• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [October] Now Voting - Post 1253!

Wanted to run something by you guys. I've read on other forums and even someone in the Steam thread, on how developers give out review copies of games to sites. Do you think it would be okay for me to ask any indie devs? I'm kind of nervous to try that. I believe that's how a lot of blogs and sites get their games to review, right?

It would sure save me a lot of $$

Moobabe

Wanted to run something by you guys. I've read on other forums and even someone in the Steam thread, on how developers give out review copies of games to sites. Do you think it would be okay for me to ask any indie devs? I'm kind of nervous to try that. I believe that's how a lot of blogs and sites get their games to review, right?

It is - send me a PM if you want some advice - I've been in the same situation as you.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

It really depends on how people are asking for those. It totally annoys me to read those "free key pls for review?" posts on Desura for example, but if you have a more professional attitude and contact them via mail with a decent description of your project and website, it should be fine.

It really depends on how people are asking for those. It totally annoys me to read those "free key pls for review?" posts on Desura for example, but if you have a more professional attitude and contact them via mail with a decent description of your project and website, it should be fine.
Yeah begging in comments on a Desura page is not the route to go. Email is obviously the smart way if I were to do this. Do you think...idk, that my blog would appeal to devs? Well, I have a nice "endorsement" from the AAC dev, but including that in an email might just seem tacky.

Really, the main reason for this, beside having more content and quality games to write about for my blog, is to save money. As a college student, I've probably spent a more than reasonable amount of money in the last few months.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Thanks, will do

By tonight, I'll have 5,000 views overall, had 2,550 in September. And I get between 30 to 300 views a day. That's probably good

As someone who is glad to reach 1000 per month after 3 years of blog activity... yes it is good.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Crossposting from the STASIS thread:

www.stasisgame.com
NEW WEBSITE!

Hey guys!

I know a few posts up I had a few conflicting thoughts on Kickstarter, but I'm an artist...and I'm allowed to change my mind!

The blog post is here if anyone wants to take a look!

I posted a redaction a while back, and announced that I would in fact be doing a Kickstarter Campaign, allowing me to work on the game full time, and really give it the love and care I believe it deserves.

That said, I have also relaunched the website, with new Screenshots, information, and an announcement of the Kickstarter dates!

Please head over, and take a look. And if you haven't done so already, please sign up to the news letter to get a reminder about the campaigns, as well as any other juicy info!

And here is a desktop background for your time!

Desktop-Wallpaper.jpg

Hofmann

Anyone wants Volgarr the Viking 25% off coupon?

Edit: and 33% off for Foul Play, as they're both listed this month.

Since Distance is made in Unity, does that mean this game will be better optimized than Nitronic? I could run Nitronic on low to medium with some settings off, but every Unity game I've played runs very smoothly

It does look like it had less blur than Nitronic which was the big performance killer for me. I was saving $15 for IGS store games, but this is Distance

Moobabe

Played some more Outer Wilds and landed (carefully for once) in a weird bramble looking planet. Chatted to a little space dude before I blew up. I guess my ship clattered into the planet's core...

I love this game SO much.

Fancy Skull impressions for anyone who might have been interested:
Between Paranautical Activity, Tower of Guns, and Fancy Skulls, it seems like the roguelike first person shooter is in vogue right now. While Paranautical Activity and Tower of Guns embrace over-the-top white-knuckle mayhem, Fancy Skulls stands out due to its abstract style and measured, more strategic gameplay.

The first aspect that stands out is the game's surreal visuals. Activate one of its randomized rooms and deformed multi-eyed...things emerge from their spawn points to attack: flying projectile-firing skulls, red-clawed melee chargers, bomb-spewing white stalks that aimlessly lurch around, spindly cyclopean turrets, and more. Every new enemy adds a new learning curve: what does it do, how doe it move, does it move or is it stationary, and most importantly, where is its weak point. Every enemy has a weak point somewhere on its body, some obvious, some more concealed or only visible at certain intervals; one or shots in this vulnerable area will kill an enemy and this element, combined with your limited ammo, totally alters the pacing compared to other FPS roguelikes. While in other games, you can fire wildly at enemies, here you'll survive longer by making your shots count and taking the time to aim carefully.

Further adding to Fancy Skull's strategic gameplay are the items and upgrades you can acquire. Like the enemies, you won't know what an item will do until you use it. From allowing you to hover and double jump to performing a fiery melee slam to slowing time, items are varied and completely change your strategy. Items require mana to use, so you can't spam these special abilities. Weapon upgrades can be bought from vendors found on each floor and imbue your guns with game changing abilities such as fire or explosive rounds to making ammo not count while airborne. The game's seven weapons range from your starting revolver to a shotgun and raygun to a rocket launcher and each feels different. (And yes you can rocket-jump.) You can only carry four guns at a time so choose wisely.

Fancy Skulls combines the FPS roguelike genre with mystery, strategy, and minimalist visuals.
Trailer and screens on my blog

Knock-Knock and Unholy Heights are on Steam

Knock Knock
You need to stay awake and sane till dawn.

The Lodger is wandering the rooms, evading the unknown, counting minutes till morning. But it's only in the night that he can solve the main puzzle and find the answers. What's going on? Are the Guests real, ot are they just figments of his insomniac imagination? What'd happened to the forest? What's happening to the cabin? Is there a line between reality and imagination?

ss_aac22fd24efb63e9efbbc8a6a65e81998179c26c.1920x1080.jpg

Unholy Heights
Unfortunately, heroes have caught wind of the Devil's plan, and will stop at nothing to wipe him out. Knock on residents' doors to call them to battle, trap heroes in devious pincer formations, and command your troops to victory. Monsters get jobs, fall in love, have children, and even skip out on their rent. Keep them happy or you might not have anyone to fight for you when heroes come knocking.

ss_29767a02bddb909307a809f492f9809b98507e9b.1920x1080.jpg

even is it seems that no one is interested in japanese indie james (if you're interested, play Demon King Chronicle on playism store, it's much, much better than To The Moon, gameplay or story-wise)

here are three very interesting rpgs that are going (or at least i hope so) to be localized by playism

Helen’s Mysterious Castle, which looks like a rpg from the 90s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUkd4vLcP2o

artifact adventures, inspired by dragon quest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXI0mmL1Y8w

one way heroics, where the screen auto-scrolls like in a platformer, and which has a interesting online mode:

One Way Heroics uses your internet connection to update the game’s main menu with featured dimensions, each with unique challenges and great new ways to play the game. Challenges range from prohibiting the recruitment of party members to a higher frequency of specific brutal creatures.

Also, while connected to the internet, One Way Heroics will display a dynamic leaderboard showing the current progress of other heroes trying their hand at the same dimension. Don’t worry, though! One Way Heroics is still fully playable without an internet connection. Players can still visit any dimension in the game, level up their character, unlock new classes, and access all of the game’s content while offline.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux57lalo7-o

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Truck Stop
From one of the creators of the Burnout series of games, comes the latest in physics-based vehicular mayhem - TruckStop!

Tweak your vehicles handling and parameters before sending it hurtling down an obstacle-filled level. The more damage you inflict on the Crash Test Dummy and the scenery, the bigger your score! Charge your CrashBreaker and explode the world out of your way!

iTyb2RF1Myyxd.gif

Toma

Done with Full Bore part 1, the indie thread will now have to endure less boar-related raving (until part 2 comes out). Fantastic game.

OMG, it worked. Sent emails to the devs of Logigun, Subject 9. Gravity Bomb, and Ethan: Meteor Hunter. So far the EMH dev got back to me and will be adding me to the review list/sending me a copy

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
even is it seems that no one is interested in japanese indie james (if you're interested, play Demon King Chronicle on playism store, it's much, much better than To The Moon, gameplay

AFAIK To The Moon was a visual novel, so this doesn't surprise me—this, however:

or story-wise)

Strong words given a number of people on GAF have said TTM brought them to tears! Wanna elaborate? What's DKC even about? The store page leads me to believe the plot is a barebones fantasy-themed excuse to play with a collection of RPG mechanics, which is apparently not the case...

Can anybody recommend any turn-based rpgs with good production values? Or any ARPGs? Any help would be super appreciated. :)

Check the followings and see if any of them are for your tastes:

• The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing
  • Path of Exile (F2P and releasing soon in Steam)
  • Expeditions: Conquistador
  • Recettear
  • Ys series

AFAIK To The Moon was a visual novel, so this doesn't surprise me—this, however:

Strong words given a number of people on GAF have said TTM brought them to tears! Wanna elaborate? What's DKC even about? The store page leads me to believe the plot is a barebones fantasy-themed excuse to play with a collection of RPG mechanics, which is apparently not the case...

to the moon has very barebone gameplay, but it can be still be called a rpg. I didn't really liked the story of to the moon, first all because is full of "nerd/hipster humor" (i don't know exactly how do call it, a type of humor based on random pop quotations that i really, really hate. It seems to be cool for an indie to have this type of humor, Anodyne and Unepic are also full of it. It's not like that i hate humor in rpg, earthbound is one of my favorite games), but because i also felt that the story was very derivative.

isn't easy for me to elaborate what DKC story is about, because uhm, my english is pretty bad and also i would spoiler the plot. It's about finishing an incomplete story (the dark king chronicle) that is somewhat connected to the game and the individual characters history. It's very meta and sometimes the game comments its own story, so you like those type of stories like me you will like it.

as for the gameplay, well that's simple but pretty good. The entire world is connected with dark souls-like shortcuts, and by exploring you can find many, many secrets. You can also check how many treasures you have found in a location by buying a notepad. There are many more interesting ideas, like achivements that give you points to buy useful skills.

you usually don't need to grind (well apart from the final battle which is ridiculous if you are not well prepared) if you play well and explore.

great game, but no one seems to be have played it in western countries. I think that it deserves its own topic but yeah, i can't make one because i am a junior forever (and proud of it because of how i became one).

Paz

I've been world travelling and haven't had time to check out this thread, but it's exciting to see Cactus here :D

For my part I really recommend you all check out the indie games Chroma and Cloudbuilt because I think they are going to be amazing, I mean there were tons of fantastic games at the Eurogamer Expo (And I'll probably write something more in depth about all of them later) but these were the games that blew me away at the show.

Although I would say if you can just be strong and hold off on watching/reading too much about Chroma there are a ton of 'Ah-ha!' moments when you play that game :)

Cloudbuilt is a jet pack powered third person sci fi parkour action game set in a dream world, and the most fun I've had with movement in a game since Mirrors Edge.

I've been world travelling and haven't had time to check out this thread, but it's exciting to see Cactus here :D

For my part I really recommend you all check out the indie games Chroma and Cloudbuilt because I think they are going to be amazing, I mean there were tons of fantastic games at the Eurogamer Expo (And I'll probably write something more in depth about all of them later) but these were the games that blew me away at the show.

Although I would say if you can just be strong and hold off on watching/reading too much about Chroma there are a ton of 'Ah-ha!' moments when you play that game :)

Cloudbuilt is a jet pack powered third person sci fi parkour action game set in a dream world, and the most fun I've had with movement in a game since Mirrors Edge.
Been anticipating Cloudbuilt since I saw it on IndieStatik. Looks so good and art style is wonderful

You can vote for it on Greenlight:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93065252

Keasar

Anders and Martin (from Coilworks) says hello by the way. Was asking them when they came back if they swung by the Assault Android Cactus and they say had a great time talking with you.

Really glad to hear you enjoyed Cloudbuilt. Was gonna post the same about Assault Android Cactus, really awesome game (and so smooth framerate!), have been loving the demo so I'm gonna get it next week. :)

Need to get Gone Home, Spelunky and Brothers too. Papers Please I already have and while depressing, so good. Glory to Arstotzka!

Anders and Martin (from Coilworks) says hello by the way. Was asking them when they came back if they swung by the Assault Android Cactus and they say had a great time talking with you.

Really glad to hear you enjoyed Cloudbuilt. Was gonna post the same about Assault Android Cactus, really awesome game (and so smooth framerate!), have been loving the demo so I'm gonna get it next week. :)

Need to get Gone Home, Spelunky and Brothers too. Papers Please I already have and while depressing, so good. Glory to Arstotzka!
Cloudbuilt dev (or one of them)?

allansm

Anyone played Knock knock? I'm interested in it but I would like to read some impressions before deciding whether to buy it or not.

Level designer. :)
Awesome. In the trailers, the level design is another highlight IMO. So kudos on that. I'm surprised the game hasn't been Greenlit yet. Rocket powered parkour platforming with combat and stylish visuals? Who doesn't want to play that?

Top Bottom