a good five minutes last night and just cracking up at it. Fast food combo meal as a character and that mangy ass wolf at the end made me lose it.

yay! that's good to hear, it's doing its job then :)

lmao, what is this??

my masters thesis as crazy as that might sound. I'll probably post a download of the game once I feel it has gotten enough playtesting locally.

I'm actually meeting with one of my committee members in a few min to talk about it.

saska

9Bdv6Xx.png

Hello again ProfessionallyPoorIndieGAF! This time I have you a school project we did in group of three using Construct2. It's a one button speedrunning/platforming game. The objective is to try to find out the fastest way to get to the goal. Too bad we didn't have time to implement proper timer or any indicator that you have played a stage in the least amount of time possible. Sigh.

Try speedrunning the tutorial level, the optimal route takes something like 5 seconds.
Play Ice Run in a browser!
Note: playing on a 60fps screen is highly recommended because the game runs at the speed of refresh rate. That means at 120fps screen you will experience the game at double the speed.

RcpTGYr.png

(Yeah I know graphics could use some polish (like AA) and not using web safe fonts in menus wasn't probably the best idea. We kinda had to rush it because deadline.)

Any comments? Any other flaws than the ones I went through in this post? Thanks in advance.

razu

I've added controls for releasing the object you've hooked. And added in some basketballs you can drop in a skip! :D

Plus, I've uploaded a playable PC/Mac build to vamflax.com

It's all placeholder and rough, but.. enjoy! :D

charsace

So rumour has it that unity 5 will use PhysX 3.3. Would be cool to get more physics functionality.

That depends on what type of wrapper they write for the physX doesn't it?

Speaking of Quixel and NDO...

Quixel Suite trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkLFWFskgxE

Quixel Megascans CryEngine trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CeRcJHdJbo

So pretty.

Also, what is the game at 0:54 in the Suite trailer? No Man's Sky? Homeworld: Shipbreakers?

I grabbed a pic of it:

Looks like something that would really fill in gaps in MODO. MODO isn't good for texturing right?

bkw

Oh man, I think I might have made a mistake going 3D. As if learning Unity isn't enough, trying to figure out how to model, unwrap, rig, texture, animate in 3d, etc is going to be heavy...

"Oh man, I think I might have made a mistake going 3D. As if learning Unity isn't enough, trying to figure out how to model, unwrap, rig, texture, animate in 3d, etc is going to be heavy..."

Well, you could always go abstract and skip some of those steps :p.

bkw

Well, you could always go abstract and skip some of those steps :p.
Yeah. It'll be smart to go more abstract, but dropping ideas and reworking stuff is going to suck. Though not completing the game would suck even more I guess...

Probably shouldn't have bitten off more than I can chew for my first unity project.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Yeah. It'll be smart to go more abstract, but dropping ideas and reworking stuff is going to suck. Though not completing the game would suck even more I guess...

Probably shouldn't have bitten off more than I can chew for my first unity project.

Just get some pre-made stuff from the asset store :p

friken

Playing with gas this week has been quite a bit of fun. While I have to admit I was tempted to just make a gas giant texture, smack it on a sphere and call it done, it just didn't feel right to have such a beautiful thing be so static. So on went the thinking cap on how I could make a gas giant the way they were meant to be seen -- with flowing bands of gaseous awesomeness.

The goal for StarDiver has been to create procedural systems that can be reused to make a variety of similar things. Gas Giants are no exception. We have tweaked the system to be able to kick out a mind boggling array of different looking gas behemoths.

I've included a couple of stills to see the generation system making quite different looks, but please watch the video to see the gaseous bands flow. It is mesmerizing. For giggles, watch the animated gif for 10-20sec then look at either of the two stills under it and they start moving :)

ig2vQuSvgfChU.gif

Gas-Orange.jpg

Gas-Green.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Irritating PC game thing of the day: Whenever I moved the mouse cursor quickly over my game window, the FPS would dive. I could not seem to fix it with event processing even if I just emptied the event queue as quickly as possible.

Rebooting fixed it. My best guess is that because I was running a racing game with the Oculus Rift earlier, one or both of those things messed with some sort of system/timing settings for physics, sampling, event-processing, and so forth.

razu

Nice DPF razu! Liking the aesthetic so far, do you plan on building upon the environments?

Thanks!

Yeah. I want the levels to have more detail and lots more objects. I'm going to do something with the sky too this time. I really need to sort the lighting on that level, but that takes a lot of time. And time is best spent on game play right now.

The big feature will be NPCs, which will trigger side quests. That may take some time!

I'll keep updating the build on vamflax.com, and sort out the site too... It's a bit of a mess at the moment.

Jobbs

Banned
Playing with gas this week has been quite a bit of fun. While I have to admit I was tempted to just make a gas giant texture, smack it on a sphere and call it done, it just didn't feel right to have such a beautiful thing be so static. So on went the thinking cap on how I could make a gas giant the way they were meant to be seen -- with flowing bands of gaseous awesomeness.

Love that animated planet. :D

McSpidey

Wow. What do you use to make high framerate GIFs?

I think you won't get an answer from Sycle. It was asked in here before, iirc.
Perhaps he hasn't seen people asking. ;) Anyhow, I make a guess; they write
(or grab) out the pictures on their own straight from the game and later use a
tool to build a proper 60fps animated-gif out of it. Anyone?

I think Sycle just misses the posts due to coding and animating...and right now he's at GDC.
I just dig up his tweet on this for you though :) NOTE: GIF has a max speed of 50fps, not 60 sadly.
https://twitter.com/ironicaccount/status/442427138352742400
I generally use Fraps > VirtualDub > Photoshop, but you could substitute other software to do the same thing

Fraps for capture, VirtualDub for cutting/editing etc, Photoshop for GIFing.

Hope that helps!

PS: If anyone else is at GDC go find them and say hi for me..sadly I'm stuck in Australia while they're there having all the fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom