• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFAMOUS 2 |OT| Think Twice

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
header_riq5.jpg

Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
Developer: Sucker Punch Productions
Platform: PlayStation®3 system
Genre: Open World
Players: 1
Rating: Teen / 16 (Blood, Drug Reference, Language, Sexual Themes, Use of Alcohol, Violence)
Release Date: June 7, 2011 (NA) | June 8, 2011 (Europe) | June 10, 2011 (UK) | June 10, 2011 (Germany)

boxes_x71i.png

sep_overview_bfol.png

Cole MacGrath makes his electrifying return in inFAMOUS 2, the second chapter in the best-selling franchise exclusively for the PlayStation®3 system. Developed by Sucker Punch Productions, inFAMOUS 2 takes 2009’s blockbuster to all-new heights in an immersive open world action adventure that offers a more visceral, emotional and powerful take on the true superhero experience.

inFAMOUS 2 opens in Empire City as a massive explosion rips through the town signaling the birth of a new evil. Nearly escaping death by the dark entity known as “The Beast”, Cole flees the city. Upon leaving, Cole discovers that “The Beast” has destroyed Empire City and is heading down the coast annihilating everything in its path.

In an effort to stop “The Beast” from destroying mankind, Cole heads to New Marais (inspired by real life New Orleans) in search of a scientist who is believed to hold the key to defeating this dark entity. Hidden within this town lies the key to Cole’s powers and possibly the salvation of the human race. Scared citizens roam the seedy Red Light district, armed militia patrol the French Quarter and deadly mutated creatures inhabit the sticky swampland. As the mystery of “The Beast” unfolds, Cole must learn to harness his powers for the sake of mankind. Will you be strong enough to save the city from self-destruction, or will you help it along?

sep_features_ue14.png

True Superhero Experience – Wielding god-like superpowers, discover what it means to be a true superhero with powerful cinematic sequences, stylized graphic cutscenes and epic boss battles which help bring Cole’s story to life.

Advanced Super Powers – Featuring a complete overhaul of the power system from inFAMOUS, experience what it’s like to be a full-blown superhero with enhanced electrical attacks, an improved melee fighting system and a host of new superpowers.

Evolved Karma System – Taking the franchise’s Karma system to the next level, Cole’s karmic choices to ally with different influences will now lead him down the path to becoming mankind’s greatest hero or its most feared villain, ultimately shaping the outcome of the story.

All-New Open Dynamic World – Explore a virtually dense and more vibrant open world, set in the southern city of New Marais, with an increased level of interactivity, featuring over 100 simultaneous characters on screen, new gangs, destructible buildings and collapsible environments.

Enhanced Urban Exploration – Utilizing a highly-polished mo-cap and animation system to make climbing and exploring flow more fluidly, freely navigate the city and traverse nearly any surface with new fluid and dynamic parkour moves.

User Generated Content - inFAMOUS 2 allows players to create missions for the first time ever. The original inFAMOUS had an end; inFAMOUS 2 never ends. The countless number of missions and never ending stream of content keeps the game fresh and playable. inFAMOUS 2 is the first open world game that actually allows players to “do anything;” creating and populating the game world with one of a kind missions, limited only by the designer’s imagination.

Continue The Quest – If you have trophies from inFAMOUS, use them to unlock bonus content and change your adventure in inFAMOUS 2. Alter karma level, unlock extra energy cores, and bonus XP. Side missions, dead drops, and dialog also is changed depending on your previous choices.

sep_characters_qe8k.png

characters_tt0p.png

sep_media_uidk.png

screens01_ci6v.jpg

screens02_6icx.jpg

screens03_ncr2.jpg

screens04_ogfy.jpg

screens05_3df9.jpg

screens06_sfgt.jpg

screens07_sfje.jpg

screens08_4hcg.jpg

Video

sep_bonuses_bekw.png

Pre-order Bonuses (North America)
  • Amazon: 24K Gold Amp (Gold version of Cole's new electrical weapon)
  • Best Buy: Kessler Skin (Play as Kessler, the evil antagonist from the first inFAMOUS story)
  • Gamestop: Lightning Hook (Use the Lightning Hook to snare and pull enemies and objects towards Cole) & Exclusive Poster
  • Walmart: Electrocution Grenade (Shock nearby enemies with electricity that ties them down for a couple of seconds before detonating)
  • All preorders at participating retailers will include the following in-game items: Sly's Cane, Caveman Club, Samurai Sword, Reaper Skin
  • Specially marked copies also include early access to the Uncharted 3 multiplayer beta (begins June 28)

Pre-order Bonuses (Europe)
  • Play: Stalker Grenade (Locks on to the nearest enemy and explodes when it gets close enough to inflict some damage) & Sniper Blast (Fire accurate, long-range attacks - ideal for taking down enemies on rooftops or further down the street). Also includes Uncharted 3 Early Beta Access
  • Game: Uncharted 3 Early Beta Access
  • Amazon: Uncharted 3 Early Beta Access
  • Please consult your country's page on the official inFAMOUS website if you're confused by the offerings for your country

Special Edition (Europe Exclusive)
  • £49.99 RRP
  • 3D lenticular cover
  • Voucher code (Electrocution Grenade Power, Original Cole skin, 24K Gold Amp)
specialedition_2t8d.png

Hero Edition
  • $99.99 MSRP | £99.99 RRP
  • Play.com exclusive in United Kingdom
  • Highly detailed 8.5” Cole MacGrath statue
  • Sportable sling pack modeled after Cole’s own in-game gear
  • inFAMOUS #1 mini comic from DC Comics
  • Official inFAMOUS 2 HERO Edition Soundtrack
  • Super voucher code for a collection of in-game content (24K Gold Amp, Kessler Skin, Lightning Hook, Electrocution Grenade)
heroedition_h7xv.jpg

Good and Evil DualShock 3 bundles available in select European markets

320GB PlayStation 3 bundle available in select European markets

sep_trophies_wikd.png

trophybronze_67om.png

Behind the Curtain - Collect 50% of the available Dead Drops.
A Streetcar Named 'Boom!' - Complete BOOM!
Quid Pro Kuo - Complete Leading the Charge.
Playing Both Sides - Complete Fooling the Rebels.
Ambulance Chaser - Complete Hearts and Minds Campaign.
Am I The Daddy? - Complete Nix's New Family.
Exposure - Complete Exposing Bertrand.
The Cleaner - Complete the assassination side missions.
Frozen Asset - Complete the ice Conduit side missions.
Dazed and Defused - Take down the Blast Shard Bomber.
Back to the Bayou - Return to the swamp blockade.
Mountaineer - Climb to the top of the 3 tallest buildings in New Marais.
Extreme Makeover - Destroy 30 verandas or other large objects.
Watch That First Step - Defeat an enemy by destroying the object they stand on.
Finish What You Started - Perform 100 finishers or ultra melee combos.
Knockout in the Blackout - Defeat 50 enemies in powered down areas while no missions are active.
Go Long! - Hurl 50 objects using the Kinetic Pulse ability.
Cole' Blooded - Defeat 100 civilians.
Army Of Me - Defeat 300 enemies.
Hero to the People - Stop 80 crimes in progress.
Nothing Can Bring Me Down - Stay off the ground for 130 meters.
Return to Sender - Send a Helicopter's rockets back at it using any Blast ability.
Vehicular Manslaughter - Defeat 25 enemies by throwing cars at them.
Take Them For A Spin - Hit at least 6 cars in a single Ionic Vortex.
Shock and Awe - Thunder drop into a group of 5 or more enemies.
Thunder Flop - Thunder drop from the highest place in New Marais.
Head Hunter - Use the Precision ability to rack up three head shots in rapid succession.
Discerning Taste - Take down a street performer who is imitating a statue.
I'm As Shocked As You Are - Defeat an enemy or civilian by stepping in water.
Don't Fence Me In - Climb a chain link fence and rejoice.
Express Elevator - Ascend 50 vertical launch poles.
Heavy Hitter - Use your Ionic Powers 30 times.
Matching Set - Unlock and purchase a power of each type by performing stunts.
Level Up - Create a new mission using the UGC level editor.
UGC Curious - Play 10 user-generated missions.
UGC Veteran - Play 25 user-generated missions.
Trail Blazer - Play 5 user-generated missions under the Newest filter.
Closed Casket Affair - Give Bertrand what he wants.
Status Kuo - Choose Kuo in Storm the Fort.
Get Nix'ed - Choose Nix in Storm the Fort.

trophysilver_17im.png

With Great Power Comes Greater Power - Unlock and purchase all powers.
Shardcore - Pick up 50% of blast shards scattered around New Marais.
Fight the Good Fight - Unlock the good ending.
Forging Your Own Path - Unlock the evil ending.
Land Lord - Take over the first island in New Marais.
It's My Town, Now - Take over the second island in New Marais.
Well inFORMED - Collect all Dead drops.
Arch Villain - Earn full negative Karma.
Incorruptible - Earn full positive Karma.

trophygold_376k.png

Pain Builds Character - Finish the game on hard difficulty.
Just One More - Pick up all the blast shards scattered around New Marais.

trophyplatinum_47q1.png

inFAMOUS 2 Platinum Trophy - Collect all other inFAMOUS 2 Trophies

sep_reviews_mgj6.png

84 - Metacritic

Gametrailers - 92
Excels with a varied open world, bookended by monumental set-piece battles. The inclusion of user-generated content constitutes almost as a game unto itself, and while the morality system isn't one that calls for tough decision making, it pushes even further to provide two dramatically different gameplay experiences.

IGN - 90
Nothing exists in Infamous 2 just because, and that's something developer Sucker Punch should be commended for. When combined with how well-executed just about everything in the game is, the overall package is one of PlayStation 3's best and a must-play for fans of the first game.

Joystiq - 90
Infamous 2 tows a perfect line between too-strong and too-puny, between human and superhuman, between risk and restraint. It halfheartedly delivers on a few of its promises, but its shortcomings are far outweighed by this one stellar achievement: It knows how to make you feel powerful.

Game Informer - 88
The more I played Infamous 2, the more I found myself disengaged with the story, instead enjoying the experience solely for its amazing open-world superhero fights. The game sacrifices its narrative flow for more fantastic elements. This isn't a necessarily a bad thing; it just ends up being more about the action and random moments than Cole's journey.

Eurogamer - 80
During its best moments, it feels like something we might have been given by the Assassin's Creed team if they'd grown up immersed in the works of Steve Ditko rather than Umberto Eco: a hard-edged pulp adventure where your tools are perfectly matched to your missions. If the original game gave Cole a purpose, this one provides a little personality to go with it.

Gamespot - 75
Small problems hold Infamous 2 back from greatness, but there's still a lot of electrifying fun to be had in Cole's latest adventure.

footer_bfzo.jpg

kamspy

Well this sure snuck up on me. Infamous is my favorite PS3 IP. I'm gonna have to find a way to play this. Soon.

- J - D -

Cool OP. Not sure how I'm going to juggle work, E3 onslaught and InFamous 2 all within the same week.

Of course, that's not a problem for folks who already have the game. I'm so jelly.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Nice thread, forgot this was out so soon.

I liked the first a lot so I'll get this soon, but yeah, that fuckin box art. Even worse than the first, lol. It's the awful character design, but I shouldn't go there.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Infamous 1 was mediocre. Maybe I'll give it a second chance and then buy the sequel. I just didn't dig the combat that much.

Also,
footer_bfzo.jpg

LOL!

Snuggler said:
Nice thread, forgot this was out so soon.

I liked the first a lot so I'll get this soon, but yeah, that fuckin box art. Even worse than the first, lol. It's the awful character design, but I shouldn't go there.

You know it is bad when players like myself are planning to play through the whole game with a pre-order skin.......

Luthos

Loved the first. So pumped for this game.

Does anyone know yet if there is a tracker for how many blast shards you've found per area? Like they did in Assassin's Creed 2? That would be nice.

Irish

Damn it, this a day early. :p

Oh well, here's a concern I have about the power switching:

After watching that new power video about a dozen more times, I have to say, I'm somewhat disappointed with how SP chose to do power switching. It appears as if the powers are locked into a certain button based on category and I don't really like that. I think you should be able to customize what powers go where. Additionally, the groupings make it impossible to have two different powers from the same category equipped at a single time. That should never have happened. This is supposed to be about player freedom, yet I can't have all my various grenade types equipped at once or all my platforming powers available to me without having to pause the game to alternate between them (my main concern). At the very least they should include the ability to have several loaded presets that you can switch to on the fly with a tap of one of the directional buttons.

Beyond pumped. Got my copy all paid off. This is one of those games you wake up early for so you can play it as soon as you can.

BTW, wish NA got the Europe cover. It's loads better.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Really looking forward to this but tremendously dislike the fragmentation of cool sounding powers through store exclusive deals.

My favorite IP this gen. Bring on the Beast.

Note about the OP-I don't think Zeke tried to steal Cole's powers, he just tried to acquire his own. Everything else is great though.

Chuck

Still without luck
I'm getting the hero edition for the backpack specifically. If you want my Cole statue, PM me.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Sorry to ask about stupid preorder crap, but do we know if the Sly cane will be in the form of a voucher in the case, or will it be printed on the receipt?

I'll probably buy this a few days after its out but I want that fuckin cane, man.

alr1ght

narwhalSTAB said:
My favorite IP this gen. Bring on the Beast.

Note about the OP-I don't think Zeke tried to steal Cole's powers, he just tried to acquire his own. Everything else is great though.
talk to SP.

Nils said:
Really looking forward to this but tremendously dislike the fragmentation of cool sounding powers through store exclusive deals.
no kidding. at least we can hope they do the same as with the first game and eventually release the exclusive powers for free on the store (if it's ever up).

Luthos

Not only is it so stupid to make certain powers a pre-order exclusive, but would we even be able to access them? Will probably have to download through a code, through the PS Store. Which would be a little hard...

Nice OT.
Anyone know how the Best Buy pre-ordering works? Do I need to register it online? Will the code be given to me in store? My wife did it for me so I have no clue.

elfinke

Very nice OT, kudos to you.

While I enjoyed inFamous, it took me a couple attempts before I bothered to finish it (though that is true for a few different games I was playing at that time). Will definitely be giving it an import.

Irish

For those of you who managed to download the beta before the store went down, would you please shed some light on the idea of power switching? I'm somewhat concerned that it really locks down a lot of your freedom.

Irish said:
Oh well, here's a concern I have about the power switching:

After watching that new power video about a dozen more times, I have to say, I'm somewhat disappointed with how SP chose to do power switching. It appears as if the powers are locked into a certain button based on category and I don't really like that. I think you should be able to customize what powers go where. Additionally, the groupings make it impossible to have two different powers from the same category equipped at a single time. That should never have happened. This is supposed to be about player freedom, yet I can't have all my various grenade types equipped at once or all my platforming powers available to me without having to pause the game to alternate between them after every jump or so (my main concern). At the very least they should include the ability to have several loaded presets that you can switch to on the fly with a tap of one of the directional buttons.

MightyKAC

Loved the first one so this purchase is pretty much a foregone conclusion. Although I'm incredibly pissed about not being able to buy the Hero edition.

This really snuck up on me, for some reason it just seemed so far off. Pre-ordered now. Unfortunately I can't really afford the Special Edition and definitely not the Hero Edition.

alr1ght

Irish said:
For those of you who managed to download the beta before the store went down, would you please shed some light on the idea of power switching? I'm somewhat concerned that it really locks down a lot of your freedom.
that's basically how it is. you can hold d-pad left to hotswap them without going through the pause menu.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I know absolutely NOTHING about this game, and I love that. Didn't follow anything leading up to release.

With that said, inFamous 1 was a blast, and I'm actually about to replay inFamous starting tonight to get re-memorized and know the story as much as possible before playing this (because I remember enjoying the ending o_O) Day 1!

KingDizzi

Banned
Thinking about the games releasing this year this is actually my most anticipated. Really looking forward to this one, loved the first and this one looks even better. Gonna go the evil route again, best part of the first game was attacking civilians and then having them throw rocks at you. Also looked at the video showing the powers, some of them are seriously :O

Top Bottom