• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Between the lines? From the Q&A:

Q: Is There Came an Echo confirmed for Steam? Like, confirmed confirmed?
A: Absolutely. No Greenlight required.
How does it feel to out-succeed Wadjet Eye Games after only one game? :p As I suggested before, your next game clearly must be pinball-themed to sneak in under Valve's radar.

Feep

Banned
How does it feel to out-succeed Wadjet Eye Games after only one game? :p As I suggested before, your next game clearly must be pinball-themed to sneak in under Valve's radar.
Believe it or not, the voice-controlled pinball thing has already been done

borius

Neo Member
Can't wait to show off our new game. :D

Also, new art for Castaway Paradise.

Medieval-Set-1024x842.png

Our 2d artist make these sets for our 3d artist. We have a lot of sets. And we will add more sets after release.

wow great! even if it's like animal crossing, I want to play it anyway!

edit: voted on greenlight

Nillansan

Hi Indie GAF,

I have enjoyed following the developments of the various projects in this thread. Exciting stuff!

Two friends and I are currently working on a fantasy seafaring game called Freebooter.

We are trying to create a game that encourages players to set their own goals and thereby create their own stories. You are free to pursue different professions including trading, bounty hunting, pirating, taking on dirty faction work and possibly slaying legendary creatures of the sea.

Here is our two most recent development videos:
Storms WIP
Development Update 3

For anyone who may be interested, this is our IndieDB page
http://www.indiedb.com/games/freebooter

You can also follow our progress on Twitter
https://twitter.com/TribunalGames

Tiu Neo

Hi Indie GAF,

I have enjoyed following the developments of the various projects in this thread. Exciting stuff!

Two friends and I are currently working on a fantasy seafaring game called Freebooter.

We are trying to create a game that encourages players to set their own goals and thereby create their own stories. You are free to pursue different professions including trading, bounty hunting, pirating, taking on dirty faction work and possibly slaying legendary creatures of the sea.

Here is our two most recent development updates:
Storms WIP
Development Update 3

For anyone who may be interested, this is our IndieDB page
http://www.indiedb.com/games/freebooter

You can also follow our progress on Twitter
https://twitter.com/TribunalGames

Something like an modern/updated Uncharted Waters? Sounds promissing, the world needs more of this kind of game. I'll keep an eye on it.

Nillansan

Something like an modern/updated Uncharted Waters? Sounds promissing, the world needs more of this kind of game. I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks :) I haven't tried any of the games in the Uncharted Waters series, but they do look rather interesting, especially New Horizons. Based on a quick read up it sounds like it is the same degree of non-linear gameplay that we are trying to work into our game.

Kamaki

Hey guys, can anyone with any experience in making a game for iOS let me know if its normal for the build time to take agggeeeesssss? Currently sitting at Uni waiting for this bar to fill up as its apparently taking years to import my assets?

Super excited though, will be so rad to get the game running native on iPad.

Hey guys, can anyone with any experience in making a game for iOS let me know if its normal for the build time to take agggeeeesssss? Currently sitting at Uni waiting for this bar to fill up as its apparently taking years to import my assets?

Super excited though, will be so rad to get the game running native on iPad.

From experience so far the first time takes a little while depending on how much stuff is going across and being sorted out by xcode, after that it is much quicker and only does a quick check unless you add in more and new stuffs.

Nillansan

You were green lighted already or are you already have something up on Steam?

Since Devolver Digital (mainly known for the Serious Sam series and Hotline Miami), is publishing the game, I am guessing that he can bypass Greenlight.

Congrats Technobabel, I will make sure to pick up Dungeon Hearts when I get the chance :)

Dali

Since Devolver Digital is publishing the game, I am guessing that he can bypass Greenlight.
That's pretty cool I guess then. Seems kinda bogus to need a publisher in this digital age but I guess avoiding green light is worth whatever their cut is.

Yeah, Devolver did the submission so I was able to bypass greenlight. If Valve had turned down the game, then I would have had to go through GL.

Although developer/publisher relationships are stereotypically strained, I have nothing but good things to say about DD, DH wouldn't be nearly the game it is without their help. It's not always a pain in the ass!

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!

Spierek

Yo yo yo!!!

Today's task was to create a trailer, 60 seconds or less. I captured 140GB of video and spent all day editing it. And here it is... :D
Enjoy!

The logo of the game around 0:06 is quite "choppy" around the edges, but aside from that, the trailer does a good job in showcasing different (and fun looking) gameplay segments. Good job.

razu

Congrats razu, that looks real nice. Watching this trailer I can already see myself raging during some impossible levels.

Cheers! Yeah, it gets hairy later on. But it wouldn't be fun if it wasn't challenging! :D

Nice one, razu. Looks like you got some good footage in there. Looking forward to playing it.

The logo of the game around 0:06 is quite "choppy" around the edges, but aside from that, the trailer does a good job in showcasing different (and fun looking) gameplay segments. Good job.

Thank you! Yeah, I messed about with the logo for far too long to get it looking that good in the video. I could have spent an afternoon in PS but decided to get on to other things! Next time.. the logo will have a definite background!! :D

Noogy

Although developer/publisher relationships are stereotypically strained, I have nothing but good things to say about DD, DH wouldn't be nearly the game it is without their help. It's not always a pain in the ass!

This is exactly my sentiment with Microsoft, working with them as a publisher has been fantastic.

Hugs

thought you guys might enjoy this. Writing my dissertation at the moment, found this quote from Michelangelo (the artist) in a letter he wrote in 1542

"mi parea senza denari essere molto impacciato"
"I was much troubled for lack of money"

Even the Masters were professionally poor. Remember that now

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I should post here more often...

This is literally not much, but something I can show is, as a quick pet project I have been doing some live-streams the last three days (and for the next six days) to rapidly create and release a game for March 20th in RPG Maker. The people watching have been kind and been helping with some of the audio, original sprites (others are RTP or non-commercial use), and design decisions. Been fun, though thanks to the quick development there is some polish and shoddy design decisions I wish I could go back and fix but can't since we must keep on going forward and likely will have little time at the end to polish it up.

NEET Gameplay (3-Day Development)

Definitely been an interesting little community project, though the game is very rough.

Dynamite Shikoku

I should post here more often...

This is literally not much, but something I can show is, as a quick pet project I have been doing some live-streams the last three days (and for the next six days) to rapidly create and release a game for March 20th in RPG Maker. The people watching have been kind and been helping with some of the audio, original sprites (others are RTP or non-commercial use), and design decisions. Been fun, though thanks to the quick development there is some polish and shoddy design decisions I wish I could go back and fix but can't since we must keep on going forward and likely will have little time at the end to polish it up.

NEET Gameplay (3-Day Development)

Definitely been an interesting little community project, though the game is very rough.

That URL is broken

razu

Submit to Greenlight! Or are you already on steam?

I have a Greenlight page almost ready to submit. I'm just me, so not already on Steam.

On PC, playing on a controller, Chopper Mike is wicked! If I don't get on to Steam you will still be able to buy from VAMflax.com for the same kind of price as iOS, (£1.49/$1.99), depending on how much BMT Micro and others charge...

I need to find a way to get updates to people for free. As I intend to do a bonus '16 level world plus new aircraft' update or two! :D

Dynamite Shikoku

Almost midnight here, so I'm starting screenshot Saturday.

I've been working on menus and fixing graphics and little things in my levels this week. I made a movie of an early test of a level select menu on my iPad. The arrow buttons aren't final, and I will add other buttons and sounds and music later too. Also, it won't go straight into the level like it does here. Click me.

razu

I've been working on menus and fixing graphics and little things in my levels this week. I made a movie of an early test of a level select menu on my iPad. The arrow buttons aren't final, and I will add other buttons and sounds and music later too. Also, it won't go straight into the level like it does here. Click me.

Nice one! :D I like the sequenced button lights, looks cool.

Dali

Ugggh... I realized the behavior I had set for the character before a day of changing it is actually much much better. I don't know why I wanted to change it in the first place. So basically a day wasted. I didn't really even learn any new ways to accomplish other tasks or anything from it.

Looks really nice and polished. Reminds me of the simple (yet fun) game Spirit. Love the neon look.

Dali

Hurgh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k54TDANKzc

Really need to pick up the pace on this, I was only supposed to spend a month on this game and it's already the middle of March

Thankfully I am complete on assets, it's just a matter of implementing and tweaking the systems and A.I. now

All those particles! I can feel my PC slowing down just watching the youtube video. Looks amazingly complete, but most importantly fun. Seems like you just started this a month ago. Why do I suck so bad at this, lol?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Crappy day today as I'm now realizing Cook, Serve, Delicious can't be ported to iPod 4/iPhone 4 and below. It just looks way too ugly as I have to pair the textures down to 256x256, and even then I'm getting lots of crashes.

I could redo the game, which would make business sense...but I can't. I've spent a year with CSD already, and I'm so ready to move onto the next game. I think I'll do a quick port to Android/Linux first though.

Gah, how frustrating. :(

Dynamite Shikoku

Crappy day today as I'm now realizing Cook, Serve, Delicious can't be ported to iPod 4/iPhone 4 and below. It just looks way too ugly as I have to pair the textures down to 256x256, and even then I'm getting lots of crashes.

I could redo the game, which would make business sense...but I can't. I've spent a year with CSD already, and I'm so ready to move onto the next game. I think I'll do a quick port to Android/Linux first though.

Gah, how frustrating. :(

iPod 4G and iPhone 4 have retina display, so you should be able to use same assets as iPhone 5, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom