• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timeaisis

Some new M@MM screens of the Kitchen:

MCuy2Pj.png

bk5EPaV.png

C1b1lDw.png

Textures not final and neither is lighting.

kiguel182

There's a set of 2D components, such as Sprite, Rigidbody2D and lots of 2D colliders. You should remember they can't collide with 3D objects, though. I believe 2D physics use Box2D or some other kind of physics engine that differs from PhysX, which is used for 3D stuff.

Also, you should be aware that OnCollision/Trigger events are used for objects with 3D physics components, while OnCollision2D/Trigger2D events are only called for 2D objects.

So, the main part of it, is using the 2D labeling components, that work similar to the 3D ones and not mixing them up. Thanks for the help.

Also, to import 2D objects, can I simply import a PNG and then use a 2D rigidbody and collider?

There are quite a few tutorial videos centered on 2D on Unity's YouTube channel as well.

Thanks, I'll search for them after I finish this one I'm doing now.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Decided to share my top notch animation with the world!

aIz02um.gif

Yep, top notch alright :p

This is the animation that will play when the character kills the monster that drops the level key required to continue to the next level in my game Deadly Dungeoneers. It might be 30 years from now, but this game will be completed by god!

anthn

rocket_turret.gif

Here's a GIF of a Rocket Turret from Turnover. Also, I'm relaunching my KickStarter campaign for Turnover next Wed. 7/30. This stuff is so nerve wracking to me for some reason.

Hello, I recently acquired a computer for a better management of open gl.
I will probably make a video soon.

590425zoneA01b.gif
975459zoneA02b.gif

Are you making the engine for this?

I'm considering moving over to Unity after GunWorld is complete, but want to continue making side scrollers. The artist on my team went to school specifically for 3D animation so we'll be using 3D assets for the next game and Unity is really well supported.

Does anyone have any good suggestions on where to start if you're brand new to Unity? My coding experience is limited to GML as it's all I've used for years, but my level of GML understanding and use is quite high. Hopefully that makes jumping to a "real" language easier. I generally don't do anything in GM:S using drag and drop.

JulianImp

So, the main part of it, is using the 2D labeling components, that work similar to the 3D ones and not mixing them up. Thanks for the help.

Also, to import 2D objects, can I simply import a PNG and then use a 2D rigidbody and collider?

You can import graphics as single sprites or sprite sheets. Sprite sheets can be sliced automatically, by grid or manually using Unity's spritesheet managing tools (you have to mark a sprite texture with Sprite Mode: Multiple to use the Sprite Editor on it).

To create a sprite on the screen, the simplest way is to take one from the Asset viewer and drag it into the scene. After that you can add colliders and rigidbodies to it normally.

You can also use 3D primitives in your scenes without any issues if you want to, but you'll have to give them 2D colliders if you want them to interact with physics objects or be physics objects themselves (remember that they'll move as if they were 2D in that case).

Also, stuff such as 2D Edge and Polygon colliders are really useful, but so far I've learned that EdgeCollider2D's edge data (which is a list of coordinates it links to create the collider) can only be modified by right clicking on the inspector rab (right where it says "Inspector") and select Debug from the options. That inspector mode exposes private variables, so you can mess with the edge's vertex list to your heart's content, which is exactly what I did for my game's levels, but be sure to switch it back to the regular inspector afterwards because some things are a bit harder to mess with while in debug mode.

EDIT: @superNESjoe: You should try looking up JavaScript C# and Boo to see which one you like the most. I'm partial to C#, because it relies on explicit variable types and also looks quite a bit like GML.

EDIT: @superNESjoe: You should try looking up JavaScript C# and Boo to see which one you like the most. I'm partial to C#, because it relies on explicit variable types and also looks quite a bit like GML.

I dabbled in entry level C# a few years back for XNA. I'll likely look into that.

Guys please don't direct anyone to UnityScript or Boo. C# and that's it for Unity.

Reasons:

1) C# carries over to other places
2) UnityScript has lots of problems, is inconsistent, has worse performance
3) Unity is moving away from it (all new tutorials are in C#)
4) It makes baby Cthulhu cry.

It's also not JavaScript. Nor is it Java. It's some gross abomination that takes the worst of each language and combines it into an unholy vessel of death.

In short, C#. Always.

:)

razu

Guys please don't direct anyone to UnityScript or Boo. C# and that's it for Unity.

Reasons:

1) C# carries over to other places
2) UnityScript has lots of problems, is inconsistent, has worse performance
3) Unity is moving away from it (all new tutorials are in C#)
4) It makes baby Cthulhu cry.

It's also not JavaScript. Nor is it Java. It's some gross abomination that takes the worst of each language and combines it into an unholy vessel of death.

In short, C#. Always.

:)

Yeah, go with C#. It's a worthy investment of time.

kiguel182

You can import graphics as single sprites or sprite sheets. Sprite sheets can be sliced automatically, by grid or manually using Unity's spritesheet managing tools (you have to mark a sprite texture with Sprite Mode: Multiple to use the Sprite Editor on it).

To create a sprite on the screen, the simplest way is to take one from the Asset viewer and drag it into the scene. After that you can add colliders and rigidbodies to it normally.

You can also use 3D primitives in your scenes without any issues if you want to, but you'll have to give them 2D colliders if you want them to interact with physics objects or be physics objects themselves (remember that they'll move as if they were 2D in that case).

Also, stuff such as 2D Edge and Polygon colliders are really useful, but so far I've learned that EdgeCollider2D's edge data (which is a list of coordinates it links to create the collider) can only be modified by right clicking on the inspector rab (right where it says "Inspector") and select Debug from the options. That inspector mode exposes private variables, so you can mess with the edge's vertex list to your heart's content, which is exactly what I did for my game's levels, but be sure to switch it back to the regular inspector afterwards because some things are a bit harder to mess with while in debug mode.

Thanks for the tips! I think I've got it.

JulianImp

Well, excuuuse me! I use C# myself and am really happy with it, but I was pointing out that if somebody has some prior experience with one of the other languages, then they probably could jump into Unity using that and possibly migrate to C# once they've gotten accustomed to the way Unity works.

Nowadays, I can't go back to GML without going "eww" at its magic variable types and the fact you can't cross-reference objects without doing some leaps of faith (ie: "let's hope object 10005345 exists, is valid and has the correct variable names defined within it").

fuzzy_slippers

Neo Member

I wish Unity would just cut the support for goofy languages. I'm sure it doesn't help their sometimes glacial dev pace. It also really doesn't do anyone any favors to allow new Unity devs to waste time getting deeper into anything besides C# when they'll inevitably need to learn C# at some point anyway. It's not like C# is any harder to learn than the other two languages.

Popstar

The UnityScript and Boo bindings are just not as good quality as the C# ones for Unity. Unity uses Mono so C# is very much it's native language.

You'll encounter strange bugs and behaviour using Boo or UnityScript you won't have if using C#.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Speaking of Unity.

Have any of you here dealt with wind simulations within the Unity engine? More along the lines of scientific/educational simulations rather than making trees bend and grass sway.

I've been able to get the basics of wind within Unity using wind zones along with particle effects and affecting 3D models. What I'm really after though is being able to access the actual data that the wind zone has. The power of the wind it's producing, and the ability to manipulate it in different ways.
So far it seems that the "wind" parameters within the editor are sealed away behind closed doors. Outside of the basic "magnitude, speed, turbulence" parameters.

What I'm after is something similar to this, but on a smaller scale in a 3D space. The end goal would be to allow a user to view the forces the wind is producing and see how those forces affect objects put into the 3D space.

missile

Speaking of Unity.

Have any of you here dealt with wind simulations within the Unity engine? More along the lines of scientific/educational simulations rather than making trees bend and grass sway.

I've been able to get the basics of wind within Unity using wind zones along with particle effects and affecting 3D models. What I'm really after though is being able to access the actual data that the wind zone has. The power of the wind it's producing, and the ability to manipulate it in different ways.
So far it seems that the "wind" parameters within the editor are sealed away behind closed doors. Outside of the basic "magnitude, speed, turbulence" parameters. ...

So you wanna tell me that Unity has a wind field/zones without letting the
user access the wind vectors from each zone? Can't believe!

... What I'm after is something similar to this, but on a smaller scale in a 3D space. The end goal would be to allow a user to view the forces the wind is producing and see how those forces affect objects put into the 3D space.
Basically, if you have the wind vector field, you can get what you see in the
link above by integrating said vectors. The vectors themselves are tangent to
the flow field, hence, integration will give the curve they are tangent to.

Blizzard

Banned
I feel like I am very slowly grinding through things that do not lend themselves to screenshots since a lot of it is GUI-related. But, the game logic is important, darnit!

I now have the data structures and logic in place to:
  • Track units for different players
  • Update a scoreboard overlay as information changes
  • Allow players to command units only once per turn, graying out units after they are moved etc.
  • Allow players to end their turn with a GUI menu, cycling to the next player, and increasing the turn count when all players have taken a turn.
Once I implement some more mechanics like attacks doing damage, I will almost be able to start playtesting local multiplayer, in theory!

donut

Neo Member
Hello there. Long time lurker, first time poster. Please be gentle.

Here's a couple of gifs from my little platformer project. Inspired by Crash Bandicoot and other PS1 stuff. It's pretty cool.

tst3.gif

tst5.gif

Paz

We just finished putting the final playable character in our game and tested her out at a local convention, very happy with how Peanut turned out and her Magma Welder / Giga Drill Lance combo is a ton of fun :D
aac_drill.gif

Balancing things and ensuring each character feels unique gets exponentially tougher as you add content, glad we settled on 8 Androids and I couldn't be happier with how they all turned out.

Edit - Interesting project donut, not a particularly common space for people to explore these days! I always thought it was interesting how people approached platformer design at the start of the 3D era, in retrospect everyone thinks Mario 64's approach was 'obvious' but what Naughty Dog did with Crash could easily have been seen as the standard approach if things had gone just a bit different.

Five

Banned

Here's a couple of gifs from my little platformer project. Inspired by Crash Bandicoot and other PS1 stuff. It's pretty cool.

[/IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68701242/tst/tst3.gif[/IMG]

[/IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68701242/tst/tst5.gif[/IMG]

I love it! It definitely reminds me of Crash and some of the Super Mario stages.

edit: Paz! Your stuff looks great, as always.

Work on my game has been pretty slow, owing to actual work among other things. I added familiars to the game today, which can extend the range of your attack and also do important things like reveal the map, bring you back to life on the spot, and unlock doors without keys.

ImpGif1.gif

ImpGif2.gif

Jeez I've missed a lot. Amazing work being thrown around in here. Health took a turn for the worse so I've been posting less and working less trying to make it through a rough patch but just wanted to drop by and say thanks to everyone who contributed mini drawings for Strafe. You guys will all be getting free copies at release and your GAF names (or real names, if you wish) in a special THANK YOU section of the credits - as a super bonus that section is where a (will not say who) random 1st party dev (not saying which of the big 3) will also be. Like you folks, he is giving me strength to push through some garbage and press on. I, of course, will remain in the unimportant section for mutants and weirdos right next to plasticized ketchup in the credits.

I'll be back posting more soon enough and swooning over everyone's work being all jelly n shit cuz what I'm seeing in this thread and the SS thread is amazing. Really puts a smile on my face looking at everyone's work. Super happy to see everyone's work evolve.

Thanks again all, will be back soon.

Hydderf

Hi guys and gals!
I've been reading this thread for a long time now and I must say that I'm really impressed by the amount of talent shown here. You're all a great source of inspiration for a lot of people, including me, so thanks for that!

Anyway, I'm currently working on a 3DS game for the eshop and I've got a question on the publishing side of things. The SELF publishing side, more precisely.
To give a bit of background : my studio is an authorized developper and we already have games that were published (not by us) on Nintendo plateforms in the past (wii, ds, wiiware).

Now there is this game I'm working on that we would like to self publish. The game is almost done and, from what I understand, we only need to request a Digital Publishing Agreement to put it on the eshop (lot check testing aside, of course)

Do you know how long it should take to get this agreement ? are we talking weeks or (1-2) months?

Thanks for your answers! I hope I will be able to post some screenshots in the near futur.

Pehesse

Lovely as always! I don't know why but I find the hanging guy enemy really interesting (I'm reminded of Castlevania Portrait of Ruin's boss with the puppets - not sure why, though)

I think I like that you can tell his different points of appearance using the hanging nooses, and I can picture scenes with more nooses hanging and you trying to figure out which one he'll appear on next, so it's still somewhat the classic trope of the disappearing/reappearing enemy, but with a visual and thematic guideline to help you manage the encounter better. (Also : can you kick the head around when it eventuallys falls on the ground?)

Oh, and I love the trail effects on the moving bullets/sword slashes!

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
We just finished putting the final playable character in our game and tested her out at a local convention, very happy with how Peanut turned out and her Magma Welder / Giga Drill Lance combo is a ton of fun :D

aac_drill.gif

Balancing things and ensuring each character feels unique gets exponentially tougher as you add content, glad we settled on 8 Androids and I couldn't be happier with how they all turned out.

Edit - Interesting project donut, not a particularly common space for people to explore these days! I always thought it was interesting how people approached platformer design at the start of the 3D era, in retrospect everyone thinks Mario 64's approach was 'obvious' but what Naughty Dog did with Crash could easily have been seen as the standard approach if things had gone just a bit different.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of workflow do you use for texturing, Paz?

tst3.gif

After many hours slaving over hot pixels, I cannot unsee unitys default capsule collider as your main character :(

(your game looks fun though)

missile

... Thanks again all, will be back soon.
All the best!

Cool to see how your work, shown and described in many of your posts over
here, come to fruition! :+

Meanwhile, I started working on a slider element...

C1mJtfX.gif

Not as spectacular, but quite a lot of work nevertheless. It's the first
version, i.e. a button moving within a confined range listen to mouse messages
while updating a value. Next I need to wire up the callback system to react
to when the value has changed etc. as well as having a button on each end to
increment/decrement the slider with a fixed step size. And also a way to press
between the button and either of its ends to increment/decrement with a
different fixed step size (usually a larger one).

GulAtiCa

Looking at some of my textures, it seems my biggest textures are around 3300x2500 in size. Which for a 1080p resolution game where they are stretched to fit the TV screen might be overkill haha. Might not be a bad idea for me to manually edit them to fit for size and although might improve performance just slightly.

Granadier

So you wanna tell me that Unity has a wind field/zones without letting the
user access the wind vectors from each zone? Can't believe!

As far as I have found so far, yes. It would be nice if they'd allow access to it, but it doesn't seem possible.

Basically, if you have the wind vector field, you can get what you see in the
link above by integrating said vectors. The vectors themselves are tangent to
the flow field, hence, integration will give the curve they are tangent to.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into this. Might end up going the Javascript route and just building this all in a browser. Unity is turning into a paint to do this level of simulation.

missile

As far as I have found so far, yes. It would be nice if they'd allow access to it, but it doesn't seem possible. ...

Thanks for the info. I'll look into this. Might end up going the Javascript route and just building this all in a browser. Unity is turning into a paint to do this level of simulation.
Yeah try your own one, you will learn a lot -- may come in handy while using
more advanced tools (within this regard) later one.

Edit:
You said the zones do influence object? Well, here is a rough way to get the
vector field; put up a structured grid of massless particles within the wind
zone (about 16x16x16) and let them get transported a very small amount in
time (dt). For sufficiently small dt, the particles will move in the
direction of the wind vector. Then take the difference of the resulting and
starting position of the initial and transported particles, each. The result
is an approximation of the wind vector at the initial particle position.
To get the vectors in-between the grid cells, you simply do an interpolation
once you have located the cell in which a sampling point is located.

This will give you at least something to play with. Yeah, it's messy, I know. ;)
But hey, at least you can make the field visible and study/debug its behavior,
simply by drawing a wind vector at each grid position. :+

GulAtiCa

How much does it cost to publish an indie game on Playstation 4 or Vita?

I don't have any experience with those platforms. But I'd imagine you need the buy a dev kit (if not given out for free/loaned) and any licenses (like Unity (they are only ones that don't give that for free)). A few thousand $$$ at very least would be my guess.

I'm sure we have some PS4/Vita indie devs here, right?

Five

Banned
Thanks very much, everyone!

I don't have any experience with those platforms. But I'd imagine you need the buy a dev kit (if not given out for free/loaned) and any licenses (like Unity (they are only ones that don't give that for free)). A few thousand $$$ at very least would be my guess.

I'm sure we have some PS4/Vita indie devs here, right?

Is that not under NDA? How much all the fees are, I mean?

Jobbs

Banned
I love it! It definitely reminds me of Crash and some of the Super Mario stages.

edit: Paz! Your stuff looks great, as always.

Work on my game has been pretty slow, owing to actual work among other things. I added familiars to the game today, which can extend the range of your attack and also do important things like reveal the map, bring you back to life on the spot, and unlock doors without keys.

ImpGif1.gif

ImpGif2.gif

this is looking better and better! so do the familiars have any collision with the terrain? I'd imagine no, but just curious.

I have a follower type thign in my game, too, originally I wanted it to have collision to make things nice and tactile, but it proved to complicate things a bit more than I'd like to deal with.

Pehesse

tumblr_n96e18BFF01s5t3fko1_500.png

tumblr_n96e18BFF01s5t3fko4_500.png

Menus! Menus everywhere!
Trying to plan many random events to minimize repetition, that's going to require a lot of dialog and event planning. Part of the fun though!

Five

Banned
this is looking better and better! so do the familiars have any collision with the terrain? I'd imagine no, but just curious.

I have a follower type thign in my game, too, originally I wanted it to have collision to make things nice and tactile, but it proved to complicate things a bit more than I'd like to deal with.

Thanks!

Right now there's not any path-finding or significant collision detection. I just use a simple spring model to pin it to one of two places. Either behind the player at shoulder level (as seen above) or, if there's a collision at that point, then down by the player's feet. Generally, it's only at the second place when your back is against a wall. Sometimes the imp phases through corners a bit, but this relatively simple solution keeps it out of most walls.

I thought about implementing some sort of path-finding and more sophisticated collision detection, but that sounded like a lot of work and I decided the edges cases of such a system would be more distracting than seeing the imp slightly clip through stuff occasionally.

Timeaisis

tst3.gif

Wow, nice. I love the hand wobble physics. Really cool.

Here's a few more from some brand new room models. The Dining Room is coming along nicely:

And doors working. Hooray!
VyZrqw5.gif

Granadier

Yeah try your own one, you will learn a lot -- may come in handy while using
more advanced tools (within this regard) later one.

Edit:
You said the zones do influence object? Well, here is a rough way to get the
vector field; put up a structured grid of massless particles within the wind
zone (about 16x16x16) and let them get transported a very small amount in
time (dt). For sufficiently small dt, the particles will move in the
direction of the wind vector. Then take the difference of the resulting and
starting position of the initial and transported particles, each. The result
is an approximation of the wind vector at the initial particle position.
To get the vectors in-between the grid cells, you simply do an interpolation
once you have located the cell in which a sampling point is located.

This will give you at least something to play with. Yeah, it's messy, I know. ;)
But hey, at least you can make the field visible and study/debug its behavior,
simply by drawing a wind vector at each grid position. :+

Thanks for this. I'm going to save this and spend some time trying to learn how to integrate it. Appreciate it.

Limanima

Wow, this thread is getting better and better.
Nice work guys!

The status of my project:
It's running on Android / iOS, and I 'm starting to hand the phone to friends and the game is getting good acceptance... for such a simple game that is.
I'm currently working on improvements and in the Google Play /Game Center login.

Anyone have or try the YoYo Compiler for Gamemaker? It's on sale this week for 40% off and I am super tempted to pick it up. $180 is way cheaper than $300 plus I like loading my screens with crazy amount of objects.

Five

Banned
I like the little things in the animations, like catching the edge and pulling herself up, and how the force of projectiles against her shield pushes her back slightly. Nice art style to boot. Well done.

Thank you very much! :)

Anyone have or try the YoYo Compiler for Gamemaker? It's on sale this week for 40% off and I am super tempted to pick it up. $180 is way cheaper than $300 plus I like loading my screens with crazy amount of objects.

I experimented with it while they were beta testing, and decided it wasn't worth it for me. It depends on where your bottleneck is. Run the game in debug mode (F6) and watch the bars up top. The red shows how long compute takes, and the yellow shows how long draw takes. YYC only improves compute. It improves compute a lot, but that makes little difference if you're not doing something overly complicated.

For my game, compute takes 1-2 ms per frame, and draw takes 5-8 ms. The procedural generation of a room takes 10-30 ms for a single frame, but I hide that in room transitions so it's not at all noticeable. YYC would probably bring that down to the 1-3 ms range, if not better, and it would probably bring normal compute down to less than 1 ms for average frames, but that's simply not necessary for me.

Something else I'll say is that YoYoGames puts on a sale pretty regularly. It seems to be seasonal, but it might actually only be in the Winter and Summer. The point being that missing this sale won't be your last chance at a better price, and it probably won't be too long before the next sale.

Thank you very much! :)

I experimented with it while they were beta testing, and decided it wasn't worth it for me. It depends on where your bottleneck is. Run the game in debug mode (F6) and watch the bars up top. The red shows how long compute takes, and the yellow shows how long draw takes. YYC only improves compute. It improves compute a lot, but that makes little difference if you're not doing something overly complicated.

For my game, compute takes 1-2 ms per frame, and draw takes 5-8 ms. The procedural generation of a room takes 10-30 ms for a single frame, but I hide that in room transitions so it's not at all noticeable. YYC would probably bring that down to the 1-3 ms range, if not better, and it would probably bring normal compute down to less than 1 ms for average frames, but that's simply not necessary for me.

Something else I'll say is that YoYoGames puts on a sale pretty regularly. It seems to be seasonal, but it might actually only be in the Winter and Summer. The point being that missing this sale won't be your last chance at a better price, and it probably won't be too long before the next sale.

Cool, this answers exactly what I wanted to know. Like you, I'm doing more graphically and can hide the computing stuff through animated transition stuff with no problem.

The sales Ive noticed happen seasonally, but sometimes without much notice (accidentally found out about the current sale).

but yeah, I think I'll wait till I decide on it. thanks again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom