• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC someone here was really singing its praises saying they had little to no programming ability and it helped them achieve exactly what they were trying to do.

I don't think it was me but its what I've been using with unity. I've been a longtime GameMaker person and using playmaker was easy to jump into. Watch their video tutorials and from there it's easy...

In fact ill be going back to using playmaker once I'm done with my current projects

"Apparently, Microsoft confirms XNA's demise and that DirectX will not be "evolving any longer as a technology". Poor news."

The fuckkk? Could this open the door for OpenGL? Carmack dancing in the streets?

Feep

Banned
"Apparently, Microsoft confirms XNA's demise and that DirectX will not be "evolving any longer as a technology". Poor news."

The fuckkk? Could this open the door for OpenGL? Carmack dancing in the streets?
Wait, what? We sort of knew about XNA, but DirectX is dead?

New news, new thread?

Zissou

Dayum. Gaming is the main thing tying me to windows as a platform. If direct x goes away and everything is available everywhere using open gl, it's time for linux baby.

Unless I'm not understanding things correctly. I'm not very smart.

"Wait, what? We sort of knew about XNA, but DirectX is dead?

New news, new thread?"

On a deeper read, it seems as though it's poorly worded on MS's part. Maybe.

BlazinAm

Wait, what? We sort of knew about XNA, but DirectX is dead?

New news, new thread?

Direct3d will still be around but as we know it XNA and direct x will no longer be supported by Microsoft. The features that they offer I think are going to be be all inside Direct3d somehow.
Also HLSL is also going phased out.
edit:
I think they are pooling all the resources behind direct3d.

Popstar

DirectX has been dead for years guys. Almost a decade for most of it. It's not new information.

Direct3D is the only surviving DirectX technology.

Limanima

DirectX has been dead for years guys. Almost a decade for most of it. It's not new information.

Direct3D is the only surviving DirectX technology.

How is DirectX dead for years? DirectX 11.0 was released when? Last year? At least that's how it is named in the Microsoft site. Try searching for Direct3D and it will be showned as a component of DirectX. But maybe there was a bad choice of words on the email.

Noogy

Sad news indeed. I basically spent the last 4 years learning how to program, and while it was most definitley worth it, it's unfortunate that my preferred language (XNA) is pretty much dead.

So, what's the best language for a coder like myself to transition into?

Popstar

How is DirectX dead for years? DirectX 11.0 was released when? Last year? At least that's how it is named in the Microsoft site. Try searching for Direct3D and it will be showned as a component of DirectX. But maybe there was a bad choice of words on the email.
DirectInput killed 2002 or so. DirectPlay around 2004. DirectDraw absorbed into Direct3D in er... 2000 or so (D3D 6 or 7 I think). DirectMusic? Dead. Direct3D Retained Mode? Dead. DirectShow? Dead.

The only component of DirectX the Xbox 360 used was Direct3D. XInput and XAudio are APIs designed for the 360 and ported to Windows that do not replace the functionality that was provided by DirectInput or DirectSound.

Dead.

Any reason not to just go the Monogame route?

Limanima

DirectInput killed 2002 or so. DirectPlay around 2004. DirectDraw absorbed into Direct3D in er... 2000 or so (D3D 6 or 7 I think). DirectMusic? Dead. Direct3D Retained Mode? Dead. DirectShow? Dead.

The only component of DirectX the Xbox 360 used was Direct3D. XInput and XAudio are APIs designed for the 360 and ported to Windows that do not replace the functionality that was provided by DirectInput or DirectSound.

Dead.

Yes, components may have died along the way, but the product is still named DirectX.
That's why "DirectX will not be evolving any longer as a technology" is subject to interpretation.
But if we take has it is writen, it means the death of Direct3D because it is part of DirectX (even if alone).

Limanima

Sad news indeed. I basically spent the last 4 years learning how to program, and while it was most definitley worth it, it's unfortunate that my preferred language (XNA) is pretty much dead.

Like popstar suggested, you could go the monogame root. I am... I think that even XNA wasn't dead I would transition to Monogame anyway because it is multiplatform.

Popstar

Let me phrase this a different way.

For years, the only technologies actively supported in the DirectX SDK have been those also used in the Xbox 360. Now that the 360 is being put out to pasture it should be of no surprise that those technologies are going with it.

Whatever APIs the 360's successor uses will effectively become the next "DirectX" assuming they are also made available on Windows.

missile

http://ventspace.wordpress.com/2013/01/30/directxxna-phase-out-continues/

Apparently, Microsoft confirms XNA's demise and that DirectX will not be "evolving any longer as a technology". Poor news.
I never understood why people thought XNA/DirectX would be for eternity.
Anyways. They will perhaps just make room for a new one.

... The fuckkk? Could this open the door for OpenGL? Carmack dancing in the streets?
xD

Use a Greedy strategy for choosing your (locally) best language.

I can see an increase in the diversity of platforms and it's impossible to
virtualize them all, defeating the point of their existents to begin with. So
as a developer one may better learn how to deal with them. I think as a game
developer you have to be able to adapt to a new platform rapidly. Being on
just one platform/framework will make you a sitting duck. And I think making
your knowledge the #1 platform is the way to go, and not any specific
hardware, platform, or framework. If you know what you are doing, you can do
it everywhere.

beril

Just go for C++, that's always best in the long run and having already released a game on XBLA you probably won't have to bother with services like XBLIG or PSMobile that won't let you run native code

missile

Being an indie game developer you may haven't had the money to do teh game
you ever wanted to make, yet. What type of game is it, what is it about? Do
you believe you will ever make it happen?

Valygar

I've followed this thread for a while. I am impressed with the things you are developing.

I've studied engineering, but I learned programming as well. C, C++ and a bit of Java, just not a lot of practice. Now that I am unemployed, I thought I might refresh my programming skills...

I was thinking of going html 5 for portability, there is going to be a course in udacity about it: https://www.udacity.com/course/cs255. The downside is that I do not know html...

What would you recommend? This will remain a hobby, and I'll probably use pixel art. I saw flixel at the OP, but I do not know if I should use unity, or go with html5 and that's it...

rottame

I'd say Unity. It's flexible and very easy to use, especially if you can already code. As far as I can tell, HTML5 is still kind of experimental.

razu

Yo people, I'm updating my site, ready for launch. Could you give it a go? It's at http://VAMflax.com

Does it look okay in your browser, etc...?

The video is placeholder, that will be the trailer. Also, there's not a whole lot of 'info' on the info page. I wonder what to put there really.

There will be a line of iOS/Android/PC/Mac 'buy here' buttons when you can buy it! Kinda important that!

I removed the playable web demo as that could only serve to put people off.. Frame rate is all over the place, even on a powerful machine that can play the standalone game at 1920x1080p 8xAA at a solid 60! And, keys are the worst input method, (not bad by any means, but not the best - which is what you want from a demo), controllers and touchscreens rule for this game!

Any feedback would be very much appreciated. Cheers!

rottame

1) take away the autoplay of the video.
2) put the converting elements (the buy button) up in the page, visible and possibly with a stand out color (not red. Maybe green?)
3) have a descriptive headline. Instead of "Vamflax presents Chopper Mike for iOS, Android, PC, Mac & OUYA...", write something like "Chopper Mike, a toy helicopter game for etc. etc.". Find a way to describe the game in one sentence and use it as headline.
4) make the pictures of the games clickable, linking to the info pages.

missile

@razu: Would exchange the video with the games "cover" picture (the one
right below). This picture is the most important, will be used wherever you
get reference / rated. So it's better to show it on top of your page making it
clear that this is teh page of Chopper Mike. Good luck, mate!

razu

1) take away the autoplay of the video.
2) put the converting elements (the buy button) up in the page, visible and possibly with a stand out color (not red. Maybe green?)
3) have a descriptive headline. Instead of "Vamflax presents Chopper Mike for iOS, Android, PC, Mac & OUYA...", write something like "Chopper Mike, a toy helicopter game for etc. etc.". Find a way to describe the game in one sentence and use it as headline.
4) make the pictures of the games clickable, linking to the info pages.

Cheers!

1)
I set autoplay reluctantly as I didn't want the ass pain of trying to set a decent thumbnail, but, by monetizing your account with *a* video, you get the option of custom youtube thumnails.. I just set this up. So, autoplay can fook off!

2)
The buy buttons will be the standard app store/android buttons, and I was going to put them above the video, so you could see them on load.

3)
Good point, thanks!

4)
Yep, done, cheers again! :D

razu

@razu: Would exchange the video with the games "cover" picture (the one
right below). This picture is the most important, will be used wherever you
get reference / rated. So it's better to show it on top of your page making it
clear that this is teh page of Chopper Mike. Good luck, mate!

With a custom thumbnail for the video, that is what you'll see!! :D

Cheers

Margalis

Banned
Agree with putting the picture higher, on my initial screen all I see is the video. Also on Chrome I can scroll really far down where there is just empty space.

Also, maybe this is just me, but VAMflax appears 9 times on the page...it seems a little weird. The combination of the name and how many times it's repeated makes it seem like it's almost a parody.

I think it would be better to stress the Chopper Mike part more and the VAMflax part less. Especially in the "VAMflax presents..." line you are burying the lede a little. The actual thing you are promoting should be Chopper Mike, but VAMflax comes first and even has a cool logo while Chopper Mike is just in the normal font and comes second.

Just my thoughts, good luck!

razu

Perhaps I should take the video off the front page and put it on the info page for Chopper Mike, along with a banner and screenshots. Then just give out links to that page.

I could then keep the main page as a list of banners for all VAMflax games.

I like that VAMflax is everywhere! That's the brand, and it's the site for that brand. Chopper Mike will come and go, but there will be more VAMflax games. A quick look at Nintendo.co.uk and there's 'Nintendo' just about everywhere you look. And, 'VAMflax' is no more ridiculous a word as 'Nintendo', it's just somewhat less familiar :p

I will also be putting together a press kit with lots of info and pics... yet another job for the todo list!

Thanks for feedback.. much to think about...!

Blizzard

Banned
http://ventspace.wordpress.com/2013/01/30/directxxna-phase-out-continues/

Apparently, Microsoft confirms XNA's demise and that DirectX will not be "evolving any longer as a technology". Poor news.
I seem to remember some people warning about XNA's future with Windows 8 several months back. I guess they were right?

Also, that DirectX wording is really weird. I suspect the article's author is probably correct, and maybe it just applies to 2D DirectX instead of Direct3D itself. But bleah semantics, just makes stuff confusing since Direct3D might be considered part of DirectX, and people are familiar with the terms DX9 or DX11.

article said:
Before things get out of hand: No, you should not switch to OpenGL. I get to use it professionally every day and it sucks. Direct3D 11 with the Win8 SDK is a perfectly viable choice, much more so than OpenGL for high end development. None of the contents of my frequent complaints should imply in any way that OpenGL is a good thing.

Fireblend

Banned
Hey guys this video is a little outdated, but I thought I'd ask for your feedback (click on the picture):

It's a game I'm developing for Android using Haxe and NME. Basically, you have to "catch" the color pellets that come from the left side of the screen with the right-colored "interceptor" before they make it to the other side.

Since the video, I added special pellets (a while "wildcard" pellet that can be intercepted by with any color, and a black pellet that has to be let through the screen), plus some very small UI changes (multiplier indicator, for example).

What do you guys think?

missile

Perhaps I should take the video off the front page and put it on the info page for Chopper Mike, along with a banner and screenshots. Then just give out links to that page.

I could then keep the main page as a list of banners for all VAMflax games. ...
Am just curious why you didn't make it that way in the first place. ;)

embalm

Tracks themselves are great. Took a glimpse at the game setting, seems fine, but I'm no musical expert.

Thanks for the feedback. We wanted the memorability of Warcraft 2, but the military feel of Command and Conquer. I'm not sure if that comes across completely, but at least I'm not the only one who thinks it's good.

Where's a good place to get started with Unity?
Start with their Lerpz platforming tutorial.
It walks through ray casts, object placement, scripting, collision detection, particle effects and lots of other features at a very good pace, and enough of the game will be complete when your done that it is very rewarding.
I used it as my jumping point into unity almost 2 years ago, so it may have changed a little, but I am sure it's still incredibly educational.

caffeware

Banned

...DirectX outside of Direct3D is completely dead.

He means DirectSound, DirectPlay, etc.

Before things get out of hand: No, you should not switch to OpenGL. I get to use it professionally every day and it sucks. Direct3D 11 with the Win8 SDK is a perfectly viable choice, much more so than OpenGL for high end development. None of the contents of my frequent complaints should imply in any way that OpenGL is a good thing.

If you want to stick with C#, Unity seems like your best bet. I know the guy who made AI War ported the whole game from XNA to Unity and was very happy with it.

hoverX

How accurate is this guys comments on OpenGL? I'm planning on learning Open GL ES and don't really aspire to do any big AAA PC or XBox development but am I going to be hating Open GL vs Direct X? (i have no experience with Direct x)

Popstar

How accurate is this guys comments on OpenGL? I'm planning on learning Open GL ES and don't really aspire to do any big AAA PC or XBox development but am I going to be hating Open GL vs Direct X? (i have no experience with Direct x)
Years ago I had a contract to port an older engine from PC to the Xbox 360. It had both OpenGL 1.x and Direct3D 7 bindings.

After a couple days working with the Direct3D 7 code I restarted from scratch with the OpenGL code instead. Why? Because Direct3D 9 on the 360 was closer to OpenGL than it was to Direct3D 7. There was pretty much a one-to-one correspondence, just different function names.

He probably just doesn't know OpenGL very well, or is overly attached to everything having to be in a class.

hoverX

Years ago I had a contract to port an older engine from PC to the Xbox 360. It had both OpenGL 1.x and Direct3D 7 bindings.

After a couple days working with the Direct3D 7 code I restarted from scratch with the OpenGL code instead. Why? Because Direct3D 9 on the 360 was closer to OpenGL than it was to Direct3D 7. There was pretty much a one-to-one correspondence, just different function names.

He probably just doesn't know OpenGL very well, or is overly attached to everything having to be in a class.

Interesting.

YOu may be a good person to ask this...

Can you recommend a math refresher (book or web site) that will help me get the most out of the class? The teacher says I don't need much but I want to get the most out of the class.

Popstar

About Direct3D versus OpenGL; one thing people legitimately miss from Direct3D when doing OpenGL are the D3DX support libraries. It's better than it used to be however. With stuff like GLM now available.

Interesting.

YOu may be a good person to ask this...

Can you recommend a math refresher (book or web site) that will help me get the most out of the class? The teacher says I don't need much but I want to get the most out of the class.
Er, what class? Are you taking a 3D programming course?

Essential Mathematics for Games and Interactive Applications is a good book. But I may not be the best person to ask, I've been doing 3D long enough it's hard for me to put myself in the shoes of a beginner.

AlexM

Yes, components may have died along the way, but the product is still named DirectX.
That's why "DirectX will not be evolving any longer as a technology" is subject to interpretation.
But if we take has it is writen, it means the death of Direct3D because it is part of DirectX (even if alone).

IIRC in that same article they said Direct3d is becoming part of the windows core. It's just a nomenclature thing.

fin

Hey guys this video is a little outdated, but I thought I'd ask for your feedback (click on the picture):

It's a game I'm developing for Android using Haxe and NME. Basically, you have to "catch" the color pellets that come from the left side of the screen with the right-colored "interceptor" before they make it to the other side.

Since the video, I added special pellets (a while "wildcard" pellet that can be intercepted by with any color, and a black pellet that has to be let through the screen), plus some very small UI changes (multiplier indicator, for example).

What do you guys think?

Very clever idea!

One question, are you planning on adding penalties if the interceptor is the wrong color? Maybe the color pellets disappears and you lose that opportunity for points? Or take a deduction in points? Or maybe reset the interceptor at the original position? Or maybe it gets frozen for a couple seconds and you can't move it?

Good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom