• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm doing a Kamen Rider inspired design for a different kind of runner game than normal just to test my engine out. I posted some initial concept roughs and color tests for my character in the Skullgirls OT to talk to their team about sprite sizes and such to double check my intended work pipeline. All seems good. I'll post animations and assets as things come along but for now here is an incomplete super rough of the run cycle. Its of course missing frames still and I've yet to go and add the twist to the torso during the run cycle or any real cleanup or colors, but its coming along well.

jb9kDGO.gif

I'm leaning instead of calling them Kamen Riders towards calling them either Toku Henshin or Toku Dasher BTW.

Thats all for now.
That's great!
If any of you are going to be at PAX next Saturday and have nothing planned for 1PM, may I suggest checking out our Dust: Elysian Tail panel, where I and cowriter Alex Kain will be talking about the development of the game. We're doing something a little different with the presentation, and will have a couple surprises for the fans.

If you're there please say hello! I'll be the one guy there with glasses. And clothes.

http://east.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/the-making-of-dust-an-elysian-tail
Everyone should go!
We have just released a new trailer from our game Snails.
Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncBGsd4YKaQ

snails-grab4_sm.png

The game is (finally) almost done. We are currently editing the sound. A little more testing and we're done!

We are on Steam Greelight. Greenlit us, thanks!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93429051
Been seeing you post this forever, GL!
ScreenshotSaturday from yesterday.
Kinda super stressed with getting everything ready for GDC.

firma_platform.png
Looks really nice!

shaowebb

That's great!

Thanks. Its my first solo project and it'll be a nice way to both stretch my legs and do my own thing here as well as a good way to put the ever important shipped title notches into my Animator resume.

Also shoutouts to Ravidrath and Lab Zero from the Skullgirls fame. Since before their game launched they have answered my questions on animation, critiqued me on occasion when asked, and even let me work on an art test to learn how the pros do it right. I'm hoping I can take all that information and help and turn it into something nice. Here's hoping construct 2 can handle what I'm after without bugging out. I don't have much cash so commercial licenses are rough to afford and I'm not a coder. I'd use Unity if I could but thats a 4 digit cost to get commercial with it and thats too much for now. I can do 3D, but I want something 2D so no UDK for me either. I studied design heavily enough, but not code so Im sadly limited on engine options. Its on my to do list to learn some code to deal with this right behind "steady paying work in my field".

After this run cycle I'll be making a jump cycle, attack cycle, fall cycle, and death cycle for that character. The run and death cycle take the most work so I'm trying to knock them out first. The bulk of my work will come from effects animations like explosions and from creating assets for his environment. Once the assets are made for my character though I can begin coding with placeholders to get his control right and then I can polish the game's FX and art as I go.

Not sure what to do for audio. I guess I'll try to contract someone who impresses me. Hopefully it won't cost me an arm and a leg.

razu

Upvoted and commented!

Cheers! :D

In case you find a painless way to deliver updates for free let me know, I am having the same issue.

Will do.

Greenlit! nice trailer :) Seems that you are gonna get good coverage with this.

Thank you!

Voted and commented. More should do the same. I swear Greenlight is a haven for trolls, people need to offset that.

Honestly, this game should be an open and shut case for Valve, I kind of hate Greenlight.

Thank you very much! Yeah, going 'live' has been the expected punch in the face, from the super positive places like this thread to the screens of Internet People. But, you know, if they don't like it they're not going to want it.. it's all fair. (I'd prefer it if they'd not comment on how much they don't like it, but hey, what'cha gonna do!).

Congratulations :) I'll probably pick it up for my nexus 7, looks like a lot of fun!

Thanks! I love the Nexus 7. It's a great size for playing games. Hope you enjoy it! :D

"Former MotorStorm programmer ..." xD I like those phrases. If that would
mean anything at all. But if it drives sales, then I'm the former president
of the United States!! :) Ahh ... perhaps not a good idea. Well, I hope
everything goes fine for the initial release of your game! :+

Well, I was advised to play on the fact that I had worked on mainstream games before. I actually submitted "Former Sega Rally, MotorStorm and McRae developer decides he prefers helicopters..." as the subject on my emails. Interesting that they picked MotorStorm from that.

Looks cool! I also kinda like that he disappears for some frames, (although I guess that's because of it being a test). :D

cbox

I finally finished my second trailer on the weekend, can't wait to get this game out - so stoked!

Click the image to watch!

fr3shme4t

Neo Member
I don't have much cash so commercial licenses are rough to afford and I'm not a coder. I'd use Unity if I could but thats a 4 digit cost to get commercial with it and thats too much for now.

You can sell games made with the free version of Unity (unless your makes $100k+ or something).

shaowebb

Looks cool! I also kinda like that he disappears for some frames, (although I guess that's because of it being a test). :D

Yeah, its got some frames I haven't started yet so the gif I posted is missing those frames for now. I just figured I'd post an animated version of the frames I'd been working on and how they flowed. Also his torso is on a seperate layer and I'll be drawing it twisting from side to side a bit as he swings his arms so the motion should get more exciting as I finish out the details.

I'm pleased with how the run cycle seems to flow though so it was worth sharing even if this is far from completion to give an idea of the sort of animations I'm making for this game.

I finally finished my second trailer on the weekend, can't wait to get this game out - so stoked!

Click the image to watch!

Wow I really Dig this! Great trailer and the soundtrack is great for it. Who did the audio for this? Maybe when I get further along I could try to get ahold of them for my own stuff.

missile

NG_SurfaceGeneration_0x2ede9ac93c.gif

I finally got most of the precision issues under control now, whereas there
are still cases where everything would break apart depending on the stiffness
of a given equation with respect to some hard precision limits. But what the
demo shows is now very smooth within this regard, which was/is all hard work.
Well, I can now generate surfaces from basic parameterized elements combined
with some matrix operation. I've skipped the sphere, cylinder, and the torus
from the demonstration for now, since each of those can be generated easily
from their known parametrization and wouldn't show the flexibility my approach
has, since my approach lets me change the shape, the path, and the orientation
at every single point. The entire object in the demo is generated anew each
frame. To show that the object is quite dynamic I changed many of its
parameters during runtime.

The next step is to enhance the description of the generation process, i.e.
translating almost everything into matrix notation, and to decouple/abstract
the elements used to generate parts of the surface, such that for example any
polygon you see may transform into a spinning cube etc. without the surface
generation process even knowing. Another important part I have to consider is
to match different descriptions together such that one description may
continuously transforms into another one.

But before doing this, I'm going to build my first gaming content. Nothing
huge, mind you, but for me the start of the game as such. Finally! Damn!

Kamaki

ikNJrc4.jpg

Crazy happy I finally got it running on iPad! Runs like crap but I still need to batch objects and stuff together as well as get rid of the 4x AA.

cbox

Nice trailer, the game looks fun.

I gave you the thumbs up on Steam Greenlight. Good luck.

Wicked! Love the trailer. Great job!! :D

Wow I really Dig this! Great trailer and the soundtrack is great for it. Who did the audio for this? Maybe when I get further along I could try to get ahold of them for my own stuff.

Screenshot monday
That is a really really well done trailer. Game looks like a really fun evolution of geometry wars. Kudos.

Appreciate the comments fellas!

Crazy happy I finally got it running on iPad! Runs like crap but I still need to batch objects and stuff together as well as get rid of the 4x AA.

I'm getting a black and white vibe from your 3d models, nice work!

Dali

Every time I see your avatar alongside whatever you're rendering I always start to hear the Neo Geo boot music.

fin

Everyone is posting so much good stuff!!!! Rather than quoting everyone I'll just say great job everyone! haha

I love how this thread kinda less of the technical stuff now, more progress stuff. Although technical is awesome (being a programmer), but seeing all the great stuff in here is just more motivation to get back to developing! That said, say you just finished a new feature/model/texture/shader. Maybe posting some behind the scenes stuff would be cool too? What does everyone think?

Edit: Holy shit I just found out about the Unity 3D Remote App for mobile, I've been compiling whenever I want to test on mobile :/

missile

Every time I see your avatar alongside whatever you're rendering I always start to hear the Neo Geo boot music.

lol

Yeah, the demo is retro in a pure sense, even the programming is retro! xD I
would had loved to program 3d stuff like this back in the arcade/console days.
But this was a lil too early for me. What interests me the most are the tricks
you had to pull off to get something out of such systems. The confinement/
restrictions of such systems have lead to many good tricks, insights, and
efficient algorithms which would be very useful even today. But unfortunately,
almost all of these technical stuff remains unrecorded. Today you get wasts
of articles, books etc. on developing games. But there is no book about how
video games like ELITE were built. And I'm pretty sure that there are some
people out there who want to know what algorithms and tricks they used given
the limitation of the hardware back then.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
576062_577098675641514_1368437153_n.jpg

The awesome developer of Dwarf Quest gave us (Stolen Couch Games) a nice cake! How cool is that?

Also, New blogpost:

Oui oui, mesdames et messieurs. Quelle heure est-il? Time for a new update of Castaway Paradise! Today I want to show you a new set of decorations, objects and clothes the player can choose to decorate his or her house with or dress themselves up. For inspiration, our designers sat down, opened up a bottle of a nice Merlot and watched classy French movies whilst eating a baguette. The result? A new awesome French set. Sacre bleu!

French-Set.png

Tired of not getting recognized as the brilliant artist you are? At the Stuff2Buy you can buy these great French outfits so you can finally look like one. Fashion director Marcèl will be happy to help you choose a nice new artistic beret or fashionable sunglasses.

Although the French Revolution made sure that France lost its monarchy, you want your character to live like a true king. And is there any king more true than le Roi-Soleil, Louis XIV of France? We actually don’t know. But we sure liked his furniture! We tried to resemble his style in the furniture, so you can decorate your character’s house like a palace.

And of what use would a French set be without the baguette? To complete the French set, we put a French baker on the island: Gustave. This friendly moose is a master baker who provides delicious bread for the whole island. He has to wake up very early every morning, but you will never find him grumpy. “Why?” I hear you ask. Well.. besides being a master baker, Gustave follows the teachings of the zen, making him a zenmaestro. You can ask him all about that in the game and he will be happy to tell you.

BakeryInterior.png

In the following image you can see Gustave next to his bakery. When you visit the island please visit him. He has got great stories to tell. Also, make sure to taste his pastries, they are delicious. We hope you all like the set. If you have any feedback, please leave a comment. Au revoir!

Bakeryortho.png

BLOG

Miutsu

Almost midnight here, so I'm starting screenshot Saturday.

I've been working on menus and fixing graphics and little things in my levels this week. I made a movie of an early test of a level select menu on my iPad. The arrow buttons aren't final, and I will add other buttons and sounds and music later too. Also, it won't go straight into the level like it does here. Click me.

I wanted to ask, how are you getting the gloom/bloom neon effect? I'm looking to implement something like this but I've been kinda at lost at how to do it (trying to understand glsl shaders)

^Edit: :O nice cake, and your game is looking great, love the artstyle!

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
I wanted to ask, how are you getting the gloom/bloom neon effect? I'm looking to implement something like this but I've been kinda at lost at how to do it (trying to understand glsl shaders)

^Edit: :O nice cake, and your game is looking great, love the artstyle!

It's just still artwork done in Gimp. If it were a physical object, the gaussian blur button would need replacing from overuse ;)

Miutsu

It's just still artwork done in Gimp. If it were a physical object, the gaussian blur button would need replacing from overuse ;)

Heh, yeah I get what you're saying, it still helped that you mentioned gaussian blur because I remembered thats exactly what I need to implement at a shader level to get that effect :)

BibiMaghoo

Hi people, I'm new to the thread.

I'm not a developer, I have no experience at all. I have wanted to make a game for some time, and have more ideas than minutes in a day. I've played around with game maker in the past, but never did anything.

So, I decided a few days ago to actually start something. I decided on Unity and have been going from there. It is quite a nice piece of software. In a day, I learned alot, and built a small level with camera control and movement keymapped. I learned how to light up a scene properly, I learned about skyboxes and so many other things.

I can't stop now lol. Everytime I try and do something else, I just end up closing it and going back to Unity. So I figured I would search for a thread and see what others are up to, and say hi.

So yeah, noob here subbed. :)

Dali

Welcome.

My advice is if you start something have a clear idea of what it is and what game play mechanics you'll need to implement. Also art assets are a bitch to create between modelling, texturing and my personal biggest time sink... Animating. So design your game working around that... or not if you're a masochist like Noogy. But there's a reason why a lot of indies are a gimmicky game play "hook" with rudimentary graphics: Adding the pretty is fucking hard.

BibiMaghoo

Thanks.

I have a good idea of what I want to do, but currently do not know how to do most of it. So I'm working with what I can do, and learning more about the things I need to use as I go along.

One of the reasons I chose Unity was the asset store, but simple graphics is all I really need, other than explosions that I can grab from the store.

I'm going the pont and click sim route. So I only need a few animations. I guess mostly I will need icons and 3d objects like buildings created, but nothing to fancy.

Aiming very, very low, until I can actually do more.

razu

Thanks.

I have a good idea of what I want to do, but currently do not know how to do most of it. So I'm working with what I can do, and learning more about the things I need to use as I go along.

One of the reasons I chose Unity was the asset store, but simple graphics is all I really need, other than explosions that I can grab from the store.

I'm going the pont and click sim route. So I only need a few animations. I guess mostly I will need icons and 3d objects like buildings created, but nothing to fancy.

Great attitude and approach! Good luck!! :D

injurai

Banned

your work is the most interesting and inspiring to me here, where you ever part of the demo scene or something? Looks really cool.

Tash

Hi people, I'm new to the thread.

I'm not a developer, I have no experience at all. I have wanted to make a game for some time, and have more ideas than minutes in a day. I've played around with game maker in the past, but never did anything.

So, I decided a few days ago to actually start something. I decided on Unity and have been going from there. It is quite a nice piece of software. In a day, I learned alot, and built a small level with camera control and movement keymapped. I learned how to light up a scene properly, I learned about skyboxes and so many other things.

I can't stop now lol. Everytime I try and do something else, I just end up closing it and going back to Unity. So I figured I would search for a thread and see what others are up to, and say hi.

So yeah, noob here subbed. :)

Welcome :) we work with Unity exclusively and it's an awesome engine. You can prototype really fast no matter what your programming skills/level are. That's what makes it really great (among lots of other things).

cbox

Welcome :) we work with Unity exclusively and it's an awesome engine. You can prototype really fast no matter what your programming skills/level are. That's what makes it really great (among lots of other things).

This is good to know, I think our next game will be in unity. Only problem is that I have no experience with 3d modelling and animation, guess it's time to learn.

Dynamite Shikoku

Cool man. I put Game Center in, but other platforms are a bit all over the place. I was contacted by a dude making OpenKit yesterday. Going to talk to him today or tomorrow, (here are the docs). Could be interesting.

My game doesn't really have high scores, so I was considering not bothering with game centre at all. But then some people like doing the achievements so I'll just put in some for beating the times I set for the levels (some of them will be really tough)

Dali

This is good to know, I think our next game will be in unity. Only problem is that I have no experience with 3d modelling and animation, guess it's time to learn.
I used lightwave years ago but I needed something free this time so I went with blender. I had to completely relearn everything because basically nothing carried over to blender. It doesn't take long to figure it out though and the community is huge. It's like the 3d modelling equivalent of unity lol.

Tash

That is what holds most indies back to be honest. So the more you can learn the more you'll be ahead of everyone else :)

I just wrote up an update going over character sprites in Another Castle, and how with items the number of frames required grows exponentially:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/uncadedave/another-castle/posts/432144

Figured you guys might get a kick out of it, as I think is gives a good overview of how small decisions can have huge impacts in a game's design. I'm also tantalizingly close to my funding goal, with less than $1000 to go!

Also, just voted for Chopper Mike on Greenlight! Don't let the haters bring you down, there can be some...... colorful... comments that are a pain to deal with.

Servbot24

Banned
For those of you who have run Kickstarters, how much recognition did you have beforehand? I imagine I'll be using it sometime in the future, but short of posting projects on facebook and GAF and so on, I don't have any real method of promotion, and no following to speak of. I would love to put my graphic novel on there for example, get enough funds to take a couple months off work, buckle down full time and finish the thing, but considering barely anyone knows I exist, I don't know if it's even remotely possible. (Let's assume the project is of desirable quality.)

Blizzard

Banned
I finally got back into my game engine last night. I blame whoever suggested font supersampling. I'm still bogged down with it not working. :'(

cbox

I used lightwave years ago but I needed something free this time so I went with blender. I had to completely relearn everything because basically nothing carried over to blender. It doesn't take long to figure it out though and the community is huge. It's like the 3d modelling equivalent of unity lol.

AHh yeah I'm the same as I know the 3ds max interface pretty well since I took a few courses back in college, though blender looks scary - for now haha.

That is what holds most indies back to be honest. So the more you can learn the more you'll be ahead of everyone else :)

I'm a designer by trade so learning yet another skill will be awesome, i honestly can't wait to get started on our next venture.

On another note, are there any other good sites for pimping your game? I'm hoping to generate some buzz for our game but I'm terrible at social networking, and everything I try seems to fizzle out. Thanks!

Limanima

I finally got back into my game engine last night. I blame whoever suggested font supersampling. I'm still bogged down with it not working. :'(

I'm also working on one and I haven't even ended Snails...
I'm not exactly sure why I am doing an engine, there are tons of them out there. I enjoy doing it I guess...

Limanima

I decided to share a little bit more about Snails. Here are two screenshots from two tools we used to develop Snails. The first one from a sprite editor we developed, and the second from the stage editor we used to build the levels.
Could be interesting for those starting at game developing.

sprite-editor.png

snails-stage-editor.png

Jarekx

Thanks.

Sounds like we are in the same boat. I started Unity not too long ago as well and I can't stop messing with it. I just want to learn more and more, and hopefully I'll eventually be able to create one of the ideas I have. I've also started trying to learn how to create sprites, but I am horrible with visual assets. :p

Feep

Banned
Actually, I'm very interested in font supersampling. Font is BIG BIG BIG deal to me. How's it going?

For those of you who have run Kickstarters, how much recognition did you have beforehand? I imagine I'll be using it sometime in the future, but short of posting projects on facebook and GAF and so on, I don't have any real method of promotion, and no following to speak of. I would love to put my graphic novel on there for example, get enough funds to take a couple months off work, buckle down full time and finish the thing, but considering barely anyone knows I exist, I don't know if it's even remotely possible. (Let's assume the project is of desirable quality.)
I've run two, both successful.

The first one I basically had zero recognition, but my goal was...$600. (LOL.) I ended up with $2,600, and this was back in March of 2010...waaaaaay before Kickstarter got popular.

The second one (still ongoing), I did have a bit of a base built up from Sequence. Still, according to Kickstarter metrics, 45% of backers have come from the Kickstarter website itself, pretty much just browsing through the site. There's a bit of a feedback cycle...a lot of that exposure came from being in the "popular section", and that exposure led to me...staying in the popular section. It's incredibly important to have a good first day or two. Get some friends and family to commit early, do a press blitz (especially to indie sites). And keep your goal relatively small, if you're an unknown.

You can do it!

(And make a video.)

Dynamite Shikoku

Actually, I'm very interested in font supersampling. Font is BIG BIG BIG deal to me. How's it going?

The first one I basically had zero recognition, but my goal was...$600. (LOL.) I ended up with $2,600, and this was back in March of 2010...waaaaaay before Kickstarter got popular.

The second one (still ongoing), I did have a bit of a base built up from Sequence. Still, according to Kickstarter metrics, 45% of backers have come from the Kickstarter website itself, pretty much just browsing through the site. There's a bit of a feedback cycle...a lot of that exposure came from being in the "popular section", and that exposure led to me...staying in the popular section. It's incredibly important to have a good first day or two. Get some friends and family to commit early, do a press blitz (especially to indie sites). And keep your goal relatively small, if you're an unknown.

You can do it!

(And make a video.)

Congrats on passing the goal for the new one.

Blizzard

Banned
Well my code was a pain to look through since I was using freetype, it was probably not super clean, and I had written it a long time ago. I finally sat down again yesterday and today, and finished working the part to preprocess fonts with 2x supersampling, simply averaging 2x2 grids and hoping the dimensions end up correct. Here are two images for comparison.

Normal:
f_nokvljk.png

2xSS:
f_ss2ygxhz.png

General opinion question, does the second picture look of reasonable enough quality, or is it still too jaggy? I'm tempted to try 3x or 4x SS just to see if it improves still further, but I suspect the only feasible way to get ultra high quality is to use the multi-colored aliasing stuff that Windows uses. And, last I heard, that was still involved with patent issues or something, and I don't want to get involved with that at all.

Finally, here is a comparison picture between the glyphs Windows generates (as done by MS Paint, on top, with ClearType) and the glyphs I generate (on the bottom, with 2xSS):
f_ctlia20.png

Blizzard

Banned
Final bonus images...I put my head down and went ahead to make super sampling general (works with 2x, 3x, 4x, who knows if it breaks at some crazy high value). There's no guarantee that I'm doing everything pixel-perfectly and haven't made mistakes though.

3x:
f_ss341jye.png

4x:
f_ss44oj7c.png

Links for comparison by opening in browser tabs and switching back and forth:
none
2x
3x
4x

But now, I really must go to bed.

missile

@Blizzard: 2xSS still looks meh. Good night! And good morning from Vienna!

your work is the most interesting and inspiring to me here, where you ever part of the demo scene or something? Looks really cool.
Glad you like it. I have no lable in the demoscene, yet, but am interested in
creating one. I may perhaps be interested doing a demo for the DCPU-16. If
notch's game, 0x10x, will be a success, then I guess the DCPU-16 may become a
lil more public. So making some demos for those playing the game would be
pretty cool, I guess. And given that the DCPU-16 is fully unexplored, there
is lots of air to breath - no new-skooler to see, there is no graphics
acceleration. ;)

Anyhow, I have a game to make. Back to business....

Servbot24

Banned

You can do it!

(And make a video.)
Thanks, very helpful :D Think I'll have to finish the project at least halfway before attempting to get funding. In its current state it would take at least 4 months of full time work to finish, and I don't think that sets up a reasonable Kickstarter goal when you also factor in printing and shipping.

But when the time comes I'll do some promotional images and a video and see if I can build some interest. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom