• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lo_Fi

So, a bit ago, I wrote about doing an iOS game, but I didn't have a mac.

So instead, I want to try making the game on android first.

I can't for the life of me get anything to show up on the phone.

I have the Android SDK on my computer, I have Unity Remote installed on my phone, and the Unity Remote plugin in my Unity project. I updated the drivers for connecting my phone to the PC.

When I press play in the editor and have the phone plugged in and the Unity Remote turned on, the phone doesn't do anything different. When I hit Build and Run, Unity can't find the phone (the computer can, though - I can go into the phone's folders, etc.)

Anyone in here have experience with making an android game in Unity? I would love some help.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Looking for some good written Unity tutorials for just starting out? I worked in Unity about 4 years ago to make a simple game, and I would like to relearn. Back then it had a really simple scripting language. I was wondering if it still has the same as Im not amazing at programming

EDIT: I want to start with scripting and playing around with movement before doing anything graphics wise.

Unity uses C#, Javascript, and Boo now. C# was the easiest for me to get the hang of, but Javascript is another great alternative.

If you have access to Lynda.com through school or something there are some nice Unity courses on there. One essential course and another advanced course that discusses scripting, along with others that focus on specific topics.

Otherwise Catlike Coding has some wonderful tutorials that discuss C# scripting. They are fun to work through, and he tries to explain the various concepts he's using in his programs. These are the tutorials that I used personally to get familiar with Unity.

Another resource that helps with learning the editor outside of scripting is the official tutorials from the Asset store along with Unity's YouTube channel. The Mechanim tutorial is great for learning about the animator interface, and the Stealth tutorial helps with learning about colliders and using triggers.

I've been learning Unity for ~2 months, so I'm still really, really fresh, but if you have any other questions send me a PM and I'll be happy to help out. Maybe I'll end up learning something from you as well.

So, a bit ago, I wrote about doing an iOS game, but I didn't have a mac.

So instead, I want to try making the game on android first.

I can't for the life of me get anything to show up on the phone.

I have the Android SDK on my computer, I have Unity Remote installed on my phone, and the Unity Remote plugin in my Unity project. I updated the drivers for connecting my phone to the PC.

When I press play in the editor and have the phone plugged in and the Unity Remote turned on, the phone doesn't do anything different. When I hit Build and Run, Unity can't find the phone (the computer can, though - I can go into the phone's folders, etc.)

Anyone in here have experience with making an android game in Unity? I would love some help.

When I'm building something for Android my process is this. It probably isn't the most efficient, but it works.
1. Switch platform in Unity build settings to Android.
2. Click "Build" and save it somewhere.
3. Copy the .apk and transfer it onto your Android phone. Somewhere that you can access it. (I usually put it into Downloads)
4. Navigate to the folder the .apk is saved in and open it. This will install the game or whatever and it should open. (You may need to enable the option to "Allow installs from untrusted sources".

If you run into issues with that, make sure that your Player settings within Unity are set properly for the company name and application name. ie: com.Example.ExampleApplication

As I said, this is probably not the most efficient way, but it's the way that has been working for me so far with testing.

edit: It looks like Unity has replaced their older Unity Remote application with Unity Remote 4 just recently on July 2nd. This might help you, and I'm going to learn how to use it instead as well since it seems to be more efficient.

http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityRemote4.html
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.unity3d.genericremote&hl=en

sn00zer

Unity uses C#, Javascript, and Boo now. C# was the easiest for me to get the hang of, but Javascript is another great alternative.

If you have access to Lynda.com through school or something there are some nice Unity courses on there. One essential course and another advanced course that discusses scripting, along with others that focus on specific topics.

Otherwise Catlike Coding has some wonderful tutorials that discuss C# scripting. They are fun to work through, and he tries to explain the various concepts he's using in his programs. These are the tutorials that I used personally to get familiar with Unity.

Another resource that helps with learning the editor outside of scripting is the official tutorials from the Asset store along with Unity's YouTube channel. The Mechanim tutorial is great for learning about the animator interface, and the Stealth tutorial helps with learning about colliders and using triggers.

I've been learning Unity for ~2 months, so I'm still really, really fresh, but if you have any other questions send me a PM and I'll be happy to help out. Maybe I'll end up learning something from you as well.

Thanks...I have some programming experience (barely) so these should help.... also have a legit copy of 3dsmax 6 and CS2.....ready to star making a game like its 2005

fuzzy_slippers

Neo Member
Two good sites for Unity tutorials are unitypatterns and unitygems. I've always been of the opinion that even if you have JS experience its a better idea to just dive into learning C# for Unity. Unity's version of JS called Unityscript has some limitations and is a bit wonky while C# is a great language. DotNetperls is also a good site for looking up C# concepts as they explain everything in very straightforward language.

missile

Nice. What platform is it designed in? Are you planning to sell it?
Language is C/C++, hence, no platform dependency. Will run almost everywhere
where you have a C/C++ compiler at hand or can inject/wrapper C/C++ code.
The question of selling the UI is currently undecided. It's an in-house
production to enhance the usability and development of our tools. Yet should
also be used for games. So there may be a need from other game developers
having such a UI at their disposal. Hmmm ... good question!

Kritz

Banned
I spent some time with your game, and in that time I managed to cook a bunch of items until they were completely black, punch the shit out of ingredients, cook money, put a rat in a burger, shove a customer completely out of the store, and watch a rat grab money and run out of the front door.

I think I just found my GOTY.

Ha, thanks for the kind words.

I'm happy because I'm at the point where people are occasionally posting really passive aggressive things on my forum telling me to fix my game, and I feel like I'm only a few months away from people getting violently angry. Which I think will be the point where I will feel comfortable calling myself an "indie game developer" instead of just "I sometimes make a game when not in dota 2". Despite not having earned a cent from my game. >_>

GulAtiCa

Just submitted a patch for my game. Includes bug fixes, improvements and new additions. Hope it is approved this time, I'd like to do a sale after it's patched.

I've also begin the process of getting my Wii U eShop game out in Europe. Though apparently that will cost me around $1000 combined for both PEGI & USK ratings (including bank fees)... Europe rating agency really needs to get with the program.... ESRB is free btw.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Just submitted a patch for my game. Includes bug fixes, improvements and new additions. Hope it is approved this time, I'd like to do a sale after it's patched.

I've also begin the process of getting my Wii U eShop game out in Europe. Though apparently that will cost me around $1000 combined for both PEGI & USK ratings (including bank fees)... Europe rating agency really needs to get with the program.... ESRB is free btw.

$1000 for ratings?? As a poor indie guy, screw that.

Blizzard

Banned

It's neat to hear your progress. I hope to join you some day in actually selling a game. :) I didn't know about the Europe rating cost, ouch.

Ha, thanks for the kind words.

I'm happy because I'm at the point where people are occasionally posting really passive aggressive things on my forum telling me to fix my game, and I feel like I'm only a few months away from people getting violently angry. Which I think will be the point where I will feel comfortable calling myself an "indie game developer" instead of just "I sometimes make a game when not in dota 2". Despite not having earned a cent from my game. >_>
Just make sure to create a Twitter account so you can post ill-advised political opinions and angry responses about random game things. :p

Mr. Virus

4eVS1bF.gif

We're currently getting the procedural generation working with the cargo hold on Monstrum. Looks not too bad so far, still need to populate the containers with stuff :).

JulianImp

It's always nice to see you guys and the progress you've been making. Keep it up, everyone!

Last Friday I received a reply from the TGS staff telling me I wasn't selected for a full-paid spot at the indie sector, so I'm now inquiring into getting a paid spot. With less than two months remaining before the event, I've been focusing more on making arrangements than working on Quark Storm, sadly.

I'm currently researching if I can get a company spot through the game workshop I'm attending while budgeting my travel expenses, mostly regardng whether I can get any kind of government support either as funding or tax relief for purchasing a spot at TGS (which would cost $999 if I manage to get through as an individual, or $2,000-3,000 otherwise). Needless to say, my third world country wallet gently weeps as my budget slowly approaches most of what I've been saving up ever since I started working.

So... this is what crunch time feels like, huh? I can't say having to juggle planning for the trip and actually getting stuff done for the game feels good, but I'm seriously hyped for the results I might be able to reap from doing all this.

kiguel182

So, I'm making a simple 2D space shooter and I'll be using Unity. I have some assets created and now I need to learn how to use Unity to start building up the game and start designing it in detail.

I did the first Unity tutorial just to learn the basics of the interface and I was wondering if anybody knew of a tutorial that focused on 2D mechanics and the genre I'm going to be making. Something that touched on the basics and focused on that.

Any suggestions would be great! I'll be posting a mock up of how I want the finish game to work too soon just to show my work some time soon. It's nice to have a place like this to share our work.

Granadier

So, I'm making a simple 2D space shooter and I'll be using Unity. I have some assets created and now I need to learn how to use Unity to start building up the game and start designing it in detail.

I did the first Unity tutorial just to learn the basics of the interface and I was wondering if anybody knew of a tutorial that focused on 2D mechanics and the genre I'm going to be making. Something that touched on the basics and focused on that.

Any suggestions would be great! I'll be posting a mock up of how I want the finish game to work too soon just to show my work some time soon. It's nice to have a place like this to share our work.

What concepts specifically are you trying to grasp?

PixelNest have a great 2D shooter tutorial (and another one that goes deeper into animations that expands upon that project).

Missed out on Screenshot Saturday so I thought I'd hop in here and post some GunWorld GIFs.

Still in Pre-Alpha, things are coming along nicely as we finalize a lot of the core mechanics of the game. Wanted to show a few of the new weapons we've been testing.

OUmnJlq.gif

This is the Torpeagle Rifle (Torpedo X Eagle). It fires a homing beacon dart that summons a glorious Bald Eagle that explodes on impact, creating a destructive rain of patriotic fireworks. It's super powerful but features a long delay between trigger and impact, and can also cause damage or death to the player if used improperly.

TPr2IZF.gif

This is the Back-A-Pack-A-Pult, a portable Grenade Catapult. Using the D-Pad you can switch between a high or low arc. It's another relatively powerful weapon that requires some tricky precision, but the pay off is pretty high.

JBjuoEE.gif

This shows our screen scrolling transitions between loading zones. Trying to nail that NES feel, we specifically tried to replicate Mega Man for these transitions.

It's been a blast to work on and we have some really cool stuff coming in the next few weeks. I'm excited to show it off when we actually have final background art and more final visual elements.

Missed out on Screenshot Saturday so I thought I'd hop in here and post some GunWorld GIFs.

Still in Pre-Alpha, things are coming along nicely as we finalize a lot of the core mechanics of the game. Wanted to show a few of the new weapons we've been testing.

OUmnJlq.gif

This is the Torpeagle Rifle (Torpedo X Eagle). It fires a homing beacon dart that summons a glorious Bald Eagle that explodes on impact, creating a destructive rain of patriotic fireworks. It's super powerful but features a long delay between trigger and impact, and can also cause damage or death to the player if used improperly.

TPr2IZF.gif

This is the Back-A-Pack-A-Pult, a portable Grenade Catapult. Using the D-Pad you can switch between a high or low arc. It's another relatively powerful weapon that requires some tricky precision, but the pay off is pretty high.

JBjuoEE.gif

This shows our screen scrolling transitions between loading zones. Trying to nail that NES feel, we specifically tried to replicate Mega Man for these transitions.

It's been a blast to work on and we have some really cool stuff coming in the next few weeks. I'm excited to show it off when we actually have final background art and more final visual elements.
Day 1, in my veins, day 0, etc.

Anyone that could help me out with some troubles I'm having with an alpha I'm making in GameMaker: Studio right now?

I need to have it so that way when three keys (or, heck, even two keys, but right now I want to account for three keys) then the sprite is changed back to its original position and the sounds stop.

Here's my script, if this will help anyone:

Code:
if(keyboard_check(ord("W")) && keyboard_check(ord("S")) && keyboard_check(ord("X"))) {
    sprite_index=barbershop_guy;
    sound_stop_all();
}

Saw some examples that were sort of what I needed online, but it hasn't worked thus far, and any help on if I'm going in the right direction or not would be appreciated. Thanks!

Anyone that could help me out with some troubles I'm having with an alpha I'm making in GameMaker: Studio right now?

I need to have it so that way when three keys (or, heck, even two keys, but right now I want to account for three keys) then the sprite is changed back to its original position and the sounds stop.

Here's my script, if this will help anyone:

Code:
if(keyboard_check(ord("W")) && keyboard_check(ord("S")) && keyboard_check(ord("X"))) {
    sound_stop_all();
}

Saw some examples that were sort of what I needed online, but it hasn't worked thus far, and any help on if I'm going in the right direction or not would be appreciated. Thanks!

It's hard to say without really pouring through all of your code. One thing that really helps is to create variables for your key inputs, and place them in the beginning of the step event of your object. Something like.

Code:
 moveleft = keyboard_check(ord("A")

It makes it much easier to call upon later, because you simply have to put...

Code:
 if moveleft { then w/e }

Have you tried using keyboard_check_direct ? There might be something else in your code that is making the conflict happen, but you should be close with what you have.

It's hard to say without really pouring through all of your code. One thing that really helps is to create variables for your key inputs, and place them in the beginning of the step event of your object. Something like.

Code:
 moveleft = keyboard_check(ord("A")

It makes it much easier to call upon later, because you simply have to put...

Code:
 if moveleft { then w/e }

Have you tried using keyboard_check_direct ? There might be something else in your code that is making the conflict happen, but you should be close with what you have.

Well I'm just using GameMaker: Studio so a lot of it is the drag n' drop create events type of stuff.

So it's basically, press the W key, and have the sprite switch/sound play, and then the same for S and X, and then when you let go of them, the sprite reverts to its original, neutral sprite, and sound stops.

So basically, I'm aiming that when 2 or more of those keys are pressed, then the sprite doesn't change and no sound happens, because right now it just makes some ungodly sound when you press 2 or more

Well I'm just using GameMaker: Studio so a lot of it is the drag n' drop create events type of stuff.

So it's basically, press the W key, and have the sprite switch/sound play, and then the same for S and X, and then when you let go of them, the sprite reverts to its original, neutral sprite, and sound stops.

So basically, I'm aiming that when 2 or more of those keys are pressed, then the sprite doesn't change and no sound happens, because right now it just makes some ungodly sound when you press 2 or more

You're going to want to wean yourself off the drag n drop features in GM:S as soon as you feel comfortable, they really hinder your game more than they help. Used sparingly they are great, but they are no substitute for using GML.

Try something like this. In the Step Event of your object, create the following variables (name them whatever makes sense, out of context I'm not sure what to call them).

Code:
Key_W = keyboard_check_direct(ord("W")
Key_S = keyboard_check_direct(ord("S")
Key_X = keyboard_check_direct(ord("X")

This will be how the rest of your code knows if you're using these keys. Based on your description I'm not sure if you already have something telling the sprite to change when no keys are being pressed.

Then you can try something like the following.

Code:
 if Key_W 
{
   //Do w/e W does
}

if Key_S
{
  //Do w/e S does
}

if Key_X
{
  //Do w/e X does
}

if (Key_W and Key_S and Key_X) or if !(Key_W and Key_S and Key_X)
{
  sprite_index = barbershop_guy;
  audio_stop_all();
}

That Exclamation Point means not, so the bracketed code should take place if you are pressing all three keys or if you are not pressing any of the three keys. I think you should also be using audio_stop_all, not sound.

Hope that points you in the right direction.

You're going to want to wean yourself off the drag n drop features in GM:S as soon as you feel comfortable, they really hinder your game more than they help. Used sparingly they are great, but they are no substitute for using GML.

Try something like this. In the Step Event of your object, create the following variables (name them whatever makes sense, out of context I'm not sure what to call them).

Code:
Key_W = keyboard_check_direct(ord("W")
Key_S = keyboard_check_direct(ord("S")
Key_X = keyboard_check_direct(ord("X")

This will be how the rest of your code knows if you're using these keys. Based on your description I'm not sure if you already have something telling the sprite to change when no keys are being pressed.

Then you can try something like the following.

Code:
 if Key_W 
{
   //Do w/e W does
}

if Key_S
{
  //Do w/e S does
}

if Key_X
{
  //Do w/e X does
}

if (Key_W and Key_S and Key_X) or if !(Key_W and Key_S and Key_X)
{
  sprite_index = barbershop_guy;
  audio_stop_all();
}

That Exclamation Point means not, so the bracketed code should take place if you are pressing all three keys or if you are not pressing any of the three keys. I think you should also be using audio_stop_all, not sound.

Hope that points you in the right direction.

Yeah, I know coding basics, but was doing this to try and get something up and running when I could. So I just make a brand new script and put all of that in and the script will just run as soon as I fire the game up to test it? That's the main thing I haven't been sure about-- whether or not I have to do anything special with a script after I make it/save it. And thanks for the help! I'll get working on this part.

Yeah, I know coding basics, but was doing this to try and get something up and running when I could. So I just make a brand new script and put all of that in and the script will just run as soon as I fire the game up to test it? That's the main thing I haven't been sure about-- whether or not I have to do anything special with a script after I make it/save it. And thanks for the help! I'll get working on this part.

If the code is in the step event, it will run during every frame of your game.

Well, got rid of the original drag and drop events and made a script to encompass both the button variables, what to do when they're pressed, and what to do in event of multiple buttons being pressed, which I have here:

Code:
High_Note = keyboard_check_direct(ord('W'))
Neutral_Note = keyboard_check_direct(ord('S'))
Low_Note = keyboard_check_direct(ord('X'))

if High_Note {

audio_play_sound(barbershop_high_note, 10, true);
sprite_index=barbershop_note1;
}

if Neutral_Note {

audio_play_sound(barbershop_neutral_note, 10, true);
}

if Low_Note {

audio_play_sound(barbershop_low_note, 10, true);
}

if (High_Note and Neutral_Note and Low_Note) {

audio_stop_all();

}

if !(High_Note and Neutral_Note and Low_Note) {

audio_stop_all();

}

But now nothing is working :( Anyone have any knowledge of what could be happening?

EDIT: Upon trying to take out all that drag and drop code from my game, I'm completely lost on how to even go from the title screen to the main game from pressing enter. I get that I have to use Begin Step and Step, but from there I'm more or less clueless :\

Anyone here have experience with mocap through the Kinect?

I'm trying to learn how to use it for some animation, but have been running into dead ends with drivers, Maya, MotionBuilder, and the like.

Attempting Unity integration at the moment.

Yes, with Kinect for 360.
The animations captured need lots and lots of clean up. Your characters will look like they're dealing wiht a 6.5 earthquake as they walk, etc.
I suppose they'd be OK for prototyping but final quality? No way.

Granadier

Yes, with Kinect for 360.
The animations captured need lots and lots of clean up. Your characters will look like they're dealing wiht a 6.5 earthquake as they walk, etc.
I suppose they'd be OK for prototyping but final quality? No way.

What was your workflow when dealing with the motion capture through the Kinect?

I've gotten it to work through proof of concept, but it's very crude. I haven't had much success translating it onto my personally rigged models.

wondermega

just realized I have been working on Blast Rover for TWO YEARS. My sincerest apologies to my partner(s). Art takes awhile!

Putting the finishing touches on the final assets tonight, and then I'll send out builds to some testers this week. I am amazed to think that this could finally be up for download within weeks, at last.

I still just chill out and play it for a few long sessions in the wee hours, now and again - it's so gratifying to be at this stage where all these wonderful pieces have come together (level design, control, music & sound FX, art) and just sit back and say "we made this thing and I am very proud of it"

whiteape

I have a game where a character transformed into a line. I would like to name that game "stroked" but i don't know if native english speakers would understand it that way i would like. Can some american guy here tell me his opinion? :)

Well, got rid of the original drag and drop events and made a script to encompass both the button variables, what to do when they're pressed, and what to do in event of multiple buttons being pressed, which I have here:

Code:

if High_Note {

}

if Neutral_Note {

}

if Low_Note {

}

audio_stop_all();

}

audio_stop_all();

}

But now nothing is working :( Anyone have any knowledge of what could be happening?

EDIT: Upon trying to take out all that drag and drop code from my game, I'm completely lost on how to even go from the title screen to the main game from pressing enter. I get that I have to use Begin Step and Step, but from there I'm more or less clueless :

Your code looks right, what is the code for your title screen? When making major changes you should always back up in case something goes wrong.

If you haven't done so, the code for changing rooms is room_goto("room"). Put that in your Enter command code.

A lot of this is pretty basic GML, if you're having trouble i would highly recommend running some of these tutorials http://m.youtube.com/user/999Greyfox

The guy is really thorough and helps a lot of new coders understand the basics. His videos might not match your game but you can repurpose the stuff you learn, it should really help you out.

I have a game where a character transformed into a line. I would like to name that game "stroked" but i don't know if native english speakers would understand it that way i would like. Can some american guy here tell me his opinion? :)

Stroked puts me more towards a stroke of line thickness. I'll lend you some free naming:

-Aline (play off of align)
-Lined
-Linearmorphosis
-Linear

Boom, ship it

Stroked puts me more towards a stroke of line thickness. I'll lend you some free naming:

-Aline (play off of align)
-Lined
-Linearmorphosis
-Linear

Boom, ship it

I'm on the opposite end, where I think Stroked is perfect. When drawn, a line is a stroke. Stroke doesn't have anything to do with thickness, thickness has to do with thickness.

I do like a few of your name suggestions though, I just wouldn't write off Stroked, I think it's fine.

kiguel182

What concepts specifically are you trying to grasp?

Just the basics of Unity so far. I would just rather learn them using the 2D tools of Unity instead of the 3D ones most tutorials I've found focused on.

I'm doing the shooter tutorial on the Unity website but that one uses 3D stuff so I was looking for something similar but 2D only.

PixelNest have a great 2D shooter tutorial (and another one that goes deeper into animations that expands upon that project).

I'll search for it. Thanks!

Ydahs

Not really gaming related, but I just realized Unity uses reflection to call Monobehaviour Message methods (Awake, Update, Start, etc.).

Pretty cool. No idea why it didn't occur to me before, since I've never had to write override or new when declaring those standard methods. Actually makes me want to try and port my WIP Python web framework over to C# or Java with the use of reflection...

missile

7sVWuS2.gif

Some more progress ... leading me to believe I haven't wasted the last few
hours. xD I've tinkered around with mouse message a bit more. The indicator
fields within the I/O mouse window (letters: (L)eftbutton, (M)iddlebutton,
(R)ightbutton, (D)ragging, (M)oving) do listen to mouse messages getting send
through the system. They light up if a mouse message of the respective kind is
caught. I also implemented some unusual mouse messages, like for example
mouse-{moveBegin, moveEnd, moveIdle}. So a UI element can react to when the
mouse is set in motion, is stopped, or is at rest.

Granadier

Just the basics of Unity so far. I would just rather learn them using the 2D tools of Unity instead of the 3D ones most tutorials I've found focused on.

I'm doing the shooter tutorial on the Unity website but that one uses 3D stuff so I was looking for something similar but 2D only.

I'll search for it. Thanks!

A lot of the "2D" stuff with Unity is just made by ignoring the Z axis. FYI.

Code:

if High_Note {

}

if Neutral_Note {

}

if Low_Note {

}

audio_stop_all();

}

audio_stop_all();

}

EDIT: Upon trying to take out all that drag and drop code from my game, I'm completely lost on how to even go from the title screen to the main game from pressing enter. I get that I have to use Begin Step and Step, but from there I'm more or less clueless :

I don't use Gamemaker, but it looks like this statement will always pause your audio if all three keys aren't being pressed:

if !(High_Note and Neutral_Note and Low_Note) { sprite_index=barbershop_guy; audio_stop_all();

Sorry to randomly butt in!

JulianImp

But don't they have specific 2D tools? Like a 2D rigidbody for example? Or do they just work the same?

There's a set of 2D components, such as Sprite, Rigidbody2D and lots of 2D colliders. You should remember they can't collide with 3D objects, though. I believe 2D physics use Box2D or some other kind of physics engine that differs from PhysX, which is used for 3D stuff.

Also, you should be aware that OnCollision/Trigger events are used for objects with 3D physics components, while OnCollision2D/Trigger2D events are only called for 2D objects.

Your code looks right, what is the code for your title screen? When making major changes you should always back up in case something goes wrong.

If you haven't done so, the code for changing rooms is room_goto("room"). Put that in your Enter command code.

A lot of this is pretty basic GML, if you're having trouble i would highly recommend running some of these tutorials http://m.youtube.com/user/999Greyfox

The guy is really thorough and helps a lot of new coders understand the basics. His videos might not match your game but you can repurpose the stuff you learn, it should really help you out.

I don't use Gamemaker, but it looks like this statement will always pause your audio if all three keys aren't being pressed:

Sorry to randomly butt in!

Thanks guys!

My next room code is as follows:

Code:
if keyboard_check_direct(enter) {
room_goto("room1");
}

and my quit game code is:

Code:
if keyboard_check_direct(ord(escape)) {
    game_end();
}

Which I currently have as scripts, alongside the other one, which encompasses the button presses and all of that. Now it's just a matter of correctly figuring out WHERE to put these scripts and that's the part I was having a bunch of trouble with last night.

Edit: For example, putting both of those as scripts, and executing the scripts on the title screen to go to the next room, I end up getting an execution error when I start up the game.

of Step Event0
for object title_screen_obj:

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get -1.enter(100004, -1)
at gml_Script_next_room (line 1) - if keyboard_check_direct(enter) {
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Script_next_room (line 1)
called from - gml_Object_title_screen_obj_StepNormalEvent_1 (line 1) - next_room();

Oh the troubles of making games ;_;

Edit 2: It's basically when I connect any code to anything whether in form of script or code to execute I get that type of error.

Blizzard

Banned
On the internet, I would say it may sound a little inappropriate, so you might want to go with the "line" related name options.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Any good reading on damage formulas? Articles, talks, etc. I'm working on some details on a game, but the scaling of stats is....Tough to wrap my head around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom