• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nasos_333

Here is a first early showcase of the action RPG i am making in Unity

714060635NasosArtngameRPG1.jpg

714060649NasosArtngameRPG2.jpg

These are very early and will get extra details, AA, blur in the back, SSAO, more shadows, glow effects, color grading (enchances contrasts and coloring) and god rays and of course 1.5-2 years of extra polishing :), since the game is far from the finish line

Here is a thread with more details and updates in Unity forums:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/my-rpg-work-in-progress-first-ever-pics.250300/

The game is single player, but since i have a party of 5 may add an option to control some of the rest with other sticks

The combat is real time, but will be very strategic and is a mix of action and tower defence

bkw

I was playing with Heathen Occluded shaders in Unity today that allow to see objects as ghost images behind obstacles and this was very relevant
Hmm.. I've never heard of Heathen Occluded shaders before, but was thinking about having that effect in my game. Thanks for bringing it up. =)

I have such a love/hate relationship with the asset store. You get access to so many cool things for cheap, but at times it feels like I'm piecing together a game with other people work than actually doing any work myself. It almost encourages me to be lazy, which bugs me to no end.

nasos_333

Hmm.. I've never heard of Heathen Occluded shaders before, but was thinking about having that effect in my game. Thanks for bringing it up. =)

I have such a love/hate relationship with the asset store. You get access to so many cool things for cheap, but at times it feels like I'm piecing together a game with other people work than actually doing any work myself. It almost encourages me to be lazy, which bugs me to no end.

I think you can achieve a good balance, for example i use around 50% ready and 50% my own assets for the game. Plus the 50% ready go under heavy changes to textures and particle effects are added on top to change the look, even completly in many cases

For systems i rely on ready ones as base, so i can save a lot of time and create what i need that will make a difference. This helps a lot to focus on the strategic side of combat for example, than reinventing everything from scratch. Helps a lot that the systems i use are compatible with my vision for the combat though.

Blizzard

Banned

To be straightforward, I avoid basically any tower defense game, but I wish you luck. :p

That said, I wanted to compliment this screenshot in particular. The autumn sunset colors combined with the blue and white sky are lovely. I am not sure if those are sparkles or stars in one part of the sky, but I almost think some stars would look beautiful in a surreal fashion there.

nasos_333

To be straightforward, I avoid basically any tower defense game, but I wish you luck. :p

That said, I wanted to compliment this screenshot in particular. The autumn sunset colors combined with the blue and white sky are lovely. I am not sure if those are sparkles or stars in one part of the sky, but I almost think some stars would look beautiful in a surreal fashion there.

Thanks :), glad you like it, also it is very early and missing most of the effects that will give the final mood (light rays etc)

The game is an action RPG, but the combat will have elements of tower defence, like you will need to prepare and strategize to beat the enemies, than just hack your way through

Imagine something how Plants vs Zombies mixed with Baldurs Gate would be in real time action game

The order to win battles is to first strategize, organize first casts to support the group and then start the action part (if monsters are not there yet) and hope your defences and support were done right

At that point, you get the normal action RPG, spell casting, sword attacks and unique powers for all group memebers, big bosses etc

It is not a tower defence game :)

That's looking really great nasos.

With VizionEck I'm bogged down with non game development atm. Just rendered a 15210 X 10800 image for marketing. Didn't crash, woohoo!

nasos_333

That's looking really great nasos.

With VizionEck I'm bogged down with non game development atm. Just rendered a 15210 X 10800 image for marketing. Didn't crash, woohoo!

Thanks :), i plan to show more when i get Unity Pro and finilize the effects. At that point i will show some points of interest too, like the lake behind that autumn path, cities etc. and characters in combat

Hopefully soon :)

Blizzard

Banned
screenshot_2014-06-17r1ap3.jpg

I finally got a more efficient pipeline for adding animations into my engine, and synchronized animations working between palette-swapped units colors. This shows units doing a synchronized attack, midframe. The spawning elevators now also properly spawn units of their associated color.

Of course, this is a contrived example since only one color would be attacking at once, but this is easier to see visually than a synchronized idle animation, unless I made a GIF. :p Next up I plan to make two other colors. I am thinking yellow and black might work and still be distinguishable for color-blind people. It may be a challenge to palette-swap, work for color-blind people, and still have everything look decent. I know that I could make the units slightly visually different for different colors, but if I do that it will be later on.

Jarekx

714060649NasosArtngameRPG2.jpg

These are very early and will get extra details, AA, blur in the back, SSAO, more shadows, glow effects, color grading (enchances contrasts and coloring) and god rays and of course 1.5-2 years of extra polishing :), since the game is far from the finish line

Here is a thread with more details and updates in Unity forums:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/my-rpg-work-in-progress-first-ever-pics.250300/

The game is single player, but since i have a party of 5 may add an option to control some of the rest with other sticks

The combat is real time, but will be very strategic and is a mix of action and tower defence

Looks interesting. The more RPG's the merrier, i say. :p

As for myself, I guess I'll need to start investing in capture software and find a better way to make gifs now.
DMthnbE.gif

GulAtiCa

Woo, my game is finally approved for Wii U! (ZaciSa's Last Stand, a Tower Defense game) I'm excited. Still waiting on confirmation for release date/price. I put in a request for July 3rd for $2.99.

I can try ! PM, what exactly do you want me to do.

Thanks! I already found someone though, but thanks anyways. :)

Monooboe

I've been wondering, is there a gameengine that lets you build ingame sort of like Minecraft style but in the purpose of building a game.

Eventhough it surely is faster to build with Unreal Engine and the sort but just being in in your own gameworld and just manually building a house block by block.

missile

Looks cool. Also, I remember you posting some gif of a cube rotating on what could be a Game Boy or TI screen with dithered shading. If you don't mind me asking, what reading materials can I study to do these kinds of downsampling?
Good question. Well, the net is full of dithering yet the information
presented on the net won't likely lead to any deeper understanding of it. And
many articles are just copies of one another. However, it may already suffice
for the task at hand, but going any further may require a deeper understanding
of the entire process. To tell the truth, halftoning/dithering is quite a
sophisticated topic at its core if you go beyond applying just some patterns.

So it depends. It depends on where do you want to go with all of this.

When dithering was a contemporary technique in the '80 there was basically no
internet to document it properly with respect to computer graphics and video
games. Game developers from the '80 have built special patterns to even adapt
to the antics of a CRT. But it's all lost. The are some scientific/technical
papers and books like the book of Robert Ulichney on Digital Halftoning which
is supposed to be the standard -- doing frequency analysis on many different
patterns etc. However, this technical stuff is mainly written with respect to
the printing process and not for computer graphics resp. video games/effects.
And often the process is just explained for black-and-white images. However,
this book is sort of a start to get to know about the issues/performance of
some halftoning techniques, but it won't talk that much about the basic
principles behind. Basically, the book tells how certain patterns are good, or
not, by applying some Fourier analysis onto them. Reading this book will give
you, for example, an explanation for the optimality (in a given sense) of the
Bayer patterns.

Well, after tinkering around with the topic and looking in many different
direction, I came to the conclusion that there is no cohesive treatment of the
topic for computer graphics (even not in Foley, van Damm, et al; "Computer
Graphics: Principles and Practice", which has just a small section about it)
or for video games/effects telling the core principles behind. But I've found
them out on my own. I've spent the time to studied the whole thing from
scratch. The knowledge gained will be a part of my Retro Engine. Basically, I
derived most of the old techniques from the '80 anew and have build new stuff
not shown yet. I could write an entire book about it, but I'm in a similar
situation like the devs from the '80; *all-in*. xD

As you see, it depends. If you just want to make some simple dithering, then
the information on the net is quite sufficient. But if you want to combine
different techniques knowing their strengths and weaknesses, you better dig
deeper. I will give you a hint for the latter; There are at least two
important ingredients for a proper understanding of digital halftoning. The
first lies in a proper understanding of the quantization process (independent
of any dithering technique whatsoever), i.e. in making a continuous quantity
discrete. I have given an easy explanation (about 8-16 pages back, I guess) on
how to model this process in one's mind by using a bucket analogy. The second
important ingredients for -digital- halftoning, which can be regarded as a
principle, is is the relationship between space and depths, or between
resolution in space and resolution in magnitude, or between resolution in
frequency and resolution in amplitude. The whole halftoning/dithering process
is a tradeoff between these two things with quite a lot of spice added to the
mix, i.e. of how to best spread the error, of funky rotated patterns/grids, of
hexagonal tiling, of tone-map correction, of human vision etc.

Lets give an example. Larger dither patterns, like for example Bayer's 16x16
for simulating 256 shades, are able to simulate more shades than a 4x4 one,
yet they trade-in resolution for simulating all these shades! You may say that
the image resolution will remain the same while applying a dither pattern
pixel-by-pixel, which it does using the standard ordered-dithering method of
applying a dither matrix for each pixel replacing it depending on the value
within the matrix used for making a comparison, but the effective resolution
(lines per inch) will drop nevertheless. You can make a test by taking an
image and dither it with a Bayer matrix of 4x4, 8x8, and 16x16 watching the
results. You will see that the resolution is worst on the 16x16 dithered
image, yet the simulated shades are best for this image! It is this principle
which will lead to many different (combined) halftoning techniques. So an
understanding of it is of utmost importance. And we haven't spoken about color
yet. Color dithering on palette driven devices (or simulations thereof)
requires an understanding of color quantization, yet it underlies the same
principles as all other quantization processes with a similar "spice-function"
as given earlier making it a subject of its own, i.e. there are good and not
so good color quantization techniques depending on how the quantization error
is treated and how the model best applies to human vision. The human vision
factor is quite important since you can save valuable bits in one direction
(color space) and use them to increase resolution in another direction. This
way you can gain a better dithered color images with the same amount of total
bits while viewed by a human. I think this technique was never applied in any
gif/png tool.

There are many more cool things to talk about, but this must suffice for now.
Time is up. I hope it helps! Dither for Life! :+

nasos_333

Looks interesting. The more RPG's the merrier, i say. :p

As for myself, I guess I'll need to start investing in capture software and find a better way to make gifs now.
DMthnbE.gif

Making proper videos is also one of my weak spots :)

I was trying to make a video for my Unity asset pack, to present some tutorials on setting up the effects and the result was blurry and rather bad using fraps, so i had to make prefabs and samples for everything. I still have not found a solution to do it proper.

nice! Playstation Mobile may be an option as well already since you are using Unity, so think about that since it's free and already easy to port over.

Thanks, I'll definitely look into publishing on Playstation Mobile. Honestly, I thought that was kind of dead, haha. It looks like it's alive and thriving, though.

commedieu

Banned
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but;

-- I just got into UE4. Is there a global flag to disable reflections in the build you create..?

OR

are shaders individually reflective. And I have to turn it off there..?

Thank you..

In the actors list (top right) search for 'post processing' to find the post processing volume. I assume there is only one. You can scroll through all of its properties (or filter) to change motion blur, vingetting, AA, etc.

To be clear its not a console command but a post processing actor in each level is the best way to control these things

Should have searched first. This is what I was looking for, and theres a u34 thread.

Dr.Hadji

Hey, can anyone point me in the direction of how to handle a decent amount of text in game maker? I'm familiar with the functions to call and display text from a file, I'm just a bit unsure how my simple method is supposed to expand into something involving the amount of text you'd see in LTTP (for example).

Early version of simple game i prototyped in phaser. BitBall.

http://codemusings.org/bitball/

I'd love some feedback.

I think it would be much better with a dual stick controller.

I think you're right on about it being better with a dual stick controller (more fidelity in aiming is needed). I got used to the wall bounces to rack up the score, but since I could only shoot in 8(?) directions a lot of the random(?) placement of the targets seemed impossible to combo with off wall bounces.

A small detail I did like, I liked how you can only shoot in the direction you're moving in. In your game's current form, there is no other elements that would factor into your character's spacing besides lining yourself up for the shot. Binding your movement to your shots gives a better focus to the challenge at hand. Must better than a shot that fires independently from how you're moving.

Five

Banned
Hey, can anyone point me in the direction of how to handle a decent amount of text in game maker? I'm familiar with the functions to call and display text from a file, I'm just a bit unsure how my simple method is supposed to expand into something involving the amount of text you'd see in LTTP (for example).

I've never done anything extensive enough to not hard-code it, but I'd think you'd just write an XML or TXT parser.

In any case, there's some more discussion on the matter here: http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=626785

Faerith

Neo Member
I'm currently working on a design for a simple inventory with a simple shop, turns out it is not simple to design it:
InventoryUI.jpg

Will have to work with mouse and gamepad. It is still a work in progress, critique welcome.

As -Winnie- already said, the shopscreen is hard to focus on, everything is just too busy and your eyes just search around.
Lesse... since I don't know the games mechanics (it's that nicelooking colourful "knight on a horse game', right?) , I'll have to go by assumptions.
I hope I understood the screen correctly... ^^
(Since it's nearly midnight I'll forgo a photoshop, pardonnez-moi)

Is the top left icon the current item-category? Maybe drop it and highlight the horse instead (&graying out the knight?) or swap their positions if they are 3D models,
since the horse&knight already take up space anyway und thus you could reduce the visual information onscreen a bit.

The items infotext seems random. Maybe put it to the right (top, see way below) of the shoplady, like a speechbubble.

Assuming the item changes stats, then the fat/thin -horse and knight bar are showing the changes and the apple and meat,
where the arrows point to, also symbolise that? In that case you have some redundant information,
I'd drop the two icons next to the cannon (and thus putting it inline with the other equipment), instead highligthing the bars where the power is changed- additonaly you could show the gained/lost amount by giving that part a different color.

Depending on the amount of shoppable items, you could also make the buyablelist horizontal (hello Shining Force ;) ), thus removing that empty space to the right of it.

Also, is that cannon already bought or not, as the moneyframe around it's icon might suggest so, but it's not in the list to the left and no cost is to be seen?

I hope above can be of some use to you. (and is not too confusingly written) ^^
Mainthing with UIs is to reduce visuell noise, give focus and visuell cues, and not to have redundant information. Iirc.

Lautaro

Mmm, I'm not sure if I should recomend you a GUI solution, 4.6. version may be close and the new GUI looks sweet.

Maybe a starter pack that is similar to the kind of game you want (make sure that includes code), maybe some models (characters and props), a GUI skin, there's also a huge sound fx collection for just 15/20 USD.... uh maybe I'm not the correct person to make recomendations haha.

Feep

Banned
Multi-level areas are such a pain with my weird layering nonsense, I'm having trouble with a floor people can go under correctly

But it's lookin' coooooool

Mission7.PNG

missile

I was playing with Heathen Occluded shaders in Unity today that allow to see objects as ghost images behind obstacles and this was very relevant

Could be very cool in an adventure game too, especially if you could highlight certain objects or reveal invisible parts inside the effect
Indeed. :+ Got an idea for using the window technique as debugging windows.
Guess for example you have a 3d scene fully shaded, yet you want to see a
wireframe (or whatever) of a selected part of the screen only, or for a given
object etc., with some debug data attached to it only seen through the given
window. The window may also be attached to an object tracking it etc. This can
be very useful for selectively debugging parts of the game/screen as they
happen without turning the whole screen into debug mode cluttering it! The
debug window can be moved as the game runs, or the game can be paused and
some detailed study can be made by placing the debug window where needed. Of
course, there could be multiple debug windows, windows showing different
content which may be stacked on top of each other to combine them. So a debug
window may have different layers each representing another view. A user-
defined rule can be used to combine the layers creating a very selective
debug view. Hey, this sounds awesome to me!^^

Love this one! :+ Do you make all of the assets yourself? Stated otherwise,
are you the only one working on this games?

Thanks! That really helps. I got some ideas how to do some really simple black/white dithering, but digital signal processing is obviously a glaring hole in my knowledge base thus far.
Dithering images is quite enticing, but for a better understanding one should
also try to dither in 1d which gives a better understanding of the
quantization process (see the bucket analogy) in manipulating the threshold.
Have you seen the dithered shaded spheres etc. on many of the old computers?
They were dithered line by line. Digital signal processing isn't so important
here. It is just used to judge and proof the quality/optimality of certain
techniques.

It also helps if you build (speaking about ordered-dithering) the patterns
yourself if you just started out on dithering, because the basic Bayer
matrices (looking like a pattern) are already combined patterns based on an
optimality theory. So instead of using a Bayer matrix right away, one should
build the patterns oneself for each quantization level (shade). This is a very
good exercise. One may sum those (sub-)patterns leading to a master pattern
(matrix) similar to Bayer, yet you will recognize that the resulting matrix
won't produce good shades as if the sub-patterns were constructed the way
Bayer did. There are some rules to follow constructing good patterns. However,
this isn't so much interest to us, since the construction process is what
counts, because it allows us to make artistic/arbitrary patterns. You may try
an artistic one by defining a few, for example, 3x3 patterns solely with just
a line in each pattern and assign them to a quantization level (shade). :+

It TOTALLY is! ^_^
Ouch!

nasos_333

Love this one! :+ Do you make all of the assets yourself? Stated otherwise,
are you the only one working on this games?

The assets are 50-50, some are bought in the asset store and some made by me in Blender and 2D software.

I am working alone generally, but a few characters come from a friend animator, for example the hero and some villagers. Also my brother is making the music, so lets say loosly that the team has 3 members :)

These pics are in paths and do not show any of my unique assets too, or have any of the final effects, so this is just a very early showing to share the general idea of the game, but the real progress is far ahead of what is seen in these pics :) in all regards, like graphics, creatures, combat, journal+spell book, story, art and details etc.

The whole world has been crafted too and all base monsters are in, besides some bosses. Most home insides are also finilized and unique to the faction the creatures that live there belong.

Now the focus is on combat and level design in combat areas

The asset store is a huge help, the fact that i am close to having a playable demo with the first few areas is largely due to the store helping with assets and code

Cru Jones

Early version of simple game i prototyped in phaser. BitBall.

http://codemusings.org/bitball/

I'd love some feedback.

I think it would be much better with a dual stick controller.

I would start with multiple goals on the screen at once. The fun part of this game is the comboing system. Get to it immediately.

Secondly, for combos larger than 2, give me additional time on the clock. This will make the player feel like they are in much more control over their high score and increase time spent playing.

Working on this boss. Not sure whether or not I want to spend the time animating the hands yet... He's about 12x the size of the main character, so I think the scale effect will feel great when you fight him.

OnUmwAn.gif

Ashodin

Working on this boss. Not sure whether or not I want to spend the time animating the hands yet... He's about 12x the size of the main character, so I think the scale effect will feel great when you fight him.

OnUmwAn.gif

Just having one or two fingers twitch would be pretty neat.

friken

I also love that screenshot. Very fantasy, colorful, cool looking. Nice work. I love tower defense games, though I've only ever gotten into the 2d types. I've fried a few that mix 3d 1st/3rd person and imo it has detracted from more than added to the fun of the genre.

Of course other's mileage will vary as there are a number of successful games that mixed genre w/ 3d 1st/3rd person gaming.

OnUmwAn.gif

lol... awesome :) Love the bloody nubs for the missing arms. What game is this for? link to any info?

lol... awesome :) Love the bloody nubs for the missing arms. What game is this for? link to any info?

Lol, thanks! It's for "Olympia Rising", a 2D action platformer I'm doing the art/design for. We had a successful Kickstarter back in February. KS page is rather outdated though...

There's a number of screenshots on the project's tumblr here: http://paleozoic.com/

KS page here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paleozoic/olympia-rising

That's really good! :D

Thanks!

missile

OnUmwAn.gif
Would animate the snake much more. :) Cool nevertheless!

... There's a number of screenshots on the project's tumblr here: http://paleozoic.com/ ...
Wow, lots of cool stuff over there! :+

Davision

Neo Member
I tweaked the Inventory more:
InventoryUI2.jpg

The biggest change is that the items are not anymore in this 3 slots arrangement, instead you can have 2 power up items at once with 1 active at a time and 2 food items at once with 1 active for the next ride. That will also make these context sensitive arrows obsolete since you only have to click on a item to switch it.
That shiny yellow slot with the cannon is the currently selected/mouseover slot which then also brings up the info text thingy at the top. If you have nothing with info text selected it should fade out.
That top slot is for the hats and you can choose there from a top down list when clicked on. The star just means that it is a legendary hat.
The lance and armour should wear out and you have to repair it, therefore those bars.
You have to keep your horse and rider fat but not too fat since they can starve to death and also explode, the bars at the bottom right show that.
All the gear as well as fatness is also shown on the character/s, they are then realtime 3d in that window.
On the left can be a shop depending if you are currently at a trader, they have a maximum of 3 random things. Shops are then of different types, planned are: Power ups (shown one), Food, Gear, Hats and Diamonds (for selling diamonds). On the left can also be a found treasure, so you can open it and add whatever is in there to your inventory.

The visuals look a bit too busy to me. I'm not really sure where I'm supposed to point my attention to because of all the information displayed at once. Maybe try a system where the game either puts focus on the shop or the customisation (by hiding/dimming the unused one), and you can toggle between them?

Hope that helps.
Yea, I guess I could fade it dark based on where you have the cursor or the gamepad selection. Will give that a shot when I have it implemented. You will always have the inventory on the right while the shop will be there when you are at a trader, that place can also be taken up with a treasure chest that you have found.

As -Winnie- already said, the shopscreen is hard to focus on, everything is just too busy and your eyes just search around.
Lesse... since I don't know the games mechanics (it's that nicelooking colourful "knight on a horse game', right?) , I'll have to go by assumptions.
I hope I understood the screen correctly... ^^
(Since it's nearly midnight I'll forgo a photoshop, pardonnez-moi)

Is the top left icon the current item-category? Maybe drop it and highlight the horse instead (&graying out the knight?) or swap their positions if they are 3D models,
since the horse&knight already take up space anyway und thus you could reduce the visual information onscreen a bit.

The items infotext seems random. Maybe put it to the right (top, see way below) of the shoplady, like a speechbubble.

Assuming the item changes stats, then the fat/thin -horse and knight bar are showing the changes and the apple and meat,
where the arrows point to, also symbolise that? In that case you have some redundant information,
I'd drop the two icons next to the cannon (and thus putting it inline with the other equipment), instead highligthing the bars where the power is changed- additonaly you could show the gained/lost amount by giving that part a different color.

Depending on the amount of shoppable items, you could also make the buyablelist horizontal (hello Shining Force ;) ), thus removing that empty space to the right of it.

Also, is that cannon already bought or not, as the moneyframe around it's icon might suggest so, but it's not in the list to the left and no cost is to be seen?

I hope above can be of some use to you. (and is not too confusingly written) ^^
Mainthing with UIs is to reduce visuell noise, give focus and visuell cues, and not to have redundant information. Iirc.
Always good to get someone else eyes on it! I hope the changes make it now less confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom