• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vard

Fellow GAfers, I need some help.
My game is almost finished and now I'm trying to add some more languages to the game. I already have the game translated to english, portuguese and german.
Now I'm looking for french and spanish. Is there someone here that want to help translate the game to one of this languages? There's isn't much texts, it's mainly buttons, achievements and tutorial texts.

The game is called snails, and I've already posted some info about it here.
I'll just repost a screen grab.
If someone is interested in helping, please PM me. Thanks!!

If you can't get translation help on GAF, you could try http://ackuna.com/ which provides free crowdsourced translations. (I haven't tried it myself but maybe worth a shot) Pretty sure there is a Portugal GAF thread so it might be worth asking in there too, if you haven't yet. Hope that helps.

Kamaki

Incoming large reply!

For Ludum Dare 26 I've made an MGS-styled stealth game, mixed-in with some Metroid DNA.
In a pseudo-abstract world, you have to sneak around, find upgrades to explore the map and progress toward the epic final escape.

Download the game here:
http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-26/?action=preview&uid=5454

It was a lot of fun to make. A nice break from my big project.
This was the mgs-like a saw, tried it out and it was pretty dandy considering the amount of time you spent! You make the graphics yourself? I think I'm going to spend some time this Summer working on my own VR Mission style game.

Something I tinkered with today: raycast shadows in unity free:

shadows.jpg

Webplayer link

Works quite okayish, probably bit too taxing solution and it's not too precise, but at least its fun to look at and play around :)

Got the idea from this blog post, didn't want to look at the code though, most likely his solution is way more elegant than mine, but it wouldn't had been as fun if I had the solution handed to me :) Unity coder is a nice blog btw, loads of cool stuff there for Unity users.
Saw something like this on the asset store, your implementation looks awesome! Just got to come up with a game for it :p Obviously while on the topic of sneaking missions I think you know what you have to do ;).

I put together a little prototype of my player movement:

http://gofreak-ie.appspot.com/

The key problem was having multiple sources of gravity working in Unity.

E.g. each platform has its own gravity field. You can move between them and move objects between them. Like this box in field one...

...pushed over the side into field two, and pulled down by its gravity to that platform:

jYOXJuT.png

My brain has gone a bit silly trying to get this to work. But I'm pretty happy with how it is now though!

Not sure yet about how the player should transition between different gravity fields, though. At the moment you 'auto adjust' your orientation to the new gravity direction. It feels pretty cool but maybe there's other alternatives to be explored.
Tried this out and it's awesome! I actually love how the camera just adjusts itself, feels good. Are you using that FPS camera kit thing from the asset store?

We spent way too much time getting these escaping fireflys just right.
rain_scene.gif
Well worth the time and effort though! Game looks great!

thinking of entering. just for a W8 device. (Surface Pro plz)
Ha yeah, me and my friend want to give it a go as he wants to win a phone! So 1st or 3rd are what we're aiming for. Of course that's if we can even get off our asses and make something.

That is some amazing music! I also really love the look of this.
Thanks, it was some royalty free music I bought from AudioJungle. The moment I heard it I knew I just had to have it :p

Been a little sloppy with my game lately but after playing blood dragon I made an optional, more tv looking filter for my game if you wish to use it :p

2FTXOji.png

Right now you can have zero filters, a basic one with very faint edges or this one which is suppose to look like a tube tv.
Yeahhh! CRT Filters! Love the way it looks. How'd you implement this? Is it some kind of shader? I've been trying to do something similar in Unity and honestly have no idea what I'm doing.

Starting to put together the trailer for my game this weekend. Recorded some good footage. I bet it will take me longer than two days to complete though.

Here is a little gif of my perfect jump timing :p

C5EBdSQ.gif
Would give up, game looks crazy hard! You've got to be careful not to make it to difficult though!

"Why is this so slow"
"That's better"
"Oh god it's every one"
"Shit shit shit"

Congrats!! Animation is very smooth and controls feel great.
31 points first go., but I think I screwed my head over when I did some loops to get my bearings which in turn did the complete opposite of that.
Ha! Since it's going to be displayed at my degree show I wanted it so that people would get a feel for it and then quickly lose, hence the rapid speed increase. I'm actually really impressed you got 31 points on your first go! Thanks for the animation compliments :D

that was fun!
Thanks man!

Hey guys, just as a reminder. Feel free to hop in the Indie thread and tell us about your game if you have something playable or something playable coming up soon:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=551216

Also, someone mentioned an MGS like game being posted here? Can someone link me?
No problem, right here!

Not a lot of new visual updates for Cactus, but we're finishing up the PC, Mac, and Linux versions of our preview build. Feels good man, hopefully we can get some indie sites interested :)

Here's a screenshot of the games first unlockable character, Starch.

Also, our world first preview was done right here on Neogaf :p we sent the game to Toma who wrote up a quick piece in the Indie Games May thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=56921042&postcount=201
This game is looking awesome, great style to it! Would really love to see more.

Loved it! Specially the music :) Did you do everything yourself? If so, amazing! :O
About the contest, I might as well enter... the prizes are juicy :p
Everything but the music sadly, I really can't take credit for that as... well... I didn't make it :p Glad you liked it!

Jobbs

Banned
Has anyone ever played a real core action platforming game (particularly a metroidvania) that uses on screen buttons and actually plays well and works and isn't a barrier to enjoyment? Diablohead's game looks great and if this really could work well I'd possibly be interested in developing towards mobile devices, myself.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Has anyone ever played a real core action platforming game (particularly a metroidvania) that uses on screen buttons and actually plays well and works and isn't a barrier to enjoyment? Diablohead's game looks great and if this really could work well I'd possibly be interested in developing towards mobile devices, myself.

I think opinions on virtual buttons vary wildly. I haven't played a metroidvania on a touch screen, but I've played games like Bastion and League of Evil with no problems at all. People who are into mobile games shouldn't have a problem if the controls are implemented well. I know that recent game 'The Other Brothers' had controls that people really disliked, so it would be wise to do a lot of testing before release with people who have played a lot of touch games.
I think your game would be popular if it came to iOS, in my opinion. Have to support a lot of different resolutions though.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Looking neat.

Honest question, why arent people posting these over in the Indie Games thread? People dont know the GAF Indie thread exists? Come over if you have something playable to show or something coming up soon! We wont bite.

Edit: And since its programming related to Indie Games: I am currently working on an (Indie) Games and Impressions Database (currently only with the games we use in the threads) and could use some more testers:

Full information here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=57495778&postcount=364

Blizzard

Banned
Looking neat.

Honest question, why arent people posting these over in the Indie Games thread? People dont know the GAF Indie thread exists? Come over if you have something playable to show or something coming up soon! We wont bite.

Edit: And since its programming related to Indie Games: I am currently working on an (Indie) Games and Impressions Database (currently only with the games we use in the threads) and could use some more testers:

Full information here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=57495778&postcount=364
Suggestion: Make the scale go up to 10. 5/5 doesn't provide much granularity and you end up with a weird Metacritic situation with 5/5 vs 10/10 scales.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Tried this out and it's awesome! I actually love how the camera just adjusts itself, feels good. Are you using that FPS camera kit thing from the asset store?

Thanks for trying it! :)

And yes, I'm using the Ultimate FPS Camera tool...or at least a modified version. It's a really great tool, I can believe when they say they've put 1000+ man-hours into it.

It kind of comes down to the person also I feel, some people like myself can get on really well with touch buttons but then I have friends who hate trying to play with more then tilt and touch to jump.

Back in the early days of iOS, Bounce On was a great platformer which did some real simple but powerful controls, you tilted the device to roll sideways and then tap anywhere to hop, it's a control scheme I want to squeeze into my game also but not right now, it will come once the base game is complete.

My controls look quite complex but really, the dpad only moves left and right with big hit boxes, the jump button is 3 times that size to touch and the end button is now a slidey stick thing to aim shots with, I hope a lot of people can get to grips with it without too much trouble.

Also my game has slightly lighter gravity for jumps and automatic ledge grabbing, should take away a lot of movement stress.

I hope to have a build of my game up for testing by the end of next month for those who have iOS devices, A4 chip and up (the 3gs may run like a snail as I have not had a model to test on)

missile

ZONE_Z1.PT-ff_0x1332ad1.gif

Board Computer, BDC

I made some good progress lately, spending the nights coding stuff. Well, I've
now implemented a command structure and an executing environment into the
craft's firmware running on the BDC. Commands can have parameters and all sorts
of stuff. The executing environment builds an argument structure before
executing any command, like it is done in many operating systems. Arguments
can then be accessed via argc and argv from the environment, similar like you
do from within main(int argc, char **argv), etc.

For the sake of simplicity all functions are currently implemented within the
firmware, no loading from any other sources yet. However, I plan to make it
possible to load code from many different sources. Perhaps you will be able to
load code from the internet straight into your craft, from some of your
friends, from a possible clan-server, whatever.

For the time being, I just implemented some basic functions to tinker around
with, like peek and poke. Just see. ;)

Later the craft will be controlled via these commands. You will be able to map
your inputs, buttons, as well as in-game buttons etc. to commands, to set the
craft in motion, or to operate various units like for example VRO.

Well, next I'm going to make the command structure and the exec environment a
little bit more flexible and robust in building, for example, a somewhat
richer environment and a key binding mechanism for allowing you to operate the
craft more efficiently and quickly. After that I will spend some time with VRO
in generating more sophisticated geometry around the craft and displaying it
on the BDC's screen.

I like that sh!t. :D

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Suggestion: Make the scale go up to 10. 5/5 doesn't provide much granularity and you end up with a weird Metacritic situation with 5/5 vs 10/10 scales.

We actually decided on not using the 10 scale because its easier and fairer to judge games by feeling than full rating. Besides, no one effectively uses the 1-5 in the same manner they use 6-10 anyway, so why even bother including them. I agree though that this is a difficult issue, and my other part of the program actually uses a 10 scale, but eh. Currently, works fine the way it does atm, since it gets the point across and there is no way to enter 10 point scores anyway, so I dont see how that would be a Metacritic sitauation. Also,we should discuss things like that in the Indie thread :p

missile

Well, Toma, you invest kind of some work into the Indie thread. And I like
that. Good job in making people aware!

But, personally, I don't need any rating. I never bought any game on any
rating for decades. I never looked at any of those numbers, never. For me
it's a useless concept. And I don't even want my game to get rated. But what
I like is reading about impressions, impressions which cannot be measured on
any scale.

Hofmann

Well, Toma, you invest kind of some work into the Indie thread. And I like
that. Good job in making people aware!

But, personally, I don't need any rating. I never bought any game on any
rating for decades. I never looked at any of those numbers, never. For me
it's a useless concept. And I don't even want my game to get rated. But what
I like is reading about impressions, impressions which cannot be measured on
any scale.

I don't really care for numbers, but thanks to those ratings you'll be able to find games similar to your tastes, well in theory - that's one of the reasons why we need more testers.
And the program collects impressions as well, with an easy way to find them.

missile

I don't really care for numbers, but thanks to those ratings you'll be able to find games similar to your tastes, well in theory - that's one of the reasons why we need more testers.
And the program collects impressions as well, with an easy way to find them.
I would put emphasis on impressions and skip the numbers. ;)

missile

^ Hehe, possible. I was thinking about rating in general. Locking at the
magazines and how they rate games and what confusion, fuzz, biases they
produce makes the process very questionable. I can understand the argument of
finding similar games of interest due to rating. But the process of mapping an
n-dimensional function to one is not a good one in my book judging games, esp.
when considering the inverse. What does a rating of 5 or 10 really mean, for
me? I don't know....

razu

ZONE_Z1.PT-ff_0x1332ad1.gif

Board Computer, BDC

I made some good progress lately, spending the nights coding stuff. Well, I've
now implemented a command structure and an executing environment into the
craft's firmware running on the BDC. Commands can have parameters and all sorts
of stuff. The executing environment builds an argument structure before
executing any command, like it is done in many operating systems. Arguments
can then be accessed via argc and argv from the environment, similar like you
do from within main(int argc, char **argv), etc.

For the sake of simplicity all functions are currently implemented within the
firmware, no loading from any other sources yet. However, I plan to make it
possible to load code from many different sources. Perhaps you will be able to
load code from the internet straight into your craft, from some of your
friends, from a possible clan-server, whatever.

For the time being, I just implemented some basic functions to tinker around
with, like peek and poke. Just see. ;)

Later the craft will be controlled via these commands. You will be able to map
your inputs, buttons, as well as in-game buttons etc. to commands, to set the
craft in motion, or to operate various units like for example VRO.

Well, next I'm going to make the command structure and the exec environment a
little bit more flexible and robust in building, for example, a somewhat
richer environment and a key binding mechanism for allowing you to operate the
craft more efficiently and quickly. After that I will spend some time with VRO
in generating more sophisticated geometry around the craft and displaying it
on the BDC's screen.

I like that sh!t. :D

You continue to amaze.. :D

Missile, your tech is pretty damn groovy, keep up the epic work!

Anyone here know someone who takes 3D low poly character model commissions?
Would prefer someone in Japan since the value of the yen just took a nasty hit but I'll hear anyone out.

Jobbs

Banned
Jobbs that game looks super moody already, awesome work man! I just want to see how it moves now :D

Hilariously, I can't figure out how to properly take a video and make the quality/framerate look good.. but I did screen record a quick bit of the game playing in a flash window. The game is running at 60 fps on my pc, the stuttering is just from my own inability to figure out how to take a good quality video.

This is a demonstration of the ionic blast weapon. You'll see me go up against some "zombies" (I call them mutants, though) including a bruiser which is a tougher mutant who blasts spines all over the place from his back. The game already has many enemies in it, and ultimately will have about 20, along with several bosses and mini bosses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1ywDZvJ3tY

The ghost dash move takes you away from solid matter during its duration. So it's not just a movement skill, it's also an evasive skill, note how I dash straight through the bruiser.

Aside from various moves/powers, the game has a lot of different weapons.

1) regular cannon (the basic gun, the ammo recharges if you haven't fired in a few seconds. you can upgrade this many times and the bullet gets bigger as you do. it can also critically hit. Finally, you can get a charge burst upgrade to charge it up and unleash a huge blast)

The rest are "special weapons" which all use special ammo which does not recharge on its own.

2) ionic blast (in this video -- it's an all purpose blast gained early in the game, with bonus damage to mechanical -- the organics I use it on clearly aren't devastated by it)

3) scatter bomb (you lob little bombs that fire bullets in a spray as they bounce about, and then explode)

4) banshee scream (room clearing move, high ammo cost)

5) railshot (uber gun, pierces through everything, obtainable late in the game)

My design philosophy is to reward exploration and hunch following. There are MANY missable things in this game, and ALL of the special weapons are missable. There are moves that are required to progress (e.g., high jump so you can jump to new places, etc) but the alternate weapons are all optional finds, some of which are much more hidden than others.

A formative experience for me as a novice designer was the part in Dark Souls where you
find a chest inside of a hollow tree, and behind a fake wall, there's another chest. And then ANOTHER fake wall, and behind that, a whole new world with new things to find and new sights to see.
My game has something similar in it, where one of the richest experiences in the game is similarly hidden.

It's incredibly obvious on the surface that the game looks like Metroid. What's less obvious at a glance is all of the Dark Souls influence in it..

Paz

Hilariously, I can't figure out how to properly take a video and make the quality/framerate look good.. but I did screen record a quick bit of the game playing in a flash window. The game is running at 60 fps on my pc, the stuttering is just from my own inability to figure out how to take a good quality video.

Youtube doesn't support 60fps but I like to author all my videos at 60 anyway (and offer a high res/fps download link, as I have for the trailer on our website). Best way I've found is to capture at 60 using FRAPS and then render that file out through virtual dub with a codec like xvid. I'm not sure what Youtube does to a 60fps file when you upload it so you might be better off doing a second render out at 30fps through virtual dub and uploading that to avoid bad stuttering.

This is a demonstration of the ionic blast weapon. You'll see me go up against some "zombies" (I call them mutants, though) including a bruiser which is a tougher mutant who blasts spines all over the place from his back. The game already has many enemies in it, and ultimately will have about 20, along with several bosses and mini bosses.

The ghost dash move takes you away from solid matter during its duration. So it's not just a movement skill, it's also an evasive skill, note how I dash straight through the bruiser.

Aside from various moves/powers, the game has a lot of different weapons.

1) regular cannon (the basic gun, the ammo recharges if you haven't fired in a few seconds. you can upgrade this many times and the bullet gets bigger as you do. it can also critically hit. Finally, you can get a charge burst upgrade to charge it up and unleash a huge blast)

The rest are "special weapons" which all use special ammo which does not recharge on its own.

2) ionic blast (in this video -- it's an all purpose blast gained early in the game, with bonus damage to mechanical -- the organics I use it on clearly aren't devastated by it)

3) scatter bomb (you lob little bombs that fire bullets in a spray as they bounce about, and then explode)

4) banshee scream (room clearing move, high ammo cost)

5) railshot (uber gun, pierces through everything, obtainable late in the game)

My design philosophy is to reward exploration and hunch following. There are MANY missable things in this game, and ALL of the special weapons are missable. There are moves that are required to progress (e.g., high jump so you can jump to new places, etc) but the alternate weapons are all optional finds, some of which are much more hidden than others.

A formative experience for me as a novice designer was the part in Dark Souls where you
find a chest inside of a hollow tree, and behind a fake wall, there's another chest. And then ANOTHER fake wall, and behind that, a whole new world with new things to find and new sights to see.
My game has something similar in it, where one of the richest experiences in the game is similarly hidden.

It's incredibly obvious on the surface that the game looks like Metroid. What's less obvious at a glance is all of the Dark Souls influence in it..

Mate this looks amazing, I love the cloth on the character and how it sways/falls. Awesome work.

What's interesting here is how Dark Souls feels somewhat inspired by games like Metroid where you have a cohesive world but then it brings its own flavour like you said, now you are trying to combine the best of both. The weapons sound pretty pretty cool too but I really hope you give them all enough utility and identity that even when you have the end game weapon you still want to switch it out to take on some scenarios.

Thanks for sharing this, I guess next time it's my turn to share something cool :D

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Very cool to see a lot of the work going on in here.

Wanted to let people know that PikPok is on the lookout for more smaller teams/titles to be working with for publishing later this year on iOS/Android and/or PC/Mac. We like to think of ourselves as a developer's publisher have come from that background ourselves, so won't even ask to own the IP and having a rev split in the devs favour amongst other things. Really interested in helping titles be the best they can be and help them achieve commercial success (for those seeking that). More details here if you are interested http://pikpok.com/submissions/ or send me a PM.

I'm also working on a more altruistic mobile promotional package for GAF indie developers which will operate in more of a pay it forward manner (I mentioned this many months ago, essentially just PikPok gifting some of our promotional bandwidth). Still working out the details/process, but once we are past our next big mobile release this week I should be able to nail things down. Will post about that in June.

Jobbs

Banned
Mate this looks amazing, I love the cloth on the character and how it sways/falls. Awesome work.

What's interesting here is how Dark Souls feels somewhat inspired by games like Metroid where you have a cohesive world but then it brings its own flavour like you said, now you are trying to combine the best of both. The weapons sound pretty pretty cool too but I really hope you give them all enough utility and identity that even when you have the end game weapon you still want to switch it out to take on some scenarios.

Thanks for sharing this, I guess next time it's my turn to share something cool :D

thanks. it's definitely a balancing act, but another thing I learned from dark souls is that sometimes it's just neat to have a bit of variety/flavor even if it's not necessarily the dominant weapon. The scatter bomb and banshee scream are definitely niche/situational. Ionic blast is general purpose, if you need a bit more firepower in the early/mid game. The railgun is overpowering by comparison but isn't obtainable until late in the game.

The idea is that the main gun is all you really need if you find enough upgrades for it. It goes through quite a power curve -- Weak pea shooter initially, but if you are good about finding the upgrades, it's quite strong sooner or later.

missile

You continue to amaze.. :D
Missile, your tech is pretty damn groovy, keep up the epic work! ...
Thx guys.

Odd is, I (we all) have to watch ZONE from the BDCs screen for now. But one
day the camera will pull back and it will come all over you. The output of VRO
on the BDCs screen is just a rough approximation. I imagine the plot of the
trailer for ZONE as follows; You are just seeing the BDC booting up the craft
while also hearing the units starting up. And then, when everything is at a
go, the camera pulls back from the BDCs screen showing [the awesomeness]
while sending you straight into the ZONE!

Hopefully, I can make it that far. Still a long way to go.

Just focusing solely on the BDC helps me a lot, since I have to eat my own
own code on my own system. And the system is only as flexible as I have
programmed it before. I remember reading about Bill Gates in the early days
of Microsoft. Bill forced his developers to always use their latest
development tools to develop the next version for it no matter how buggy the
latest (internal) release were. This forced the developers to eat their own
code making it much better in the process - which has made the development
tools of Microsoft stood out - at least back in the days.

... Anyone here know someone who takes 3D low poly character model commissions?

Am also looking for someone who can model sophisticated high-polygonal as
well as very low-polygonal crafts, one who is dedicated and driven designing
speedcrafts with an unrivaled attention to detail. Style: bladed, rough,
engineered.

missile

... The game is running at 60 fps on my pc, the stuttering is just from my own inability to figure out how to take a good quality video. ...
You may disable the Windows 7 theme and it may solve all your shuttering
issues. The Windows 7 themes are eating frames alive! Just use a basic one.

Cool stuff!

Edit:
Very cool to see a lot of the work going on in here.

Wanted to let people know that PikPok is on the lookout for more smaller teams/titles to be working with for publishing later this year on iOS/Android and/or PC/Mac. We like to think of ourselves as a developer's publisher have come from that background ourselves, so won't even ask to own the IP and having a rev split in the devs favour amongst other things. Really interested in helping titles be the best they can be and help them achieve commercial success (for those seeking that). More details here if you are interested http://pikpok.com/submissions/ or send me a PM.

I'm also working on a more altruistic mobile promotional package for GAF indie developers which will operate in more of a pay it forward manner (I mentioned this many months ago, essentially just PikPok gifting some of our promotional bandwidth). Still working out the details/process, but once we are past our next big mobile release this week I should be able to nail things down. Will post about that in June.
Props for making such an offering. :+

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Wow that looks fantastic. Really like the dash animation and blur.

As for recording I'd suggest using OBS and trying a game capture (I think it will work on Flash). It'll output straight to a good quality small file size .MP4 without any fuss.
If game capture doesn't work (Might need to run 32 bit version) then do a straight screen capture of your window.

Encoding (Depends on CPU, but try): Quality 10, 3000 bitrate (Since it's a small window)
Broadcast Settings : File Output
Advanced : x264 CPU Preset = superfast or veryfast

That should work without issue.

Jobbs

Banned
Wow that looks fantastic. Really like the dash animation and blur.

As for recording I'd suggest using OBS and trying a game capture (I think it will work on Flash). It'll output straight to a good quality small file size .MP4 without any fuss.
If game capture doesn't work (Might need to run 32 bit version) then do a straight screen capture of your window.

Encoding (Depends on CPU, but try): Quality 10, 3000 bitrate (Since it's a small window)
Broadcast Settings : File Output
Advanced : x264 CPU Preset = superfast or veryfast

That should work without issue.

Nice link. It's definitely working better than anything I've tried so far. Using this software, I managed to make a little video introducing the game a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-qul0R60Gg

The quality still isn't as good as I'd like, but if you set it to 480p it's sorta okay. The actual game, running in person, is pretty sharp, and I wish I could show that better.

Some of the graphics/sounds are still not final. The game's about half done.

MrOddbird

Neo Member
So I just tested a Google Analytics tool with Unity3D.
There are many game analytics tools for Unity, but most of them are commercials. So after a few minutes of surfing the web I found a few rather nice scripts.

I tested a few of them and they are pretty easy to use! Now I can track some particular events, like when a player comes to a new area or finds a very secret item.

These will come really handy, when I want to monitor how people are doing in the game.

Raide

Nice link. It's definitely working better than anything I've tried so far. Using this software, I managed to make a little video introducing the game a bit.

The quality still isn't as good as I'd like, but if you set it to 480p it's sorta okay. The actual game, running in person, is pretty sharp, and I wish I could show that better.

Getting a good Turrican vibe from this.

Keep up the good work.

asa

Looks very good and promising, I'm getting Metroid and Another world vibes! That dash thing looks really fun as a game mechanic, gives a nice additional layer to the gameplay. Definitely bookmarking this.

And about the monetizing, I wouldn't think about it too much. Just finish the game first. There's definitely a userbase for Metroidvania type of games, and this looks really quality stuff already, i would think getting this greenlighted in Steam for instance would be quite doable.

So I just tested a Google Analytics tool with Unity3D.
There are many game analytics tools for Unity, but most of them are commercials. So after a few minutes of surfing the web I found a few rather nice scripts.

I tested a few of them and they are pretty easy to use! Now I can track some particular events, like when a player comes to a new area or finds a very secret item.

These will come really handy, when I want to monitor how people are doing in the game.

Any links to the scripts? They will be of use to someone her for sure.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

:D

Some comments on recording:
+ Equalize the volume as best as you can between what you want as game audio and commentary. (I'd move your mic farther away from your mouth and lower your MIC VOLUME (not recording level of the mic) so you get less pop on harsh words.
Most people like their voices higher than game volume. You can set recording of audio to 192kbps on AAC as well if you haven't raised it.

+ It'll capture whatever resolution you set it at, 720p or even 1080 isn't very demanding with a superfast preset so you can go ahead and record that. It should come out under 50MB a minute which is pretty small.

On the game: It's looking really nice, the only thing that stood out to me was that the walking sound of 'plodding' was harsh on my ears. Hoping to see more :)

Jobbs

Banned
:D

Some comments on recording:
+ Equalize the volume as best as you can between what you want as game audio and commentary. (I'd move your mic farther away from your mouth and lower your MIC VOLUME (not recording level of the mic) so you get less pop on harsh words.
Most people like their voices higher than game volume. You can set recording of audio to 192kbps on AAC as well if you haven't raised it.

+ It'll capture whatever resolution you set it at, 720p or even 1080 isn't very demanding with a superfast preset so you can go ahead and record that. It should come out under 50MB a minute which is pretty small.

On the game: It's looking really nice, the only thing that stood out to me was that the walking sound of 'plodding' was harsh on my ears. Hoping to see more :)

thanks for the tips... and the sounds are stand ins I whipped up myself, most/all of them will not be in the game... I have an audio guy who is going to do the real audio for it later on.

DocSeuss

Welp, I made a level in Unity. Doesn't DO anything, but I managed to figure out how to add collision volumes to models, make skyboxes, do water, use Probuilder3D, tweak Progrids, and, generally, make a working THING.

Progress.

It's slow, but I DID some.

Am also looking for someone who can model sophisticated high-polygonal as
well as very low-polygonal crafts, one who is dedicated and driven designing
speedcrafts with an unrivaled attention to detail. Style: bladed, rough,
engineered.

A simple "no" would have sufficed. ^^;;
Hopefully the MMD forum model makers will have interested party.

Feep

Banned
This technically isn't off-topic, so I thought I'd share some of my casting experiences today.

Actors are a strange bunch. Video games are the "entertainment industry", but they don't really intersect with Hollywood much, except with regard to voice acting. It's a completely separate process.

You can get a casting director (and you'd need to, if you wanted good voice acting and didn't live in LA), but they're pretty expensive. Because There Came an Echo is SAG-AFTRA, I was able to go ahead and rent out some space and bring in actors over a two day span. I didn't know who to go out to, really, so I spammed some well-known agencies (Abrams Artists, Vox, SBV) and got some good responses. It turns out most actors are willing to work for scale +10% ($880/day)...the only ones I couldn't really grab for that were, like, Troy Baker, Jennifer Hale, Tara Strong, and a few others.

Having actors read anything you wrote is a scary experience, and it's often not at all like you imagined it. But shoehorning in exactly what you had in mind means sometimes missing an amazing performance, so I really had my mind changed today on a couple characters. I was able to simply listen...I brought in one friend to record the performances on a mic, and another to read the scenes with the actors.

Everyone is generally polite, but there are a few diva-types. I couldn't dismiss them out of hand, but I would try to wrap the session up as quickly as possible. Others I just didn't want to leave the room because they were so nice. And as much as that shouldn't matter, it does. I'm gonna have to work with these people, and if we don't get along, it's a non-starter for me. So be nice, actors! :O

In the end, I got some pretty amazing names to read for me...Laura Bailey, Yuri Lowenthal, Tara Platt, a few others. They aren't just big names...they're talented as hell. Gonna have to make some tough decisions as I listen to them all back and eliminate files one-by-one, but I'm really excited. = D

pixelpai

Neo Member

whoa, this looks great... i really like the atmosphere, which may not least be up to the great graphics.

pretty slick

Because There Came an Echo is SAG-AFTRA

That's ambitious. The only time I ever tried to work with SAG-AFTRA, it went rather horribly. It wasn't video games, mind you. You can't have a mixed cast, some non-SAG, some SAG. At the end of the day, I needed to do what was right for the project.

pixelpai

Neo Member
here is a little gif (my first attempt in gif-creation) of my project "pixelAI" in action. it shows the moment the timer reaches zero as the player made too many mistakes and the game-over overlay fades in.

each individual rectangle of the play-field gets converted into a physic-sensible game-object (i use box2d). then an impluse on the play-field causes the "explosion".

psy_gameover.gif

@pixelplant_ios

JulianImp

here is a little gif (my first attempt in gif-creation) of my project "pixelAI" in action. it shows the moment the timer reaches zero as the player made too many mistakes and the game-over overlay fades in.

each individual rectangle of the play-field gets converted into a physic-sensible game-object (i use box2d). then an impluse on the play-field causes the "explosion".

psy_gameover.gif

@pixelplant_ios

Wow, that's some fun-looking feedback you've got there! Despite having failed, it still shows players something amusing, which is really cool.

Fox1304

psy_gameover.gif

@pixelplant_ios

Totally love it. Great idea and execution.

GulAtiCa

I'm getting to the point where I can finally start designing the first level in my test Unity game (2D Platformer). The fish are suppose to be like coins, think I might actually turn them into coins (with fish symbol) to make it more clear. Not sure what I'll do with the fish coins yet. Might just make them simple 100-life thing like mario or use them like ammo for abilities/etc. I'll prob make a lighter version of the clouds as well.

pixelpai

Neo Member
new page quote:

Totally love it. Great idea and execution.

Wow, that's some fun-looking feedback you've got there! Despite having failed, it still shows players something amusing, which is really cool.

thanks..

another little tidbit regarding the game-over screen: if the player tilts the ipad to the left or right (currently the game is running on ipad only), those little bricks will tumble in the same direction. on the bottom and right-side there are invisible walls to hinder the bricks from leaving the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom