• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Insider Gaming] EXCLUSIVE – XDefiant is on Borrowed Time as Player Numbers Decline Rapidly

BlueLyria

Terrible updates mixed in with a bad UI and it took them too long to do anything with the movement (it's not classic cod or new cod, a strange hybrid where hopping 3 times with a smg is meta)

Classic UBI really

cormack12

Gold Member
Also The Finals.. This is why I always laugh at the idea that F2P is the panacea for GAAS games.

F2P guarantees that people will try, but it won't guarantee them staying and spending.
Yeah basically anyone chasing a GaaS now is too late. People will flock to a new high production game if its free just to try it but none of them last. You have to be truly unique or a completely new genre in the GaaS space, or be a familiar genre that has transferable skills.

It initially had my interest and I enjoyed it until the cracks began to show in updates. Terrible netcode, questionable abilities(Spider Bot anyone?) and lack of real balance in weaponry..

It doesn't have a chance with CoD coming.

Funnily, I know of one RECENT Sony game that is in desperate need of 20,000 players..lol

Last edited:

The_hunter

Been playing it this week, it's ps3 era COD technology wise. Game balance is decent. You can unlock stuff at a normal pace. All skins are locked behind insane grinds that you have to pay money for.

It's a good F2P cod game, but not much more.

Wonder how we're going to see this GaaS era in a few years.

Thank god companies like Remedy thought they should just stay on their lane and do what they do better.

StereoVsn

Been playing it this week, it's ps3 era COD technology wise. Game balance is decent. You can unlock stuff at a normal pace. All skins are locked behind insane grinds that you have to pay money for.

It's a good F2P cod game, but not much more.
The issue is that there are multiple actual COD games people can play. Why would they play ersatz COD when they can just play actual COD.

That’s the problem with all these GaaS attempts for the most part, they just don’t make sense and took too long to make and hard to support.

DryvBy

Tie a shooter behind a terrific shooter. COD is easily top even when it's bad and people like it because there's tons to do for everyone. Glad the GaaS scene is dying. All gamers can cheer this on.

Reave

It's not a terrible game, but it never stood a chance against Call of Duty. It'll be a ghost town when Black Ops 6 launches.

The_hunter

The issue is that there are multiple actual COD games people can play. Why would they play ersatz COD when they can just play actual COD.

That’s the problem with all these GaaS attempts for the most part, they just don’t make sense and took too long to make and hard to support.
Agree, they couldn't sell this today. It's cod if you don't have money for it.

None of the gameplay is locked, which is nice. But the game is not good enough for people to pay for it.

Last edited:

ManaByte

"It's F2P COD with out SBMM!"

Everyone:
Who Cares Tommy Lee Jones GIF

Banned
It's probably better these games end up failing. The quicker we move on the live service games, the better.

Still, its a shame that time and resources were even spent on this shit. I wonder how many good and great games we lost to this trend chasing bullshit.

I dabbled in Xdefiant on release and thought it was competent. But there was no hook, it didn't keep me.

On top of that, all of these f2p live service shooters are going to get slaughtered by Black Ops on game pass this fall anyway.

Yeah basically anyone chasing a GaaS now is too late. People will flock to a new high production game if its free just to try it but none of them last. You have to be truly unique or a completely new genre in the GaaS space, or be a familiar genre that has transferable skills.
This is why you cannot have a long development cycle on these type of games. You have to be able to churn them out every 2-3 years otherwise your gameplay will be too old and stale, and your cost of development is too high.

Last edited:

havoc00

I really wanted this to do well, I go back from time to time to play, but yea it’s not where it needs to be and I don’t think it will ever get there

Last edited:
Wait you mean no SBMM doesn't retain players? Shocked! Its almost like these companies get data and implement it for player retention, not so little timmy can think he's good pub stomping all day.

Mossybrew

I didn't even bother downloading this to check it out. Just not enough time in the day, and I already have plenty of other games I'm playing at any given time.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Wait you mean no SBMM doesn't retain players? Shocked! Its almost like these companies get data and implement it for player retention, not so little timmy can think he's good pub stomping all day.
Casuals are getting destroyed by sweats of course they aren't coming back

Spyxos

Gold Member
"Internally, optimism for the game has shifted primarily due to the game’s continuously declining player numbers and lack of player spending"

xdefiant-beta-round-win-lost.png

Who wants to spend money when the characters look like bored cosplayers? I played it a bit and had some fun, but it didn't hold me for long. There are simply far too many better options.

FewRope

I feel like we are truly living the end of the industry as we know it, not for XDefiant in particular but the chase of infinite money and the thought of every player having infinite time to play all of this trash F2P games. We are in for a ride, not a good one

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The one great thing about 2024 is that it will go down aa the industry defining ywar that this gaas shit and DEI pandering is not the way!

Mownoc

Ubisoft have been chasing F2P success for years and keep failing.

Hyperscape (shutdown after 1.5 years)
Project Q (cancelled)
The Division Heartlands (cancelled)
Ghost Recon Phantoms (shutdown after 2.5 years)
Ghost Recon Frontline (Cancelled)

I don't know how much money they've pumped into all these projects but they need to stop lol.

SkylineRKR

Characters look like shit, game doesn't play well. When I played it the hit detection was awful. The supers would almost never activate before the match ended. This game is just a waste of time. Just make a military F2P team deathmatch game, not this fucking hero shit.

Take most CoD games, and even at their worst they're better than stuff like this.

Preseznik

I play it every now and then (less than once a week probably), and it's the closest anyone's gotten to that COD feel recently.
Too bad they aimed for late 2000s COD feel and didn't even really hit that level.
Whenver I play XD and switch back to MWIII I feel like my legs have been untied.

Top Bottom