• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [October] Now Voting - Post 1253!

How does your PC handle other UE3 games? It's pretty simple graphically, so if you can run similar FPSes you should be fine.
Not sure what other UE3 engine games I have. Only one I can think of is The Ball. Tried the demo, could run pretty nicely on Medium settings

Edit: yeah that's literally the only UE3 PC game I've tried. I really need to get Antichamber

Not sure what other UE3 engine games I have. Only one I can think of is The Ball. Tried the demo, could run pretty nicely on Medium settings

Edit: yeah that's literally the only UE3 PC game I've tried. I really need to get Antichamber

I think you'd be okay. The only possible problem is that it doesn't have graphics options yet (unless there's some way to do it through a config file) so there's no way to scale it down.

Anyone here who likes GOOD 2D puzzle platformers and is willing to play through an 6-8 hour game within the next 3-4 days and write impressions on his experience? Not just at the end, but like play a bit, post what you think, play some more, see whether the game fits your expectations etc. You are not required to like it or write GOOD things about it, but I like the game so much that I am willing to pay the 5$ for the game for ~4 people if the OT of Full Bore will get bumped some more. The basic idea is of course to help the thread staying afloat, and since it costs me a bit, I'd appreciate if you only "apply" if you can post about your impressions and play more than just an hour. It would be cool if you could still write a general post afterwards in the monthly Indie thread of October to share your overall impressions here as well once you got a good idea of the game, but one post is enough here (while the Full Bore thread needs multiple bumps as long as the sale is still going on).

If you are interested, quote this post. I will not necessarily pick the first 4 quotes, so feel free to mention you are interested, even this post has already been quoted 4 times. I will see about that tomorrow depending on how many people and who are interested.

I'm interested. I was aware of this before, but what has me particularly intrigued are the comments about the "sprawling" and "expansive" open world to explore. I especially liked the sound of this:

What this game is really good at, is letting the player explore at his own leisure, even if that means the player ignores some passages that might be solvable, only to return there 3 hours later to notice that this part wasnt unsolvable and you could have done that 5 minutes after the game starts, all the while making you feel awesome about solving the puzzle [...] Didnt even notice its a puzzle when I first passed it right at the beginning. This game is so good.

...and:

This means that the ability to explore is based primarily on what the player has learned about the world, and not a sequence of arbitrary goals.

Reading that, my question is: just how flexible is the game in terms of reaching its conclusion? I'm getting the impression, Toma, that if you pick 4 different people to play through this they could potentially have very different experiences. Is that a fair assessment? Do you need to complete every puzzle in order to finish the game? Is it possible to bypass entire areas (a la Dark Souls)?

daydream

Banned
Went back and tried the last few September games I wanted to check out:

Postmortem: This one was very mysterious, in a good way. I went through a lot of the interactions, but I still feel like I missed something, some piece of the puzzle. I don't expect there to be a clear solution to the conflict that is presented, but there's definitely dialogue and information you can miss. Pretty cool! Maybe I'll get the enhanced package.

Assault Android Cactus: Definitely a solid twin-stick shooter, but maybe not more than that. I'll definitely go through the rest of the levels, but it didn't blow me away so far. I really dislike how long it takes to switch between weapons. And sometimes I feel like my character is picking up a battery just in the nick of time time, only to get a game over regardless.

DeioS: I'm not..I don't... Well. It was everything and nothing what I expected. The mashup of art styles, fonts, music and missing sound effects, ersatz philosophy - it was intriguing, to say the least. Not sure if this needs a "full" release, but I'll be there to witness it.

Lilly Looking Through: Someone mentioned the similarities between this and Botanicula. I didn't enjoy this one (the demo, rather) quite as much, though. The second puzzle, for example, was clever, but also required some trial and error. Watching the slow animations over and over again didn't help. The character models felt off. They looked half-finished, which was surprising, considering the effort that went into the backgrounds. That said, the end of the demo was well done. I might come back to this to see what they do with their 'looking through'-mechanic.

Finding Teddy: This is Fez all over again, isn't it? Love the way this looks and sounds. The puzzles are kinda simplistic, of course, but they're worth going after just to see the animations and the dark humour. Anyway, the demo sold me on the game which is apparently coming out next week. I'll be there to crack the musical code.

-----------

This post is really out of date, sorry. Next time I'll talk about October games, I promise.

Went back and tried the last few September games I wanted to check out:

Postmortem: This one was very mysterious, in a good way. I went through a lot of the interactions, but I still feel like I missed something, some piece of the puzzle. I don't expect there to be a clear solution to the conflict that is presented, but there's definitely dialogue and information you can miss. Pretty cool! Maybe I'll get the enhanced package.

Assault Android Cactus: Definitely a solid twin-stick shooter, but maybe not more than that. I'll definitely go through the rest of the levels, but it didn't blow me away so far. I really dislike how long it takes to switch between weapons. And sometimes I feel like my character is picking up a battery just in the nick of time time, only to get a game over regardless.

DeioS: I'm not..I don't... Well. It was everything and nothing what I expected. The mashup of art styles, fonts, music and missing sound effects, ersatz philosophy - it was intriguing, to say the least. Not sure if this needs a "full" release, but I'll be there to witness it.

Lilly Looking Through: Someone mentioned the similarities between this and Botanicula. I didn't enjoy this one (the demo, rather) quite as much, though. The second puzzle, for example, was clever, but also required some trial and error. Watching the slow animations over and over again didn't help. The character models felt off. They looked half-finished, which was surprising, considering the effort that went into the backgrounds. That said, the end of the demo was well done. I might come back to this to see what they do with their 'looking through'-mechanic.

Finding Teddy: This is Fez all over again, isn't it? Love the way this looks and sounds. The puzzles are kinda simplistic, of course, but they're worth going after just to see the animations and the dark humour. Anyway, the demo sold me on the game which is apparently coming out next week. I'll be there to crack the musical code.

-----------

This post is really out of date, sorry. Next time I'll talk about October games, I promise.
No need to apologize. Discussion isn't limited to games from the current month, in fact it's great to play and mention games from older threads so they aren't forgotten. We even have a tradition, Wayback Wednesday, in which we play and post impression of games from past threads that we may have missed or overlooked

Edit: and I just realized that it was Wednesday. Oops, I'll post my belated Wayback post later

I think you'd be okay. The only possible problem is that it doesn't have graphics options yet (unless there's some way to do it through a config file) so there's no way to scale it down.
And to my great surprise, the game runs pretty smoothly. I haven't had crazy amounts of projectiles on the screen yet so things might change but right now Tower of Guns runs really well for me. And it should get even better once more optimization is done

From the few minutes that I survived, this game is awesome. Mix a twitchy FPS, a roguelike, and bullet hell in a steampunk blender and you get Tower of Guns. Fast, frantic, challenging, and just plain fun.

Had a bit of a go on that Full Bore game and that is probably my favourite game where the protagonist is a wild boar.
iTUKMr30GrBwB.gif

Yay!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Had a bit of a go on that Full Bore game and that is probably my favourite game where the protagonist is a wild boar.
Easily trumps all the other wild boar games, I definitely agree.

wow those notonsteam sales are great! i get great games at a discounted price and a steam key too ? that's so good.

i just bought those games

tiny barbarian

inescapable

aces wild

miniflake

blood of the werewolf

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
puzzle games aren't my thing really

Too bad, but would you mind sharing your initial impressions on some of these games before the sale runs out? Someone was interested in Inescapable earlier.

Toma

Reading that, my question is: just how flexible is the game in terms of reaching its conclusion? I'm getting the impression, Toma, that if you pick 4 different people to play through this they could potentially have very different experiences. Is that a fair assessment? Do you need to complete every puzzle in order to finish the game? Is it possible to bypass entire areas (a la Dark Souls)?

Its not an "open world" per se, as you have loading screens between each area, but you are free to tackle the game in almost any order, which is a very satisfying experience, especially considering there are so many hidden areas that constantly reward the player. But yeah, players could have a pretty different experience, a friend of mine immediately stumbled over the one area in which to progress the story, so he "missed" 3-4 hours of content that I did before. You can return back to these areas however, and I am pretty sure you somehow need to do that to finish the game later, but not sure to which extend you'll need to find everything. So far I did bypass entire areas however if I didnt feel like dealing with a certain puzzle now, so that is certainly possible.

Nabs

Early Audiosurf 2 impressions:

It's early access, so it's still rough around the edges. The UI seems to be placeholder, and the main menu lacks controller support for now. The game is built in Unity and runs really well. I think I get around 160fps in game. The new Wakeboard (Air) mode is surprisingly fun and works well with a 360 controller. I haven't had much time with the legacy modes (mono, pusher, dv), but they didn't seem good as the original AS versions. It's definitely worth wishlisting to see how it develops from here. I'll keep you guys updated.

Toma

Early Audiosurf 2 impressions:

It's early access, so it's still rough around the edges. The UI seems to be placeholder, and the main menu lacks controller support for now. The game is built in Unity and runs really well. I think I get around 160fps in game. The new Wakeboard (Air) mode is surprisingly fun and works well with a 360 controller. I haven't had much time with the legacy modes (mono, pusher, dv), but they didn't seem good as the original AS versions. It's definitely worth wishlisting to see how it develops from here. I'll keep you guys updated.

I think my money was better spent in gifting Full Bore to 7 or so people for now. I'll probably check back with Audiosurf when its released and has some more modes.

I think my money was better spent in gifting Full Bore to 7 or so people for now. I'll probably check back with Audiosurf when its released and has some more modes.
Agreed. I was anticipating Audiosurf 2 but my money will be better spent on Claire and Teslagrad

And Tower of Guns....amazing

Tower of Guns impressions;
Some games can be neatly categorized into a genre. Others encompass so many elements that a single genre can't contain them. Tower of Guns is one of the latter. Mix a twitchy FPS, a roguelike, and some bullet hell in a steampunk blender and you'd get the wild frenetic Tower of Guns.

Pick your gun, pick your perk, and go. Skills and reflexes are your only allies once you enter the fast frantic world of Tower of Guns. Blowing away enemies drops health and weapons upgrades; getting hurt not only damages you but also reduces the level of your weapon. Evasion and quick aiming is key to survival.

And you'll need every extra weapon boost, mod, power up, item, and as much loot as you can acquire to survive the chaotic onslaught that awaits you within the titular Tower. Each playthrough offers randomized levels and enemies to blast away and the chaos only increases with each room. Dozens of bullets, ricocheting saw blades, cannon balls, hovering drones, rolling spiked balls, and more relentlessly attack en masse. Luckily with the right perks and power ups, you can be a triple jumping badass wielding a mine throwing shotgun who doesn't take fall damage. Enough to survive? Maybe...

Tower of Guns is still in alpha, just over 50% completed, but the current version is still very much worth a purchase. It's fast, frantic, and just wild fun. You can buy Tower of Guns here or vote for the game on Steam Greenlight.

wow those notonsteam sales are great! i get great games at a discounted price and a steam key too ? that's so good.

i just bought those games

tiny barbarian

inescapable

aces wild

miniflake

blood of the werewolf

If you can, I want to know how Aces Wild is like to play, cause it looks great to watch.

Got you covered:
http://indiegameenthusiast.blogspot.com/2013/09/pc-spotlight-7-aces-wild_5.html

Attacking enemies builds up your Wild meter which allows you to charge up your destructive, enemy-pinballing super attacks or perform a space clearing move that heals you, but the more Wild you have, the more powerful enemies become.

So the Wild meter also works as an aggro, that's cool.

Did not know it had local co-op, my friends (especially the DBZ fans) would love this!

EDIT: Bought :D

Toma, I may have missed your impressions in the last month on Sokobond but have you played it? Has the obvious Sokoban feel but also reminds me of SpaceChem for obvious reasons. Looks like something I'll purchase during this NOS sale

Toma

Toma, I may have missed your impressions in the last month on Sokobond but have you played it? Has the obvious Sokoban feel but also reminds me of SpaceChem for obvious reasons. Looks like something I'll purchase during this NOS sale

I was and still am really tempted, but I cant justify 7$ for a sokoban style game right now, especially with way, way more impressive games like Full Bore being only $5 at the moment.

Edit: I am not saying that Sokobond looks to be a bad game, I just cant see a better value in it than plenty of other Indies for the same price.

Toma

Thanks! This is a great help.

I was and still am really tempted, but I cant justify 7$ for a sokoban style game right now, especially with way, way more impressive games like Full Bore being only $5 at the moment.

Edit: I am not saying that Sokobond looks to be a bad game, I just cant see a better value in it than plenty of other Indies for the same price.
Yeah totally understandable

Aces Wild and Full Bore are now on the IGS Store. (although Wild isn't discounted)

Good to see that they're growing their library with quality indies compared to...cough Shinyloot cough...

Should I be as excited about The Note as I am right now that I'm getting it? I always look longingly at the Indie threads and because I'm short on time, I make lists and never get around to them, but this one seems irresistible.

Hofmann

Indie Statik's impressions for the Time Frame, one of the games featured this month, sharing a similar concept with SuperHot: http://indiestatik.com/2013/10/02/experience-the-last-10-seconds-of-a-beauteous-world-in-10-minutes-timeframe/

I've been postponing it for far too long, waiting for a right mood to play it.

That reminds me I still need to find a game I heard of few years ago (5 or 6 maybe), where the world around the player reveals itself when slowing down movement - it was probably meant to be some kind of poetic experience. I really wish I could find it, no luck so far - even Toma couldn't help me before. I remember it was made by a small team from Canada or USA. Any ideas guys?

Should I be as excited about The Note as I am right now that I'm getting it? I always look longingly at the Indie threads and because I'm short on time, I make lists and never get around to them, but this one seems irresistible.

I never got much out of it, and I like some interactive poetry games like Today I Die and Bientot l'ete. I got more out of Passage which is also a short sidescrolling narrative game. Just not enough interaction for me. Even if it's a short poem, there could be more done with it rather than the one moment.

klinkcow

Neo Member
Yeah, honestly. The game just topped itself once more. Not sure where it exactly lands in my GOTY list, but it will be on there. Its just so damn well designed, paced with varied content.. and I cant stop playing. I asked in the OT, but where did you stop playing/what did you do so far in the game Badass?

Full Boar?

That reminds me I still need to find a game I heard of few years ago (5 or 6 maybe), where the world around the player reveals itself when slowing down movement - it was probably meant to be some kind of poetic experience. I really wish I could find it, no luck so far - even Toma couldn't help me before. I remember it was made by a small team from Canada or USA. Any ideas guys?

Not much to go on. What perspective was it, 2D or 3D? 3rd person? What did the character look like? Browser or downloadable?

I never got much out of it, and I like some interactive poetry games like Today I Die and Bientot l'ete. I got more out of Passage which is also a short sidescrolling narrative game. Just not enough interaction for me. Even if it's a short poem, there could be more done with it rather than the one moment.

Yeah, I went through it and was disappointed. I think honestly I want more out of my damn poetry than that, games aside. Pretty, intriguing, but dissolved quickly, so ultimately forgettable. Alas.

eta: I gotta get out of this thread, though, want all the games. all.

Yeah, I went through it and was disappointed. I think honestly I want more out of my damn poetry than that, games aside. Pretty, intriguing, but dissolved quickly, so ultimately forgettable. Alas.

Ah but you see your experience of the game is a metaphor, too! Or something.

Hofmann

Not much to go on. What perspective was it, 2D or 3D? 3rd person? What did the character look like? Browser or downloadable?

It was so long ago I don't remember exactly. I think it was first person perspective game/concept and I don't know if it has been released yet. Googled the hell out of it - nothing. I checked every IGF entrant since 2006 and no luck either, of course I could have missed it somehow going through so many games.

Top Bottom