• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
I have a really obnoxious problem and I'm not sure if it's my computer or what. If I make a short sound effect (trying to solve this super quickly since it's for Ludum Dare), for example in Bfxr (http://www.bfxr.net/), and save it as a WAV, it plays correctly the first time. Times after that, a very short amount of time, maybe 200 ms, get cut off from the sound effect. It creates an annoying delay.

This happens whether I play the WAV in Windows Media Player, or convert it to MP3 and play it in Flash itself. Windows Media Player will play the full thing the first time, and chop off a tiny bit the second time, until I restart the program. Has anyone even HEARD of such a problem? ;_;

*edit* Or maybe it plays twice the first time in some applications? Either way it may be delayed but I guess I have to live with it.

How do people here get the word out about their games? We are getting a lot of positive response to our game, but would like to reach more people without being spammy or annoying.

I try to think about what kinds of things on social networks I skip vs what I find interesting and click. I'm trying to be more creative with reaching out:

Capsule Force Fan Site:
http://www.klobit.com/capsuleforce/sites/anime/neo1999/

1990s magazine preview scan:
BlastGaming.jpg

Thoughts?
Reminds me a lot of the MEGA preview of Phantasy Star 4 back in the day, really like that you went with an older anime art style then a modern one.

cloudbot

Neo Member
Cloudbot: Team Emi here, so you get no love from me for that art! :p
Jokes aside, count me interested. Facebook seems like an inevitability, so I would guess to keep this style of marketing up, and try to release footages (be it pictures/videos) with good frequency.

Thanks for the feedback! Emi <3s you.

Reminds me a lot of the MEGA preview of Phantasy Star 4 back in the day, really like that you went with an older anime art style then a modern one.

Appreciate it! More info at www.capsuleforce.com!

We referenced a lot of classic space anime when coming up with the art style, sounds, and music. Lots of looking at crescent explosions, wall textures, and watching OG Dirty Pair! Music and sound was a whole other challenge with trying to mix the sounds of that era with the 16-bit graphics.

Top right with the full name underneath looks best to me.

Agreed. Top right.

agreed, top right, but I wonder if it'd be better if the insignia were bigger in relation to the text?

I agree, top right is the best. Jobbs might be right, though. It might even be better with a larger insignia and slightly smaller text.

I agree with everyone else - top right is my favourite. I think putting the two words on the same level, with a larger icon above, might look pretty good?

I just figured I'd chime in on what you already know by now! Top-right looks the best to me as well. :)
Just wanted to thank everyone for the feedback. You guys are the best. I agree that the icon should be a little bigger. ZehDon, we tried having the letters on the same level before. That was the original setup but since "bomb" is so short and "runner" is a longer word, it looked too far off when trying to center the icon above and at the gap in the words.

Since yesterday though, we've been busy with this 72 hour contest called Beneath the Surface. My partner was really exited about taking a break to do this so we're doing an underwater game where the point is to get to the bottom without hitting the walls too much. The challenge will come from the submarine thing controlling like crap due to a lot of drift. I'd like to have an enemy that you shoot with slow moving torpedos as well but we'll see.

How do people here get the word out about their games? We are getting a lot of positive response to our game, but would like to reach more people without being spammy or annoying.

I try to think about what kinds of things on social networks I skip vs what I find interesting and click. I'm trying to be more creative with reaching out:

Capsule Force Fan Site:

BlastGaming.jpg

Thoughts?
This is genius. The scan is even slightly tilted.
My first post in this thread, amazing stuff everyone!

BmK0rlSCcAADv8c.png:large

For #SSSaturday we shown the final version of the first map for our tactical with the all new graphical assets/tweaks.

https://twitter.com/ArsTacticaGame
YES!

cloudbot

Neo Member
Since yesterday though, we've been busy with this 72 hour contest called Beneath the Surface. My partner was really exited about taking a break to do this so we're doing an underwater game where the point is to get to the bottom without hitting the walls too much. The challenge will come from the submarine thing controlling like crap due to a lot of drift. I'd like to have an enemy that you shoot with slow moving torpedos as well but we'll see.

Reminds me a lot of the Earthworm Jim water level, "Down the Tubes"!

Razlo

Capsule Force Fan Site:

BlastGaming.jpg

Thoughts?

Love the magazine look, very authentic. Really great sprite work too!

I agree with you about having a hard time getting the word out too.

friken

Our team Ludum Dare game.... still in the works (have until tomorrow 8pm I think)

We are having a blast:

Video Link:

voiceover is my 7 yo daughter... she insisted the character be a girl heh. She also insisted on doing the grandpa voice.

I'm going back to the drawing board. Throwing out all art assets and starting fresh. We were going down the wrong path and had to stop and go back to the beginning. The game had some big issues:
1) It lacked identity. It was too generic. The revamped Rolan's Quest will look unique and fresh. Partly attributable to this was my earlier preference of targeting a resolution of 960x640. That was simply too much for the limited resources we had. Our start over is at a much lower resolution, looking at 384x216. This also fixes an aspect ratio problem, the new resolution is 16:9. As a result tiles will be much smaller and we can pump out sprites and tiled backgrounds much faster.
2) I've promoted one of my artists to Art Director. He will help define the new identity and make sure all art is consistent with the new style.
3) We're moving to a more Eastern style, close to Manga. This will aid in making the game more light-hearted, exaggerated, and fun.

I believe this is a move in the right direction, and something we needed now instead of waiting until it was too late. Sure, it throws a bunch of assets down the drain, but it's worth it. I have a feeling that some of you following my posts were thinking the same thing.

I hope to provide some concept art soon, and some time after that, screens :)

You've never played Earthworm Jim? You really should, it's a great game that can really inspire a lot of things.

A lot of...groovy things.

Earthworm-jim-groovy-snes-sega-game-13569044307.gif

Yeah, I've played EWJ, just never got to that part. The game never clicked with me overall though. The shooting was weird and that first level with the tires was a mess. His snapping his worm self as a whip was super short and didn't seem worth using. The animation was amazing though and Tommy T's music was great.

Amirai

I got a Non Indie FFT related question for you. Apexicon is made in Construct2 right? Are you experiencing any problems with the Node-Webkit exporter and random freezes that take about 2 to 4 seconds? Or did you get reports about that while testing the game? I assume you are using the lastest Construct2 version?

I'm currently trying to figure out a nasty freezing bug with my game and it's completely random when it happens. It's driving me nuts. It happens during the game and after the freeze the game continues like normal again. It doesnt happen in preview mode and only in the nodewebkit version.

It's being discussed on the scirra forums here: https://www.scirra.com/forum/two-node-webkit-problems-still-on-v-168-temp-freeze-fix_t95506

The problem seems to be with the versions after 8.6 of node webkit. For the moment, reverting to that by downloading it directly from the node webkit website and packing the app yourself is apparently the only workaround.

Anustart

Won't be able to this coming saturday, but the next, I hope to participate in screen shot saturday. Will be the very first look.

Will only do it if I get enough time to finish what I want to show off and not have it look terrible. But I want to!

missile

This was something I was hoping not to hear, but thanks for the honesty! For the in-game things planned but not there yet -- assuming they are done well would these things bridge the gap or are you seeing something else? ...
Can be bridged, for sure. What might perhaps be interesting is to slightly
change the in-game theme upon encountering a given race or while be in
contact with them, such that the in-game graphics gets coupled with the art
and mystical element of the races.

Nice find!

... Next step.. simulate the artefacts you get from recording video of a CRT :D
That's actually not a huge problem. Basically, the framebuffer is already a
recorder! It just needs to incorporate some specifications of a video camera
and record a scene from an angle and a certain distance. Sort of. The
artifacts will come naturally, esp. the color bleeding you see in the picture
you've posted. My engine already does it. Guess for example you have a cube
with a b/w checkboard pattern rotating in 3d at a certain distance. You will
see such fine stretches of red/green colors forming a moiré pattern. Quite an
important effect in bringing back the video to video games. The effect always
happens when there is a huge difference in luminance. Colored pictures will
sufferer from it as well yet slightly different. Unfortunately, I can't focus
on the 3d stuff yet. :| I'm burning for it to apply all the stuff to 3d. It's
going to look amazing, am pretty sure about it. In 3d the effects will rock
much more than in 2d, because in 3d the projected frequency of patterns
changes with distance easily. So given the cube with its checkboard pattern in
perspective view, the engine will also draw a very nice curved moiré pattern
onto the cube as well. And the pattern will move relative to the cube if the
cube rotates. Yeah ... that's video!

Am currently working on color dithering. It's a little bit more difficult then
just gray level dithering, because there is much more what can influence the
reproduction of shades to produce good color pictures esp. considering to
dither into fixed color tables. Color dithering is not only cool by itself, it
is also has a very important effect on the reproduction of the look & feel of
old-school video games. One will never get the old-school effect done right
while using continuous (24-bit) shades. Why? Well, the dither patterns will
smooth out under a CRT to some degree forming sort of a continuous tone/shade,
but the discontinuous nature of said pattern produce higher frequencies and
will as such produce interference which will influence the reproduction of the
intended color(s). The subtle way the colors of a pattern gets manipulated
(due to its frequency structure) by signal transmission/modulation and the CRT
can't be replicated while using continuous shades (24-bit). So that's a very
important characteristic of reproducing the retro look.

But razu, you know what's cool as well? To simulating the recording on video
tape, i.e. VHS, Betamax, and friends. :D That's not too difficult to realize.
So guess for example you have a playback/replay option in your retro game, you
will get to see the playback from tape. xD

scaffa

It's being discussed on the scirra forums here: https://www.scirra.com/forum/two-node-webkit-problems-still-on-v-168-temp-freeze-fix_t95506

The problem seems to be with the versions after 8.6 of node webkit. For the moment, reverting to that by downloading it directly from the node webkit website and packing the app yourself is apparently the only workaround.

Yeah i'm glad that there is a temp solution to the problem now. Ended up testing my game for about 15 hours yesterday and glad I finnaly had some good results at the end. I'm scaffa on that forum.

Magypsy

Ahm ... send the new footage, please. :)

Haha yes I should. We made this footage quite a while ago but the teaser had been hold off for a while as well. I'll post some new footage soon!

Nice concept. Hope you guys pull it off.

Thanks! It's been going good so far :).

Wow, super interesting concept. I'll keep up with this! Love my some asymmetric gameplay. :)

Thank you!

This looks really cool. The art on your site is fantastic

Thanks! I wish I could produce as good art as our artists (I'm not an artist ;-).

-Winnie-

Hi GAF!

I'm super excited to finally share the mobile game I've been working on! It's called Hazumino and it's out right now on iOS and Android!

FKbpXLW.png
GkMgMom.png

It's an endless runner mashed with a falling puzzle game (think Tetris). Control your runner on the left of the screen, and control blocks that come in from the right side of the screen to make platforms to run on!

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh4dHhNkDyw

I'd really appreciate if you guys could give the game a play and a nice big rating if you think it deserves it. ;)

We've got a Lite version and the full version which is 50% off for a limited time!

Links:
iOS Full | Android Full
iOS Lite | Android Lite

Hope you enjoy, and as always, any and all feedback is welcomed! :D

Oh, and I've got 5 codes for the iOS full version up for grabs, first come first served!

Bumping for the new page, since I've still got 2 more codes to give away. :)

_machine

Them mondays...

Despite getting a bit off track, we managed to create the last remaining necessary art assets and our only big remaining feature is hooking the customisation on to the working UI and include unlocking the items and we're almost ready for release. 3 more weeks of polish and our first real mobile game will be published on Android and WP8.

missile

razu

Can be bridged, for sure. What might perhaps be interesting is to slightly
change the in-game theme upon encountering a given race or while be in
contact with them, such that the in-game graphics gets coupled with the art
and mystical element of the races.

Nice find!

That's actually not a huge problem. Basically, the framebuffer is already a
recorder! It just needs to incorporate some specifications of a video camera
and record a scene from an angle and a certain distance. Sort of. The
artifacts will come naturally, esp. the color bleeding you see in the picture
you've posted. My engine already does it. Guess for example you have a cube
with a b/w checkboard pattern rotating in 3d at a certain distance. You will
see such fine stretches of red/green colors forming a moiré pattern. Quite an
important effect in bringing back the video to video games. The effect always
happens when there is a huge difference in luminance. Colored pictures will
sufferer from it as well yet slightly different. Unfortunately, I can't focus
on the 3d stuff yet. :| I'm burning for it to apply all the stuff to 3d. It's
going to look amazing, am pretty sure about it. In 3d the effects will rock
much more than in 2d, because in 3d the projected frequency of patterns
changes with distance easily. So given the cube with its checkboard pattern in
perspective view, the engine will also draw a very nice curved moiré pattern
onto the cube as well. And the pattern will move relative to the cube if the
cube rotates. Yeah ... that's video!

Am currently working on color dithering. It's a little bit more difficult then
just gray level dithering, because there is much more what can influence the
reproduction of shades to produce good color pictures esp. considering to
dither into fixed color tables. Color dithering is not only cool by itself, it
is also has a very important effect on the reproduction of the look & feel of
old-school video games. One will never get the old-school effect done right
while using continuous (24-bit) shades. Why? Well, the dither patterns will
smooth out under a CRT to some degree forming sort of a continuous tone/shade,
but the discontinuous nature of said pattern produce higher frequencies and
will as such produce interference which will influence the reproduction of the
intended color(s). The subtle way the colors of a pattern gets manipulated
(due to its frequency structure) by signal transmission/modulation and the CRT
can't be replicated while using continuous shades (24-bit). So that's a very
important characteristic of reproducing the retro look.

But razu, you know what's cool as well? To simulating the recording on video
tape, i.e. VHS, Betamax, and friends. :D That's not too difficult to realize.
So guess for example you have a playback/replay option in your retro game, you
will get to see the playback from tape. xD

VHS emulation, with wobbly sound, and Tracking Adjust, would be hilarious :D

Anustart

Anyone know why my Unity won't connect to the asset store? Unity says I'm offline when I'm online.

Unity isn't blocked in windows firewall, and I'm running #yolo style with no antivirus.

Anyone know why my Unity won't connect to the asset store? Unity says I'm offline when I'm online.

Unity isn't blocked in windows firewall, and I'm running #yolo style with no antivirus.

I've had that issue randomly crop up, and the usual way to fix it is to either close Unity and try again, or go to the Asset Store and try to "Open" some asset in Unity.

friken

Ok.... time's almost out and I'm too tired to do more. Final project submited for LUDUM DARE weekend jam. We had a blase. My 7 y/o daughter really really had a blast w the voiceovers.

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-29/?action=preview&uid=35030

WebPlayer Link:
http://www.gravityride.com/ShipMates.html

This is my 2nd jam and I learned a lot. Takeaways:

72 hours seemed like it would be way more than 48 of last time but oddly felt shorter.

My work style is to make it pretty as I go... that can really be hard on jams, Our controls I think suffered because I thought I would have enough time to better tweak the simple controls.

Voiceover work is tedious trial error.... thankfully my wife did most of it w/ my daughter.

A prep weekend would, or even 1/2 day would be great. We lost at least 1/2 a day on dumb setup things like getting Github working, differeing versions of unity between coders, too many team members popping in/out through the weekend trying to catch up w/ who is doing what etc.

I'm pretty happy with the result though... can't complain. It is playable, has a intro, 2 simple gameplay mechanics, ending sequence, voiceovers, music....good team we had :)

Nilaul

I finally got a really good idea for a game that insn't a zelda clone.

What I was thinking is to have an fps, where the whole world in constructed of cubes (like Minecraft or DotHeroes). The trick is that nearly everything would be destructible except for a one or two block types. What you end up having is a scenario where a player thinks his safe being on another floor or behind a wall, but ends up being blown apart by projectile coming from another player (projectile hits the blocks and ends up blowing them on to the opponent). Some blocks could collapse under players or vehicles.

I'm thinking of doing this in Unity; don't know where to start (FPS+PHYSICS+blocks). However I want to make sure this would run on the WiiU (1GB ram limit and dunno what else). The WiiU tablet would also open many possibilities in level creation and different multiplayer/singleplayer modes.

Lo_Fi

Hey everyone, I posted this in the Kickstarter thread, but I wanted to see what all you in here thought about it as well. We just announced a bunch of new stuff on the Four Sided Fantasy Kickstarter page. Check it out! http://kck.st/1jZ3Hmo

We announced new teammates, new rewatds, and we re-tooled the whole page.

Here's a new gif:
61KI0wN.gif

If you want to help spread the word, you can use this link: http://www.foursidedfantasy.com/ksshare

hitsugi

Hey everyone, I posted this in the Kickstarter thread, but I wanted to see what all you in here thought about it as well. We just announced a bunch of new stuff on the Four Sided Fantasy Kickstarter page. Check it out! http://kck.st/1jZ3Hmo

Here's a new gif:
61KI0wN.gif

If you want to help spread the word, you can use this link: http://www.foursidedfantasy.com/ksshare

I can't believe this hasn't blown up. I loved the fourth wall and backed this. Good luck!

Lissar

Reluctant Member
27179-shot0.png

My Ludum Dare 29 Jam game "Where Gods Sleep": http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-29/?action=preview&uid=27179

I did not actually think I would complete this because I've A. Been sick for months, and B. Actually abandoned my first project in the middle of the jam and started on a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAME. So I did this in a day and a half. But well, I completed it and even if I did not have a chance to polish it to my standards it's still a fine effort I think.

Enjoy! I'll make sure to come back and play everyone's Ludum Dare games once I... rest. Hahaha. I think I broke myself.

Donuts

Our team Ludum Dare game.... still in the works (have until tomorrow 8pm I think)

We are having a blast:

Video Link:

voiceover is my 7 yo daughter... she insisted the character be a girl heh. She also insisted on doing the grandpa voice.

Looks pretty sweet! So the final grandpa voice will be her right?

Anustart

Not much to go on, but my girlfriend whipped up some art to test some styles, and I'm really digging this look. I know it's just a single asteroid, but any thoughts? I'm liking it, but she's having doubts.

2XVCF1E.png

Here's a new gif:
61KI0wN.gif

that looks great!

Five

Banned
Not much to go on, but my girlfriend whipped up some art to test some styles, and I'm really digging this look. I know it's just a single asteroid, but any thoughts? I'm liking it, but she's having doubts.

2XVCF1E.png

I like the art. It doesn't look like an asteroid.

Its colors are too earthen, and its contours and crevasses look more like they were shaped by rainstorms or acidic substances than thousands of collisions with other heavenly bodies.

klaus

2XVCF1E.png

Rock-solid artwork I'd say. I like the organic feel it has and the atypical color palette.

Hi GAF!

I'm super excited to finally share the mobile game I've been working on! It's called Hazumino and it's out right now on iOS and Android!

FKbpXLW.png
GkMgMom.png

It's an endless runner mashed with a falling puzzle game (think Tetris). Control your runner on the left of the screen, and control blocks that come in from the right side of the screen to make platforms to run on!

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh4dHhNkDyw

I'd really appreciate if you guys could give the game a play and a nice big rating if you think it deserves it. ;)

We've got a Lite version and the full version which is 50% off for a limited time!

Links:
iOS Full | Android Full
iOS Lite | Android Lite

Hope you enjoy, and as always, any and all feedback is welcomed! :D

Oh, and I've got 5 codes for the iOS full version up for grabs, first come first served!

Either I suck, or this is quite a tough little game.
Are you planing a Vita version? I think that would control well.

Jobbs

Banned
Time to go back into user mode. :)

Ghost Song gameplay video is up. I decided against a tightly edited video, and instead wanted to show the game what it's actually like as one continuous take.

I've also finally added the game to Greenlight.

Steam Greenlight

Kickstarter Update

Youtube link

Let me know what you think, and I am aware there are currently a few ugly placeholder sounds and a couple of minor sound implementation issues (a few blips/sound slop). Please cut me a bit of slack on those, the sound implementation will be ironed out in the future.

cbox

Ghost Song gameplay video is up. I decided against a tightly edited video, and instead wanted to show the game what it's actually like as one continuous take.

Steam Greenlight

Kickstarter Update

Youtube link

Let me know what you think, and I am aware there are currently a few ugly placeholder sounds and a couple of minor sound implementation issues (a few blips/sound slop). Please cut me a bit of slack on those, the sound implementation will be ironed out in the future.

Really nice to see playthrough, love the atmosphere you created, nice work! I'll spread the word!

Steam Greenlight

Kickstarter Update

Youtube link

The game is looking fantastic; I'm loving the atmosphere, and the characterization is really well done. Were you doing the voiceover work for the second speaker as well?

Anustart

I like the art. It doesn't look like an asteroid.

Its colors are too earthen, and its contours and crevasses look more like they were shaped by rainstorms or acidic substances than thousands of collisions with other heavenly bodies.

I asked her for a more rough asteroid, as your point makes a lot of sense. Also, the glow won't be staying. I like the more subdued coloring in the first one, but this shape is closer I think.

Anustart

Having a bit of trouble with a raycast. On most objects it works fine, but seemingly on objects with a sphere collider instead of a box, there's only 1 pixel that will register a hit.

Edit: Probably because I'm using mousePosition and ScreenPointToRay, which means the ray is originating inside the sphere collider and won't hit it?

2nd Edit: Yeah that was it, but now my rays aren't shooting from the player to the mousePosition, it's way off, gotta aim no where near the object to hit it lol.

bumpkin

Super random question for everyone... When it comes to memory matching games (like the N-spade mini-game in SMB3), which is a better mechanism for high scores; time to match them all or an accuracy percentage at the end? I'm working on such a game for my iOS App, and I'm torn between which would be a better measurement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom