• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fin

We have reached about the 1/2 way mark to the minimum number of alien races we want to populate our game universe (10/20). It is time for gut check for consistency, style, detail etc. Questions for the group.

1. Do they all feel in-line with eachother?
2. Any that have stand out issues to you that could use tweaking?
3. Overall how do you think they fit/feel against the in-game engine art?

From a quick glance they look really cool. I'd say go with it. Its definitely made me curious what they'll be doing in the game.

cbox

Shwip dev is a GAFfer! Awesome!

Hello!

It's been a while since I upped a GIF, batter up!

ig6bQX01IkUU5.gif

Also, our composer upped the entire album to bandcamp, have a listen!

http://ezaudiostudio.bandcamp.com/album/shwip-original-soundtrack

missile

GifCam is buggy. For one, canvas size != recording size. Not a bug, but still!
The color quantization algorithms (Quantize and Nearest) seem to be in error.
At times part of the screen is colored with just one color. Anyone had similar
issues?

We have reached about the 1/2 way mark to the minimum number of alien races we want to populate our game universe (10/20). It is time for gut check for consistency, style, detail etc. Questions for the group.

1. Do they all feel in-line with eachother?
2. Any that have stand out issues to you that could use tweaking?
3. Overall how do you think they fit/feel against the in-game engine art?

Races 1-4:
aliens2.JPG

Races 5-8:
aliens1.JPG

Races 9-10:
aliens3.JPG

Combat:
iY4lxuHdFdZql.gif

Exploration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3yMPj6QlVE

Bunch of misc project videos:
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?o=U

Using shacklesmcgee's words;
... I almost wish the entire game was in the art style of the alien portraits, like an old school adventure game, ...

Roger Wilco, anyone? ;)

... 3. Overall how do you think they fit/feel against the in-game engine art? ...
Honestly? Seems like two different games from over here. The alien's art style
is way beyond the in-game art/graphics for now. The in-game graphics needs
much more atmosphere, sort of an atmosphere that fits the alien's aura. Point
1 and 2 are fine though.

Hello!

It's been a while since I upped a GIF, batter up!

ig6bQX01IkUU5.gif

Also, our composer upped the entire album to bandcamp, have a listen!

http://ezaudiostudio.bandcamp.com/album/shwip-original-soundtrack

My favorit three are;
Shwip,
Style, and
The Wolfpack.

Well, I'm going to give this Ludum Dare a shot, even though I'll be busy Saturday morning and on call for work later in the weekend. Maybe I'll get lucky!

Here's my optimistic page announcing my code base and possible tools: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/2014/04/24/announcing-code-base-and-some-tools-for-ld29/

Apparently the last time I participated was almost exactly a year ago, so that's cool.

I think I might enter too. It's going to be interesting as it will be the first time I've felt ready to actually enter one of these!

Jobbs

Banned
My gf and I have been in awe with each new one you release, they definitely all look to be from the same "universe". I almost wish the entire game was in the art style of the alien portraits, like an old school adventure game, but I think it does fit the in game stuff too. I will say alien 3 and alien 9 do look slightly similiar, what with the gold/yellow tones and tendrils. Maybe add more "digital" effects to number 9, to separate from 3's organic style? Regardless, fantastic, fantastic stuff!

The game is in the tradition of Star Control and other PC classics like Hyperspeed, where you'd have your ship and ship travel and ship combat, and all that, and encounters with alien species that were done by way of portraits like this. I love it. :)

Ashodin

Welp since the Kickstarter was a success (YES) it's time to keep up with this thread and give you guys updates on the progress of the game again!

The game is in the tradition of Star Control and other PC classics like Hyperspeed, where you'd have your ship and ship travel and ship combat, and all that, and encounters with alien species that were done by way of portraits like this. I love it. :)

yeah my immediate reaction was "oooooh star control-y, shackles like"

Blizzard

Banned
Roughly 6.5 hours until the ludum dare 29 theme is announced! Has everyone already planned their games that they will force to match the theme?

I'm still cynically predicting it will be Beneath The Surface, resulting in a thousand dungeon crawlers and a few ocean games.

I liked some of the comments I read about the more problematic themes, like "If the theme is 'Break the Rules', I'm submitting a novel." I suggested if the "Time Is Not Real" or similar theme won, everyone could just ignore the submission deadline.

friken

My gf and I have been in awe with each new one you release, they definitely all look to be from the same "universe". I almost wish the entire game was in the art style of the alien portraits, like an old school adventure game, but I think it does fit the in game stuff too. I will say alien 3 and alien 9 do look slightly similiar, what with the gold/yellow tones and tendrils. Maybe add more "digital" effects to number 9, to separate from 3's organic style? Regardless, fantastic, fantastic stuff!

Thanks for the feedback. When I animate those two (3/9), I suspect they will diverge more. So far I've only done a few of the animations, and not those two. I'll be leaving more animations until after I get some UI and other components done so we can more coherently show what that game is about.

friken

Ludum dare this weekend... should be some fun, so join in if you hadn't already planned on it :)

This will be my first Ludum. I decided to do the group/72 hour one since I'm mostly solo day to day. If anyone is in the Houston area and feel like joining in we can fit in another person or two at my place, so pm me and join in.

friken

Honestly? Seems like two different games from over here. The alien's art style
is way beyond the in-game art/graphics for now. The in-game graphics needs
much more atmosphere, sort of an atmosphere that fits the alien's aura. Point
1 and 2 are fine though.

This was something I was hoping not to hear, but thanks for the honesty! For the in-game things planned but not there yet -- assuming they are done well would these things bridge the gap or are you seeing something else?

1. shield fx for some of the ships
2. damage fx as similar to freespace2 as I can pull off.
3. asteroid or wreckage debris here and there.
4. space stations where they make sense to the game.
5. lightning like flashes in thickest nebula areas.

Also, something that I'm hoping helps bridge the gap is getting the in-game UI in there as it will be the same UI style for the alien dialogues. We'll keep this conversation going as we get further with the in-game stuff, as it is very important to me to get it feeling seem-less jumping from exploration/combat/mining/alien dialogue.

In Unity can I mix 2D rendering with the 3D physics engine? I am working on a top-down dungeon crawler but want to do top-down 2D, not 3D with an overhead cam. However, I still want objects in the game to behave as if they were in 3D space.

Turfster

In Unity can I mix 2D rendering with the 3D physics engine? I am working on a top-down dungeon crawler but want to do top-down 2D, not 3D with an overhead cam. However, I still want objects in the game to behave as if they were in 3D space.

Yes. You're asking for trouble, though.

Unless you plan on having objects fall into the world, or move towards the screen, you can just do 2D physics and it should look fine.

In general, 3D physics with 2D is A.) wasteful, since it's doing extra calculations and it's not optimized for 2D and B.) not always consistent.

Alternatively, you can do 2.5D and do a 3D game with 2D sprites (and an orthographic camera) and you'd probably be alright. The plus with this approach is that you get "free" sprite sorting just by setting the sprite's depth (or layer) relative to other sprites.

Anustart

Ugh. Here's my problem at the moment. I jump from working on one thing to another rather quickly. I'll have one idea, work on it, then jump to something else.

Should I be focusing on one thing at a time and polishing it, or getting rough resemblances of several ideas then polish later?

Also, I still suck at art creation / making the game look good.

Blizzard

Banned
My original prediction was correct, and the Ludum Dare theme is "Beneath the Surface". Makai and I predict dungeon crawlers and ocean games.

Near the deadline everyone seemed certain "Break the Rules" would win, so I'm glad it didn't. I don't like "Beneath the Surface" too much but at least it's better than the alternative. :p

BmHQ1_wCMAEj_G5.jpg

Well, here is the title of our game and logo to go with it. I already have an idea of what configuration I want to go with but other opinions can only help.

So what do you guys think?

ZehDon

BmHQ1_wCMAEj_G5.jpg

Well, here is the title of our game and logo to go with it. I already have an idea of what configuration I want to go with but other opinions can only help.

I agree with everyone else - top right is my favourite. I think putting the two words on the same level, with a larger icon above, might look pretty good?

EDarkness

I have a quick question....

I have Twitter (and Facebook for that matter), and I'm wondering what is the point of it and what would be the best way to use it? I post updates about my game every now and again, but I'm not someone who wants to spam up people's feed with tons of stuff. However, I feel like I should do something with it, but I'm not sure what. Of course, I have my personal Twitter account, which I could use to be more social. However, my business one I'm not sure what to do with. Looking at Sony, Nintendo, and other companies, I see that they post a lot of relevant stuff to their products. As a small guy in the business, I just have no idea what I should be doing with it.

Figured I'd get some feedback which might shed some light on the whole Twitter thing.

LGom09

I know this isn't necessarily the place to ask, but I was wondering if I could get some more feedback on music I'm working on. I posted this a couple days ago. It sounds pretty cheap, I know. I tried to improve the sound quality and make it feel more atmospheric. Here is the new version. I've been listening to it over and over as I write it, so I think at some point I just hear what I want to hear. Something I have to get over, I guess. Anyway, any criticism is welcome; I'm still very much a beginner. Thanks!

ZehDon

I have a quick question....

I have Twitter (and Facebook for that matter), and I'm wondering what is the point of it and what would be the best way to use it?...
I've only just started to get the ball rolling on my social media stuff, but I'm happy to share my thoughts so far.

Comparing yourself to Nintendo or Sony is probably not the best way to start. Those companies have to protect their corporate image fiercely. When they post something informal, it usually makes headlines.
In order to best succeed in the small space, I think its best to use your weaknesses as strengths. So, if you're small, that can mean you don't have to protect a corporate image. Posting updates, screenshots and music snips are all great ways to keep people informed and interested. However, don't be afraid to post a picture of your messy desk with your game running on your PC with a caption like "Hard days work, but finally got [feature] working!". It helps the kind people who would want to follow a small indie developer relate to you.
Your personality, or character, is something you can promote that Nintendo or Sony can't, because they're a large faceless corporation. Also, post often. I try and post something new at least once a week. I'd like to post more often, but some weeks having something interesting to talk about isn't easy.

Edit:
...Anyway, any criticism is welcome; I'm still very much a beginner. Thanks!
I think both versions are great, in different ways. The first feels a little more lighthearted, and I love the crisp sound of the instruments. I get so used to the beep beep beep of electronic music that its nice to hear something different. The second has just the mildest hint of something darker, and feels a lot more electronic, with a nice melody.

I find that music needs to "fit in", and at the same time it really defines the feeling of a game. Without knowing about the game the pieces of music are for - or what you're intending them to do emotionally - its hard to offer more than that. They sound great in any case!

Anustart

Trying to figure out how to get a parallax like effect on an object. Such as a planet that's spinning while clouds move slower etc.

rexor0717

Last night, I played my game on an big screen TV for the first time. Having the screen space to actually see the details of the art really reassured me in the art style I'm going for, it looked nice.

I know this isn't necessarily the place to ask, but I was wondering if I could get some more feedback on music I'm working on. I posted this a couple days ago. It sounds pretty cheap, I know. I tried to improve the sound quality and make it feel more atmospheric. Here is the new version. I've been listening to it over and over as I write it, so I think at some point I just hear what I want to hear. Something I have to get over, I guess. Anyway, any criticism is welcome; I'm still very much a beginner. Thanks!
On the PD track, I like the what you're going for over all. I'm no musician, but I think first 8 seconds seem to be building towards something a bit more grand than what follows it. Also, the drumming around 26 starts going ham, but the rest of the track doesn't keep up with the excitement it builds.

LGom09

I think both versions are great, in different ways. The first feels a little more lighthearted, and I love the crisp sound of the instruments. I get so used to the beep beep beep of electronic music that its nice to hear something different. The second has just the mildest hint of something darker, and feels a lot more electronic, with a nice melody.

I find that music needs to "fit in", and at the same time it really defines the feeling of a game. Without knowing about the game the pieces of music are for - or what you're intending them to do emotionally - its hard to offer more than that. They sound great in any case!

Thanks! I should have said, this is intended as background music for a puzzle game so it is supposed to accompany thought. If I ever finish the game, I might just let the music dictate the tone because I get attached to certain pieces.

On the PD track, I like the what you're going for over all. I'm no musician, but I think first 8 seconds seem to be building towards something a bit more grand than what follows it. Also, the drumming around 26 starts going ham, but the rest of the track doesn't keep up with the excitement it builds.
I actually agree with both points. Thanks for the feedback.

-Winnie-

Hi GAF!

I'm super excited to finally share the mobile game I've been working on! It's called Hazumino and it's out right now on iOS and Android!

FKbpXLW.png
GkMgMom.png

It's an endless runner mashed with a falling puzzle game (think Tetris). Control your runner on the left of the screen, and control blocks that come in from the right side of the screen to make platforms to run on!

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh4dHhNkDyw

I'd really appreciate if you guys could give the game a play and a nice big rating if you think it deserves it. ;)

We've got a Lite version and the full version which is 50% off for a limited time!

Links:
iOS Full | Android Full
iOS Lite | Android Lite

Hope you enjoy, and as always, any and all feedback is welcomed! :D

Oh, and I've got 5 codes for the iOS full version up for grabs, first come first served!

scaffa

Indie FFT! I'll take it!

I got a Non Indie FFT related question for you. Apexicon is made in Construct2 right? Are you experiencing any problems with the Node-Webkit exporter and random freezes that take about 2 to 4 seconds? Or did you get reports about that while testing the game? I assume you are using the lastest Construct2 version?

I'm currently trying to figure out a nasty freezing bug with my game and it's completely random when it happens. It's driving me nuts. It happens during the game and after the freeze the game continues like normal again. It doesnt happen in preview mode and only in the nodewebkit version.

Ashodin

Nope, no freezes. Not sure what kind of problems you have. If you want, upload to mediafire a copy of your CAPX and I'll see.

I preview exclusively in node webkit (as that's what I'll be using to release the PC version).

Razlo

8b987200628c485a8d08482130a37b21_large.png

I sort of wanted a separate post for this announcement, but creators can't make threads on their own games on GAF, so I'll throw it here...

Octodad, Guacamelee, Go Home Dinosaurs, Roundabout, & Blood Alloy cameo cards are going to be featured in my first indie game Billionaire Banshee!

I used to be at Harmonix, making video games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band, but after a layoff in December, I put all of my effort into my own card game.

That game is Billionaire Banshee. It's a game where everyone playing pretends they're single & is looking for a soul mate. There are 2 card piles, a Perk pile and  Quirk pile. The player who's turn it is grabs 1 card from each pile and the combination of traits listed makes up their potential lover. For instance: PERK: They Have A Giant Robot QUIRK: They Have An Adult Baby Fetish. Everyone secretly votes if that player would date the weird combination, and those that know their friend best get a point.

If that sounds cool to you, or you like supporting GAF devs, check out this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1857968438/billionaire-banshee-party-entertainment-system

scaffa

Nope, no freezes. Not sure what kind of problems you have. If you want, upload to mediafire a copy of your CAPX and I'll see.

I preview exclusively in node webkit (as that's what I'll be using to release the PC version).

Good the hear you don't have any problems and for offering help. That gives me some hope I can crush this nasty bug. I will try to find and fix the problem in the following days, since I really want and need to know what is causing it.

What version of Construct2 are you currently using? The latest one and bought it on Steam?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
These are straight exports from Inkscape of unfinished characters(especially the man that really needs better arms, hands and trousers, a more detailed axe etc), so there are lines that aren't supposed to be, some errors, poses and colors are not final etc.

lei_stand.png
manl_stand.png

But as a start are these sprites too terrible?
Please don't be too harsh :\

Turfster

But as a start are these sprites too terrible?
Please don't be too harsh :\

I like them, and they're better than I could have done ;)
Maybe the woman's pelvis seems a bit foreshortened, and I feel like the man's nipples are a bit low, but that's all I could give as criticism, really.

My first post in this thread, amazing stuff everyone!

BmK0rlSCcAADv8c.png:large

For #SSSaturday we shown the final version of the first map for our tactical with the all new graphical assets/tweaks.

https://twitter.com/ArsTacticaGame

well, this looks fantastic. best of luck with it!
now i don't know your personal role in the development but how... easy... was this to create? mechanically, i mean. it looks like you're using unity 2D?
my programming skills are basically next to none and i realise an entire game is a stupid goal to set oneself so early but i would definitely like to work up to an SRPG like this. if you programmed it at all, was there any tutorials or advice you looked at or is this all prior knowledge?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Everyone is doing a great job, i'm so jealous...

My first post in this thread, amazing stuff everyone!

BmK0rlSCcAADv8c.png:large

For #SSSaturday we shown the final version of the first map for our tactical with the all new graphical assets/tweaks.

https://twitter.com/ArsTacticaGame
It looks awesome, especially the tiles :)

I like them, and they're better than I could have done ;)
Maybe the woman's pelvis seems a bit foreshortened, and I feel like the man's nipples are a bit low, but that's all I could give as criticism, really.
Thanks! XD

About the man's nipples i know what you mean because i felt the same at the beginning but if you look at images of muscular bodies most of them are more or less like this:
body-composition.jpg

Wait i forgot to do the navel lol.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
He's not a man, he's a mountain. Sprang forth fully formed from a rock, hence no navel ;)

Lol!

EDIT:
ironically i think that you caught the spirit of the character, he is supposed to be a sort of modern day viking!
That's the result of listening too folk metal lol

cloudbot

Neo Member
How do people here get the word out about their games? We are getting a lot of positive response to our game, but would like to reach more people without being spammy or annoying.

I try to think about what kinds of things on social networks I skip vs what I find interesting and click. I'm trying to be more creative with reaching out:

Capsule Force Fan Site:
http://www.klobit.com/capsuleforce/sites/anime/neo1999/

1990s magazine preview scan:
BlastGaming.jpg

Thoughts?

cloudbot

Neo Member
BmHQ1_wCMAEj_G5.jpg

I just figured I'd chime in on what you already know by now! Top-right looks the best to me as well. :)

V_Arnold

Cloudbot: Team Emi here, so you get no love from me for that art! :p
Jokes aside, count me interested. Facebook seems like an inevitability, so I would guess to keep this style of marketing up, and try to release footages (be it pictures/videos) with good frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom