• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IndieGAF Community GOTY Voting 2015 (until 18th of January)

Here is mine for Axiom Verge

Axiom Verge
l5TWkAp.png

Open world exploration side scrolling platformer; from the outset Axiom Verge is a fine homage to the classic early games in the Metroid series. However upon further exploration it starts to develop its own identity with a mass of strange weapons to find and use, outlandish powers and the ability to manipulate the glitchy nature of the world itself. The end result is a game which feels oddly familiar yet completely alien.
LightningGun.png
SlugBoss.png
That is really it though sadly, none of the other games that need blurbs are ones I know personally enough to write up authentically about.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I'll do Software Inc tonight, maybe also Dyscourse and Renowned Explorers.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Software Inc.
YGAyPZU.png

This game finally fully realizes the idea of managing a software development company. Remember Gamedev story? Now imagine that... with more depth and complexity. dozens of decisions for your projects, HR management, worker compatibility and needs, office building, competitors, PC features that affect what you can develop, economy impacting future development decisions and more. It is still in Early access but gets frequently big updates and is already one of the most notable games in the genre. Start with a single developer, which is easy enough and then work yourself up to managing a multi dozen people company with different projects and priorities in a game, where even the right placement for car parking can be a factor to optimize your workflow. Highly recommended.
TYJl5sp.png
wRz8Squ.jpg

Thea: The Awakening (from piratepwnsninja)
gsgMD61.jpg

Thea is an unique mix of Civ, Rogue, and CCGs, with a little King of Dragon Pass sprinkled in. Somehow these seemingly disparate parts that manage to come together in a cohesive whole. You're a God from Slavic mythology who is directing survivors after an apocalyptic event has occurred. You're going to lose, but you must take solace in knowing that the now deceased civilization likely progressed enough to help the next one get just a little bit further, as you do have meta-progression across games. Definitely has the "one more turn" feeling. Downsides include a not great tutorial and interface quirks.
o_194higcue1pjpihe7dhqu0707a.jpg
o_19l9aqr6aedi1patki31qf31rkoi.jpg

Read Only Memories (from Muskieratboi)
7CZR5Ko.png

Read Only Memories is a heavily story-driven cyberpunk adventure game, very reminiscent of Snatcher and Policenauts in both style and gameplay. The cyberpunk Aesthetic blends with the progressive tones of the plot and characters almost perfectly, from the gay couple tending the bar of the nightclub you frequent through the story, to the cybernetically enhanced, Magical Girl VR Drama loving energy drink vendor with a heart of gold, to the genetically modified, hot tempered anthropomorphic feline lawyer who assists you in your investigations. The soundtrack is top-notch, an 80's blend of Synthwave, Rock, and Hip Hop that sets the cyberpunk mood perfectly, giving off vibes of everything from Shadowrun for the SNES to Snatcher to the Ace Attorney series in tone. If you're after a cyberpunk tale that does the genre justice, you can't go any better than ROM.
ROM_SS_12-1024x576.png
ROM_SS_03-1024x576.png

Technobabylon (from inm8num2)
H69gDkS.png

Technobabylon continues the strong track record of Wadjet Eye Games in producing retro-style point-and-click adventure games. The cyberpunk setting gives way to a rich, multi-layered story that blends topics ranging from genetic engineering and increasing online activity in a thoughtful, mature way. The latter allows for some fun puzzles that require lateral thinking across the real-world setting ("meatspace") and virtual setting (known as the Trance). The puzzles overall are logical and well-integrated with the story and setting, never obtuse but becoming more challenging as the game progresses. Throughout Technobabylon the player will control three different characters, each quite likeable and well-developed. Dialogue and voice acting are excellent and the pixel art is gorgeous, all setting the tone for the game along with a moody soundtrack. Overall Technobabylon is an excellent sci-fi point-and-click adventure that gets everything right.
TB-subway.png
TB-tranceden1.png

Dyscourse (from bobnowhere)
xfYW1zy.jpg

Best way to describe it: A digital survival choose your own adventure game. You play Rita, a plucky Barista off to the world championships, who is one of 6 survivors of a mysterious plane crash on a desert island. How you interact with your fellow survivors, who you choose to do various tasks can produce wildly varying outcomes, people might die, you might die, you might lose an arm, you might elect an Inanimate object as the new ruler of your desert kingdom or possibly you might even survive! Each game probably takes no more than on hour or so and judging by the completely different outcomes I've already seen in 5 or 6 plays it's well worth a look at.
ss4.png
ss3.png

Renowned Explorers (from bobnowhere)
LBgIWOT.jpg

A Strategic Turn Based Rogue-Like where you play a 19th Century adventurer intent on becoming the worlds greatest explorer. Now how you achieve this is where the game does something new, there are 3 types of attacks: aggressive where you punch, shoot, whip and the like, Devious where you insult, belittle, embarrass and finally you can just be really nice via cheering, congratulating etc... An enemy can be highly armored and laugh off attacks but could be thin-skinned and really sensitive about his smelly underwear and might just go home if you bring it up! How these 3 types of attacks interact can also effect the outcome and rewards you receive from each expedition and then how you upgrade you crew between missions. An amazing, ridiculous and surprisingly deep game.
area_of_effect.jpg
caribbean_expedition.jpg

Chroma Squad (from Ultimate_Trainer)
rOliD4E.jpg

Chroma Squad is a tactical role playing game where you manage your own monster of the week tokusatsu show, a television drama that uses special effects. It sets itself apart from other TRPGs by focusing on satisfying team attacks and maneuvers along with knock back on hit while following a script that gives you more viewers and bonuses. Destroying minions and bosses nets you materials which you can use to craft new armor and weapons for your actors or giant mecha. Manage your dream team hero show everyone wants to watch!
CSQ_08_22-04-2015.jpg
CSQ_02_22-04-2015.jpg

Dropsy (by Xater)
nckz0rj.jpg

Dropsy is the video game with a heart made out of gold. In a world where many video games revolve around killing things to reach the goal of saving the world, this little adventure game is a breath of fresh air. As Dropsy all you really want to do is help people, make them happy and give them a hug. Making people happy in this nightmarish world will not only put smiles on their face, but also on the player's. It is a cathartic experience in some way. Otherwise Dropsy s also "just" a very well crafted adventure game with beautiful art, and dialogs which work non-verbally. The latter adds a lot to the puzzles and this game being so much about the emotions of these characters, a picture can often say more than a thousand words.
2015drop4.png
2015drop8.png

Toma

Thanks to the Baddy and all the others who helped out with the last blurbs.

Toma, would you mind if I copy/pasted blurbs from other threads, so these can be finished up?

Cities: Skylines
8gvhOnu.jpg

For too long we'd been starved of a proper city builder to succeed the fantastic Simcity 4, and that was only made worse by the horrific Simcity (2014). Colossal Order have produced a fantastically refined and feature filled city builder. A particular highlight for me is the massively flexible road building tools allowing for some crazy, imaginative yet functional intersections. They have also embraced the community which was so crucial to Simcity 4 by supporting user mods.
screenshot_10_1.png
screenshot_3_3.jpg

The Beginner's Guide
9RUHP5n.jpg

Regardless of whether you think this personal artistic experience was worth your time and money or it should have stayed personal, you have to acknowledge that this game is art, through and through. Games as a medium can be so many things and convey so much, and this is another solid, in-depth example of that. This sets it apart from the Stanley Parable, I think, in that it doesn't examine the nature of narrative in games, but uses the game as a medium to self-examination. The fact that it's a video game is secondary to the artistic meaning of it, but necessary to the integrity of the piece, and that's what interests me the most about this game.
ss_b7190a3d465e0abf9640c1c774a4b3445836e69d.600x338.jpg
ss_2821c368d938362b74843cd1fff2e046d1633bee.1920x1080.jpg

Earthtongue
hiIUMgD.jpg

This is a prime example for the type of games that I started creating the Indie threads on GAF for. There are plenty of games that are bound to never get mass traction and an alien garden simulator playground definitely falls into that. Dabbling in this ecosystem and how dozens of plants or animals react to each other and unlocking more options was one of my personal favourites in 2015. It's a game you might only spend 2-4 hours with, depending on your playfulness, but I absolutely adore what this game managed to achieve and I'll keep holding these experiences dear to my heart.
elXiAMI.jpg
ZjRd7Ew.jpg

Quasi
NdLMyPg.png

It's a very unique puzzle game. I wont spoil the mechanics, because in the first 2 levels, you'll spend the most time just figuring out what the mechanics actually ARE. What are your powers? How do different level elements react to each other? Very similar to Fjords/Starseed Pilgrim in that regard. After you got the hang of it, the game throws a surprising amount of levels at you, which I had a blast solving. I haven't finished the game yet (about 50% through), and in the beginning the weirdness with the controls put me off a bit, but the more I played, the more this game rose up in my voting list.
xIAaHH.png
jdZCCG.png

Underrail
562095i.jpg

This is seriously the best cRPG I've played in years.The combat is tough, but there are enough options to deal with most situations, including stealth and climbing in vents. Lots of environmental interaction and a really nice detailed crafting system that made me wish I had spent more skill points on it. Also a detailed world with lots of things to explore and steal, a bit like Arcanum where you could steal all the shop inventories if you were good enough. Really, try it if you have any love for turn-based crpgs
24.jpg
13.jpg

Big Pharma
oav6oxz.jpg

Big Pharma is a pretty brilliant game. Basically it's part puzzle game, part business sim. Your job is to take ingredients, and then create a production line which turns them into a medication for something. At the end of your production line you'll get paid based on the quality of the drug you've made and the side effects it induces. That's the business bit. The business bit is way more complex than that though, because the world outside your factory is constantly evolving. Rival companies might produce a better drug than yours to combat a specific malady and so yours is suddenly not as profitable. Or there might be a particularly harsh winter and if you can get in quick with a decent cold medicine you could make tons of money... but when spring rolls around you'll have a huge production line making a drug no one wants.
gallery-1.jpg
gallery-4.jpg

D4: Dark Dreams Don’t Die
nOv38k1.jpg

Pillars of Eternity
ICYtARe.jpg

Pix the Cat
HpWMA9Y.png

Ravenmark: Sourge of Estellion
QmIvFiZ.jpg

Secrets of Grindea
3AGmVuR.png

Tales from the Borderlands
LFqsrcE.jpg

Velocity 2X
QNdx9LN.jpg

Toma

Baddy just posting these entries made me aware I didnt post the ones I prepared:

Big Pharma
fLnWsfd.png

http://store.steampowered.com/app/344850/
Part logic puzzle game and part business sim, Big Pharma mixes two very diverse game elements to create an addictive and very clever game. The business side comes from you having to manage your chemical research, buying new equipment and carefully analyzing the markets to make sure the cures you are producing are in high demand. When you are done with that you have to address the puzzle side where you are building the chemical production lines in your limited factory floor. Balancing space and the need to fit in the required amount of mixers and analyzers to ensure the final medicine is a suitable cure for the disease and only slightly deadly.
NAhN1mb.jpg
iGwl1m2.jpg

Cities: Skylines
pSQI3W1.png

http://store.steampowered.com/app/255710/
City builders had a rough time in the past few years with barely any game living up to the extremely high genre standards. Collossal Order proved themselves capable of making city builder style games, sat down with the community and managed to create the new gold standard of the genre on its first try. This game is downright amazing and you can basically adjust any aspect of the game to make it fit your gameplay needs via options and mods. If you like sims, Cities is a no brainer.
KXvrntj.jpg
screenshot_3_3.jpg

The Beginners Guide
IGg0Z7B.png

http://store.steampowered.com/app/303210/
One of the most powerful games in 2015. The developers prefer calling the genre "virtual theatre" and that is much closer to the experience I associate with this game than the typical derogatory "Walking simulator". Want to experience an original take on how a story can be told through videogames? Then give this unique experience a shot.
7H47VIr.jpg
E4R9VFg.jpg

Earthtongue
Ey5m87y.png

http://store.steampowered.com/app/358070/
An incredibly quiet and charming game that you could call an ecosystem simulator. There are still things to unlock and goals to achieve, but the basic system comes down to observing and balancing plants & animals in this ecosystem. This style of gameplay still feels so fresh, unique and rewarding that it just boggles my mind that there is not a higher budget version of this concept. Definitely check this out if you like unusual mechanics. Also props to the dev for his Pay by Art approach.
J2VQhRh.jpg
cVykpId.jpg

Quasi
1QkOoaB.png

https://prominent.itch.io/quasi
The single weirdest game on this list, but one that falls into a most intriguing category: Games in which you need to figure out the mechanics. You are not told what to do, you dont know how to do it, you do not know what you are even try to achieve. Be patient, use your playfulness and brain, observe and try to figure out the rules of this ~4 hour puzzle game.
F2J35lX.png
olASCdU.png

I dont particularly care either way though, you could just choose whichever entry you like better.

Toma

Funky we chose some similar pictures.

Toma

D4
While D4 does not reinvent the adventure game wheel, it has an incredibly engaging story, charming side activities, unique ideas and interesting characters. It has a slower pace sometimes, but the great presentation for a detective murder story with time travel elements and seriously wacky (wackily serious?) moments. Unfortunately, the games overarching story might never be fully finished, but the game is still very much worth grabbing for the fantastic ride it provides.

Toma

Pillars
Those said to be dead live longer. After being one of the most popular genres in the 90s, classical top down RPGs were basically about to die a horrible and uneventful death. In the wake of the first Kickstarter resurrections, former genre veterans came together to cotinue where they left off: making damn fine RPG epics. Engaging world building, a beautiful new engine and art design, tons and tons of spells, attacks and magic, tactical combat and a world that just makes you crave for exploring every nook and cranny. A great first step into the next era of isometrical RPGs.

Toma

Pix
Ever wondered why some of the older classics died and asked yourself why nobody tried to come up with modern versions? Look no further than Pix, if you want a high speed, twitchy and very challenging Pacman/Snake crossover in puzzle format. Additionally, the game also offers several other modes and generally just a plethora of content to dive into. Definitely pick this up if the arcadey nature of Pix sounds appealing to you.

Toma

Ravenmark
Ravenmark is a rather interesting tactical game that has its fair share of fans, but warning: It is certainly not for everyone. Some widespread design ideas, like character progression, are missing from this game, but instead the game makes up for it with very engaging tactical combat, that needs careful consideration for its finer elements, such as formations, and a fleshed out story. It is an iOS port, so there are the occasional oddities, but give this beautiful little game a chance if you like tactical combat and if you can see it for an affordable price.

Toma

Grindea
Secrets of Grindea is an action RPG inspired by the genre classics like Zelda and Secrets of Mana. A huge amount of different skills and abilities, character customization extremely fun bosses, big areas worth exploring, puzzles, secrets, a great art style and animations and many, many, many side activities and minigames. I almost forgot to mention the additional gameplay modes too, beside the main campaign. Incredibly addictive and satisfying to play. Check this out if you are a fan of Action RPGs.

Toma

Borderlands
In line with Telltales other ventures, Tales of the Borderlands presents an additional view on a well known franchise and transforms an FPS franchise into a very compelling, imaginative and engaging adventure game. Telltale games arent known for intricate puzzle design, but the world they built and character interactions they laid out so well done, that this game ended up on quite a few GOTY lists. You should also jump in for these Incredibly likable characters, surprising story and super fun ride.

Toma

V2X
The sequel to the already fantastic Velocity made an already great game concept even better by adding more variety to the zipping and zooming around the levels. With the incredibly tight controls, both the shmup and sidescrolling levels are quick and fun to play. V2X is an incredibly refined and polished experience, which allows for a ton of room to replay and improve your scores.Disclaimer: The game is bugged for Nvidia Users on W10, but if you have a different setup, or can play it on console, definitely check it out.

Toma

All texts and images in place, checking how to integrate the prices and links.

Top Bottom