• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IndieGogo / PC / Console] Rotten Core, old school fighting game

Castef

Banned
size2_cfglx3.png

The crowdfunding campaign started at this link.

What is Rotten Core?

(from the campaign page): "We are Team Aiduzzi, a small group of artist and developers. We're working on Rotten Core, an original old-school 2D fighting game that revels in the bizarre and the grotesque. The game has a motley case of characters that are sure to delight anyone who has even a passing interest in the dark and offbeat. The style of Rotten Core blends elements of horror and comedy, and the result is a fighting game that is at once unsettling and funny. The idea of this game has been in progress for a long time."
[cut]
"This game is in collaboration with Elecbyte, the studio that made the M.U.G.E.N engine. We're working on a new engine to optimize and run Rotten Core at its full potential on many more platforms as possible.

As stated earlier, Rotten Core is an old school 2D fighting game. We've been reliving the good old days to bring you something you could find a 90's coin op arcade. But also you'll find modern and sophisticated 2D sprites graphic arts and animations as well as original gameplay features."

Features - The Short List
- Sprite based
- Hand-drawn 2D graphics
- 1 VS 1 fighter, with a distinct 90' style
- 8 fighters, with 4 more unlockable as stretch goals
- veeery bizarre characters
- uses a customization of the M.U.G.E.N. engine
- for PC, with PS4 and XB1 stretch goals

Fighting Engine Features (from the campaign page)

1. Distinctive Moves

Pressing a specified button allows each character to perform his own peculiar moves. Every character has his own distinctive move which can be an evasive one, an attacking one or maybe a move useful for a combo startup... or maybe something else!

2. Enhanced Special Moves (ESM)

Some special moves can be enhanced with a little amount of the power meter bar

3. Rotten Arts (RA)

Each character has some powerful Super Moves called Rotten Arts. They can be performed at the cost of one power meter bar segment.

4. Uber Rotten Arts (URA)

Each character has some very devastating Super Moves called Uber Rotten Arts. They can be performed at the cost of two power meter bar segments.

5. Cross Impact (CI), Perfect Cross Impact (PCI) and Cross Charge Reaction (CCR) (Check out the trailer above for an example)

Cross Impact (CI) and Perfect Cross Impact (PCI) System is a new kind of mechanics in a Beat’em’up. When you are in a difficult situation, you can now try to defend with an attack! Some attacks have auto guard impact properties which can transform a defense into a lethal opening window for an attack. Maybe a devastating combo! But don’t think that it will be easy! Your opponent can react with a Cross Charge Reaction (CCR). Every CCR brings each character to an unique spectacular scene where two fighters challenge each other (every character has a different reaction with each opponent that he(or she) fights!) with the result of charging their power meters. So CI, PCI and CCR are a technical and spectacular new system to attack an opponent and also defend yourself from him!

6- Madness Power Bar (added for Rotten Core: Purple Pain Edition)

Each character has an extra own power meter used for new powerful special ESM.

7- End of the World (EOTW) (added for Rotten Core: Purple Pain Edition)

Each character can cause the end of the world with an ultra devastating final blow which instantly kill the opponent.

Screenshots

kuando-stance02_fgmp1e.png

mugen011_c73hv1.png

el07_ozabpo.png

mugen017_ojjjop.png

12948326_1679890708944266_1577300789_o_hwup8m.jpg

F.A.Q. (from the campaign page)

1. What is the release date of Rotten Core?

We estimate about one year of work to reach the final form of Rotten Core. Estimated release is July/August 2017

2. Is Rotten Core graphics HD?

Rotten Core combines low res pixel art characters with HD stages and HD explosions. All menus, game intro and comic strips (in the story mode) are HD.

3. All characters, voices, stages and visual effects (explosions) will be original?

Yes. We want to draw these ones from scratch. All characters are original (we want to fix Ubu and make him original), all voices are original, all stages too. We want to draw new original explosions and replace them or some other, new ones.

4. Characters are ripped from other games?

No, all characters will be original

5. M.U.G.E.N is a freeware engine?

Yes. We are making this game in a collaboration with Elecbyte. We purchased a licensed version of M.U.G.E.N. for commercial use.

6. Who is Aiduzzi?

Aiduzzi throughout the M.U.G.E.N. community is a well-know characters and stages creator. Now he's rising up a team to develop Rotten Core. It's Team Aiduzzi.

7. Why aren't you offering a box version of the game?

We would love to offer a version of the game in box form but producing a physical box, printing a game manual and burning CDs is too much expensive for a small indipendent software house as actually Team Aiduzzi is. We are very sorry.

8. Why is the PS4/Xbox One version of the game a stretch goal?

As stated previously, we would love to offer a console version of the game. Actually making a console version of Rotten Core is very expensive, so we are forced to put PS4/XBOX ONE version of Rotten Core as stretch goals

9. Does Rotten Core run at 30 or 60fps?

60fps.

10. What are the system requirements for Rotten Core?

We don't yet know the exact numbers, but we can assure that this game will run at 60fps fairly low minimum spec. We'll give you specifics as soon as we know ourselves.

Castef

Banned
Seems interesting but that campaign is off to a very poor start $123 in 13hours.

Yep. The platform they've chosen is not helping, also.

Oh well, there is time to get attention (and money), I guess.

....I have that exact same character on the right in my M.U.G.E.N game. Same sprites and all.

Her name is stella I think....? Ill check later

Edit: saw the video. That shit is M.U.G.E.N. I think.....is this even legal?

Okay, characters are fair game then, but I still think its not legal to make money off the M.U.G.E.N engine.

Im not trying to be a party pooper here. Just got a bit shocked is all.

Dremark

Banned
....I have that exact same character on the right in my M.U.G.E.N game. Same sprites and all.

Her name is stella I think....? Ill check later

Edit: saw the video. That shit is M.U.G.E.N. I think.....is this even legal?

They said they are working with the Mugen team on the game engine. Assuming this is true everything should be above board. I'm not at home so I didn't watch the video but the game could be so early in development they threw the assets into Mugen just so they could be viewed, I don't know.

They said they are working with the Mugen team on the game engine. Assuming this is true everything should be above board. I'm not at home so I didn't watch the video but the game could be so early in development they threw the assets into Mugen just so they could be viewed, I don't know.

That would make sense.

Looking at these characters again just made me nostalgic hahaha. Blast from the past.

Looks cheap as fuck, like old FM2nd games and i'm pretty benevolent with that because Vanguard Princess was made with it.

Good luck, i guess.

As a fan of fighting games, it is my duty to give this game attention. The art style is very bizarre, and I like it. The animations are also pretty good, I think. Not the best I've ever seen, but I liked what I saw. I'm not sold on the mechanics, but I am interested in seeing this move forward. The game seems totally over the top crazy and bizarre.

That said, I see the Indiegogo price tag and the first thing I'm reminded of is Beast's Fury, which is now dead after multiple campaigns. In two months, this thing could make it. However, one day and nearly $300 in to the $87,000 does not give me much hope. I'm hesitant to back this. I need to see how this is doing later in the campaign.

Krammy

mugen011_c73hv1.png

I'd be willing to bet money that the old guy's art is a mish mash of Street Fighter Alpha 3 Fei Long's body with a King of Fighters characters pants (probably King, Yamazaki or Seth). Obviously a baseless accusation at the moment, but if I have time, I'll try to find the pieces used.

EDIT: Yep, Fei Long's top from this frame.
XAnMyew.png

EDIT2: And there's a close enough example of the Yamazaki lower half.
h9Eqtip.png

RM8

Well, I'm old I guess, since I don't really think of ArcSys-ish stuff when I think of old school fighting games, lol.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Many animations are clearly based on KOF, graphics and sound effects are straight ripped from KOF.

Anyway the anime graphics and artworks clash imo.

mugen011_c73hv1.png

I'd be willing to bet money that the old guy's art is a mish mash of Street Fighter Alpha 3 Fei Long's body with a King of Fighters characters pants (probably King or Yashiro). Obviously a baseless accusation at the moment, but if I have time, I'll try to find the pieces used.

Yeah it looks like it, it is from the MUGEN era ha. But if the indiegogo makes it they will redraw/sprite most things to make em look original. They need to do this for hitsparks and visual effects, like, soon.

RM8

BTW, what's up with western fighting games and horror elements? MK, KI, Skullgirls, that indie fighter with the cool muscle-witch, Terrordrome, Death Cargo...

Krammy

Yeah it looks like it, it is from the MUGEN era ha. But if the indiegogo makes it they will redraw/sprite most things to make em look original. They need to do this for hitsparks and visual effects, like, soon.

Even understanding that they would want to show off gameplay first and foremost, it's still a terrible idea to be using sprite edits in your pitch.

Castef

Banned
In the meanwhile the game si getting no money...

Maybe launching on IndieGogo instead of Kickstarter is not helping...

Guymelef

mugen011_c73hv1.png

I'd be willing to bet money that the old guy's art is a mish mash of Street Fighter Alpha 3 Fei Long's body with a King of Fighters characters pants (probably King, Yamazaki or Seth). Obviously a baseless accusation at the moment, but if I have time, I'll try to find the pieces used.

EDIT: Yep, Fei Long's top from this frame.
XAnMyew.png

EDIT2: And there's a close enough example of the Yamazaki lower half.
h9Eqtip.png

Ups.

Top Bottom