• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbox

Holy crap, I did it. After two weeks of banging my head against walls, with System.Speech and importing .dll's and interop testing and native C++ libraries and cross-platform considerations and thread spawning and interprocess piping and please no more, I finally got my voice recognition tech working smoothly inside Unity.

I can use this thing.

Time to port my existing code! Should be a good couple weeks to do it. Hopefully, by the time the team gets here in early June, everything'll be waiting and ready to go. = D

Woooooooooooooooooo

Nice! Can't wait to see it. Breakthroughs are indeed awesome.

Ventron

So after being away from game development (on Xbox Live Indie Games) for far too long, I decided to get back into making RPGs for PC! Yay.

My latest project is a turn-based RPG with a blind protagonist. Your party is made up of you and your guide dog (who you'll name at the start). Designing a battle system around not being able to see your enemies has been very interesting indeed.

EOmYYST.png

What's more interesting is that the game will have a speech synthesis engine. The green box represents what is read out by the game. So, the aim is for this game to be playable by sight impaired people, and due to the game design, not be at any kind of disadvantage compared with sighted people. Thank you JRPG, for making this sort of thing possible!

That screenshot above is a placeholder graphic. Hopefully I can get started on better sprites, and maybe the story as well. But once the battle system is functioning, I'll send it off to a former colleague for playtesting to make absolutely sure it is accessible.

Time to port my existing code! Should be a good couple weeks to do it. Hopefully, by the time the team gets here in early June, everything'll be waiting and ready to go. = D

Woooooooooooooooooo

Ooh, once you're done, please share how to port XNA to Unity. I could use that info for some old XBLIG codebases.

shaowebb

Attention 2D dudes without licenses.

Just got myself a personal License for Construct 2 for only $71. Apparently the dude who made Noitu Love 2 is using this on his next game so thats all the credibility I needed after working with it over the weekend.

Theres a 40% off sale right now till april 29th on both business and personal licenses. The only difference between the licenses is that if you make more than $5000 on your game or if its for a business organization you have to buy a business license (you can upgrade if needed). You can even buy it through steam if you prefer.

Engine is great, you can hand code your own stuff for it or use all its GUI and plugins to build 2d games even if your like me with zero coding skills. It even has templates for a lot of different game genres to get you going quickly on setting up small projects or for prototyping. Community is active and their are tutorial vids and manual stuff to answer questions.

Genji

Holy crap, I did it. After two weeks of banging my head against walls, with System.Speech and importing .dll's and interop testing and native C++ libraries and cross-platform considerations and thread spawning and interprocess piping and please no more, I finally got my voice recognition tech working smoothly inside Unity.

I can use this thing.

Woooooooooooooooooo

Awesome! Very interested to hear what you think of Unity after you've had some time with it.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
So after being away from game development (on Xbox Live Indie Games) for far too long, I decided to get back into making RPGs for PC! Yay.

My latest project is a turn-based RPG with a blind protagonist. Your party is made up of you and your guide dog (who you'll name at the start). Designing a battle system around not being able to see your enemies has been very interesting indeed.

What's more interesting is that the game will have a speech synthesis engine. The green box represents what is read out by the game. So, the aim is for this game to be playable by sight impaired people, and due to the game design, not be at any kind of disadvantage compared with sighted people. Thank you JRPG, for making this sort of thing possible!

That screenshot above is a placeholder graphic. Hopefully I can get started on better sprites, and maybe the story as well. But once the battle system is functioning, I'll send it off to a former colleague for playtesting to make absolutely sure it is accessible.

Ooh, once you're done, please share how to port XNA to Unity. I could use that info for some old XBLIG codebases.

i would like to applaud you for trying to make a game playable for the sight-impaired. massive kodus!

JulianImp

That's an amazing concept! How're you giving feedback to the player about the options present and which one is currently selected?

Coincidentally, the game I made for the first game jam I attended to (which happened this month) was a multiplayer game about a blind person and his/her guide dog, with the dog being able to see and bark at the blind player, and with the goal of having the blind player cross the street based simply on aural cues (thankfully, Unity was great at automatically handling 3d panning and doppler effects). Making a game that can be actually played by a blind person without outside help sounds like a really good idea and quite an interesting challenge.

I wish you the best of luck with the project!

bumpkin

I took years of figure drawing with numerous models. As artists, the tools available to us today remain unacceptable to capture the full splendor and majesty of female ass.
I don't know why this made me laugh, but it did.

And I agree. ;)

It's funny when I look at a lot of you guys' projects, I often wonder where you draw inspiration or ideas from. I've never fancied myself as much of a "creative" guy, so when it comes to game ideas, I'm pretty much the worst. I always find myself gravitating towards wanting to make game like the ones I enjoy, only to realize that there are tons of other pieces (story, characters, etc.) required to do so. And on top of that, likely tens or hundreds of other games out there of the same type. I have no illusions about being able to craft some sort of new sensation that will sell millions and make me rich, but I can't stay I'd turn my nose up at such a prospect.

At any rate, do you ever really care what others think of your ideas or concepts? I've had one or two ideas as of late that could easily be perceived as "dumb" or "silly" by others. I've been a geek my whole life so I wasn't ever really a popular kid in school... Low self esteem's a bummer. Funny that it haunts me in my adult years, though less oppressively than it used to.

Blizzard

Banned

I can use this thing.

Woooooooooooooooooo
What speech recognition library did you end up going with?

Feep

Banned
What speech recognition library did you end up going with?
Same one I've been using. Microsoft System.Speech. It isn't cross-platform, obviously, but 1) It's possible Mono might support it by next year, and 2) Whatever. I'll figure that out when I get to it. = P

Anustart

You know what feels great? When you code up something a bit complicated and you test it for the first time and it works as expected. Such a rare occurrence in my case, dunno if I'm bad at programming or if that's par for the course, but nailing it first attempt...feels good mang.

fr3shme4t

Neo Member
I played this for like 5 minutes and really enjoyed it in spite of or perhaps in part because of the confusing, archaic, (nostalgic) interface. I hope you keep working on this game.

Thanks! Yeah, it's old-school gameplay, but still it needs some help text or something.

I've gotten a fairly good reception to the demo so far, my next step is to find an artist

Noogy

You know what feels great? When you code up something a bit complicated and you test it for the first time and it works as expected. Such a rare occurrence in my case, dunno if I'm bad at programming or if that's par for the course, but nailing it first attempt...feels good mang.

That is an awesome feeling. I had that happen a few times on my project, and each time I felt like a badass. F5 = win.

Of course the next set of bugs would put me in my place.

Ventron

That is an awesome feeling. I had that happen a few times on my project, and each time I felt like a badass. F5 = win.

Of course the next set of bugs would put me in my place.

Same, luckily the games I write are small enough such that recompiling is very quick, whether in C# or (for this latest RPG) Java, so I can add printf statements instead of working through some sort of debugger.

That's an amazing concept! How're you giving feedback to the player about the options present and which one is currently selected?

It just reads it out.
My friend loves his iPhone because VoiceOver is great and all the apps have fantastic integration, especially the maps. Since my Mac also has VoiceOver, I think I'll try to replicate what happens there.

PaineReign

Neo Member

Long time no see man! I assume you are the man behind Bonded Realities, one of my favorite XBLIGs. Glad to see you are back into making RPGs. Awesome concept, can't wait to see more!

Ventron

Long time no see man! I assume you are the man behind Bonded Realities, one of my favorite XBLIGs. Glad to see you are back into making RPGs. Awesome concept, can't wait to see more!

Thanks! This will be a smaller title, and will be free (and without IAPs, although I might add a donation link).

I also finally decided on a name: This Abled Hero.

In addition to the text-to-speech, I'm trying to get this game to comply with most points in the Includification paper:
http://www.includification.com/AbleGamers_Includification.pdf

Once I get the battle system up and running and get some new sprites, I'll hopefully have some gameplay footage.

I've been wanting to learn Adventure Game Studio for a while, and I've finally had some free time to check it out:

tumblr_mlstmlWb9L1qbqy7po1_1280.png

tumblr_mlstyzO8a71qbqy7po1_1280.png

I've learned the basics - importing, hotspots, some rudimentary scripting (for changing rooms and whatnot) - and I'm really enjoying it. I'm gonna stick with it and see if I can finish a full little game. I'm translating a comic story I've been writing into a game, so I have a lot to work with.

eot

Banned

That just makes me suspicious as all hell, there has to be something wrong that I haven't found yet!

missile

... At any rate, do you ever really care what others think of your ideas or concepts? I've had one or two ideas as of late that could easily be perceived as "dumb" or "silly" by others. I've been a geek my whole life so I wasn't ever really a popular kid in school... Low self esteem's a bummer. Funny that it haunts me in my adult years, though less oppressively than it used to.
Deep inside it's your ego telling you to be cool, to be cool with others, to
be perceived as a cool person doing cool things, cool concepts everybody
loves. This behavior of mind is going to lead nowhere. Drop it. And you will
see what people see as "dumb" or "silly" is a perspective (projection) being
the limit of a sequence of tiny little experiences they've made over time,
which is different for each and everyone of us. Given that, you will see
"dumb" or "silly" in a different light. Every time someone say to you that
your concept is dumb and you feel bad about, it's your ego dying a little bit
inside. And that's the least it wants to do. And so it pushes you to do things
you don't want to do, drifting away from the things YOU want to do.

As an exercise; post your two concepts.
And hopefully someone says your
ideas are dumb.

To answer you question. Yes, I care. But not because I want to be cool with
others. I just want to see what they see from their perspective without
judging anything. That's the only way you can leave your own horizon, while
looking through the eyes of others. Finally, making a concept to please others
is the first mistake to make.

I've been wanting to learn Adventure Game Studio for a while, and I've finally had some free time to check it out:

tumblr_mlstmlWb9L1qbqy7po1_1280.png

tumblr_mlstyzO8a71qbqy7po1_1280.png

I've learned the basics - importing, hotspots, some rudimentary scripting (for changing rooms and whatnot) - and I'm really enjoying it. I'm gonna stick with it and see if I can finish a full little game. I'm translating a comic story I've been writing into a game, so I have a lot to work with.

how long did it take to get to making this? I'm planning to go in fresh to AGS as well as RPG Maker and going to decide which to go with for my game.

JulianImp

anyone entering LD?

It's this weekend, right? Damn, I hate when things like this happen... I happen to have a flexible schedule on most weekends, but this one happens to be the exception, as I won't be able to do anything on Saturday.

What do you guys think, should I sign up anyway and see what I can do by myself on Sunday? I'd gladly team up with someone who's in the same situation I'm in, but I fear working on a single day would be a bit too hard, and if nothing good ends up getting made I'd be letting somebody else down.

It's this weekend, right? Damn, I hate when things like this happen... I happen to have a flexible schedule on most weekends, but this one happens to be the exception, as I won't be able to do anything on Saturday.

What do you guys think, should I sign up anyway and see what I can do by myself on Sunday? I'd gladly team up with someone who's in the same situation I'm in, but I fear working on a single day would be a bit too hard, and if nothing good ends up getting made I'd be letting somebody else down.

starts in 1 day 10 hours. yeah lol.

Anustart

If it weren't crunch time at Uni, I would have liked to participate :(

Edit: Question. I'm using Unity and Orthello and I'm trying to think about how to code something I haven't dealt with yet.

How does one put hills in a 2d game? i.e. the collision on those kind of blocks?

bumpkin

Deep inside it's your ego telling you to be cool, to be cool with others, to
be perceived as a cool person doing cool things, cool concepts everybody
loves. This behavior of mind is going to lead nowhere. Drop it. And you will
see what people see as "dumb" or "silly" is a perspective (projection) being
the limit of a sequence of tiny little experiences they've made over time,
which is different for each and everyone of us. Given that, you will see
"dumb" or "silly" in a different light. Every time someone say to you that
your concept is dumb and you feel bad about, it's your ego dying a little bit
inside. And that's the least it wants to do. And so it pushes you to do things
you don't want to do, drifting away from the things YOU want to do.

As an exercise; post your two concepts.
And hopefully someone says your
ideas are dumb.

To answer you question. Yes, I care. But not because I want to be cool with
others. I just want to see what they see from their perspective without
judging anything. That's the only way you can leave your own horizon, while
looking through the eyes of others. Finally, making a concept to please others
is the first mistake to make.
Thanks for the insight, man. I get what you're saying about something being called "dumb" or "silly" being based on people's own perspectives. I'm always torn between my desire to create something *I* like and creating something others would like. I don't tinker with game development as my job -- I work as a software engineer, though I have worked on a few non-game iPhone Apps -- but it would be cool to put something out there that resonates with people and sells well. I'm certainly not going to scoff at a little extra money in my pocket as a result of putting something out there players enjoy. Once upon a time it was my dream to become a game developer, and it really seems like the landscape has shifted so much; working for established developers burns people out and doesn't seem to offer much job security.

In regards to the ideas, 99% of 'em are usually road-blocked by my inability to produce the necessary art, as I lack neither the know-how or the creativity to make any of it. When I see people in this thread like beril and razu, who have said they aren't really "artists" per say, produce rad, fun games like Gunman Clive and Chopper Mike and achieve success, it's inspiring.

And then we have guys like Noogy who weren't even programmers before their maiden project that put something out there which rivals a lot of retail games made by "AAA" developers, it's pretty indescribable.

desu

In regards to the ideas, 99% of 'em are usually road-blocked by my inability to produce the necessary art, as I lack neither the know-how or the creativity to make any of it. When I see people in this thread like beril and razu, who have said they aren't really "artists" per say, produce rad, fun games like Gunman Clive and Chopper Mike and achieve success, it's inspiring.

I know that feeling. The know-how/creative part for art can or rather is super damn frustrating. However I can only recommend practicing your art skills and at the same time build prototypes with super simple art or placeholders.

eot

Banned
I'm in the same boat of not being able to make art to save my life, but you can get around it, just look at Thomas Was Alone or Antichamber. At times it can feel cripppling to not be able to draw, but sometimes the best things come out of imposing limits on what you're making.

I know that feeling. The know-how/creative part for art can or rather is super damn frustrating. However I can only recommend practicing your art skills and at the same time build prototypes with super simple art or placeholders.

yeah pretty much. practice and just have fun and don't worry about what others might think. just do it! i've been browsing other forums and people are learning as they go. Its those things that are inspiring.

Neo Child

Banned
how are AGS and RPG maker comparable? Aren't they meant for different genres?

I have only used both programs at a beginner level but RPG maker is primarily for making classic turn based top down RPG's like Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest 1-6. Other games can be made as it includes a scripting language.

AGS is primarily for old Sierra style adventure point n click games like Kings Quest, Discworld, Monkey Island etc

As a reccomendation Ben Jordan games are fantastic
all 8 cases are finally out

http://www.grundislavgames.com/benjordan/

Start with first to last.

how long did it take to get to making this? I'm planning to go in fresh to AGS as well as RPG Maker and going to decide which to go with for my game.

For two rooms with unique backgrounds, different hotspots, and scripting (connecting the player between rooms, setting up "go behind" spaces, importing sprites for the player character) this took about four hours. Keep in mind that's at reading-the-tutorial pace, though!

Hauk

Neo Member
Holy shit Construct 2 is good. I tried the free version now that C2 has been out for a while (played around with Construct 1 back in the day) and I managed to get a playable "game" done in less than a day. After I heard about the -40% sale they got going on, I had to buy the license. First time ever I actually feel like I can get something done and finished, regarding to game projects. I'm making a platform game based around the physics of different shapes of rocks, it plays more interestingly than it sounds :D More impressions later, I'm a bit drunk now (still got something done with C2, take that every other 'simple to use' editor!)

Holy shit Construct 2 is good. I tried the free version now that C2 has been out for a while (played around with Construct 1 back in the day) and I managed to get a playable "game" done in less than a day. After I heard about the -40% sale they got going on, I had to buy the license. First time ever I actually feel like I can get something done and finished, regarding to game projects. I'm making a platform game based around the physics of different shapes of rocks, it plays more interestingly than it sounds :D More impressions later, I'm a bit drunk now (still got something done with C2, take that every other 'simple to use' editor!)

yeah. i bought Construct2 well before they released it (got the early adopter license just to show support)

The overhead is just enormous. Without a massive budget...

Noogy did it right. Hire a guy who knows the quality local non-union talent in LA.

I wanted Wil though. = P

Or if you built a rapport with the actors you used this time, see if they'd be willing to work with you non-union in the future. Some actors use pseudonyms they use for non-union work.

After so many tweaks and redesigned things behind the scenes like shooting, this weekend i'm finally getting around to finishing off the gun action part of generations.

You still stand still when shooting but you can also shoot in the air in 8 directions, thought I am looking at giving her walking speed when grounded.

Invisible gun, go!

kXSRZ6v.png

Knockback in the game is also completely redone, instead of going into an instant sonic the hedgehog style knockback followed by a landing animation, you get a more metroid/castlevania style bounce back landing on your feet, however you can be hit with a crit and go flying, landing while being in a crit style roll will knock you down, so will being hit in a small space where you can not be pushed back much.

Wall spikes will always critical you and can chain bounce you between two walls a bit, they are no joke in this game!

Turfster

I think I read Unity's mass system goes out of whack if you use wildly disproportionate values, but it seems 60 and 2000 are valid values:
Yeah, the fact that there's no single "party line" as it were doesn't help.
The online docs say "keep it between 0.1 and 10", but their own examples go up into the thousands themselves, so idk...

I also like how their Car Tutorial - which is overkill for what I want, but I figured I might as well check it out and see what I might be doing wrong - does not use their own wheelcolliders.

Anyway, I think I'll try to wrap my head around it again this weekend when I've got a bit more time.

Noogy

The overhead is just enormous. Without a massive budget...

Noogy did it right. Hire a guy who knows the quality local non-union talent in LA.

I wanted Wil though. = P

I can't imagine what you are going through :p I didn't even realize the difficulties involved until I was deep in it, and was very thankful to have hooked up with Mac and all the talent. It also made me appreciate that Microsoft allowed me to go non-union (you can go either way, but apparently people die and explode if you mix and match).

I'll have to get details from you sometime, for curiosity's sake.

I'll take this moment to pimp my voice and casting director again, Deven Mack (Mac) of Toon Platoon Casting. He'll make your game sound rad.

Feep

Banned
I can't imagine what you are going through :p I didn't even realize the difficulties involved until I was deep in it, and was very thankful to have hooked up with Mac and all the talent. It also made me appreciate that Microsoft allowed me to go non-union (you can go either way, but apparently people die and explode if you mix and match).

I'll have to get details from you sometime, for curiosity's sake.

I'll take this moment to pimp my voice and casting director again, Deven Mack (Mac) of Toon Platoon Casting. He'll make your game sound rad.
Mac's cool! So is my boy Eddie Bosco, except for his rabid love of Chicago sports.

Now that I've got a hang of the engine a bit, I'm working on changing the sprites up in that adventure game. I'm going for a 90's homage, but since the source comic that I'm working from is strictly black and white, I figured I'd import a page as a palette and make some black and white (ish) sprites. This is gonna take a loooot more time to animate than my weird hybrid SGA/NES style sprites I made while learning AGS, but I think it'll be a fun project.

tumblr_mluapvwzQ21qbqy7po1_250.png

Alastor3

After so many tweaks and redesigned things behind the scenes like shooting, this weekend i'm finally getting around to finishing off the gun action part of generations.

Hey Diablohead, I just wanted to say that, for the past 2 months, I had your character as a background wallpaper :3

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Since been doing a lot of development lately, think I am going to try this Ludum Dare this year. Will be my first. Excited~

Bollocks

I don't know why but it occurred to me last night:
Sniper game where you constantly have to be on the move, you die if you stop.

Duderino

Hi NeoGaf Indie developers! My name is Chris and I'm a 3D Character and Technical Artist that recently worked on Dance Central 3 at Backbone Entertainment. After Backbone closed its doors, I joined up with a team of new indie developers, JV5 Games. We're working on Air Dash Online, a platform fighter focused on creating fast paced, agile combat in a competitive setting. We certainly are inspired by Smash Brothers, but will be taking a different approach in a number of ways, first by moving away from the idea of a mascot fighter and building our own cast of characters:

(www.AirDashOnline.com)

Excited to mention that in the future I will be doing a series of casual live streams as I work, hosted by Clash Tournaments on twitchTV. I use a lot of my own custom built modeling tools in Maya, so even if you are a 3D pro, you might see a few new things.

Seeing a lot of familiar projects and talented developers in here, so I will definitely be contributing to this thread when I can. I'll keep an eye out for Unity3D shader programming questions as well, as that is also one of my responsibilities on the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom