• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five

Banned
I'd rank them bottom left, bottom center, top right, top left, then top center, from best to good (none of them are bad).

aesthetically i prefer the bottom left but if she's an action-do-stuff lady she should probably have short hair or tie it up.

Speaking as someone with hair past his shoulders, I can safely say that each of the styles would get in her face during action sequences realistically. Each of them have long, fantastic bangs which are super cute but hard to see through.

Galdelico

Hello,
I'd like to introduce myself. I'm the lead programmer and combat designer for our 2D fighting game, Fearless Night. I've had an account here for a few months, but haven't found the chance to post in this thread.

Thought I'd start off by showing the stage we've been working hard on. If anyone is curious about the process of creating a stage for the game I've thought about putting together a dev blog.

Screenshots:
throneroom_quad.JPG

throneroom_screen.JPG

throneroom_screen2.JPG

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhY27ujBHzk

For anyone who wants to try it out, here's the latest alpha build (for Windows only).
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54811597/FearlessNightAlpha.zip

Looks great!
Also, thumbs up for the 3D backgrounds. They really have a sweet, 2D feel that already blends well with the characters.

Looking forward to see more fighters!

Ahhh, so I'm back from meeting a few industry buddies at EGX. It was great fun!
Whilst I've been 'networking', Kiefen the other designer/artist I mainly build the levels with has been making the game look super pretty!

Jon our programmer made some sweet exponential fog shader to work in orthographic mode. Plus he also made a fresnel/rim lighting shader that we're using on the character, bushes & trees, amongst other things. Need to get my mist back in though! We're going to add some rolling fog that drops of over the chasms eventually :)

F-Pina

Ahhh, so I'm back from meeting a few industry buddies at EGX. It was great fun!
Whilst I've been 'networking', Kiefen the other designer/artist I mainly build the levels with has been making the game look super pretty!

Jon our programmer made some sweet exponential fog shader to work in orthographic mode. Plus he also made a fresnel/rim lighting shader that we're using on the character, bushes & trees, amongst other things. Need to get my mist back in though! We're going to add some rolling fog that drops of over the chasms eventually :)

Looks good dude!

F-Pina

Hello,
I'd like to introduce myself. I'm the lead programmer and combat designer for our 2D fighting game, Fearless Night. I've had an account here for a few months, but haven't found the chance to post in this thread.

Thought I'd start off by showing the stage we've been working hard on. If anyone is curious about the process of creating a stage for the game I've thought about putting together a dev blog.

Screenshots:
throneroom_quad.JPG

throneroom_screen.JPG

throneroom_screen2.JPG

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhY27ujBHzk

For anyone who wants to try it out, here's the latest alpha build (for Windows only).
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54811597/FearlessNightAlpha.zip

This looks really lovely.
Congrats on the great style man.

Jobbs

Banned
Have some slug like creatures crawling on the walls

Yeah, traditionally, that would be the perfect place to put something that juts out of the wall occasionally (spear trap, clawing hand, snapping eel) or an enemy that flies back and forth between the walls.

Right now I'm imaging a sort of beetle creature that hugs one of the walls for a few seconds, then slowly buzzes to the other wall at a slightly different height. Its pattern wouldn't be completely regular, but it would keep within a predefined height range and have a set range for how long it could hang on a given wall. Maybe that still feels too patterned, though.

thanks, guys, and I took the slug idea to heart and thought it was a good idea, so last night I kinda whipped one up. It's got a slimy tail, which it uses to sling slimy projectiles.

WeeklyPeriodicAphid.gif

more importantly, when you kill them, their husk remains stuck in place and can be used as a platform, which potentially allows early access through here (since normally you'd need the multijump), I thought about it for a minute, checked the map, and decided I was okay with it.

Newest trailer for GunWorld, taken from last weeks build. As the game gets closer to completion we've finalized some of the main features that we hope people will enjoy. Our seed mechanic is a simple equipment menu that allows players to plant Gun Seeds anywhere they choose. It gives players an inventory and a choice over which Gun fits a given scenario while still embracing the main narrative element of our game.

Levels are designed to feature pros and cons for every gun, allowing the player to experiment and determine the best way to use the few Gun Seeds they are given per level.

GunWorld Trailer

friken

thanks, guys, and I took the slug idea to heart and thought it was a good idea, so last night I kinda whipped one up. It's got a slimy tail, which it uses to sling slimy projectiles.

WeeklyPeriodicAphid.gif

more importantly, when you kill them, their husk remains stuck in place and can be used as a platform, which potentially allows early access through here (since normally you'd need the multijump), I thought about it for a minute, checked the map, and decided I was okay with it.

awesome... nice idea and implementation. One thing that caught my eye is the z order of the slug. I think it should be on top. The hard flat edge of the level looks like there is a one pix black gap between it and the slug.

Another use for slug would be crawling on a background wall, top down angle on the slug. Could make use of the depth having the slug jump out from background scaling it up a bit as it jumps on you.

Pehesse

Gamepad support, yeah!

61bd37b4-1c36-4350-ba95-a808ad3e2915.jpg

It's only for the fighting segment for now, but if I managed to make it work there, I'm confident it'll work in the VN segment as well, since there's no timing to worry about :-D I've been testing it for so long on keyboard, though, I think I'd still rather play it on keyboard... that, and the 360 pad isn't the greatest for brawlers for me. But if it hints at how it could possibly work on Vita... hmm.. one can dream :-D

Jobbs

Banned
Gamepad support, yeah!

congrats... I remember the first time I got gamepads working in my game. it's the moment when it started to feel real. was a nice feeling when I could just send the build over to my brother and he could play the game on his 360 gamepad -- no explaining awkwardly positioned key presses on a keyboard anymore. just play it.

awesome... nice idea and implementation. One thing that caught my eye is the z order of the slug. I think it should be on top. The hard flat edge of the level looks like there is a one pix black gap between it and the slug.

Another use for slug would be crawling on a background wall, top down angle on the slug. Could make use of the depth having the slug jump out from background scaling it up a bit as it jumps on you.

thank you -- the Z order is deliberate, the style of the game is that the main level environment is above the main level characters and enemies and the art is sort of designed that way. some enemies even have (not often, but a couple times) strange looking feet because they aren't meant to be seen really. XD

I'd rank them bottom left, bottom center, top right, top left, then top center, from best to good (none of them are bad).

Speaking as someone with hair past his shoulders, I can safely say that each of the styles would get in her face during action sequences realistically. Each of them have long, fantastic bangs which are super cute but hard to see through.

So what you are saying is I should have hair obstructing the view in first person :p

Yeah I was thinking something like the top right bangs with the rest of the bottom left hair. Thanks for the input everyone!

Pehesse

congrats... I remember the first time I got gamepads working in my game. it's the moment when it started to feel real. was a nice feeling when I could just send the build over to my brother and he could play the game on his 360 gamepad -- no explaining awkwardly positioned key presses on a keyboard anymore. just play it.
It certainly feels like it indeed :-D I'll see if playtesters feel the same, too :-D And as an added bonus, I've even added the dashes to the triggers... feels even more natural that way :)

_machine

I can't remember if it was already posted, but There Came an Echo was on the cover of IGM this month:
proxy.jpg

...and that is pretty damn cool.

Moosichu

Got my attacks working :)
Thank you everyone for the help!

Also, managed something really cool. Scrolling room transitions!

I draw the application surface to a separate surface, change rooms and then draw the new surface outside the room and pan the camera accross it. Here it is in action:
Here is the draw action code:

Code:
///Room Change Transitions
if(global.transition) {
    if((global.transition_type == TRANSITION_SCROLL) and surface_exists(global.screenshotsurface)) {
        draw_set_alpha(1);
        if(global.transition_direction == SCROLL_RIGHT) {
            draw_surface(global.screenshotsurface,-view_wview,global.contr_player_y-(view_hview/2));
        } else if (global.transition_direction == SCROLL_LEFT) {
            draw_surface(global.screenshotsurface, room_width, global.contr_player_y-(view_hview/2));
        } else if (global.transition_direction == SCROLL_DOWN) {
            draw_surface(global.screenshotsurface, global.contr_player_y-(view_wview/2), -view_hview);
        } else if (global.transition_direction == SCROLL_UP) {
            draw_surface(global.screenshotsurface, global.contr_player_y-(view_wview/2), room_height);
        }
    } //end transition scroll
}

However, I have issue. Although it looks good there, I have a seperate piece of code which applies a 'night-time' filter to everything. (simply draws a black rectangle with an alpha value of 0.5 over the whole scene.) This causes problems with this though as the transition becomes twice as dark as everything else.

Code:
surface_x = view_xview;
surface_y = view_yview;
if(surface_x < 0) { surface_x = 0; }
else if (surface_x > room_width - view_wview) { surface_x = room_width - view_wview ; }
draw_surface(night_surface, surface_x, surface_y);

Any solutions on how to solve this?

Five

Banned
@Moosichu
I'm not sure those two code segments are enough to reveal the bug, but at a guess the two most likely culprits are 1. blackness gets saved to the screenshot and then drawn over top again, or 2. there are two active night filter objects during transition and each are drawing the night filter. If it's the first, just disable drawing the filter while transitioning. If it's the second, see about disabling the first night filter object earlier.

So what you are saying is I should have hair obstructing the view in first person :p

Yeah I was thinking something like the top right bangs with the rest of the bottom left hair. Thanks for the input everyone!

Ha, no. What I meant to imply was that sometimes you have to take style over substance. Just because it would realistically get in her eyes doesn't mean you have to animate it doing that. Unless you can think of some way to make her hair part of the HUD! :p

[/img]http://giant.gfycat.com/WeeklyPeriodicAphid.gif[/img]

Yeah, it looks great. I especially like how it serves extra utility. I'm curious, though, how you visually separate "this alive slug is harmful" from "this dead slug is a safe platform". Most games with entities of similar functionality have them glow bright red while dangerous and then cool down to a neutral or cold color afterward.

mantrakid

I truly dont mean this as a self promo post, but Im mad proud and just wanted to share with you guys. My game Cosmochoria had a write up in PC Gamer today as it's now available on Steam Early Access. I honestly feel like with the help of the indie community / kickstarter community and so many others, my dream is finally coming up milhouse.

Huge love & thanks for the constant inspiration, homies.

PCGamer:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/09/29/cosmochoria-a-space-gardening-shooter-hitting-early-access-today/

Steam Page:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/293240

I truly dont mean this as a self promo post, but Im mad proud and just wanted to share with you guys. My game Cosmochoria had a write up in PC Gamer today as it's now available on Steam Early Access. I honestly feel like with the help of the indie community / kickstarter community and so many others, my dream is finally coming up milhouse.

PCGamer:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/09/29/cosmochoria-a-space-gardening-shooter-hitting-early-access-today/

Steam Page:

game's visuals are really good. congrats on being on SA!

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

PCGamer:

Steam Page:

You know your audience. :)

hchlOsw.png

Adorable game, and it looks really well made. Will be checking out on Steam for sure.

Popstar

PCGamer:

Steam Page:
Congratulations man!

Redeemed my key from the Kickstarter yesterday night. Just about to play!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Soooo I just heard music from my game in a Subway commercial.

Boy I remember when I thought "why would I pay extra for exclusive rights to the music? Hah, I can get this music slightly cheaper without that!" Then again, this is hilarious and awesome.

Jobbs

Banned
Yeah, it looks great. I especially like how it serves extra utility. I'm curious, though, how you visually separate "this alive slug is harmful" from "this dead slug is a safe platform". Most games with entities of similar functionality have them glow bright red while dangerous and then cool down to a neutral or cold color afterward.

I made a "dead" frame where it clearly looks more like a husk or a shell than a living creature. I also have for now added a blue hue while it's dead, to make that clear indifferentiation, but honestly I may take that out. This is something I went back and forth on, and probably a sign of a good designer on your part that it's the first thing you thought of.

I'm kinda of the mindset now -- if you don't have the intellectual curiosity to try standing on the broken husk then maybe play another game!

Five

Banned

Boy I remember when I thought "why would I pay extra for exclusive rights to the music? Hah, I can get this music slightly cheaper without that!" Then again, this is hilarious and awesome.

That's funny! I guess you get what you pay for. When you were originally getting your music, did you just assume no one else would run into and use it?

I made a "dead" frame where it clearly looks more like a husk or a shell than a living creature. I also have for now added a blue hue while it's dead, to make that clear indifferentiation, but honestly I may take that out. This is something I went back and forth on, and probably a sign of a good designer on your part that it's the first thing you thought of.

I'm kinda of the mindset now -- if you don't have the intellectual curiosity to try standing on the broken husk then maybe play another game!

I like it. Thanks for the explanation.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
That's funny! I guess you get what you pay for. When you were originally getting your music, did you just assume no one else would run into and use it?

Yeah pretty much. :p

I can't remember if it was already posted, but There Came an Echo was on the cover of IGM this month:
proxy.jpg

...and that is pretty damn cool.

That's awesome!

I've just released my first indie game, Jack B: Nimble - you've probably seen it's progress in this very thread.

jackbnimble_06sep2014.gif

^What it looks like in GIF form

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64yqwVYuXLQ
^What it looks like in video form

Well, it's out now and available on iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=918891211&mt=8

Give it a go, support your bro ;D

Will do, congrats on the release!

Cross posting from the screenshot saturday thread, just because!

LastingPowerlessAnnashummingbird.gif

This game looks so good, so so good.

PCGamer:

Steam Page:

Congratulations man! Hope everything goes well for you!

See, that is almost more interesting since it could help to create some kind of bizarre mental connection that ties Subway customers to your game!

I've just released my first indie game, Jack B: Nimble - you've probably seen it's progress in this very thread.

jackbnimble_06sep2014.gif

^What it looks like in GIF form

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64yqwVYuXLQ
^What it looks like in video form

Well, it's out now and available on iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=918891211&mt=8

Give it a go, support your bro ;D

Awesome! Hope it all goes well for you!

Jobbs

Banned
I like it. Thanks for the explanation.

I went with the blue for now.

(click for big/long)

I placed them carefully and determined it's technically possible to get up this shaft without the multijump ability, but damned if that shit is too annoying for me to try to do. XD

Five

Banned

PCGamer:

Steam Page:

Congratulations, looks awesome!

Bit-Bit

I had a futuristic moment this weekend.

A couple of friends came over to party and I've gotten the prototype for my cellphone game completely done with leaderboards. So, using Construct 2, I shared it on a Local IP and everyone was able to play the game using Chrome for Android.

It was a proud moment for me to see everyone enjoying something that I've been working on for so long.

Also glad that this happened because one of the guest found an exploit that allowed him to score 700+ points. Most people would get to about 100 points and would be overwhelmed.

So I was able to use this little impromptu game testing session to tweak my game and fix the exploit.

Pretty awesome.

friken

I went with the blue for now.

(click for big/long)

I placed them carefully and determined it's technically possible to get up this shaft without the multijump ability, but damned if that shit is too annoying for me to try to do. XD

Awesome, looks really good. Also the zorder thing that caught my eye is gone. I think it was the completely flat edge the slug was moving on that caught my eye on the last post. Hmmm I actually looked back at the orig and I guess it wasn't completely flat. today it isn't catching my eye like it did either. I guess a grain of salt is always applicable to feedback lol.

OnPoint

Hi all! My name's Chris, and I'm one of the leads at Buffalo Game Space, a nonprofit organization based in WNY that aims to help connect programmers, artists, musicians and designers and help them make games. ...

I just saw this back a few pages and I can't believe I missed it!

We could really use your help, whether it's tweets, or backing, or whatever you can offer. I've been a member of the BGS for about a year and a half now, and it's been instrumental in my growth and my team's growth as developers.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1986200402/buffalo-game-space

_machine

PCGamer:

Steam Page:
Congrats, man. It's definitely something you should be extremely proud of and I can't wait to try it out once I have the time for it. It'll probably be after the Early Access, but I'm happy the game will have gotten a lot of player feedback and involvement which hopefully will make it even better. Good luck on your journey forward with Cosmochoria and be sure to keep us posted as well :)

missile

GulAtiCa

Getting very close to finishing my optimizations for my Wii U game (ZaciSa's Last Stand). Using layered canvases to help reduce framerate issues. After that, I plan to finish up the demo for the game and submit it by tomorrow.

Feels good to be in the programming mood again.

MauMau

Banned
Getting very close to finishing my optimizations for my Wii U game (ZaciSa's Last Stand). Using layered canvases to help reduce framerate issues. After that, I plan to finish up the demo for the game and submit it by tomorrow.

Feels good to be in the programming mood again.

Congratulations! Good luck with that :)

razu

I can confirm that lining up hexagons and squares is not fun, nor easy! These are just test bits of level, they're not arranged into anything useful at the moment. But hexagons let me add more curved sections to the levels. Perhaps triangular connectors would be good too... I shall experiment further, (just thought that while typing this, cool!).

This shot shows the gates that are now the core of the levels. You hit them in order before the landing pad lights up. (The order is not currently shown.)

The gems are now bonus points, and a way to an extra life. Say 100 gems = 1 life... (inspired, huh?).

All part of the more positive nature of Chopper Mike 2.

Next feature will be hearts for energy, that deplete on contact with red blocks. Rather than instant death/restart. That way I can put the red blocks in earlier. They did always get the big reaction :D 'Expert Mode' could always give you only 1 heart per life. Not sure yet.

Feels good to be making progress! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom