• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tash

Thanks! It doesn't have many assets but the ones that are there I made them myself :) what sucks is that I only made them for one target resolution and in anything other than that it scales the assets, which still manage to look good from the devices I've used to test but yeah, next time I'll try to support more target res.

Oh yeah, that's the biggest hurdle developing for mobile. We have a special in-house made tool which scales and creates sprite sets for unity in the resolutions we need. It's pretty neat and saves us a lot of time and headache :)

I am sneaking in a wip screenshot of one of the boss fights we are working on for Oliver&Spike. The shaders are not done thus the boss and Oliver look like made out of plastic and the crystals on the walls don't have shaders either. We are using Unity's mechanim for the in game animations for the boss and have a lot of in house tools which we developed on top of Unity for this. One tip if you plan to work with mechanim: make sure you use a humanoid rig or the generic one. We had a lot of issues due to rigging the boss with a non humanoid rig.

Sorry about the logos and stuff :)
boss_fight.jpg

Ashodin

I'm going to be an expert on group artificial intelligence constructs by the time this thing is over.

Isn't it great once you create a game you know the next project is going to go like 100x faster? That's how I feel about making my game right now. I know SO MUCH more than I did when I first started, it's incredible.

Feep

Banned
Isn't it great once you create a game you know the next project is going to go like 100x faster? That's how I feel about making my game right now. I know SO MUCH more than I did when I first started, it's incredible.
Not if your next project is much larger than your previous one. = D

Wok

Oh yeah, that's the biggest hurdle developing for mobile. We have a special in-house made tool which scales and creates sprite sets for unity in the resolutions we need. It's pretty neat and saves us a lot of time and headache :)

I am sneaking in a wip screenshot of one of the boss fights we are working on for Oliver&Spike. The shaders are not done thus the boss and Oliver look like made out of plastic and the crystals on the walls don't have shaders either. We are using Unity's mechanim for the in game animations for the boss and have a lot of in house tools which we developed on top of Unity for this. One tip if you plan to work with mechanim: make sure you use a humanoid rig or the generic one. We had a lot of issues due to rigging the boss with a non humanoid rig.

Although I am usually well-informed about indie games, I have only discovered this one during the indieDB votes. I am glad this game is made by GAFfers.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm going to be an expert on group artificial intelligence constructs by the time this thing is over.
Are you going to write a blog post and/or thread entry here sharing good AI references and things that you learned to help game developers everywhere?

Because it'd be awesome if you did that. :D

Feep

Banned
Are you going to write a blog post and/or thread entry here sharing good AI references and things that you learned to help game developers everywhere?

Because it'd be awesome if you did that. :D
I haven't done very much outside the realm of easy-to-find references on the subject...though I had to come up with my own implementation of Valve's L4D2 algorithm (which they only describe in general in their powerpoint presentation as "look-ahead path following with local obstacle avoidance"), which uses a separation component and still has trouble with local minima (read: concave traps).

Still tons to do, though. Maybe I'll write up a paper about it when I'm farther along. = D

Dali

oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit I just got the applesauce working holy shiiiiit it's so awesome :DDDDD
Lol, congrats on the breakthrough. Really jealous to see someone working on something and seeing it through. I'm gonna start something tonight... I swear.

Tankshell

Yeah, I would get one of us or a friend to do it for you.

But also, the design and UI work looks hyper slick. Looking forward to trying it!

Yeah we would totally promote your game for you. And it's why you see a lot of indie devs post their game in this thread for exposure (being that someone else needs to post the thread for their game).

You can post in the iOS OT without fear.

Creating your own OT (for an iOS game no less!) will bring on the wrath of GAF.

REALLY love the look of the website and yeah, in general it's a bad idea to pitch your own stuff :)
Remember to add a presskit for download to your site. Good for journos.

Thanks for your kind comments guys, and MANY thanks for the heads up on the OT stance. That could have been a disaster =o)

I have just put the website live: http://handheldpixels.co.uk

The only thing that isn't currently working is the ginormous "download on the appstore" button as I am STILL waiting for approval. Been 7 days now which is above the last 30 day trending average.

Am seriously considering the recommendation of using gamebizwire as mentioned in the OP, anyone have any more experience with them?

Tash

Thanks for your kind comments guys, and MANY thanks for the heads up on the OT stance. That could have been a disaster =o)

I have just put the website live: http://handheldpixels.co.uk

The only thing that isn't currently working is the ginormous "download on the appstore" button as I am STILL waiting for approval. Been 7 days now which is above the last 30 day trending average.

Am seriously considering the recommendation of using gamebizwire as mentioned in the OP, anyone have any more experience with them?

I wouldn't pay for a service. It's very beneficial to send out press releases or review quest yourself since you also have the opportunity to make personal contacts.

Not sure if you've seen it but we got both a press list and some other helpful links (such as gamespress.com which is free) listed on our site.

usea

I like the apple's melting (although they melt from the top when they walk on the acid). I also like the way that activating the power zoomed in and showed the power text.

Blizzard

Banned
I haven't done very much outside the realm of easy-to-find references on the subject...though I had to come up with my own implementation of Valve's L4D2 algorithm (which they only describe in general in their powerpoint presentation as "look-ahead path following with local obstacle avoidance"), which uses a separation component and still has trouble with local minima (read: concave traps).

Still tons to do, though. Maybe I'll write up a paper about it when I'm farther along. = D
Cool, I look forward to it if you have time. I still have the huge (classic) Russel and Norvig, or something, AI textbook lying around to read. I'd assume it was hugely outdated by now, but sometimes it feels like AI progress is super slow so perhaps it still has something worthwhile in it.

Ashodin

I like the apple's melting (although they melt from the top when they walk on the acid). I also like the way that activating the power zoomed in and showed the power text.

Thanks man! I actually just thought that I can create them dissolving from the bottom up when they walk on it, I'll get to work on that tomorrow!

beril

Gunman Clive is now finally released on the European eShop (january 3 in America). I'll post a bit about my experience of developing and publishing for the 3DS soon, but first comes the dreaded wait for sales numbers...

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Gunman Clive is now finally released on the European eShop (january 3 in America). I'll post a bit about my experience of developing and publishing for the 3DS soon, but first comes the dreaded wait for sales numbers...
Congrats! Hope it does as well as you expect. It's certainly deserves it

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
WHOA WHOA WHOA

THEYRE TALKING ABOUT COOK SERVE DELICIOUS ON THE GIANT BOMBCAST!

wasn't someone here working on it!?

GOOD JOB MAN!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Anyone interested in Game Maker Studio should definitely have a look at YYG's sale. 50% off Studio Professional (normally $100, down to $50). Clicky Really fantastic deal for anyone who is interested in that side of GM.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
yup, i just found the ot. crraaaazy

grats chubigans!

Thanks! Sales took off like a rocket after they mentioned it. I think I have to add a "Shoemaker" pasta recipe now... :D

Anyone interested in Game Maker Studio should definitely have a look at YYG's sale. 50% off Studio Professional (normally $100, down to $50). Clicky Really fantastic deal for anyone who is interested in that side of GM.

I absolutely recommend GMS for those who are less proficient in coding. Cook, Serve, Delicious for iPad was made with GMS, using the iOS export.

Ashodin

Thanks! Sales took off like a rocket after they mentioned it. I think I have to add a "Shoemaker" pasta recipe now... :D

I absolutely recommend GMS for those who are less proficient in coding. Cook, Serve, Delicious for iPad was made with GMS, using the iOS export.

Damn that's what I want to eventually hear for my game, haha. Some wide news audience get a hold of it and sales take off, that would be amazing.

Ashodin

MR. WAVE ALPHA 0.9.9.2 RELEASE
LXXob.png

http://db.tt/Bt3yAnBe - Click here to play!

• Power! Hot Applesauce can be used! Press "S" to absorb the power and use it on the enemies for testing!
  • Changed some animations
  • More graphical changes

Controls are on the page, but if you can't see them:

A = Left
D = Right
Shift = Suck in enemies / shoot cooked shot
S = Absorb Enemies (Non-functional)
Space = Jump

Have fun! Let me know if there are any bugs!

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Crap why didn't I ask here. Can anyone recommend the best XNA and/or Kinect development books? Kindle options preferred but if not that's still cool. Need em for my dissertation and I have precious little time to learn!

Ashodin

I'm changing the resolution of the game - starting to think about how layouts work has led me to realize that the game needs to be just a bit bigger. I can't go full 720p (the sprites get too small for you to see!) but going to 960 x 540 works better than 420p.

Nice! I noticed they're on sale on Steam as well, but it might be better to have a standalone license for this one.

Is it worth going with the upgrade to Professional, or are the Standard features good enough?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Nice! I noticed they're on sale on Steam as well, but it might be better to have a standalone license for this one.

Is it worth going with the upgrade to Professional, or are the Standard features good enough?

For that price, it's worth going professional, easy. I'm out, so I can't look at the features at the moment, but I will be buying Studio Pro during the sale because 50% off is crazy good for that much power.

charsace

Crap why didn't I ask here. Can anyone recommend the best XNA and/or Kinect development books? Kindle options preferred but if not that's still cool. Need em for my dissertation and I have precious little time to learn!

XNA 4.0 game development by example
XNA game studio 4.0 programming

Ashodin

Yeahhhhhhhh taking a break from the main stuff to work on the title screen / world map. So much fun when you stop working directly at something and concentrate on something else.

Yeahhhhhhhh taking a break from the main stuff to work on the title screen / world map. So much fun when you stop working directly at something and concentrate on something else.

I can never stick with something all the way through and bunny hop between things daily, sometimes this is good because you return to something with a fresh mind and notice flaws.

Ashodin

I can never stick with something all the way through and bunny hop between things daily, sometimes this is good because you return to something with a fresh mind and notice flaws.

Well it's very refreshing, yes! Working on an "interactive" title screen, those are pretty cool compared to just "images" on screen haha

Following on from my previous post i started making some promo mockups, the idea is to introduce races,characters that will be used in the final game. Heres 2 done so far

Note: None of the art was created by me, all i have done here is choose the backgrounds, setup the character positions, text e.t.c

I want to slowly introduce new backdrops and more importantly animating as i progress. Still no name for my game yet.

Elves

meettheelvescomplete.png

Undead

meettheundeadcomplete.png

More races/backdrops to come :)

cbox

I'd say pick a colour palette, and stick to 2 fonts max. Also, your trees are one pixel dimension, but the ones in the background are just shrunk down. You might want to redraw the trees in the background to be smaller, and a bit darker. Just my 2 cents :)

hi everyone

sorry if this is a bit shamelessly self-promotive, but Dawn Patrol's very first game just hit the App Store today...

It's called Robotanika, it's a two-handed tactical tablet shooter, and it stars a plant-robot thing called Peaches. The game's got its share of rough edges, but for a small, all-new team made up mostly of non-videogame folk, I'd say it's a solid debut. Also - somewhat unexpectedly - it turned out to be pretty 'hardcore' - so if nothing else, pretty proud of that.

If anyone has a chance to check it out, would love to hear your thoughts...

attachment

Ashodin

I'd say pick a colour palette, and stick to 2 fonts max. Also, your trees are one pixel dimension, but the ones in the background are just shrunk down. You might want to redraw the trees in the background to be smaller, and a bit darker. Just my 2 cents :)

Thanks, I'm only using two fonts right there, the colors are all from the same palette, and I'll work on redrawing the smaller tree.

hi everyone

sorry if this is a bit shamelessly self-promotive, but Dawn Patrol's very first game just hit the App Store today...

It's called Robotanika, it's a two-handed tactical tablet shooter, and it stars a plant-robot thing called Peaches. The game's got its share of rough edges, but for a small, all-new team made up mostly of non-videogame folk, I'd say it's a solid debut. Also - somewhat unexpectedly - it turned out to be pretty 'hardcore' - so if nothing else, pretty proud of that.

If anyone has a chance to check it out, would love to hear your thoughts...

attachment

As a playtester on the game, I'd have to say it's worth checking it out! Hell even Adam Sessler likes it.

Thanks, I'm only using two fonts right there, the colors are all from the same palette, and I'll work on redrawing the smaller tree.

I think the image, on the whole, is using too many styles. The blur in the background doesn't match the pixel art. The bigger tree should just be a different tree than the smaller one, because it just looks like a scaled up version. In general the art is fighting itself in terms of resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom