• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Quick heads up for Unity people.

Prototype is free for September, it seems. It's usually $15, I believe, so if you're vaguely interested in 3D map creation it seems like a good time to add it to your Unity account so you can access it later.

I've been playing around with it for a bit, and it definitely feels like Source's Hammer editor, if you've used that. It's a little rough around the edges, but still very, very good.

Wow, thank you for pointing this out! Picked it up and will try it out once I have time to work with Unity again.

Some of the audiosources are on the objects where the script that calls them is others are on separate, empty, game objects since they are played by several game objects. Every sound has this delay.

I'm using wav files uncompressed. They are small.

I'm using a Moto G that should be powerful enough to handle a game like mine.

No, everything runs smooth apart from this.

I'm almost finishing the game and this is the only major problem I have and I don't even know where to start to solve this...

My gut is telling me that it is something on the Android side that is causing issues. I don't have experience with it personally, but some quick Google searches of "Android Unity audio latency" led to some articles about latency from Android itself. They were ~1 year old, so maybe it has been fixed. Not sure.

Blizzard

Banned
Every time I see "Beyond Human", I think "Isn't that the Dennis Dyack game?" And then after I think for a while I realize "Oh, that was Too Human". :p

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Every time I see "Beyond Human", I think "Isn't that the Dennis Dyack game?" And then after I think for a while I realize "Oh, that was Too Human". :p

hahaha you said that last time XD

Well he did say every time.
LtbRu.gif

Ashodin

Crossposting from #SS

I HAVE BEGUN ON

1-3, The Rocky Road. Night Level!

aSXbkFS.gif

After this part, the gravity changes, and it becomes THE MOON

lLAusIO.gif

Pehesse

Crossposting from #SS

I HAVE BEGUN ON

aSXbkFS.gif

lLAusIO.gif

Scarves on the moon! I really like most things about this (especially how fast you seem to be going) but the far background in that last gif has some presence! It seems to be the same one than previously, but the blue recolor and slow parallax while jumping/descending make it look better than before, or at least to me.

First boss reveal of beyond human.
So this will be a cutscene before the fight starts.

angel-cutscene.gif

http://beyondhumanproject.com/

The Z.O.E. is strong in this one :-D If there's giant robot fighting, I'm in :-D (Not like I wasn't in before, but... giant robots)

This looks so gooood. Been meaning to say this for a while. The animations are wonderful, but added to that you've got such a unique style there that instantly reveals the world you're creating more deeply than any written exposition ever could. I already love the feeling of playing your game and I've never even installed it!

Thanks a ton :-D And the best part should be that since it's a web exporter, if I play my cards right, there'll be a version you won't need to install at all to play (I'll definitely make one for those who'd rather have that and for convenience's sake, too, but prototyping showed that the web version is really a very good option for now) :-D

I've been working a lot on different systems in my game.

Here is a quick summary:

There are many interactive systems inside your ship, want to take command of it? just sit in the captain's chair, or if you want to go outside use the individual airlock located in your main module, if you want larger away parties then a bigger airlock can be purchased. Need more gun storage? you can buy extra secure lockers, food and many more things.

AirlockSeat3.gif.gif

desu

At developers using Windows; are you using a 32- or 64-bit Windows?

Can only guess, but the majority probably uses 64-bit these days?

All my pcs (dev & non-dev) use a 64-bit OS. All developer pcs at my work use 64-bit OSs (have been using it for years already).

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Awesome job everyone, i'm so jealous of your talent :(

Anyway this is my new WIP character.
jill.png

PS:
this is the first time i post something on Saturday lol!

kiguel182

Wow, thank you for pointing this out! Picked it up and will try it out once I have time to work with Unity again.

My gut is telling me that it is something on the Android side that is causing issues. I don't have experience with it personally, but some quick Google searches of "Android Unity audio latency" led to some articles about latency from Android itself. They were ~1 year old, so maybe it has been fixed. Not sure.

I read those forum threads and questions and it seems like no one came up with a solid solution.

It just bugs me that not everyone has this so it's either a phone issue or some setting I'm doing wrong.

I'll probably have to ship the game with this slight latency but it's really bugging me out.

Are you telling me the shark and dolphin are procedurally animated? Holy shit, those animations looks real, man.
100% procedural. There's some cherry picking going on of course - the tail motion is the weak point of the system at the moment. But yes when it clicks (especially in VR) it's very lifelike.

Noogy

I was using 32 bit until very recently. Yeah, I developed my first game on 2gb of RAM or less :p Was VERY difficult, considering how graphic heavy it was.

Go 64, for the RAM benefits alone.

desu

I was using 32 bit until very recently. Yeah, I developed my first game on 2gb of RAM or less :p Was VERY difficult, considering how graphic heavy it was.

Go 64, for the RAM benefits alone.

First as in Dust :D? That would be crazy then!

Five

Banned
I wrote an article about the procedural animation system I've developed for my VR projects, including Ocean Rift for the Gear VR.

http://www.roadtovr.com/the-need-for-procedural-animation-in-virtual-reality-ocean-rift-developer/]

I'm not a fan of 3D viewings (severe headaches), but this article is amazing! Truly fascinating and inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

I haven't used a 32-bit system in five years or more.

Screenshot Saturday

ibdrmr9V5eqmAs.png

I've been out of the loop with this stuff so it's nice to be getting back into it.

This picture is from the campaign. It's from an area termed the "graveyard."

Jobbs

Banned
I was wondering if any of you guys could do me a quick assist.. It's rapidly come to my attention tonight, after opening the game up to a couple more people, that there seems to be an issue with nvidia cards and the shaders used in the game.

I've compiled a range of test projects (nothing sexy or fun, it's just an image) each one running a different shader. so far, tests indicate nvidia can only open the one marked "contrast" and the others will just crash instantly.
To anyone who is using an nvidia card, would you please take a minute to download this rar and run the tests and tell me what happens?

www.ghostsonggame.com/jscreens/danshadertests.rar

this is where having a few additional people helps, because the two nvidia computers so far support the idea but with only 2 in the sample pool it could also possibly be something else.

Ashodin

Downloading now. Imagine my surprise when most of the shaders I had been using for psyscrolr didn't carry over onto the Wii U (because their support for WebGL is non-existent)!

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660, all tests can be opened just fine.

HelloMeow

I was wondering if any of you guys could do me a quick assist.. It's rapidly come to my attention tonight, after opening the game up to a couple more people, that there seems to be an issue with nvidia cards and the shaders used in the game.

I've compiled a range of test projects (nothing sexy or fun, it's just an image) each one running a different shader. so far, tests indicate nvidia can only open the one marked "contrast" and the others will just crash instantly.
To anyone who is using an nvidia card, would you please take a minute to download this rar and run the tests and tell me what happens?

this is where having a few additional people helps, because the two nvidia computers so far support the idea but with only 2 in the sample pool it could also possibly be something else.

All of them open a window, but they freeze immediately. GTX 770 here.

Jobbs

Banned
They all open and fade in to the static image for me (which I assume means they work). 660 ti here.

that means they work, thank you.

still trying to get some more testers to get a fuller idea of which models work or don't work, which will aid the investigation.

edit: probably shouldn't keep clogging the thread with my nonsense, if you'd be so kind as to test it, PM me your result or even add me on skype: twotimingpete if you want. thanks guys.

Ito

Crossposting from #SS
I HAVE BEGUN ON

Man, you're faster than Sanic. Good work!

Nvidia GeForce GT640 reporting. Nothing wrong with your shaders here, sir.

FluidDefinitiveDorado.gif

Health bars!

I still want them to be a player chosen option, and off by default, but I'll admit it's fun to have around too, and adds to the 90's beat'em all vibe.

If you're wondering why Honey takes so much damage even during a block, that's because the fighting system is stat-based, and right here, she has lousy defense compared to Little Sun's high strength, so blocking will mitigate damage, but not nullify it completely. On the other hand, if you train intensively, your defense can rise so high that you basically don't need to block at all :-D

Looking great. One thing about your animations that keeps amazing me is how I can almost feel the impact of the kicks & punches the poor brawlers are getting...

On a side note.

To those of you that have been working for a long time in the same projects...

I dare you to show the evolution of your work. Specially if you have been making the graphics all along...

Of course, I'll be the first.

Here's 9 years of evolution.

Don't laught too hard, GAF. And yes, the "good one" has its flaws too.

iwPvLxJ.jpg

Come on, don't leave me alone in this... share your shitty artworks. There are lots of great artists here in this thread. Perhaps you've been drawing like that since you were born? :p

Popstar

You should probably also ask people what version of Windows they're running (XP/Vista/7/8 & 32/64 bit) as the drivers can be different.

It's really amazing how much I've learned about making games over the past few days. I went from knowing nothing to pretty much being able to make my own 2D platformer.

However I do have a bit of a problem. I followed this tutorial on how to create checkpoints.

After I followed the tutorial step by step and played the game, I started noticing that when ever I hit an enemy I just simply respawned to the exact place I just was instantaneously. So I read the comments and did what commenter Odolwa Aztec said. When I implemented his code everything went perfect once I hit the checkpoint. If I got killed, even in the next room I was respawned at the checkpoint. However prior to coming into contact with the checkpoint, the same thing happened as before, I kept respawning immediately where I was after coming into contact with an enemy.

This link has my .gmz file so that someone who has Gamemaker can open it and see what I did wrong. I would greatly appreciate if someone took a little bit of their time to help me out. :)

nvm - Fixed it. I had accidentally had the first room set on "Persistent".

Noogy

Running a 660Ti here, they all crash. Some take longer than others. Always a window pops up, completely white, and then eventually a 'dan test.exe has stopped working'.

PC game development, man. You'll spend about 90% of your time fixing other people's computers.

Jobbs

Banned
Running a 660Ti here, they all crash. Some take longer than others. Always a window pops up, completely white, and then eventually a 'dan test.exe has stopped working'.

PC game development, man. You'll spend about 90% of your time fixing other people's computers.

thanks -- and it continues to annoy because someone else with a 660Ti had no problems at all. Maybe it's not even the video card, but some other factor.. So itt's really hard for me to put things into neat little drawers. It's hard to find the root cause when you can't reproduce the problem yourself.

just real quick, can you (or anyone else who found that they all crash) try the control where shaders are turned off? www.ghostsonggame.com/jscreens/dantest_noshaders.rar -- just to make sure that this is the same for everyone. With the first people the control worked, but I just want to be sure.

SeanNoonan

I'm running a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780. They all seemed to run fine for me, but I couldn't see what either the "chromatic" or "reducer" were meant to be doing. Looked like an untouched image to me.

jackbnimble_06sep2014.gif

Reworked a bunch of stuff to get the game compatible with iOS devices. Seems as though the rain will be disabled for lower end hardware (iPad 1/2, iPhone 3GS, etc.).
I've set it so that weather effects will disable if they game ever loses any frames - should be flawless on iPad Retine/iPhone 5 and onwards.

Jobbs

Banned
I'm running a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780. They all seemed to run fine for me, but I couldn't see what either the "chromatic" or "reducer" were meant to be doing. Looked like an untouched image to me.

thanks. :) chromatic and reducer weren't configured to have a noticeable effect in that demo.

honestly I'm currently a bit confused, it's just a big crapshoot who it works for or doesn't work for. There's no real pattern in what cards work or don't work, either, as I said Noogy's 660ti won't work and someone else's 660ti did. any ideas what types of important differences there might be, one PC to the next? Could it be some kind of Open GL thing? It's hard to understate the trickiness of troubleshooting when your in house computers can't reproduce the problem.

jackbnimble_06sep2014.gif

Reworked a bunch of stuff to get the game compatible with iOS devices. Seems as though the rain will be disabled for lower end hardware (iPad 1/2, iPhone 3GS, etc.).
I've set it so that weather effects will disable if they game ever loses any frames - should be flawless on iPad Retine/iPhone 5 and onwards.

looks great, love the layering. :)

Five

Banned
I wish I could participate in the great shader trial of 2014, but my PC's been in the shop for the past couple weeks.

Are you using different shader languages between them? Like HLSL vs GLSL? I know that GameMaker:Studio will compile a few different shading languages, so I've gotten into trouble before when I copy/paste different shaders into my game where one would work fine and another not. Granted, everything always worked fine on my machine, but then other people report problems. I think someone nailed it down to compiling on W8 and running on W7, but I might be misremembering or confusing it with a different issue.

thanks. :) chromatic and reducer weren't configured to have a noticeable effect in that demo.

honestly I'm currently a bit confused, it's just a big crapshoot who it works for or doesn't work for. There's no real pattern in what cards work or don't work, either, as I said Noogy's 660ti won't work and someone else's 660ti did. any ideas what types of important differences there might be, one PC to the next? Could it be some kind of Open GL thing? It's hard to understate the trickiness of troubleshooting when your in house computers can't reproduce the problem.

I didn't give it a shot, but I'll try to get to it tomorrow.

I'd be asking for driver versions as well. Some Nvidia drivers (especially betas, in my experience) can absolutely break some OpenGL/DirectX stuff in certain games, whereas an older driver (or newer if they fix it) won't have the same problem. I don't think it would really boil down to the graphics card, unless a card doesn't support or run a certain range of drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom