• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Man, having a baby sure turns productivity to zero. If I have any time now I just want to sleep. Somebody tell me it gets easier.

Galdelico

I'd say it really depends on the kind of 2D animation you want to make.

If you're looking for puppet animation (draw separated parts and animate them individually), then I'd say vector tools are a good choice, so Illustrator/Inkscape and the like to design/draw the parts - as for the animation itself, you can then use either the same tool, or something like Spine or others that have been suggested previously in this thread? I'll let others more versed in that give a more detailed overview.

If you're looking to do "classic" animation (for lack of a better word), where each frame is different, then any drawing tool will do. Photoshop, Gimp, anything for high-res 2D, and Photoshop (again), or pixel-art oriented software like graphics gale for anything and everything pixel-art related.

As far as animation tutorials themselves, I'd highly recommend looking at what's available from Richard William's masterclasses (there are video excerpts you can find, like here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxhdPraQn40 ) and reading his Animator's Survival Kit, and build from there!

Hope you don't mind me asking, sir.

Out of the majority of 2D indie projects going on here, yours has some of the most impressive animations I've seen so far, plus they are quite in line with what I'm doing at the moment (as in classic, hand drawn frame-by-frame animations): did you ever post a step by step, or is there an internet place where I can check your animations' work in progress?
I'm moving my first steps into this world, since I decided I want to design my game's animations on my own, but I still lack a proper consolidated mindset/approach towards the whole process.

Thanks in advance!

Pehesse

Hope you don't mind me asking, sir.

Out of the majority of 2D indie projects going on here, yours has some of the most impressive animations I've seen so far, plus they are quite in line with what I'm doing at the moment (as in classic, hand drawn frame-by-frame animations): did you ever post a step by step, or is there an internet place where I can check your animations' work in progress?
I'm moving my first steps into this world, since I decided I want to design my game's animations on my own, but I still lack a proper consolidated mindset/approach towards the whole process.

Thanks in advance!

Wow, many, many thanks! Since I'm a novice in animation as well, you don't know how much this means to read something like this (Honey is my first animation heavy project), especially since I consider my stuff average at best when you have Ghost Song, Dust, Belfrey Devisee and many many others around here.

Also, you're in luck, as I have both of what you ask: a timelapse of an (old) animation here (and to be honest, it's one I really really should redo at some point) and several WIP stages of all animations in the archives here, like for instance this, leading to this then this.

As far as the whole mindset, everything I've learned I've taken from the book and videos I've mentioned above... they're that good :-D I still can't wrap my head around many of the stuff he explains and does, but practice makes perfect (and I still listen to music while animating, which is apparently a big no-no, but...)

I'd love to see some of your animation as well! Did you post anything anywhere already?

(sorry if all of this comes off as too egotistical, I just don't hear stuff like this often - and as Jobbs very thruthfully said just a few posts earlier, I'm still very much an indie artist in need of validation :-D)

Well, that's a shame, because your animations are stunning. Keep up the excellent work!

... Well, you know what I think now :-D Many many thanks as well :-D Your work is very impressive as well, I've been (silently) following your updates on TIGSource!

Thanks :) It's cool working with Sony (of course, I loved working with MS as well). Lots of great people on both sides.

Now I just have to find a way to work with Nintendo sometime. Because honestly, what indie developer doesn't want to see their game on a Nintendo platform?

for me Nintendo will be like a dream :) but for now I am targeting PC only...
Congratz on your PS4 release!

so for the past 8 months i had basically given up on trying to get a game made. however, i've caught the bug again and would very much like to start (and finish) a project. the hunt begins (again) for a pixel artist to collaborate with. if anyone is interested feel free to pm me. i'm a very capable programmer with examples of my work to share :)

Rubikant

That meant the in game language couldn't be a simple letter to letter one like Fez. The "things" that made this language would have never heard a word of English, so basing their language off English would be cheating. Instead I created the entire language from scratch.

EPIC!

Seriously, always bugged me when a "secret alien language" somehow translated to being English but with weird symbols representing letters of the alphabet. I mean, I get it, it makes it more approachable and something that devs can expect the player to solve pretty easily, but this approach is so much more realistic and engaging.

As long as its not NECESSARY to translate the language to enjoy the game (or the reverse, that translating the language is what the game is centered around).

Rubikant

I need tutorials for 2D animations...I am a beginner :D

Which tool is the best for it ?

If you are looking to make pixel art animations (like 16-bit or 8-bit), I'll let you in on a little industry secret. Program called Pro Motion, based on an older program called Deluxe Paint, was used by many developers back in the GBA days and on through to the DS and beyond. Its what we used to create all the art in Volgarr the Viking. Most people haven't heard of it, as it was mostly used within large development studios of 2D pixel-art games and thus wasn't a product you'd find on the shelf with any kind of marketing behind it - you pretty much had to work at one of these companies to hear about it.

It offers incredible control over palette management, including support for classic old-school techniques like color cycling and palette-swapping, as well as useful stuff like converting images into tileset + tilemap files, and of course all the other useful animation stuff like onion-skinning and whatnot. Can export standard formats like gif and png and .flc and even (as we used in Volgarr), "image strips".

But it only goes up to 256 colors per image/animation, so really only meant for pixel art. If that's what you are looking for, check it out at http://www.cosmigo.com/promotion/index.php

Fehyd

Banned
Thank you for the replies guys! I definitely have some ideas in my head, but I don't have anywhere near the ability to realize them, but hopefully I'll have something I can post to the thread in a few weeks!

Ashodin

Today is working on the options menu when you pause. It's a long time coming and I'd rather get it out of the way first. As well as saving and loading! (and deleting your progress).

It's crazy how fast I can implement this stuff compared to when I was first working on Apexicon with it.

missile

I now have my own PS3 devstation.

Currently am tinkering around with SPE to PPU communication and get to know
about the Cell operating system and stuff, getting up to speed to port some of
my stuff over to the PS3.

I love the PS3 from a technical perspective. It's a pleasure for me to program
the hardware straight.

The goal is to release my game ★Superstall★ on the PS3 as well. For me this
is the ultimate, being a console game developer using the hardware making cool
games. It's an ideal environment for me, system programming at its best.

If anyone needs help porting a game to the PS3 (on technically level only) I
may offer some help, yet my time is very restricted due to my own developments.
Am proficient in low-level math, low-level graphics, low-level programming.
That's what I love doing...

missile

For ★Superstall★ (and beyond) am looking for an artist who is able to make
low-poly aircrafts and is able to model some small environments as well as
low-resolution/low-quantized textures, i.e. someone who loves the aesthetic
of being low-poly/retro and wants to put it into perspective. You don't need
to be a professional out of the box, learning by doing is cool. The only thing
needed is dedication and passion. Rest follows.

SeanNoonan

Word of warning to Construct 2 users - porting to iOS is a royal pain in the ass.

It's possible, but it's not a simple process.

razu

I now have my own PS3 devstation.

Currently am tinkering around with SPE to PPU communication and get to know
about the Cell operating system and stuff, getting up to speed to port some of
my stuff over to the PS3.

I love the PS3 from a technical perspective. It's a pleasure for me to program
the hardware straight.

The goal is to release my game ★Superstall★ on the PS3 as well. For me this
is the ultimate, being a console game developer using the hardware making cool
games. It's an ideal environment for me, system programming at its best.

If anyone needs help porting a game to the PS3 (on technically level only) I
may offer some help, yet my time is very restricted due to my own developments.
Am proficient in low-level math, low-level graphics, low-level programming.
That's what I love doing...

This should be good! :D

Galdelico

Wow, many, many thanks! Since I'm a novice in animation as well, you don't know how much this means to read something like this (Honey is my first animation heavy project), especially since I consider my stuff average at best when you have Ghost Song, Dust, Belfrey Devisee and many many others around here.

Also, you're in luck, as I have both of what you ask: a timelapse of an (old) animation here (and to be honest, it's one I really really should redo at some point) and several WIP stages of all animations in the archives here, like for instance this, leading to this then this.

As far as the whole mindset, everything I've learned I've taken from the book and videos I've mentioned above... they're that good :-D I still can't wrap my head around many of the stuff he explains and does, but practice makes perfect (and I still listen to music while animating, which is apparently a big no-no, but...)

I'd love to see some of your animation as well! Did you post anything anywhere already?

(sorry if all of this comes off as too egotistical, I just don't hear stuff like this often - and as Jobbs very thruthfully said just a few posts earlier, I'm still very much an indie artist in need of validation :-D)

Brilliant, thank you for the links! That's exacly what I'm looking for (needless to say, I added your Tumblr to my list so I can follow you there too :p ). The step by step is especially impressive, it makes all the little details you added in the process stand out so well. Congratulations once again.

As far as it goes with my game, no, I didn't post anything animated yet. Initially, I thought I could get some help from a friend who is a proper animator but in the end it didn't work (he's working on his personal projects too, plus I have quite a clear idea on how my game shoud be animated), so I'm now trying out different approaches and basically practising on simple tasks, as in the most basic running animation.

Pehesse

Brilliant, thank you for the links! That's exacly what I'm looking for (needless to say, I added your Tumblr to my list so I can follow you there too :p ). The step by step is especially impressive, it makes all the little details you added in the process stand out so well. Congratulations once again.

As far as it goes with my game, no, I didn't post anything animated yet. Initially, I thought I could get some help from a friend who is a proper animator but in the end it didn't work (he's working on his personal projects too, plus I have quite a clear idea on how my game shoud be animated), so I'm now trying out different approaches and basically practising on simple tasks, as in the most basic running animation.

Well, thanks again :-D

As for practice: actually, in my experience and from what I've generally heard, walking/running cycles are some of the most difficult things to get right, so starting out with that is actually excellent practice for just about everything else. So, good luck and I can't wait to see how it turns out, as I really like how your game looks already :-D

missile

This should be good! :D
Hopefully. PS3 is a beast. Yet I feel home somehow. xD It's going to be some
long nights, have to play catch-up in getting to know a lot of things. I
already have some PS3/OtherOS experience from which I already know many of
the mambojumbo with embedding SPE code into the PPU executables etc., yet
the CellOS is different than Linux running on the PS3.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Anyone have any advice/guides/tips for level building? I have just been so unhappy with what I've put together so far. This is what I have so far, but don't click it's horrible!

kiguel182

Does anybody here uses Unity for Android development?

If so, I'm having a problem where audio is playing with a slight delay that I have no idea how to solve. I don't have this problem when using the Editor so I'm assuming it's a platform specific and has nothing to do with my code.

Did anybody have this problem and come up with a solution?

Pehesse

FluidDefinitiveDorado.gif

Health bars!

I still want them to be a player chosen option, and off by default, but I'll admit it's fun to have around too, and adds to the 90's beat'em all vibe.

If you're wondering why Honey takes so much damage even during a block, that's because the fighting system is stat-based, and right here, she has lousy defense compared to Little Sun's high strength, so blocking will mitigate damage, but not nullify it completely. On the other hand, if you train intensively, your defense can rise so high that you basically don't need to block at all :-D

Ashodin

FluidDefinitiveDorado.gif

Health bars!

I still want them to be a player chosen option, and off by default, but I'll admit it's fun to have around too, and adds to the 90's beat'em all vibe.

If you're wondering why Honey takes so much damage even during a block, that's because the fighting system is stat-based, and right here, she has lousy defense compared to Little Sun's high strength, so blocking will mitigate damage, but not nullify it completely. On the other hand, if you train intensively, your defense can rise so high that you basically don't need to block at all :-D

Ladies and gentlemen we have a fighting game

cbox

Thank you kindly! :) We've got like 4 more characters, but he's my favorite.

By the by, I haven't checked in on Shwip in a while . How's greenlight going?

Np! It's stagnated unfortunately - I think I need a big push from some popular sites to get it going. I unfortunately messed up the launch of our greenlight by not having enough info near the beginning ( 2 yrs ago ), so we missed our window. I'm thinking of closing it down and resubmitting once the game is 90% done. Still hoping for miracles though. Whoever plays it loves it , so that's a great feeling and is very fortunate - I just need 100x the amount of views!

Pehesse

Ladies and gentlemen we have a fighting game

Rereading what I wrote, I assume you mean I've basically described how any fighting game works, sorry about that... I meant that the visual novel segment of the game allows the training of individual stats (strength, defense and speed) each having effects on how the fighting plays out. So contrary to many fighting games, you don't just pick a character and have predetermined stats that play off the opponent's, but you actively change the values of the single character your play during the game, and the same fight against the same opponent can play off completely differently depending on how you trained beforehand - in the case of the gif, I set the opponent's stats to be very high so she'd actually deal visible damage, because at default levels, not much of her hits can break through Honey's default defense :-D Sorry if I was unclear!

Loving your work, Pehesse.

Thanks a lot :-D

Looks great, Pehesse!

And many thanks as well :-D Really, really glad you all like it :-D

^ Amazing. Period.

Wow, and I missed that somehow! Many, many thanks as well !! Can't say I always understand your work, but it's always a sight to behold :-D

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Does anybody here uses Unity for Android development?

If so, I'm having a problem where audio is playing with a slight delay that I have no idea how to solve. I don't have this problem when using the Editor so I'm assuming it's a platform specific and has nothing to do with my code.

Did anybody have this problem and come up with a solution?

I never ran into this issue.

How are you accessing/loading your audio files, and how big are they?

Have you tried compressing them and recompiling?

What device are you testing on?

Are there other touch-related delays in the overall app?

Ashodin

Nope Pehesse I was celebrating that the part of the game can resemble a regular fighter and was imagining your game's fighting segments added to fighting game tournaments etc. Delusions of grandeur

Timeaisis

Np! It's stagnated unfortunately - I think I need a big push from some popular sites to get it going. I unfortunately messed up the launch of our greenlight by not having enough info near the beginning ( 2 yrs ago ), so we missed our window. I'm thinking of closing it down and resubmitting once the game is 90% done. Still hoping for miracles though. Whoever plays it loves it , so that's a great feeling and is very fortunate - I just need 100x the amount of views!

Yeah, this happened to us with our last game. We submitted it like a year early on greenlight, and it just stayed there for a while. Even after we released it, it took another 6 months to actually get through! I think we were on greenlight for a year and a few months before we got through.

Greenlight is a weird beast, and it's all about momentum. What finally ended pushing us through is we went into one of those "Greenlight Bundles". Basically, we released on humble, and then got into a bundle which promised steam keys if they game got greenlit, and we got through with the next push. But before that, we had a decent opening few months and then it just stagnated for like a year. It's tough and shitty. I hear relaunches work sometimes. Either that or you could try some all-out promotion or maybe even early access? How close are you to releasing?

Anyway, I'll try to spread the word. I really loved the demo you put out (I don't even remember how long ago that was haha).

Pehesse

Nope Pehesse I was celebrating that the part of the game can resemble a regular fighter and was imagining your game's fighting segments added to fighting game tournaments etc. Delusions of grandeur

Then: wow! Sorry for misunderstanding, and allow me to join in the delusions then :-D Though there is still much work before it works in a completely satisfactory way... Still, with your help, I think we'll get it right :-D Next time, proto will be open to all, I think!

Thought I'd share another screen from my game. This time, it's an industrial area located on a wintry planet.

tumblr_nbg2w3Sh1m1s4tygbo1_1280.jpg

I'll continue to post more screens as I finish up more areas.

kiguel182

I never ran into this issue.

How are you accessing/loading your audio files, and how big are they?

Have you tried compressing them and recompiling?

What device are you testing on?

Are there other touch-related delays in the overall app?

Some of the audiosources are on the objects where the script that calls them is others are on separate, empty, game objects since they are played by several game objects. Every sound has this delay.

I'm using wav files uncompressed. They are small.

I'm using a Moto G that should be powerful enough to handle a game like mine.

No, everything runs smooth apart from this.

I'm almost finishing the game and this is the only major problem I have and I don't even know where to start to solve this...

Quick heads up for Unity people.

Prototype is free for September, it seems. It's usually $15, I believe, so if you're vaguely interested in 3D map creation it seems like a good time to add it to your Unity account so you can access it later.

I've been playing around with it for a bit, and it definitely feels like Source's Hammer editor, if you've used that. It's a little rough around the edges, but still very, very good.

Phaded

Neo Member
Hi there! I'm currently on a team of developers creating the indie title Supraball

ebbe015a-38eb-4d62-9761-ec8adfcc2947.png

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FyW5m5XGZU
Platforms: PC
Genres: FPSG, Football, Soccer
Indiegogo: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/supraball

So what is Supraball? it is the stand alone successor to the UT2k4 mod Deathball, from the same creator. Essentially it's a First Person Sports Game the idea being you play matches consisting of 2 teams, each made up of a number of players, you play as one player and co-ordinate and play to win with other players. If you were to compare it to a real life sport, it would be most like Football/Soccer.

8c770f8d-c9c6-41ee-9de0-9123d189453e.jpg

27e917da-b5b7-4c4f-a162-5f5d907dd0d2.jpg

Currently the game is being developed by a team of friends, working full time jobs, who dedicate their spare time to the game, at this moment there is a playable released version using the UDK. So please visit the website to find out more information or try the game!

You can also join the community on the QuakeNet channel in mIRC, channel #Supraball and #Supraball.na for American players, although we generally tend to join both channels for a bigger sense of community :). We've already had a tournament, have over 100 servers and we use IRC as a means of playing pickup matches, a more organised and fruitful experience than the public matches.

At the moment we are currently in the process of porting the game to UE4 (as we are at a dead end with the UDK version) and getting the game onto Steam. We are currently running an Indiegogo campaign in order to help raise funds for the project.

So please, try the game, join us on our community, make friends, have fun, and most of all enjoy yourself! If you like the game and want to see more, please, spread the word to anyone you may think will enjoy the game and consider backing our campaign.

Thanks for reading and see you in the servers! :)

adixon

This looks so gooood. Been meaning to say this for a while. The animations are wonderful, but added to that you've got such a unique style there that instantly reveals the world you're creating more deeply than any written exposition ever could. I already love the feeling of playing your game and I've never even installed it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom