• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
3D action game

when is unity 5 being released?

Nobody knows.
We still have 4.6 to go somewhere "this summer"
(It was "this spring", but... they have 3 days left to achieve this, so...)

Has there been any word on how much the upgrade price will be from Unity 4?

My university is looking to purchase a Pro license, but they are hesitant to buy before Unity 5 releases because of that upgrade cost.

razu

Has there been any word on how much the upgrade price will be from Unity 4?

My university is looking to purchase a Pro license, but they are hesitant to buy before Unity 5 releases because of that upgrade cost.

Well...

"New customers can pre-order Unity 5.0 for $1500 and immediately get Unity 4.x."

http://unity3d.com/unity/faq

Major releases of unity are current for around two years, so that works out to be around $25/month. Not bad really.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Well...

"New customers can pre-order Unity 5.0 for $1500 and immediately get Unity 4.x."

Major releases of unity are current for around two years, so that works out to be around $25/month. Not bad really.

Right after I asked the question I realized I should have just searched for it, but thank you for the answer. I'll let them know about this.

DinkyDev

Neo Member
Well...

Your maths might be a little wrong there then. $1500 at $25/month is 60 months.

But yeah, it's still worth buying Unity 5.0 Pro now as you'll also have Unity 4 Pro for all the time until 5's release. So if 5.0 is around for 2 years, you'll also get now until 5.0's release which could be 6 months minimum... so 30+ months of Pro overall ($50/month).

Would animate the snake much more. :) Cool nevertheless!

Wow, lots of cool stuff over there! :+

Thanks! The snake's head is actually animated, he sticks his tongue out, just can't see it behind the hand in that position. The hands will be moving around as the boss attacks, so it should be visible while playing.

I wanted to keep the snake animations subtle overall, and more of an accessory to the boss as he isn't really an enemy in the fight and I'd rather the player focus on the boss himself.

What are you using to animate the sprite?

I use GraphicsGale for all of my pixel art and animation. It's my preferred app for pixel stuff. I like the animation tools a lot better than Photoshop's.

Working on this boss. Not sure whether or not I want to spend the time animating the hands yet... He's about 12x the size of the main character, so I think the scale effect will feel great when you fight him.

OnUmwAn.gif

That's looking really good.

He kinda reminds me of this guy from Titan Souls:

titan-souls.gif

HelloMeow

The swarming bullets appear to work. Maybe they are a bit too effective.

The bullets start out as non-swarming and when a beat occurs, each bullet splits up in a number of swarming bullets which home in on enemies. The amount of poofyness is also tied to the music. It should look very rhythmic when it's done. Lots of tweaking to do.

ibyHNwuq4zblIy.gif

Raonak

Banned
Forgot to check up on this thread!
Original Post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=113875003&postcount=13038

I've been really impressed with what you have done with this game in what seems to be a reasonably short period of time. Do you have a dev log that spans back to the start of it?
Thanks, it did take a few months of dev work for the original game, then what was essentially a week to get it working on android.

I have a blog here; http://dreammodule.blogspot.co.nz/
I switch back and forth between Nax of the Universe and my other project, super pokemon eevee edition so nax is currently on a haitus until i get the next beta(0.74) of pokemon out.

I have downloaded and tried it on my HTC Desire 310. It ran flawlessly.

I have to say, congratulations. The only problem with controls is switching weapons mid-combo, it gets a BIT hard with my mobile - maybe it can be accustomed to. Also, I can only imagine it being better on tablet-sized displays.
I still do not like your color scheme, but that is the only thing left for me to not like -everythings else is simply fun.
Also, what is MORE important: you made me enjoy a skill-based action game on a mobile phone, without buttons. That is simply a great achievement, and it inspires me to not hold back on mobile control complexity. Thank you!

thanks for the comments. Good to hear it's running well. Performance was my biggest concern, because solid 60fps is one of the main things that makes the combat feel good.

It surprised myself how well the game lended itself to the touch control scheme. It defintely gives me confidence that we can have complex touch based games that would appeal to the "core" gamer. Finding the balance between too simple and too complex is gonna be an interesting one. Less focus on virtual buttons, and more focus on tapping, swiping, multitouch- the strengths of the touchscreen is vital.

hey thats awesome - what are you using to develop if you dont mind me asking?
Game Maker Studio, with android export. It was shocking how good the android exporting worked. Definitely recommend it if you want to create 2D multiplatform games quickly.

Cool, pretty fun so far.

One minor control update which I think would improve the combat flow - interrupt the sheathing and resume moving if the player is holding a direction. (another option would be to allow the sheathing animation while on the move)

Referring to how it currently won't resume movement if the direction is held before the attack starts.
interesting suggestions, that's actually how it originally was, but it felt a little jarring, but I'll have a look at it again, since my initial problems originated with the keyboard lockon controls. So with the touch controls it might work a lot better.

Roubjon

The swarming bullets appear to work. Maybe they are a bit too effective.

The bullets start out as non-swarming and when a beat occurs, each bullet splits up in a number of swarming bullets which home in on enemies. The amount of poofyness is also tied to the music. It should look very rhythmic when it's done. Lots of tweaking to do.

ibyHNwuq4zblIy.gif

That's pretty awesome. If you don't mind, do you think you could elaborate on how you time things with the rhythm of the music? I was prototyping some stuff and the only way I thought of doing it was doing some math with clock ticks and the BPM of the music in order to set some timers that go off after a certain number of clock ticks.

HelloMeow

That's pretty awesome. If you don't mind, do you think you could elaborate on how you time things with the rhythm of the music? I was prototyping some stuff and the only way I thought of doing it was doing some math with clock ticks and the BPM of the music in order to set some timers that go off after a certain number of clock ticks.

I don't calculate the BPM or anything like that. I mainly look at peaks of different frequency ranges. It's based on this tutorial http://www.badlogicgames.com/wordpress/?cat=18&paged=3
If you reduce a song like that, you'll end up with some kind of array or list, where the index of each result can be used as a time stamp.

What are your opinions on Promoter? It's in the OP.

I set up the free trial the other day but it doesn't feel that useful. It only found 5 articles about VizionEck, even though through Google I can easily find loads more.

Ashodin

psyscrolr gif of dev

Showing off touch based gameplay changing the environment (very early)

CaUvpkN.gif

Getting a sick pixel artist to hyook me up with the gfx!

razu

Your maths might be a little wrong there then. $1500 at $25/month is 60 months.

But yeah, it's still worth buying Unity 5.0 Pro now as you'll also have Unity 4 Pro for all the time until 5's release. So if 5.0 is around for 2 years, you'll also get now until 5.0's release which could be 6 months minimum... so 30+ months of Pro overall ($50/month).

Ha, sorry! I first put the quote for the upgrade from 4.x to 5 as I thought that was the original question! That's $600, so that's $25/mo :D

Kritz

Banned
Trying to add a delivery mechanic to my stupid burger game.

First time working with HingeJoints and RigidBodies on bones.

Boxes spawning food when opened

My pro modelling skills provide photo realistic delivery trucks

And now my game looks like a disaster zone

Sometimes I wish I had the ability to just program a feature and have it work, though. I've always known about the 'first 90% is easy, the second 90% is hard' rule of game development, but I never imagined that rule applies to everything within the game, not just the game itself.

Five

Banned

Sometimes I wish I had the ability to just program a feature and have it work, though. I've always known about the 'first 90% is easy, the second 90% is hard' rule of game development, but I never imagined that rule applies to everything within the game, not just the game itself.

Aye, it's recursive. At some point, you have to draw the line and say "this is good enough". Maybe you have something presentable, maybe you learned something for next time, or maybe you just need to cut your losses.

I like how your game is looking, though. It's giving me something of an Octodad vibe.

Hey at least the awkwardness of the box unpacking looks fun.

Kritz

Banned
Aye, it's recursive. At some point, you have to draw the line and say "this is good enough". Maybe you have something presentable, maybe you learned something for next time, or maybe you just need to cut your losses.

I like how your game is looking, though. It's giving me something of an Octodad vibe.

The original pitch I had when I started was QWOP's obtuse controls + Space Team's gradually impossible multiplayer chaos + Cook Serve Delicious's business micromanagement. With a bit of inspiration from Spelunky's cascading object responses, where objects have very simple attributes that have the potential to interact with any other system in the game, usually to the player's own determent.

Meanwhile I look at my support forum and see a list of bugs I'm not currently fixing, along with the growing number of features I decide are "eventually coming". A few weeks ago I open up Unity and decide today's the day I was going to build a cash register so that players can actually remove money from the restaurant because people keep tweeting me stuff like this:

(which is hilarious)

I spawn a cube, I create a new script, I tab over to my website, and then spend 6 hours programming user accounts, a forum, a login authentication system and password recovery. I tab back into unity, and see this untextured cube, wonder what on earth it's doing there and delete it. At the least, I was procrastinating in a productive way. But at some point I really need to stop dedicating myself to every tangent of implementation and work on the broader problems for longer without getting stuck in with the specifics.

I guess that's just an experience thing, though.

JNT

Guys, I did a button! Don't laugh! xD
All the hard work is underneath. It's fully message driven.

MM0mkH3.gif

I remember a few years ago where I programmed a fully functioning GUI with windows, buttons, text boxes, check boxes, edit areas, and virtually any other control you can imagine. I feel your pain.

Roubjon

Right now I'm kinda familiar with GameMaker and have made some little things with it. I'm planning on making a 2D esque game. Would it be a good idea to switch over to Unity, or would GameMaker be fine?

cbox

I spawn a cube, I create a new script, I tab over to my website, and then spend 6 hours programming user accounts, a forum, a login authentication system and password recovery. I tab back into unity, and see this untextured cube, wonder what on earth it's doing there and delete it. At the least, I was procrastinating in a productive way. But at some point I really need to stop dedicating myself to every tangent of implementation and work on the broader problems for longer without getting stuck in with the specifics.

I guess that's just an experience thing, though.

That's not just with indie games. I had a habit back a few years ago where I'd spend hours on one design element, and then look at the rest of the project and it was unfinished or under worked. Took a while to learn that having a vision for the entire project and setting goals helps immensely.

nasos_333

Right now I'm kinda familiar with GameMaker and have made some little things with it. I'm planning on making a 2D esque game. Would it be a good idea to switch over to Unity, or would GameMaker be fine?

I would jump to Unity as fast as possible. The downside is that you may so many new opportunities open up that may cause a loss in scope.

On the other hand, there are so many ready tools to use to cover that new bigger scope that may actually require less work than not using Unity.

Gamemaker would probably be fine.

What do you mean by "2D esque" though? If it's going to have any 3D elements, then Unity would make more sense.

Blizzard

Banned

MM0mkH3.gif
I have buttons but none of the difficult controls yet like lists and edit boxes.

What framerate is your demo running at? The control is visibly lagging behind the mouse even in the GIF, but that could be related to the demo framerate or vsync. Also are you using a software or hardware cursor?

missile

I remember a few years ago where I programmed a fully functioning GUI with windows, buttons, text boxes, check boxes, edit areas, and virtually any other control you can imagine. I feel your pain.
For what, a game? Btw; What are you doing now (if you don't mind me asking)?
Indeed, a GUI has quite some damn fukkin development overhead. Thank for you
condolence! I appreciate! :) I could have done the button much easier, but it
wouldn't be as flexible as I want it to be. The GUI will be used for a game as
well.

I have buttons but none of the difficult controls yet like lists and edit boxes. ...
Me neither. Will do them as needed.

... What framerate is your demo running at? The control is visibly lagging behind the mouse even in the GIF, but that could be related to the demo framerate or vsync. Also are you using a software or hardware cursor?
Hardware cursor. The GUI is lagging a bit, indeed. Framerate is low. The
graphics runs on a device independent (software-) framebuffer which makes my
blitting functions a bit slow due to the overhead involved. I wrote such a
buffer to tinker around with different depths for dithering and playing around
with palettes etc. I basically imitated Windows 3.11 palette driven graphics.
This may seem quite odd doing so whereas the world is quite lucky leaving
palettes behind, but I have a strong need for it. Without doing any recording
the program runs at a suitable speed. Fixing the depth would increase the
speed quite a lot. And there is even hardware blitting available if I want to,
but as I said; pixel control above anything else. ;) This is primarily for
development. When one works with graphics/framebuffers having different
resolution in space and color, it becomes a bit annoying, indeed. But that's
the deal for playing with retro graphics -- it spans so many scales.

Cool sh!t, man! :+

V_Arnold

Missile, good luck with that GUI developing! I spent at least a month of my free time to get one working, only then to realize that I have no need for it yet, as my simpler games will have non-customizable, easily defined interfaces that need no unified GUI system behind them.

Let me tell you, that revelation was quite shocking to me. The prime example of overplanning a project.

And I had all that jazz. Recursive menus (infinite depth, yo), selective updating, layering....

At 3 AM last night we squashed our last bug and uploaded our game to Apple for approval. I don't really know what to do with myself today.

other than reinstall Dota

JNT

For what, a game? Btw; What are you doing now (if you don't mind me asking)?
Indeed, a GUI has quite some damn fukkin development overhead. Thank for you
condolence! I appreciate! :) I could have done the button much easier, but it
wouldn't be as flexible as I want it to be. The GUI will be used for a game as
well.

Yeah, that GUI was for a game (or demo really). I always get the feeling when coding GUI that most languages that I know fail to make such code elegant and readable.

Right now I'm working on a small game engine that I can use to kickstart small game ideas, kind of like Unity but much more rudimentary (that, and I like to be able to muck around in the engine code if need be). Planning on following up on my sparse voxel octree research later.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

This is already my GOTY 2014. Good luck!

Popstar

Looking at the terms of the Unity Asset Store it seems I could use assets acquired there for non-Unity projects.

Is this correct or have I missed a paragraph somewhere? I'd like to grab some stuff to help prototype.

Noogy

MM0mkH3.gif

Yep, people really don't appreciate the work that goes into UI stuff like this. Buttons, scrollbars, windows... lots of neat behind-the-scenes work.

Blizzard

Banned
One huge sprite lesson I'm learning, which admittedly should be obvious, is as follows:

If you are trying to do limited-palette sprites, with palette swaps planned, make sure that any non-limited-palette effects (reflections, glows, etc.) are separate overlaid sprites. I ended up making a simple animated reflection on one of my units, and then when I tried to palette swap it I realized I had a million colors to deal with, and even after swapping a bunch of those it's STILL probably going to look awful on anything but the original color.

Yep, people really don't appreciate the work that goes into UI stuff like this. Buttons, scrollbars, windows... lots of neat behind-the-scenes work.

UI is evil stuff.

Just making my RPG text window system to work the way I want it in gamemaker took me ages but is easily my personal greatest accomplishment

missile

Missile, good luck with that GUI developing! I spent at least a month of my free time to get one working, only then to realize that I have no need for it yet, as my simpler games will have non-customizable, easily defined interfaces that need no unified GUI system behind them.

Let me tell you, that revelation was quite shocking to me. The prime example of overplanning a project.

And I had all that jazz. Recursive menus (infinite depth, yo), selective updating, layering....
Sucks! xD Right. A general GUI isn't needed for most games and may also not be
what the gamer wants to play. xD My game Superstall won't need a GUI either,
but another one will (used as an in-game GUI), yet for debugging, as I wrote
recently, it may come in handy nevertheless. But the primary reason for doing
the GUI in question is for the RSA tool.

Yeah, that GUI was for a game (or demo really). I always get the feeling when coding GUI that most languages that I know fail to make such code elegant and readable.

Right now I'm working on a small game engine that I can use to kickstart small game ideas, kind of like Unity but much more rudimentary (that, and I like to be able to muck around in the engine code if need be). Planning on following up on my sparse voxel octree research later.
Sounds interesting. Which languages? So you want to go the voxel way, i.e.
represent geometry with voxels? Neat! Mind telling more about the engine and
stuff? Since you are interested in dithering and 3d. Did you know that you can
dither in 3d as well? :)

GUIs are so ubiquitous today that it's virtually impossible to win a single
dime if it hasn't the cooles effects ever seen. Luckily, I have some pretty
cool ideas on the shelf, graphically/physically wise. But not anytime soon.

What I find quite difficult is doing a GUI that isn't tied to a graphics
engine, game, program etc., is likewise small and efficient yet versatile
such that it can be reused virtually everywhere.

The Scrolr can now shoot fireballs. His main long-range attack!

H0BmXuV.gif
Reminds me on Mr. Microwave! :) :+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom