• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

MauMau

Banned
Whoa, completely different look to what we've seen before here. A new artist? Definitely a big improvement, in my view.

As HellBlazer said, it's looking a lot better than it used to. Keep up the good work!

Looks nice. Looking forward to the music being added.

Thanks guys! The team really appreciates your comments. Yeah, some months back we did a do-over. Threw out all of the art, and started on a whole new art direction. Glad you like the results :)

domino99

Neo Member
Hey guys I just launched my kickstarter check it out!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/865069666/beyond-human-pc-mac-ps4-psvita
8517c7d1d175c09fd6ecddbc13d1ecb7_large.gif

f5f5442fe99031323fc65a72c4ef5b92_large.gif

e7a2c64b5187323005472310d5b1d1fa_large.gif

Feep

Banned
Finished my first day of recording with Yuri Lowenthal, Wil Wheaton, Cassandra Lee Morris, Ashly Burch, and Laura Bailey.

They were all fantastic, but oh my GOD at Laura Bailey. She's incredible.

Blizzard

Banned
Finished my first day of recording with Yuri Lowenthal, Wil Wheaton, Cassandra Lee Morris, Ashly Burch, and Laura Bailey.

They were all fantastic, but oh my GOD at Laura Bailey. She's incredible.
She's apparently done approximately a billion voices: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1154161/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

I haven't played or watched a lot of those, but I have probably heard her as Lucina (Smash Brothers Wii U) and Akali (League of Legends).

TunaUppercut

Neo Member
Hello,
I'd like to introduce myself. I'm the lead programmer and combat designer for our 2D fighting game, Fearless Night. I've had an account here for a few months, but haven't found the chance to post in this thread.

Thought I'd start off by showing the stage we've been working hard on. If anyone is curious about the process of creating a stage for the game I've thought about putting together a dev blog.

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhY27ujBHzk

For anyone who wants to try it out, here's the latest alpha build (for Windows only).
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54811597/FearlessNightAlpha.zip

This is looking very good. very impressive.

Ashodin

Similar VA response, Brooks Jackson (my narrator) is a fucking fantastic VA. He really sells the voice I'm going for (and is what you hear in the trailer)!

A&B02.jpg

Been thinking about what to do after Ori and the Blind Forest launches... So I started blocking out some character art. Diablo and Dark Souls, we're coming for you :)

Dascu

http://www.warsoup.com/files/A&B02.jpg[IMG]

Been thinking about what to do after Ori and the Blind Forest launches... So I started blocking out some character art. Diablo and Dark Souls, we're coming for you :)[/QUOTE]
I like it. Top-down? Side-scroller or actual third-person?

Ito

aaByw0j.jpg

(HyperLightDrifter)

Please don't make me list all the games that used some cutscene like that one. I'm not involved in that project, but I don't think your comment is helping its creators.

Hey guys I just launched my kickstarter check it out!

Best of lucks, your game is looking great. We need more quality Metroidvanias, specially since all Nintendo can do about it is Other M.

I've just released my first indie game, Jack B: Nimble - you've probably seen it's progress in this very thread.

So sweet... I love games that use the Game Boy pallete so much! Nice work!

This reminds me of those Super Metroid sections where you could get early some health/missile upgrades if you were skilled enough performing the wall-jump.

It adds a lot of replayability (did I say it right?) value, and I totally trust your game design skills to implement this mechanic the right way. So, for 90901509th time, exploration in Ghost Song is going to taste like heavens.

I did some more freaky enemy designs today. I know the mimic chest is a little played out right now, but damn it if they're not fun!

Loving your usage of colours and your character design since I saw your avatar. I'd be glad to see some actual screenshot of the game, or at least a mockup :)

Nibel

Please don't make me list all the games that used some cutscene like that one. I'm not involved in that project, but I don't think your comment is helping its creators.

First off, I just pointed out that there is a resemblance between those two - that specific scene just reminded me of HLD; the game still looks interesting.

Secondly, you've made me kind of curious and I would actually like a list. :)

aaByw0j.jpg

(HyperLightDrifter)

Seid ihr das Essen? Nein, wir sind die Jäger!

Seriously, both do pretty much evoke Attack On Titan. Which isn't a bad thing, Titans are fucking terrifying for a whole number of reasons. Which makes the thought of bringing down these fuckers even more cathartic.

Pehesse

What's new: new and improved hit effects! We've got a few more basic hit effects, directional hit effects, and smoke effects on ground contact. I'm particularly glad to have the smoke be correctly in front/behind the characters to create a bit of depth, as I'm using separate front and back smoke animation sprites :-D It's such a simple trick, yet it adds enormously compared to a single smoke sprite placed in front of the character, and the memory consuption basically amounts to the same thing.

Here's all of that in action, along with some of the earlier upgrades, like gamepad support (though you can't really tell just from these):

FrightenedIncredibleBillygoat.gif

FairDismalAmphibian.gif

There's even some technical stuff for players who want to play like that (even though it's pretty relaxed and slow compared to any fighting game), like dash/move cancels. Here's what it can look like when things get hectic with counters and the like:

InstructiveEquatorialFrillneckedlizard.gif

For those who care, all of these were taken in hard mode, with a 40STR Honey against a 22DEF Little Sun, meaning Honey has been training quite extensively during the VN segment (more likely, you'd only reach 25-30STR at that point by doing regular training), but hasn't been to see Little Sun's exhibition match previously, which would cause her defence to drop lower :-D Still, with those stats, even hard mode is proving to be manageable!

I still need to rework the speed line effects, but we're getting to the point where I'm getting ready to move on to the next character. I'll work on the unmask event first, just to make sure it works and I can reuse it for all matches later (it's what happens when you lose and you have a chance to run away before getting unmasked), and once that's done, I'll start on the second opponent, finally!

Nibel

Seid ihr das Essen? Nein, wir sind die Jäger!

Seriously, both do pretty much evoke Attack On Titan. Which isn't a bad thing, Titans are fucking terrifying for a whole number of reasons. Which makes the thought of bringing down these fuckers even more cathartic.

I have some AoT references in my work as well; I know the show gets a lot of shit from various people but I enjoy it a lot and love many of the designs.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Congrats Noogy! Also check your PMs when you get a chance! :D

So I've been thinking about something and I could really use some feedback.

I released a game (Cook, Serve, Delicious) about two years ago, and have been steadily improving it since. The price has always been $10 on PC, and I participate in very few sales. The lowest it's ever been is $2.49 for the Steam Winter sale for six hours. Other than that, just a few 30-60% off sales every now and then, and only bundled once with Humble.

I say all this because I always feel that pricing is vitally important to any game. You have to respect your game and audience with a price point you feel the game is worth, and not slash it down to $1 sales only months later.

I'm about to launch a huge patch for the game that will add a ton of modes for free. I'm wondering that with these new modes, there's a ton more value to the game, and I feel it deserves a better price point, from $9.99 to $12.99. At the same time I dunno how well that will go over. I mean, current owners won't be penalized in any way. This isn't DLC. But at the same time this patch adds a LOT to what's already there. Plus it gets the pricing ready for a possible console release.

Have any of y'all raised the price of your game before? Or seen other games do it? What do you think?

GulAtiCa

Congratulations! Good luck with that :)

Thanks! Will be interesting to see if sales increase or not.

I look forward to Thanksgiving & Christmas holidays. Plan to do big sale on the game for like 2 weeks during that period. Like something like $0.69 or so (normally $1.99).

Congrats Noogy! Also check your PMs when you get a chance! :D

So I've been thinking about something and I could really use some feedback.

I released a game (Cook, Serve, Delicious) about two years ago, and have been steadily improving it since. The price has always been $10 on PC, and I participate in very few sales. The lowest it's ever been is $2.49 for the Steam Winter sale for six hours. Other than that, just a few 30-60% off sales every now and then, and only bundled once with Humble.

I say all this because I always feel that pricing is vitally important to any game. You have to respect your game and audience with a price point you feel the game is worth, and not slash it down to $1 sales only months later.

I'm about to launch a huge patch for the game that will add a ton of modes for free. I'm wondering that with these new modes, there's a ton more value to the game, and I feel it deserves a better price point, from $9.99 to $12.99. At the same time I dunno how well that will go over. I mean, current owners won't be penalized in any way. This isn't DLC. But at the same time this patch adds a LOT to what's already there. Plus it gets the pricing ready for a possible console release.

Have any of y'all raised the price of your game before? Or seen other games do it? What do you think?

as a consumer why not just treat the patch as a $5 dlc?

and for those people already with the game it could be considered free if you can somehow release keys for it to unlock it or something. as a loyalty thing. idk. that way no one can feel shafted i guess? idk. wording is key and if you lay out what the patch does. i'm sure the price increase should be fine if the content is there.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
as a consumer why not just treat the patch as a $5 dlc?

and for those people already with the game it could be considered free if you can somehow release keys for it to unlock it or something. as a loyalty thing. idk. that way no one can feel shafted i guess? idk. wording is key and if you lay out what the patch does. i'm sure the price increase should be fine if the content is there.

You know, the more I think about it the only people that may feel slighted in this are new customers...which is never a good thing. Hmmm.

You know, the more I think about it the only people that may feel slighted in this are new customers...which is never a good thing. Hmmm.

an announcement in advanced could help. that way they can buy the game before the new content and price increase drops. at least they could lessen the complaints.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
an announcement in advanced could help. that way they can buy the game before the new content and price increase drops. at least they could lessen the complaints.

Yeah that's true. The more I think about it the more I feel like it might be a bad idea. Thanks DM!

Yeah that's true. The more I think about it the more I feel like it might be a bad idea. Thanks DM!

It'll probably work out best this way. it makes you look like youre considerate to both sides. maybe they'll be like these devs deserve the money and more people will buy the game. but anyways. good luck!

Five

Banned
Loving your usage of colours and your character design since I saw your avatar. I'd be glad to see some actual screenshot of the game, or at least a mockup :)

Soon! I get my Windows PC back tomorrow, after over a month without it or GameMaker. Thanks so much! :)

http://www.warsoup.com/files/A&B02.jpg

Been thinking about what to do after Ori and the Blind Forest launches... So I started blocking out some character art. Diablo and Dark Souls, we're coming for you :)

Looks fantastic already! Can't wait to see more, and also to play Ori of course.

Jobbs

Banned
I don't think I like the idea of raising the price of the core game, even if new stuff is being added. It seems like poor messaging. Maybe I'm wrong though.

My gut tells me to either make it free or if it's truly too much to do for free, put it out as DLC.

I don't think I like the idea of raising the price of the core game, even if new stuff is being added. It seems like poor messaging. Maybe I'm wrong though.

My gut tells me to either make it free or if it's truly too much to do for free, put it out as DLC.

I agree with this.

Agreed with Jobbs and Ashodin, for what it's worth. If the game has been out two years already, it's doubtful that raising the price will encourage more people to jump in, regardless of new features.On the other hand, some marketing along the lines of "now with more content for the same price!" could possibly sway some people though. Obviously I don't know your sales levels, but successfully getting a bunch of new customers to pay full price two years down the line doesn't seem like such a bad deal.

Ashodin

Phew, I had some major issues with Stage 1-2b, and I think it fixed itself(?) or I fixed it somehow. I'm glad too, it was a real problem I had hoped wasn't caused by memory issues.

Either way, work resumes, and I'm working on a way to make the drag and drop easier.

Ito

First off, I just pointed out that there is a resemblance between those two - that specific scene just reminded me of HLD; the game still looks interesting.

Secondly, you've made me kind of curious and I would actually like a list. :)

You had to make me search, didn't you? I asked you not to make me go through this :(

euus_intro4.gif

Rocket Knight Adventures
tumblr_inline_nbbstnouiC1qil6t6.jpg

Ace Attorney 2
Power%20Rangers%20-%20The%20Movie-3.png

Power Rangers: The Movie (starts as a cutscene, but all I could find was a pic of the boss battle)
sor2_intro3.gif

Streets of Rage 2 (This is similar but we're lacking the characters)
shinobi3-7.png

Shinobi III: Revenge of the Ninja Master
108.png

Super Mario RPG

My point is... this kind of composition is really frequent in video game openings and cutscenes, and even more common in box art or book/comicbooks covers.

I'm sure you didn't mean any harm with your comment, but it's really easy to get offended when it seems like all they have to say about your hard work is that "it looks like x". At least that's what happens to me.

I'm not one of those who thinks that everyone should comment on everything. But if you're going to do it anyway, why not trying to help? Why not pointing out errors that might have gone unnoticed by the author? If you like what you're seeing, why wait till someone implies that you don't to say it? Kind words are another way to help.

Just my 2 cents; I'm not saying you don't want to help or anything, it's just that this is something I've been wanting to say out loud for a looong time :)

What's new: new and improved hit effects! We've got a few more basic hit effects, directional hit effects, and smoke effects on ground contact. I'm particularly glad to have the smoke be correctly in front/behind the characters to create a bit of depth, as I'm using separate front and back smoke animation sprites :-D It's such a simple trick, yet it adds enormously compared to a single smoke sprite placed in front of the character, and the memory consuption basically amounts to the same thing.

Amazing work here, as always. The combat is looking really deep. I'm intrigued about the other gameplay elements besides the combat that you'll put in the game. If I remember correctly there'll be a little bit of customization, level grind, and adventure, right?

Here's my working elevator in gif format

Cool! Why do you fade the screen to black? Perhaps you are teleporting the player to a different map? Otherwise it would be somewhat annoying when you could just animate the upper door and make the character walk out the elevator.

I'm only going to post a little animation for a cutscene. I tried a different animation technique this time, the trusty and old-school animation drawn frame-by-frame. It turned out pretty nice, but it's a lot of work. I don't know how Pehesse can take it!

V424BB3.gif

I call this monster Chicken Wings.

Cool! Why do you fade the screen to black? Perhaps you are teleporting the player to a different map? Otherwise it would be somewhat annoying when you could just animate the upper door and make the character walk out the elevator.

I did it because I was unsure whether the tile would allow for my character to appear underneath the elevator door when transported. If he was above, when he transports it would look like he's on top of the door. I'll see if I can make it so there's no need to transition as it is the same map.

Raise the price to $12, but do a sale at $6 to celebrate the new content. Old costumers get new content for free, new costumers get a sense of urgency to get the game now before the price goes up.

Burt

As much as I liked developing in Construct 2, releasing to a platform that basically isn't just web, really sucks. Support is coming, but it's slow. Just a warning to others :)

Also, Jack B. Nimble seems to be going down pretty well with people so far - I've not managed to get anyone to review it yet, but Pocket Gamer interviewed me :)
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Jack+B+Nimble/news.asp?c=61790
Nice interview. Didn't know any of the folks around here were working at the big studios. Jack looks good too!

Mind elaborating on any of the Construct 2 issues you're talking about? It'd be nice to know what I need to look out for, and I'm sure a lot of people here are in the same boat.

SeanNoonan

Nice interview. Didn't know any of the folks around here were working at the big studios. Jack looks good too!

Mind elaborating on any of the Construct 2 issues you're talking about? It'd be nice to know what I need to look out for, and I'm sure a lot of people here are in the same boat.
Well as of the last couple of versions Scirra / Ludei have basically ceased working together, so CocoonJS is no longer a means to release your game to iOS (this is the method I used for Jack B. Nimble...) however you still can use it, just without support or working plugins :D

So that leaves Ejecta (which ran like garbage when I used it last month) and PhoneGap. It seems Scirra are getting behind PhoneGap now, which is great because I pay an Adobe subscription, so it means I get to use that service without limits :) However PhoneGap documentation hasn't been updated in 3 years and is therefore out of date and lacking the detail I was hoping for - I find jumping to and from windows and mac environments to be a pain, especially when I'm not that comfortable with Xcode.

So I'm hoping I can just work out PhoneGap and that it provides the same performance as CocoonJS used to. The caveat being, my app will REQUIRE iOS8 from that point on, because it requires WebGL to be accessed natively rather than via a JS wrapper such as Ejecta or CocoonJS.

I'm probably rambling because this is a source of annoyance for me right now, because a lack of Game Center support is probably effecting my sales and word of mouth a fair bit. If you have any questions, just respond. I'll be in and about the thread over the next few days for sure :D

Mr. RPG

Thanks. I guess I shorthand it as "Ogre Battle meets FFVI", although that's a bit grandiose. But yeah, the easiest way to describe it is essentially as a class-based SRPG along the lines of Ogre Battle:MOTBQ/POLC with a turn-based JRPG battle system instead of auto-combat, along with more in-depth/interactive/explorable environments. So, instead of maps being a collection of capture points posing as towns, there are actual towns, fortifications, and landmarks to explore and interact with in the way your might in a JRPG, which is what you're seeing in that shot.

Very nice. I'm currently working on a tactical RPG myself.

I hope to see a playable demo sometime soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom