• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Insider Gaming] EXCLUSIVE – XDefiant is on Borrowed Time as Player Numbers Decline Rapidly

Felessan

The one great thing about 2024 is that it will go down aa the industry defining ywar that this gaas shit and DEI pandering is not the way!
It's not like gaas is failing, this year already has some success stories (zzz, 1st descendant, wuwa etc)
It's western developers who are failing at gaas. And that's understandable as only a few there know how to make a proper big gaas game-design wise and not line of 3 shit. Expertise in gaas is low there. Unlike asian devs who were making gaas stuff for mobile in proper genres for years, and they just upped their budgets and expand games to console/PC
But western devs will catch-up in 2-3 years, after a number of failures, because huge amount of money are on the table.

Robb

Gold Member
2ZAHX4I.jpeg

Glad the GaaS scene is dying.
It's not, though. It's just saturated with established titles that people are already invested in. This is basically what happened to MMOs in the late 2000s when World of Warcraft was at its peak and everyone was trying to get a slice of that pie by making clones of their own. Most of those either failed or never managed to reach the lofty goals devs and publishers set for them because people would play until they got bored, then head straight back to WoW.

Neolombax

You don't need stuff to grind for a game to be good. After all, the best games back in the good old days had everything unlocked from day one and it was up to the players to make their own fun.
Yep, completely understand this. Chasing after things, that sense of progression is my personal idea of fun. It was exciting during the preseason and at the start of season 1, but it wore off. The movement in general wasn't as smooth as compared to MW3, so there's that too.

Cyberpunkd

It's not, though. It's just saturated with established titles that people are already invested in. This is basically what happened to MMOs in the late 2000s when World of Warcraft was at its peak and everyone was trying to get a slice of that pie by making clones of their own. Most of those either failed or never managed to reach the lofty goals devs and publishers set for them because people would play until they got bored, then head straight back to WoW.
This. It makes no sense for someone invested in other GAAS to switch without a game providing anything unique or leveraging a massive and well-known IP in a GAAS format. All the games failing do not provide anything unique or compelling over other alternatives.

Zathalus

GaaS market for certain genres are reaching saturation point. Why play new game X when old game Y has been out for years and has way more content and a massive community.

Pakoe

I gave it a chance since COD has burned me out, but the game has too many issues.

Netcode is shit, devs keep stating this is an engine issue. Prolly will never get fixed.

"Skills" dont require any skill. Press Q to win is annoying. Fucking spider that facefucks you without any counter. Wallhacks, instant molotov kills suck.

Movement is annoying. I can live with jumpshots and sliding but allowing movement in air is just wild.

The game lacks content, 2 maps per season is not enough. The game could use unserious modes like prop hunt. Why are there no actual characters of the IPs they use?

No SBMM was fine, i could hold a positive KD and it was nice having actual random games.

Its sad but a matter of time before this died.

SJRB

Gold Member
Almost feel bad for Ubi at this point. They want a successful GaaS-game so badly but they just keep failing. Insane amount of time and money down the drain.

How’s Skull and Bones doing these days?

"Internally, optimism for the game has shifted primarily due to the game’s continuously declining player numbers and lack of player spending"

xdefiant-beta-round-win-lost.png

Who wants to spend money when the characters look like bored cosplayers? I played it a bit and had some fun, but it didn't hold me for long. There are simply far too many better options.
Going with three character sets in each faction rather than a set hero was a mistake. I get the desire to be different, but I can't think of a worse mistake in your hero shooter than not making your heroes memorable and charismatic. Apex and Overwatch got things right by putting the sort of personality into their characters that creates fans who want to see them looking their best. And then you have games like Fortnite and The First Descendant where you see your character in 3rd person, which is arguably an even stronger incentive to make your character look cool.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Game was announced in 2021 and didn't officially release for 3 years. Why it took so long to come out with a multiplayer FPS, with multiple delays, is beyond me but if they got it out in 2022 it likely would have done fine. The real problem is Ubi is really not that good at making and releasing games anymore.

hyperbertha

Ubisoft have been chasing F2P success for years and keep failing.

Hyperscape (shutdown after 1.5 years)
Project Q (cancelled)
The Division Heartlands (cancelled)
Ghost Recon Phantoms (shutdown after 2.5 years)
Ghost Recon Frontline (Cancelled)

I don't know how much money they've pumped into all these projects but they need to stop lol.
They've still got rainbow six. Which is a pretty decent game with great amounts of content. Quality works.

Tie a shooter behind a terrific shooter. COD is easily top even when it's bad and people like it because there's tons to do for everyone. Glad the GaaS scene is dying. All gamers can cheer this on.

I honestly think COD is top just because it's what people are used to now. I doubt most who play COD want to spend their time in a new game trying to learn the mechanics and "get good" again. Kind of why another hero shooter doesn't work for me. I liker hero shooters but I'm good at OW and I know all the mechanics. Hard to get into a new one and learn everything about it from scratch when I can just play OW.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I was hoping to satisfy my need for cod with this good clone when my gamepass expires, but I don't think it will last that long. When the player count drops, they will lose fast matchmaking and it will only get worse.

Parazels

Developers should take a break on making these cloned multiplayer games until inventing something really innovative.

BlueLyria

It initially had my interest and I enjoyed it until the cracks began to show in updates. Terrible netcode, questionable abilities(Spider Bot anyone?) and lack of real balance in weaponry..

It doesn't have a chance with CoD coming.

Funnily, I know of one RECENT Sony game that is in desperate need of 20,000 players..lol
God spiderbots are such a terribly designed skill, specially considering the netcode.

Lack of SBMM definitely hurt this game too, people like to complain about cod sbmm, but it's there for a reason

sachos

I wonder what is the individual sentiment amongst devs when it comes to GaaS, how many of them would rather be developing a classic single player experience.

MayauMiao

"Internally, optimism for the game has shifted primarily due to the game’s continuously declining player numbers and lack of player spending"

xdefiant-beta-round-win-lost.png

Who wants to spend money when the characters look like bored cosplayers? I played it a bit and had some fun, but it didn't hold me for long. There are simply far too many better options.
Its like Concord cast of characters but is set at 30% of DEI.

fatmarco

The fact this game was, and fundamentally still is, Tom Clancy branded, and they did this with it.

I mean you hate to see it when companies decide to shit on beloved IP just to make more GAAS slop crash and burn...

After all, the best games back in the good old days had everything unlocked from day one and it was up to the players to make their own fun.
Times have changed man, that’s why it’s better in today’s age for games to simply offer a PvE mode so that maybe the older gamers stick around longer.

kevboard

I don't understand why being a cod clone is a selling point? wouldn't i just play cod?

this is far better than any of the recent CoD games.
for one the menu is actually designed by a normal person and not an alien that doesn't understand UX design.
it also controls better (especially on controller)
and most importantly, it has no match manipulation aka. """"Skill Based"""" Matchmaking, which in reality is EOMM (Engagement Oriented Matchmaking) that literally makes you lose on purpose to keep a certain win ratio which the devs, with the help of psychologists (no joke), put into place to keep the most average players happy for as long as possible.

Top Bottom