• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, you need a direction for it to be a vector but to get the direction you need a second point otherwise it's just a single point with no information where it's going.
Nope, two points define a line segment, not a vector. You can calculate a difference vector from two points but it would be very odd to store (or think of) a vector as two points.

The vectors from (1, 0) to (1, 1) and (0, 0) to (0, 1) are both (0, 1), the same vector. A vector does not have a "start point", just a (non-negative) magnitude and direction.

Feep

Banned
Nope, two points define a line segment, not a vector. You can calculate a difference vector from two points but it would be very odd to store (or think of) a vector as two points.

The vectors from (1, 0) to (1, 1) and (0, 0) to (0, 1) are both (0, 1), the same vector. A vector does not have a "start point", just a (non-negative) magnitude and direction.
Oh hey remember when you made that awesome game

I wanna play it again

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Why can't iOS gamekit just work how I want it to :(
Well, it does work as it should while connected to the Internet, but not in airplane mode. If authenticated with game center in the game, but not connected to the internet, game center is supposed to cache your achievement progress and upload it next time you are connected. But it just doesn't report every completion percentage change to achievements that I have tested. I don't know why, but now I've got to code in my own method to check all my locally stored achievement data against what game center holds at startup and update it myself if it doesn't match.

b0b

Neo Member
Yeah, that sounds exactly like what I was getting hung up on with OOP.

What is your take on entity systems (as described here for example? They seem designed to solve the problem of separating data from algorithms, and I've heard nothing but praise in the few articles I've read on them.

I think my next goal will be to make a simple game or two using entity systems and try to wrap my head around that process.

I implemented an entity component system into my engine. Before that I used a scene graph approach (a lighter version of VRML/X3D standard). I've read many (A LOT) articles about entity component systems, including the one you've linked. I'm quite happy I ditched the scene graph. My implementation is quite different from missiles approach.

There are Entities, Components and Systems. An Entity has two lists - one is holding the ids of the Components the entity is using and the other is holding the groups it belongs to. Groups are used as "tags" like "Player", "Enemy" etc. Components are holding the data - like the "PositionComponent" is holding an 4x4 matrix, the "MovementComponent" is holding the velocity data, the "ModelComponent" is holding the 3d-model and so on. The Systems are used to update the component data - you can define what components/groups the system is using. i.e. the "RenderingSystem" would only operate on entities which have both an "PositionalComponent" and "ModelComponent". If the "update" function of the "RenderingSystem" is called it simply iterates "its" entities and sends the 4x4 matrix of the "PositionComponent" and the 3d-model of the "ModelComponent" to the actual renderer. The Components itself aren't aware about other components. The Systems (normally) don't know about other systems - they communicate through sending and receiving events. So one need to implement a good event manager. Also for this whole approach to work, you'll need some kind of an entity manager which creates entities and adds/removes components and groups for/from the entities. This manager needs to tell your systems that one entity was changed, so they can react to that.

You can find a simple but very good Java-implementation of this approach in "Artemis" (http://gamadu.com/artemis/). I took an early version of it as an inspiration, but mine is much more complex now (and is in C++). Honestly I haven't looked at artemis lately, so I don't know how different it is to their earlier version.
The implementation itself wasn't easy, but it was worth it. It's one of the most complex parts of my engine. The thing is - I'm writing an engine without having a game/genre in mind. So it's quite flexible to try out different things.

Bollocks

http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/VectorCookbook.html
images.jpg

Anyone interested in doing a twitter follow exchange? I made an account cause I'm going to release my game soon, but I don't want to look like a loser with no followers. If you want to, I'm @emmetmorris
Just added you

Why can't iOS gamekit just work how I want it to :(
Well, it does work as it should while connected to the Internet, but not in airplane mode. If authenticated with game center in the game, but not connected to the internet, game center is supposed to cache your achievement progress and upload it next time you are connected. But it just doesn't report every completion percentage change to achievements that I have tested. I don't know why, but now I've got to code in my own method to check all my locally stored achievement data against what game center holds at startup and update it myself if it doesn't match.
If I remember the code examples I've seen, that's actually the expected case, you are suppose to implement some array to hold all the unsynced calls.

Miutsu

Hey guys,

Following the talk on the last page about programmer art I'm posting some screenshots of the current progress of our 2D shooter as I would like some opinions on the looks :)

It is as I said a 2D shooter mixed up with rhythm/music mechanics used activate power ups and improve the raw power of your ship, a better explanation will come later when we can make a good video about it with proper music and we are able to finalize the music controls. There are also supposed to be collisions with some structures but by the time I took the screenshots only the ships and bullets had bodies in them, so you will see ships flying over walls and the like.

The art is based on simple shapes but with many color variations using an opengl fragment shader to do the palette swaps, as seen in one of the screens (when the swap is happening).

The game is made using Java with LibGDX (Desktop/Mobile/HTML5 cross-platform library) and Box2D for collision detection and movement.

Any feedback would be very appreciated!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
That looks really nice Miutsu. The last two are lovely.

I did a bit more work on my own stuff over the bank holiday weekend.

A second prototype of player movement is available to play around with :)

http://gofreak-ie.appspot.com/

HvDQOY9.png

The big addition is an 'anti-gravity unit', which will be key in the game. It basically lets you fly about in a less constrained fashion when you are outside the influence of a gravity field. The mouse controls pitch, and you can move up and down vertically using the jump and crouch buttons. It activates and deactivates automatically depending on whether you're in a gravity field or not - a little indicator in the top left tells you its current status.

I also refactored the gravity code, so gravity fields can change their gravity force now.

I added a little puzzle to make use of this! The object is to get the cube into the hole in the platform in the distance as quickly as possible, and avoid pushing the cube out into open space... The best submitted time is displayed on the webpage if you're feeling competitive :p

Feedback welcome!

omg_mjd

Hey guys,

Following the talk on the last page about programmer art I'm posting some screenshots of the current progress of our 2D shooter as I would like some opinions on the looks :)

It is as I said a 2D shooter mixed up with rhythm/music mechanics used activate power ups and improve the raw power of your ship, a better explanation will come later when we can make a good video about it with proper music and we are able to finalize the music controls. There are also supposed to be collisions with some structures but by the time I took the screenshots only the ships and bullets had bodies in them, so you will see ships flying over walls and the like.

The art is based on simple shapes but with many color variations using an opengl fragment shader to do the palette swaps, as seen in one of the screens (when the swap is happening).

The game is made using Java with LibGDX (Desktop/Mobile/HTML5 cross-platform library) and Box2D for collision detection and movement.

Any feedback would be very appreciated!

Looks good. The artstyle has a heavy Sound Shapes vibe to it.

I implemented an entity component system into my engine. Before that I used a scene graph approach (a lighter version of VRML/X3D standard). I've read many (A LOT) articles about entity component systems, including the one you've linked. I'm quite happy I ditched the scene graph. My implementation is quite different from missiles approach.

There are Entities, Components and Systems. An Entity has two lists - one is holding the ids of the Components the entity is using and the other is holding the groups it belongs to. Groups are used as "tags" like "Player", "Enemy" etc. Components are holding the data - like the "PositionComponent" is holding an 4x4 matrix, the "MovementComponent" is holding the velocity data, the "ModelComponent" is holding the 3d-model and so on. The Systems are used to update the component data - you can define what components/groups the system is using. i.e. the "RenderingSystem" would only operate on entities which have both an "PositionalComponent" and "ModelComponent". If the "update" function of the "RenderingSystem" is called it simply iterates "its" entities and sends the 4x4 matrix of the "PositionComponent" and the 3d-model of the "ModelComponent" to the actual renderer. The Components itself aren't aware about other components. The Systems (normally) don't know about other systems - they communicate through sending and receiving events. So one need to implement a good event manager. Also for this whole approach to work, you'll need some kind of an entity manager which creates entities and adds/removes components and groups for/from the entities. This manager needs to tell your systems that one entity was changed, so they can react to that.

You can find a simple but very good Java-implementation of this approach in "Artemis" (http://gamadu.com/artemis/). I took an early version of it as an inspiration, but mine is much more complex now (and is in C++). Honestly I haven't looked at artemis lately, so I don't know how different it is to their earlier version.
The implementation itself wasn't easy, but it was worth it. It's one of the most complex parts of my engine. The thing is - I'm writing an engine without having a game/genre in mind. So it's quite flexible to try out different things.

I'm using Artemis now, actually -- really like what I've read about it so far. I'm using the C# port which I think adds some extra features over the Java version, but it's still very manageable. I'm sticking with fairly basic stuff for now though (like Pong/Breakout) while I get a feel for how it all works.

missile

Hey guys,

Following the talk on the last page about programmer art I'm posting some screenshots of the current progress of our 2D shooter as I would like some opinions on the looks :) ...
Good process! Style and color are pretty nice. Now some animations please!

AlexM

I really need to give a more component oriented architecture a try. It's hard to switch over they style I've become so used to. I'll give those articles a shot

missile

Well, this is my first game content of the game I am developing, called ZONE.

ZONE puts you into a fast-paced, adrenaline amplifying, and unforgivable
environment that will put your senses to the test!

ZONE_Z1.PT-ff_0x1332acb.gif

The animation shows the output of the board computer of the Z1.PT-ff craft
while booting its firmware and starting the VRO (Virtual Reality Overlay)
unit showing its output on the screen. The VRO unit generates a VR field
around the craft while the board computer displays a rough approximation of it.

The VRO unit as well as the whole craft are under heavy development. The board
computer (BDC) controls the operational characteristics of the craft by
executing software controlling various hardware devices. Further, the BDC can
be fully programmed allowing you to adjust or to reprogram most of the units
for customizing the craft to your advantage, giving you a possible edge
against the competition.

robin2

We'll be soon publishing our game. It'll be out on Google play with in-app purchases.
We strictly want to publish/distribute autonomously for the western market (american+european countries), but we don't know exactly what to do for the eastern ones (or basically: China, In-app purchase in China is not supported).

Currently we're in contact with Letang Inc..

Any opinion about what to do? Is Letang Inc. good? Any good publisher (or whatever) to turn to for the publishing in the eastern market?

Thanks.

GulAtiCa

Man, sometimes I feel like I'm fighting Unity to get it to work correctly. :lol But, at least I'm getting a better handle on it all. Even started working on a 2d platformer as a test game. Even thought up an unique art style for the game.

Pietepiet

Well, this is my first game content of the game I am developing, called ZONE.

ZONE puts you into a fast-paced, adrenaline amplifying, and unforgivable
environment that will put your senses to the test!

ZONE_Z1.PT-ff_0x1332acb.gif

The animation shows the output of the board computer of the Z1.PT-ff craft
while booting its firmware and starting the VRO (Virtual Reality Overlay)
unit showing its output on the screen. The VRO unit generates a VR field
around the craft while the board computer displays a rough approximation of it.

The VRO unit as well as the whole craft are under heavy development. The board
computer (BDC) controls the operational characteristics of the craft by
executing software controlling various hardware devices. Further, the BDC can
be fully programmed allowing you to adjust or to reprogram most of the units
for customizing the craft to your advantage, giving you a possible edge
against the competition.

This is lovely

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Slowly working through the basic interface and understanding how to get around Unity and get started with basic manipulation. I have got to say, I'm very impressed by the tutorial series someone linked me last page. Very great bite-sized chunks of information that make it very easy to learn and understand what I'm doing. It will likely be a while before I am able to put anything out of any value whatsoever, but it's going to be fun to see it all come together.

As an artist myself I'll say that art is overrated. Good mechanics and solid gameplay, show it off, and artists will come.

If it ever makes you feel better, look at Braid with Jonathan's original artwork. I enjoy all of his talks, but this one might inspire you (about 26 minutes in): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISutk1mauPM

Bayonetta Prototype

This reminds me how much you get across even with limited animations and art.

Another good example is the Building the Bastion series of videos that Supergiant games did before Bastion released. They showed the game in its then current state and compared it to what it looked like in prototype. And you see similarly poor art and animation, but the gameplay looks good. It demonstrates the key parts.

Both of these examples serve as great reminders that something doesn't have to look beautiful/finished to convey the correct message to the players.

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1015821/Creating-a-Sequel-to-a Skip to 'New Environment Demo'. This is better looking then I remembered, but what's interesting to me is the lack of care for the textures, but the clear focus on the personality that the animations of the palm tree and the room folding up show.

Just some examples I tend to think of to remind myself that you don't need finished art to get started.

Blizzard

Banned
missile, may I suggest a color other than solid red for the background? Big swaths of solid red color are super irritating to look at. Or if you absolutely have to have those colors, try red foreground and black background instead.

missile

@Pietepiet: Oh really? Thx. Still have to tackle the renderer to eliminate
most of the clutter.

@Blizzard: Yeah, it looks a bit offending in isolation. But imagine the screen
sitting somewhere in the lower left of your cockpit coloring the surrounding
in a slight red. Well, I tried "red foreground and black background", but it
looks awful, since the lines thickens visually.

@DMPrince: For the girls playing the game, the monitor will be colored pink,
yes!

However. The monitor's fore- and background color can be change later on
by the player.
Easy.

Next I'm going to implement a command structure into the craft's firmware
such that the player can enter commands being executed by the BDC. I've
already programmed the console interface to enter commands and displaying
them accordingly, but the commands aren't recognized yet. And since I want
the commands to be a little bit more sophisticated and flexible, commands can
have parameters and can be executed in sequence from the console and'ing
them together. So parsing get a little bit more difficult that way, but hey!

Miutsu

That looks really nice Miutsu. The last two are lovely.

Thanks, the palette in the last screenshot is my favorite currently. I tried your prototype and I liked the gravity mechanics, I was wondering how are you determining in which field the player is currently, some type of trigger area or raycasting?

Looks good. The artstyle has a heavy Sound Shapes vibe to it.

Heh, yeah I was waiting for someone to notice, the artstyle is heavily inspired by Sound Shapes and their multiple palette system, loved it.

Man, sometimes I feel like I'm fighting Unity to get it to work correctly. :lol But, at least I'm getting a better handle on it all. Even started working on a 2d platformer as a test game. Even thought up an unique art style for the game.

I'm dreading the moment I have to move to Unity myself :( #soon

Good process! Style and color are pretty nice. Now some animations please!

Thanks! Animations.. I'm not sure how I'm going to go about it for this game, but at least I know bosses are going to be animated, planning to use Spine for that. Btw I love the .gifs you often post in the thread, very detailed and good animations :)

El Sloth

Banned
Any folks here from NYC? I'm organizing this tiny fighting game event in Queens during this coming August and it's looking like we'll have a LOT of space we won't be using, so I thought about maybe using the space for any interested NYC based indie devs to come down and show off whatever game they're currently working on and get some real world playtesting done while our attendees get to play cool indie stuff. I figure it'd be a mutually beneficial thing.

benSks

Neo Member
About a year ago i released my first game on ios, it was a survival horror game called 'End Night' for iPad. Wasn't completely happy with how it turned out but ran out of money and so had to release what i had.

Since it's release i went back to work in visual effects briefly on the film 'Jack the giant killer' but pretty soon wanted to make a new game.

And so a year and a half later i've just released the greenlight for my new game called 'The Forest' This time for PC and Oculus rift.

It's an open world survival horror game inspired in part by films like 'The Descent' and 'Cannibal Holocaust'

Here's a link to the greenlight if anyone is interested in seeing it on steam:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=143803558

and here's an image from the game:

4720p.png

Dascu

About a year ago i released my first game on ios, it was a survival horror game called 'End Night' for iPad. Wasn't completely happy with how it turned out but ran out of money and so had to release what i had.

Since it's release i went back to work in visual effects briefly on the film 'Jack the giant killer' but pretty soon wanted to make a new game.

And so a year and a half later i've just released the greenlight for my new game called 'The Forest' This time for PC and Oculus rift.

It's an open world survival horror game inspired in part by films like 'The Descent' and 'Cannibal Holocaust'

http://www.survivetheforest.com/4720p.png[img][/QUOTE]
Ah! I gave this a thumbs up on Greenlight just a moment ago, even before seeing your post. I do think you should put up a better banner though, it looks a bit like a quick copy-paste on that black background.

Rest of the game looks excellent and I really like the concept.

benSks

Neo Member
Ah! I gave this a thumbs up on Greenlight just a moment ago, even before seeing your post. I do think you should put up a better banner though, it looks a bit like a quick copy-paste on that black background.

Rest of the game looks excellent and I really like the concept.

Thanks for checking it out!

That's a good idea about the banner, i made it really quickly. I'll try and take another look at it.

missile

The forest looks crowded, which is good. But I don't like the coloring. Way
too colorful for me. But perhaps you did it on purpose.

Perfect, like old DOS or Linux programs could let you change the coloring. :)
Pretty much. But for now I go with just changing the color of the monitor
hardware, which currently can only display at most two colors on the screen
at once. Later, having a more advanced monitor (more colors, higher
resolution, etc.), I'm going to annotate the ASCII code spending either an
extra byte for things like colors and style, or I just restrict the ASCII
table to 128 entries using the high part for colors and style. Don't know yet.

However, within ZONE, you will be able to install your own ASCII table. So you
can have whatever character/typeface you want and color them the way you
please.

razu

Been away for a few days, and I have an indie thread backlog!! It's getting busy in here!

I have a request for help! Does anybody have a Nexus 10 they can test a build on later this week? I think it was mentioned in this thread, but Chopper Mike has a rendering glitch I'd like to fix. Any help would be much appreciated! :D

Also going to fix the pausing and use of back button while I'm at it.

Feep

Banned

4720p.png
As a GAF member, game designer, and Oculus Rift owner, I will totally help you betatest this game.

Just saying. ; )

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Being focused on my own projects, I haven't really posted in this thread, but I'd just like to say that you're on to a winner with that concept. Depending on the level design, it could be the next game in the line of Portal-like puzzlers.

I'm doing a similar thing with, messing with gravity, but only in two dimensions. Good luck getting it to work.

Sorry, I just saw your post now - very kind of you! I would be curious to see your project :)

The 'big idea' of the game isn't Portal-like puzzling, though that kind of gameplay could feature...it's sort of hard to explain without going into greater detail, which I'll leave until things are a bit more advanced.

Though you might like the new prototype! It has a very simple physics/gravity puzzle added.

Thanks, the palette in the last screenshot is my favorite currently. I tried your prototype and I liked the gravity mechanics, I was wondering how are you determining in which field the player is currently, some type of trigger area or raycasting?

Thank you! And yes sir, a trigger volume is used to track what objects are in what fields, including the player.

We spent way too much time getting these escaping fireflys just right.

Pretty. What kind of game is this?

Feep

Banned
I'm probably gonna end up being so annoying to everyone in here with all the Unity questions I'm going to ask over the coming...forever.

Anyway, I'm trying to get familiar with the design patterns in Unity...it's not quite standard OOP, so it's gonna take some time.

I'm trying right now to create a UI Manager that holds and manages all UI elements. One of those elements is an element that displays five strings in the upper right of the screen (let's just call that element "FiveStrings").

So, I created a GameObject called UIManager, and attached the UIManager.cs script to it. In the script, it creates and adds the FiveStrings component. The FiveStrings component then adds five GUIText components to the UIManager.

But wait! I can't add more than one component of each type to any particular game object. Does this mean I need five completely separate GameObjects for each of the five strings? Seems kind of inefficient.

What's best practices here?

(P.S. Going to bed, can't respond for like eight hours = P )

Dascu

Does anyone here know how I would be able to get a cross-hatching shader effect in Unity 4?

I'm probably gonna end up being so annoying to everyone in here with all the Unity questions I'm going to ask over the coming...forever.

Anyway, I'm trying to get familiar with the design patterns in Unity...it's not quite standard OOP, so it's gonna take some time.

I'm trying right now to create a UI Manager that holds and manages all UI elements. One of those elements is an element that displays five strings in the upper right of the screen (let's just call that element "FiveStrings").

So, I created a GameObject called UIManager, and attached the UIManager.cs script to it. In the script, it creates and adds the FiveStrings component. The FiveStrings component then adds five GUIText components to the UIManager.

But wait! I can't add more than one component of each type to any particular game object. Does this mean I need five completely separate GameObjects for each of the five strings? Seems kind of inefficient.

What's best practices here?

(P.S. Going to bed, can't respond for like eight hours = P )
Is there a reason why you can't just have one GUIText component display several strings of text?

Otherwise, yeah, make several child objects to the main GameObject, I suppose.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Went about putting an IAP in my game tonight. Thought it would be a pain in the arse to code it, but it worked perfectly the first time. Sweet.

GulAtiCa

I'm dreading the moment I have to move to Unity myself :( #soon

It's not all that bad. Mostly dealing with how to make textures not look blurry. Figured that out, just took me a while with the right texture settings, as well as making them larger in general. Also, other issue is just not understanding how Unity is suppose to work, or more importantly, why something happens like it does. My main issue comes from saying "stop doing that!" With Unity, or I should say Orthello framework, changing values. But mostly cause I'm doing it wrong. lol

Once I got past those annoying headaches, I'm starting to enjoy it now. Currently developing my first level for my 2d platformer.

Blizzard

Banned
Everyone answering Feep's questions should make sure to charge a hefty consulting fee, or strike a bargain where their name shows up in the credits eventually. ;p

Kamaki

Well this has been a pretty fun and educational ride for me, the game is complete as it's going to get for my uni hand-in and while the game itself is pretty much trash I'm proud of myself for actually finishing something! Couldn't have done it without Unity PlayMaker either, that add on was worth every penny.

Click the image above to be taken to the final web-player I'll be making for the game! Now I can finally go through the last few pages and try out other gaffers stuff, really want to try out the MGS-like game a page or two back.

Also anyone thinking of entering the Construct 2 competition?

Well this has been a pretty fun and educational ride for me, the game is complete as it's going to get for my uni hand-in and while the game itself is pretty much trash I'm proud of myself for actually finishing something! Couldn't have done it without Unity PlayMaker either, that add on was worth every penny.

Click the image above to be taken to the final web-player I'll be making for the game! Now I can finally go through the last few pages and try out other gaffers stuff, really want to try out the MGS-like game a page or two back.

thinking of entering. just for a W8 device. (Surface Pro plz)

Feep

Banned
Is there a reason why you can't just have one GUIText component display several strings of text?

Otherwise, yeah, make several child objects to the main GameObject, I suppose.
Yeah...the first string and the last string fade in and out, so they need to use a different material/color.

Oh well. I'll try and keep everything nicely parented so that it doesn't clusterfuck up the Hierarchy view during runtime.

JulianImp

Yeah...the first string and the last string fade in and out, so they need to use a different material/color.

Oh well. I'll try and keep everything nicely parented so that it doesn't clusterfuck up the Hierarchy view during runtime.

I'm not sure if this'll be any help, but Unity 4 introduced rich text-like html tags for some stuff. Here's the documentation: http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/StyledText.html

It seems like material changes require using a TextMesh rather than drawing stuff on the OnGUI event, but from your original message I'm not sure if you're using text objects or drawing the text in some component's OnGUI event (it'd work fine on the former, but not on the latter).

That is some amazing music! I also really love the look of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom