• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
I'll be taking a look at some Blender tutorials, since I learned 3D Studio Max at college, but I won't be using it for the time being since it's out of my budget. If I had the money, I'd rather purchase Unity Pro licenses before this.

So far I've bookmarked Blender's 2-minute tutorials (except for the last one since it covers lights and rendering, which don't matter in games), as well as "Making a Mecanim-compatible rig in Blender" and "ENGLISH --- Blender Unity BASIC tutorial: the tank (parenting, rotating objects)".

Does anyone have any suggestions for video and/or text-based tutorials I should watch? I mostly want to learn some basic modeling (extruding objects and drawing with vertexes), UV mapping, rigging, animating and exporting the files to be used in Unity.
These aren't necessarily in order, but here are some links you may find useful.

Website with Blender manual, has some text instructions etc. (I am linking to the UV unwrapping section but you can dig around anywhere in the manual): http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Textures/Mapping/UV/Unwrapping

CGCookie Blender intro videos: http://cgcookie.com/blender/get-started-with-blender/

Blender wikibook: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro

Really basic rigging tutorial that I liked, using a Minecraft-esque block figure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLsBnLn41-U

Im playing around with Unity 4.
And Im completly lost with it. The 3d navigation is getting me lost. It doesnt autosnap or anything, and the camera view is a pain to navigate.

Any solutions?
Double clicking on an object in the scene or in the hierarchy should snap you to it.

Also shift + whatever direction will make you zip around faster in the scene.

In general just keep playing with it, navigating a scene becomes second nature quickly.

Bollocks

So what's the best way to animate a FPS camera in Unity?
Just make it a child of the animated character?
But wouldn't that override the manual mouselook?

I want to make an exploration game, think early TR but with Mirrors Edge like FPS controls and some puzzles mixed in.

I'll do this either with CryEngine or Unity but I think I'll go with Unity because it's easier to set up (collisions etc) even though it doesn't have the creative tools that come with CryEngine

desu

I want to make an exploration game, think early TR but with Mirrors Edge like FPS controls and some puzzles mixed in.

I'll do this either with CryEngine or Unity but I think I'll go with Unity because it's easier to set up (collisions etc) even though it doesn't have the creative tools that come with CryEngine

Are you planning to sell it in the future, or just for your own experience? If you have any commercial interest I would check the CryEngine licence (and comments on it from the community) thoroughly because I remember Indies having problems over problems getting the right licence (if they got an reply from CryTek at all ).

satriales

I've got a fairly simple poker game on the Google Play store. It was working fine until the last update but now if I download it the game simply crashes every time while loading. Thing is it works fine running in Eclipse, and also works if I copy the APK directly to the phone, it's only when I download from the store that it crashes.

Does anyone know how I could begin to find the problem? I've tried re-uploading a couple of times.

Edit: Uploaded it again and it is working now.

JulianImp

So what's the best way to animate a FPS camera in Unity?
Just make it a child of the animated character?
But wouldn't that override the manual mouselook?

I think you'd have to place it alongside the character, but add a slightly different mouselook script. The player controls horizontal rotation (basically rotating along the Y-axis), while the camera pans up and down (X-axis rotation).

You should try out the Standard Asset's FPSWalker, since it probably does what you want it to do and comes in one of Unity's built-in asset bundles. Just go to Assets -> Import Package -> Character Controller, and select whichever files you'll need.

As far as CryEngine vs Unity goes, I think you can't sell CryEngine games without a license, while Unity basic is free and allows you to sell whatever games you make (unless you or your company has an anual income of over $100,000, but then you'r probably be able to afford the $1,500 required for Unity Pro).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Question for you guys...How powerful of a laptop would one need to do dev on the go? I'm looking at getting a laptop that I can dedicate to programming and AutoCAD (for work). I wouldn't be doing anything crazy in terms of development, but I would probably like to look into being able to handle Unity without any hiccups.

desu

Question for you guys...How powerful of a laptop would one need to do dev on the go? I'm looking at getting a laptop that I can dedicate to programming and AutoCAD (for work). I wouldn't be doing anything crazy in terms of development, but I would probably like to look into being able to handle Unity without any hiccups.

Well if it can run Autocad well then Unity shouldn't be a problem? At least if you plan to do Autocad for work then I would expect that the laptop would have a decent cpu/ram/gpu anyway? Not really into laptops but a decent i5/i7 quad core with 8gb ram and a not too shabby gpu shouldn't cost a fortune these days (well and a display with a decent resolution!!!).

JulianImp

Well if it can run Autocad well then Unity shouldn't be a problem? At least if you plan to do Autocad for work then I would expect that the laptop would have a decent cpu/ram/gpu anyway? Not really into laptops but a decent i5/i7 quad core with 8gb ram and a not too shabby gpu shouldn't cost a fortune these days (well and a display with a decent resolution!!!).

I bought a new laptop with 4GB RAM, i5 3.2 GHz CPU and 1GB ATI GPU, and it runs Unity perfectly fine.

Heck, it even runs on my PC at work (Pentium 4 @ 3 GHz, 2GB RAM) after we replaced the on-board GPU (64 MB, which it leeched off of the RAM!) for an ATI Radeon HD 4350 we had lying around in an unused PC. In-game it could be a bit problematic if you want to try out the highest quality settings though, but since we develop mobile here we simply test on the devices instead.

desu

I bought a new laptop with 4GB RAM, i5 3.2 GHz CPU and 1GB ATI GPU, and it runs Unity perfectly fine.

Well sure it runs it, but is it always fun? I neither do any real Unity nor Autocad stuff but I would expect that if you do more complex stuff, a lower/medium-end notebook just might not cut it anymore (it might run it, but slower and more annoyingly that it needs to and the hardware I mentioned is not exactly totally high-end or super pricey either). Comes down to what you really want to do, and how complex. I personally wouldn't want to have just 4gb ram when I have tons of applications open (Photoshop, 3DS Max, Unity or CryEngine and tons of other apps).

My previous pc at work had like 1/3 lower stats then what you mentioned for the laptop and running Visual Studio 2010 wasn't always that much fun, sure I could get my work done but it was rather annoying at times.

PhiLonius

Had been going through a bit of a creative block with Game Maker for a while and decided to try and get Unity running properly on my PC again.

So after going back over some tutorials for that and Blender I've been working on this for the past couple hours, trying my hand at 3D modeling again.

Hoping to have a prototype of this idea I have up and running by this weekend.

3f53UCy.png

Uhyve

So after going back over some tutorials for that and Blender I've been working on this for the past couple hours, trying my hand at 3D modeling again.
Looks like a Wipeout vehicle, by which I mean, it looks cool, obviously. Curious to see your prototype.

Side note: Really wishing that I'd have gone with Unity instead of making my own engine right now.

Popstar

Looks like a Wipeout vehicle, by which I mean, it looks cool, obviously. Curious to see your prototype.

Side note: Really wishing that I'd have gone with Unity instead of making my own engine right now.
The thing about Unity is that it's quick to get stuff up and running but it can be hard to finish things.

This doesn't usually matter though because most people don't finish their games. :p

Had been going through a bit of a creative block with Game Maker for a while and decided to try and get Unity running properly on my PC again.

Hoping to have a prototype of this idea I have up and running by this weekend.
That looks awesome dude. If I have no experience, how long would it take me to learn to make something even close to that? I think I'm going to make it a summer project to learn Blender or something.

Uhyve

The thing about Unity is that it's quick to get stuff up and running but it can be hard to finish things.

This doesn't usually matter though because most people don't finish their games. :p
Heh, to be fair, that seems to be an issue with most indie games. There always seems to be roadblocks.

For me at least. Adding new features, totally fine. New graphical effects, fun! AI, wow that was surprisingly easy. Making sure a grid selection is valid according to a bunch of arbitrary rules and expressing that to the player via GUI, oh my god maybe next month, possibly longer, I really don't even want to think about it.

fr3shme4t

Neo Member
Heh, to be fair, that seems to be an issue with most indie games. There always seems to be roadblocks.

For me at least. Adding new features, totally fine. New graphical effects, fun! AI, wow that was surprisingly easy. Making sure a grid selection is valid according to a bunch of arbitrary rules and expressing that to the player via GUI, oh my god maybe next month, possibly longer, I really don't even want to think about it.

That's because most people do what's fun to do first, not what makes your game fun to play, which is often sloging through boring ass UI code. It take discipline to really get thigs done.

PhiLonius

That looks awesome dude. If I have no experience, how long would it take me to learn to make something even close to that? I think I'm going to make it a summer project to learn Blender or something.

I'm basically starting from scratch here. I played around with Maya and Blender about a year or so ago but never really got too much into it and could barely even remember how to move around.

So I really just watched a few tutorial/example videos and went from there. That model is a couple hours work with several restarts during the process, nothing too big.

Check the Blender site and youtube for some beginner tips and then just try and make something simple, play around with the tools, etc, and go from there.

Uhyve

That's because most people do what's fun to do first, not what makes your game fun to play, which is often sloging through boring ass UI code. It take discipline to really get thigs done.
True dat. At least there's this thread to help guilt us into getting stuff done. And if course, guilt is an okay replacement for discipline, especially if you're working in a team, hehe.

JulianImp

True dat. At least there's this thread to help guilt us into getting stuff done. And if course, guilt is an okay replacement for discipline, especially if you're working in a team, hehe.

For me, the roadblock I've experienced with Quark Storm is actually learning enough about level design to come up with enough interesting ways to use the game mechanics and world-specific elements, all while watching the difficulty curve so it actually makes sense and levels can be completed by people other than myself. Developers should never judge their own game's difficulty, not due to bias but rather due to being so used to playtesting levels while they're being built that they end up breezing through most of them, all while the average player gets stuck right at the beginning (yeah, that kind of thing did happen with one of Quark's early levels).

I guess you're right. It's a lot harder to procastinate when by doing so you're letting other people down. It's the one reason I think I work better with others, since I can't bin projects just like that.

That said, I'm currently working on a project with somebody else. If all goes well, I guess there'll be something we can show in a month or so. Coming up with a viable physics system according to what we need is proving quite entertaining, even if I still can't grasp it completely!

Having to make sure what you do works well with somebody else's work is also a nice change of peace, since I have to make the code fit the game rather than fitting the game around my code.

just popping in again to say that i'm a programmer looking for a 2d artist/animator to work with. i'm looking for someone who is dedicated to finishing and releasing a game. i'm open to ideas and target platforms. pm me if interested. thanks!

So my apple certification ends in a month and I have a short dumb mostly non gamemaker app I'll be making that I'll toss out and see if people like. It's an easy project but I think I'm going to enjoy it.

just popping in again to say that i'm a programmer looking for a 2d artist/animator to work with. i'm looking for someone who is dedicated to finishing and releasing a game. i'm open to ideas and target platforms. pm me if interested. thanks!

I'm sorry for dropping out on you last time but graduate work has been hella rough. I'm going into my thesis year but should be free after the school year is over, though depending on my thesis I may be able to work on something as my thesis project.

I've also finally nailed down a way to do skeletal 2D puppet animation (similar to shank and other titles) using After Effects and Spriter (need to sit down with spriter more though).

razu

As others have said, the 'hard to finish things' isn't anything to do with Unity. It's hard to finish anything, ever. It's also why keeping things simple is so important.

Right now I'm having a hard time starting something. My mind is full of a million ideas, and I want to make them all. I don't know what to do!! I guess I should follow my own advice and just do something.

JulianImp

As others have said, the 'hard to finish things' isn't anything to do with Unity. It's hard to finish anything, ever. It's also why keeping things simple is so important.

Right now I'm having a hard time starting something. My mind is full of a million ideas, and I want to make them all. I don't know what to do!! I guess I should follow my own advice and just do something.

Since Unity's good at rapid prototyping, why don't you just try building a few and seeing which one you like the most? It shouldn't take too long and you'll still have the remaining prototypes around for when you want to tinker with them again.

So my apple certification ends in a month and I have a short dumb mostly non gamemaker app I'll be making that I'll toss out and see if people like. It's an easy project but I think I'm going to enjoy it.

I'm sorry for dropping out on you last time but graduate work has been hella rough. I'm going into my thesis year but should be free after the school year is over, though depending on my thesis I may be able to work on something as my thesis project.

I've also finally nailed down a way to do skeletal 2D puppet animation (similar to shank and other titles) using After Effects and Spriter (need to sit down with spriter more though).

no worries!

RSP

I made a post a while back about a game jam we were having at the office. We are now playtesting the build to see if people like it. We're thinking about putting it up on Kongregate to expose it to a larger crowd, but I would love to hear your feedback.

So far we've had people who think the upgrades are too "expensive" as they take away from your high score.

You can try the game for yourself at: Protocannon (Unity)

Kamaki

Well I had to take a drastic turn with my game; originally I was aiming for the iPad but really I overshot that a lot and couldn't get it to run well enough. So now, with the degree show looming, I've retooled it to be a mock wii game. Hooked up the Wii remote and everything.

Check out my video here.

And try the latest build here.

Pause is middle mouse button btw if you want to quit to menu.

zXHHNlK.jpg

Anustart

It's always something...

If I boot Unity, my new little test character moves as expected, then about a minute in, his position just starts jumping around. Stopping the play and restarting doesn't fix, only rebooting Unity... :/

Edit: Now it happens all the time, oh my.

2nd Edit: Seems I may have found the problem, and also accidentally discovered what I was planning on implementing later.

PhiLonius

It's always something...

If I boot Unity, my new little test character moves as expected, then about a minute in, his position just starts jumping around. Stopping the play and restarting doesn't fix, only rebooting Unity... :/

Edit: Now it happens all the time, oh my.

2nd Edit: Seems I may have found the problem, and also accidentally discovered what I was planning on implementing later.

Funny how that works sometimes.

omg_mjd

Don't believe it's been mentioned here yet but Construct 2 is 40% off until April 29. Both on the Scirra website and on Steam.

I tried the free version first, did the beginner's tutorial and was pleasantly surprised by how intuitive the event-action system works. Liked it well enough that I bought the Personal version on Steam ($71).

razu

Since Unity's good at rapid prototyping, why don't you just try building a few and seeing which one you like the most? It shouldn't take too long and you'll still have the remaining prototypes around for when you want to tinker with them again.

Yeah, I've done a bit of that. It feels like I'm just messing around though, but I guess something will spark and I'll run with it. It has been focused in terms of each proto has used something I've not used before. So it has been useful training at least.

I feel like going back to an old prototype and fleshing that out rather than making tons of mini-prototypes now.. Get back to finishing things. Even if it's finishing a demo.

I've got the opposite of writer's block. Game writer's brain overload!!

Feep

Banned
All right, my Unity bros. (I'll be cross-posting this in the programming thread, as well.)

Here's a sample project that opens a .NET Console Application process, opens a pipe, and sends a simple string through to the other end. It works! Sort of.

There seems to be some weird, jerky behavior going on. Attempting to drag the window is stuttery, and it seems to freeze for a second or two reasonably frequently before fixing itself. I don't know what's causing the problem...nearly identical code running outside of Unity, in another standard .NET Console Application, works perfectly fine.

Offering small cash reward to anyone who can solve the problem and get everything buttery smooth. = D

Edit: Solved, see below

IndianElephant

Neo Member
I've just uploaded an early playable of my game: http://wingedpixel.com/heroes-of-a-broken-land/

It's a PC turn-based RPG, inspired by games like the old Might and Magic series. Procedurally generated world and all that.

I'm at the stage where I'm looking to get outside opinions.

I played this for like 5 minutes and really enjoyed it in spite of or perhaps in part because of the confusing, archaic, (nostalgic) interface. I hope you keep working on this game.

IndianElephant

Neo Member
DOWNLOAD

This is my current progress on a Beat Them Up engine. Me and a friend who play the Double Dragon series as a form of bonding have wanted to collaborate on a DD2-esque game for ages now, and I'm finally getting things off the ground.

Z attacks, X jumps, arrows move. You can throw a punch or do a jump-kick, and punches result in one of 2 types of attack depending on which frame of the punch animation catches the baddie. Double tapping in a direction will make you run. You can also use an XB360 gamepad, or probably any other gamepad (haven't tested others).

My next goal is to rough out some AI for the mooks.

Oh, and I found the music on Battle of the Bits - it's by a fellow named Jeremy Bouchard.

Feep

Banned
Holy crap, I did it. After two weeks of banging my head against walls, with System.Speech and importing .dll's and interop testing and native C++ libraries and cross-platform considerations and thread spawning and interprocess piping and please no more, I finally got my voice recognition tech working smoothly inside Unity.

I can use this thing.

Time to port my existing code! Should be a good couple weeks to do it. Hopefully, by the time the team gets here in early June, everything'll be waiting and ready to go. = D

Woooooooooooooooooo

razu

Holy crap, I did it. After two weeks of banging my head against walls, with System.Speech and importing .dll's and interop testing and native C++ libraries and cross-platform considerations and thread spawning and interprocess piping and please no more, I finally got my voice recognition tech working smoothly inside Unity.

I can use this thing.

Time to port my existing code! Should be a good couple weeks to do it. Hopefully, by the time the team gets here in early June, everything'll be waiting and ready to go. = D

Woooooooooooooooooo

Wicked man. Going from potential 'brick wall' to 'all systems go' is always nice! :D

JulianImp

I can use this thing.

Woooooooooooooooooo

It's amazing to see what more technically-minded users can do. Language recognition seems like an arduous task to do... heuristics are kind of not my thing for now.

Meanwhile, I'm merely trying to make a platform system where the player can stick to any surface and move alongside it regardless of orientation, while still keeping Unity's default physics around for some special cases.

Turfster

Meanwhile, I'm merely trying to make a platform system where the player can stick to any surface and move alongside it regardless of orientation, while still keeping Unity's default physics around for some special cases.

Unity's physics implementation is what's making that bloody stain on the wall bigger and bigger at the moment for me. The thing keeps trolling me and seems to be ignoring mass and friction just to piss me off.
In what possible world would a person with a mass of 60 that walks into a car (read, a block resting on 4 wheelcolliders) with a mass of 2000 make the car start spinning?

missile

Back to work. My parents were visiting us here at Vienna and we showed them
some of the interesting places of the city and surroundings for about a week.
Am glad being back at work. ;)

Quoting myself;
Speaking in behalf of my game, I'm made some good progress. I've been working
on the story quite a bit and now found a smooth way to introduce the player
into the game. The situation for my game is quite different to others, since
the prototype(s) you're going to see are already part of the game. The game
starts once you see the first prototype!
So the development of the prototype
is actually part of the game itself. The stage where the player enters the
game is way after prototype development. But the story, the game, has already
been started way before - with the development of the prototype itself. ...
Arrgh ... I have to backtrack from the story. As more I dive into it, as more
involve it gets, which is cool but it takes way too much time - and me away
from coding. Better to split things up to keep everything as easy as possible.

JulianImp

Unity's physics implementation is what's making that bloody stain on the wall bigger and bigger at the moment for me. The thing keeps trolling me and seems to be ignoring mass and friction just to piss me off.
In what possible world would a person with a mass of 60 that walks into a car (read, a block resting on 4 wheelcolliders) with a mass of 2000 make the car start spinning?

I think I read Unity's mass system goes out of whack if you use wildly disproportionate values, but it seems 60 and 2000 are valid values:
Unity's ridibody reference said:
The mass of the object (arbitrary units). It is recommended to make masses not more or less than 100 times that of other Rigidbodies.

I tried something like that using physics once with a spinning rigidbody that was supposed to not be slowed down by collisions as it pushed objects aroudn. Rather than that, it always slowed down as it launched an object due to its rotation speed, regardless of how much mass I gave it compared to the other objects. In the end I solved it by making it kinematic and rotating it using its transform, but that won't apply to your person-car interaction.

Thinking about it, perhaps you could give the car high drag and angular drag values to make it stop faster. You could try setting it at the highest force it receives from colliding against a player to make it counteract that force immediately, and then tweak the value to make sure the added drag doesn't make the car handle in a really weird way when it's driving around.

fr3shme4t

Neo Member

I can use this thing.

Woooooooooooooooooo

Awesome. I think more games need the ability to understand my cursing and frustrations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom