• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Initial Tales of Symphonia Sales in my Store = Good

Hellraizah

Suikoguy said:
Well, there are 2 ways of looking at it

A.) EB/Gamestops did not order enough
B.) Namco shipped what they expected it to sell, and it exceeded the expectations.

I really hope B, cause they most certainly means they will reconsider bringing other rpgs over.
Well, we got a note today saying that Namco wasn't delivering more until an undisclosed date before the end of the month. The memo was written in a way that is wasn't even subtile to know that they were pissed about "the vendor's distribution".

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Soul4ger said:
There's Shin Megami Tensei III, Digital Devil Saga, Phantom Brave, Growlanser, Shadow Hearts: Covenant, Suikoden IV, Wild Arms: Alter Code F, all before the end of this year. That's what I can think off the top of my head, I'm not sure if that's the entire line-up, so... There's definitely more than a few.

Phantom Brave = Tactical
Shadow Hearts + Wild Arms + Suikoden = Personal Brain Lapse
Shin Megami Tensei III + Digital Devil Saga = Lack of research on my part

So yeah, I sorta see your point. hehe
Regarding xbox, I don't see the tales series doing well at all on them, of course it won't happen so it does not matter.

Brannon

The CompUSA next to Lenox Mall in Atlanta has plenty of copies left for those who want one, you have to ask though as it's not on the shelf.

Scott

Suikoguy, counting all the types of RPGs (Action, Turn-based, Strategy, etc), PS2 has just shy of 50 titles available. PSOne is ahead, though, you're right - it has around 70.

For the rest of 2004, there is:

Chulip
Digimon World IV
Digital Devil Saga: Avatar Tuner
Final Fantasy XI: Online: Chains of Promathia
Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone
Inuyasha: The Secret of the Cursed Mask
Megaman X: Command Mission
Musashi: Samurai Legend
Phantom Brave
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Star Ocean: 'Till the End of Time
Suikoden IV
The Bard's Tale
The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age
Wild ARMs: Alter Code: F
X-Men Legends
Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim

There's 18 titles there, so unless something slips, PS2 will be very close by the end of the year. By the end of next, it'll have surpassed PSOne's count no problem. And by the end of the console's life? I'm predicting a total count of around 90+ under it's belt; wouldn't surprise me at all at this rate. :p

only goes to show that gamecube exclusivity of desirable games is a +ve thing. I can't say that I'm that excited about TOS.. lost the love for RPGs after the last three disatrous FFs and the tepid Golden Sun games. ANd I thought the PS series was tosh.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
only goes to show that gamecube exclusivity of desirable games is a +ve thing

Yeah, exclusivity is definitely a selling point.

Making a game available for less people is definitely a good idea for everyone involved, especially when you consider the consumers that only purchase exclusive titles.

B.K.

Looks like it may not be exclusive for too long. IGN is reporting that Namco has decided to release the PS2 version in America after seeing how well the Gamecube version sold. It also says that they may release Tales of Rebirth and Tales of Destiny II in America sometime in 2005.

Soul4ger

B.K. said:
Looks like it may not be exclusive for too long. IGN is reporting that Namco has decided to release the PS2 version in America after seeing how well the Gamecube version sold. It also says that they may release Tales of Rebirth and Tales of Destiny II in America sometime in 2005.

::sighs::

What a bunch of bullshit. I'll just be happy to have 'em, though.

Allocations of ToS are "extremely tight" right now, apparently, or so says the Daily EB Line. We're sold out again, and we actually got another handful of copies in this morning.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
You know I didn't think about this, but the NP mag with the Tales cover sold out at where I work (Blockbuster). We had like six...and NP never ever sells out. We weren't gonna get the game for rent, but all the sudden we are.

I didn't expect this game to do so good...but it seems like it is. I haven't even seen the commersial for it, but I overheard some guys talking about the game saying how the in game visuals will really cinematic...like it was like playing an anime. I really don't even know too much about it, but it seems the public see's this as the first true serious Japanese RPG on GAMECUBE...but I still never expected it to sell out like that???

belgurdo

Banned
B.K. said:

'Bout time. Retarded bastards better keep in ALL the voices this time...keeping just the skits was good, but not good enough

ferricide

gee. namco won't confirm that TOS PS2 is coming out, TOS GC sells very well, TOS PS2 is going to come out here. FUNNY HOW LOGIC WORKS... saves a lot of dumb posts about how namco sux!

Link316

Banned
B.K. said:
You can't really blame them for that. They were probably expecting it to sell as poorly as Tales of Eternia did when they released it in America.

it would've been nice if Namco gave ToD1&2 half the support that they've gave to ToS

kiryogi

Banned
belgurdo said:
'Bout time. Retarded bastards better keep in ALL the voices this time...keeping just the skits was good, but not good enough

HAHAHA! You know whats the best part about Destiny 2? It has way more skits/voiced parts than Symphonia. If Namcos gonna try and milk upon success, here's hoping they put a good effort at least. I mean to toss both Destiny 2 and Rebirth (Which still doesn't have a real solid date) in 2k5? Maybe that's just a bad estimate, but that's a lot more work then I'd imagine Hometek would bother to do. In a good manner anyway.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Also, wasn't the most recent rumor in the EGM section stating that Namco was working on an indirect sequel to the GC's TOS? And not Eternia or anything else releasing or set for release upon the PS2.

ferricide

there's no reason for ToD2 (PS2) to come out here. it's really weak. with rebirth on the horizon, it's a huge waste of time.

Deg

Banned
Suikoguy said:
Well, there are 2 ways of looking at it

A.) EB/Gamestops did not order enough
B.) Namco shipped what they expected it to sell, and it exceeded the expectations.

I really hope B, cause they most certainly means they will reconsider bringing other rpgs over.

Its normally the a) Why? Because Fire Emblem is sold out in the UK. :mad Seems like the retailers didnt think it would sell.

madara

ferricide said:
there's no reason for ToD2 (PS2) to come out here. it's really weak. with rebirth on the horizon, it's a huge waste of time.

For most part I would have to agree with that. Considering I am huge RPG freak that is saying alot. I have import here and played about 20hrs. Battles are definitely a huge step back for Tales series. If they do bring it here I hope they dont even bother with american acting, just keep the divine japanase dialogue since so very long anyhow and just insert english text.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Got my copy yesterday after walmart got their 2nd shipment *shudder* from the nintendo rep, when i went there there were no copies, i left the electronic section to see for something i needed to buy, returned 10 mins later and voila, they were putting games on the shelves and miracle, ToS is there! :D

Played ~8 hours so far, i love it a LOT, voice acting doesnt bother me at all, the graphics are "MARVELLOUS", sometimes when you stop, it looks downright like a 2d game with painted backgrounds. Graphics are very sharp, everything responds quick, from saving to loading, to accessing stats. Oh and the battles are a blast, boss are really hard too, kilia gave me a hard time, went back to leveling on the fields, then switched to Raine as the support in the group, made a huge difference, was still hard though.

Now im stuck in the 2nd human ranch, some stupid puzzle about warping on the right color pads or something.. i get to a green one which warps me to the left side of the ranch, climb the stairs and beat the guy, but there's absolutely nowhere to go, im totally lost.

belgurdo

Banned
Buggy Loop said:
Got my copy yesterday after walmart got their 2nd shipment *shudder* from the nintendo rep, when i went there there were no copies, i left the electronic section to see for something i needed to buy, returned 10 mins later and voila, they were putting games on the shelves and miracle, ToS is there! :D

Played ~8 hours so far, i love it a LOT, voice acting doesnt bother me at all, the graphics are "MARVELLOUS", sometimes when you stop, it looks downright like a 2d game with painted backgrounds. Graphics are very sharp, everything responds quick, from saving to loading, to accessing stats. Oh and the battles are a blast, boss are really hard too, kilia gave me a hard time, went back to leveling on the fields, then switched to Raine as the support in the group, made a huge difference, was still hard though.

Now im stuck in the 2nd human ranch, some stupid puzzle about warping on the right color pads or something.. i get to a green one which warps me to the left side of the ranch, climb the stairs and beat the guy, but there's absolutely nowhere to go, im totally lost.

If you're doing it right, you should be seeing item sparkles next to the pads when you flash your ring; take those pads to move on

Meier

Namco should have waited at least 1-2 months before announcing the PS2 version would be coming. Now you'll see people holding off for that one instead which will obviously hurt sales of the Cube version where the PS2 version wouldnt need any additional help.

apujanata

B.K. said:

IGN is not reporting it. It is just posting some rumour.

Say hello to our PlayStation 2 rumor report, PS2 Confidential -- our weekly exploration into the world of the rumors, gossip, and whispers that look at the future of everyone's favorite upright console

And with the popularity of RPGs at an all-time high, the decision to move ToS to America for the PS2 would be a smart decision; especially with its rumored spring 2005 U.S. release date -- the perfect time to cash-in on pre-Kingdom Hearts II mania.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/531/531110p1.html

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Meier said:
Namco should have waited at least 1-2 months before announcing the PS2 version would be coming. Now you'll see people holding off for that one instead which will obviously hurt sales of the Cube version where the PS2 version wouldnt need any additional help.

Why would an owner of a PS2 and gamcube hold off buying the GC version for the ps2 one? I dont think they would have bought a gamecube solely for ToS to begin with anyway.

Hopefully Namco will give some more RPG love to gamecube, or at least, N revolution. Next up, Baten Kaitos, if that one also sells higher than namco expects, it will put more confidence in namco making games on GC :D

Buggy Loop said:
Why would an owner of a PS2 and gamcube hold off buying the GC version for the ps2 one? I dont think they would have bought a gamecube solely for ToS to begin with anyway.

Well the PS2 version is going to have some extras so that'd be a reason to hold off on it. But considering there's no confirmation of a release of the PS2 version here so I doubt anyone will wait on it.

Brofist

Ok dumb ass question.for the people that use the term "my store"...how many of you actually mean as in store owner, and how many mean minimum wage peons at EB/Gamestop.

Soul4ger

kpop100 said:
Ok dumb ass question.for the people that use the term "my store"...how many of you actually mean as in store owner, and how many mean minimum wage peons at EB/Gamestop.

Minimum wage peon, at your service!

radcliff

I can't find this game anywhere. Toys R Us, Gamestop, EB, Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, Circuit City are all sold out of the game. I should note, however, that TRU said they only for 4 copies of the game. The guy there actually seemed a little upset about this as he said a lot of people have asked for this game and they could have sold a lot more.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Tell you bastards (j/k) what. I'll enjoy my ToS for the Cube NOW, and THEN, if Namco actually decides to release the Plus version on the PS2 stateside, I'll sell this one and upgrade. None of this waiting for something that probably won't even happen nonsense anyway.

Likewise, I don't see ToD2 or ToP GBA coming out here, though I'd kill for either. ToR... maybe. Hopefully.

Subitai

I got the last copy they had today at the GS I shop at. :)

Some poor guy came in asking for it right as I was checking out.

NWO

B.K. said:

Yeah its shipping the same day as Rebel X. :p

AniHawk

This game really has grown on me. Where I just really enjoyed the battle system (most fun in an RPG, I've had) in the first 10 hours, I've now grown to like the characters as well. Voice acting surprised me in that it was pretty well done, except for Colette (who borders on Shenmue and Grandia style voice acting for me).

Soul4ger

AniHawk said:
This game really has grown on me. Where I just really enjoyed the battle system (most fun in an RPG, I've had) in the first 10 hours, I've now grown to like the characters as well. Voice acting surprised me in that it was pretty well done, except for Colette (who borders on Shenmue and Grandia style voice acting for me).

I actually think Raine's the worst of the bunch.

Eric-GCA

Banned
I think Jennifer Hale voiced Collete just fine, she's good at playing the "innocent savior girl" as she did in say Grandia II.

I really think Cam Clarke could have done a better job as Kratos though, sure I wasn't expecting a Liquid Snake performance, but still, a little more emotion.

AniHawk

Eric-GCA said:
I think Jennifer Hale voiced Collete just fine, she's good at playing the "innocent savior girl" as she did in say Grandia II.

The voice fits fine, but I've noticed this habit of Collete ending things with her voice going down or up at the wrong moments. It makes her sound like a moron in the end, the way she never sounds sad or scared.

Kratos is probably the second least favorite for me. Cam Clarke really could have done better, but I guess he was told to fit the "always calm" mood of the character.

Hmm... I'm interested in ToS, but since I have quite a few other games to play still, now maybe I'll just wait until the PS2 version hits :p

I can't believe I had to go through three different EB here in the Tampa Bay just to find the game...
Its really nice to play a good RPG cause I just finish Xenosaga and Final Fantasy X and they left me a bit disappointed.
What the hell is wrong with RPG's this gen?

Now it's time for PS2 to collect the dust. :)

belgurdo

Banned
Soul4ger said:
I actually think Raine's the worst of the bunch.

I like Raine and how she tries to sound serious all the time, even when excited. Don't like Kratos too much, since Cam Clarke is basically using his Master Miller voice and is more or less phoning it in, unlike the other actors who seem to be trying harder.

Alcibiades

well, the game seems to be moving kinda slow at my Best Buy and Target...

I work at Best Buy and on the two busiest days of the week (Sat. and Sun.), it doesn't seem any copies were sold while I was there (zoning the videogame department, so I would have probably noticied). Also, Target (about a block away from Best Buy) seemed to have about 6 in stock, and it doesn't look they are moving too many copies...

Top Bottom