• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intelligence backs claim Iraq tried to buy uranium

Status
Not open for further replies.

darscot

I love how all you ever need to say is there is evidence, yet never have to produce it. "Inteligence claims", basically means we want you to believe it but have no prove.

Phoenix

However, the European investigation suggested that it was the smugglers who were actively looking for markets, though it was unclear how far the deals had progressed and whether deliveries of uranium were made.

So essentially the situation is the same as someone trying to sell me drugs and the police arresting me for trying to buy drugs - at least according to this story.

Drensch

Those articles are pretty much all conjecture, not to mention that Blair's boys have held on to that fleeting idea in the face of contrary evidence. But if it were true it kinda makes
the Bushies attack on Valerie Plame even more vindictive.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Imminent? Possibly...

If Nigeria took a leaf out of the Pizza company marketing manual & offered a "Delivery in 45 minutes or your order is free" incentive...

:p

Freeburn.

Ripclawe

Banned
followup. I am not surprised the CIA screwed up .. Joe Wilson lied like a motherfucker.

The report also said Wilson provided misleading information to The Washington Post last June. He said then that he concluded the Niger intelligence was based on documents that had clearly been forged because "the dates were wrong and the names were wrong."

Watch the post throw his ass in the fire, that means all that nonsense Walter Pincus wrote was false.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A39834-2004Jul9?language=printer

and this proves french involvement and why I hate the state department.

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGB62OSSGWD.html

skip

"Tried to buy" isn't the same thing as "Did buy."

"tried to kill" isn't the same thing as "did kill", yet people are put on trial and punished for both. you make good dissenting points sometimes, but this isn't one of 'em.

at what point do you stop the attempt?

1. thinking about buying
2. trying to buy
3. buying
4. using purchase

xsarien

daedsiluap
skip said:
"tried to kill" isn't the same thing as "did kill", yet people are put on trial and punished for both. you make good dissenting points sometimes, but this isn't one of 'em.

at what point do you stop the attempt?

1. thinking about buying
2. trying to buy
3. buying
4. using purchase

We didn't stop jack shit, the point is that Iraq never got the yellowcake, which is what we claimed. Hell, it's right there in the second article Ripclawe linked to:

Mayaki told Wilson he met with the Iraqis but steered the discussion away from commercial activity because he did not want to deal with a country under United Nations sanctions.

All of that information came to Washington long before an Italian journalist gave U.S. officials copies of documents purporting to show an agreement from Niger to sell uranium to Baghdad. Those documents have been determined to be forgeries.

Ripclawe

Banned
xsarien said:
We didn't stop jack shit, the point is that Iraq never got the yellowcake, which is what we claimed. Hell, it's right there in the second article Ripclawe linked to:

thats not exactly correct it seems and last I checked the 16 words that everyone bitched about and wilson said was a lie

"The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa."

so what you claimed they claimed is not what was claimed.

skip

xsarien said:

the legitimacy of the documents wasn't known at the time, so my question is still valid. removing it from the context of Iraq 2002/3 for a moment, at what point do you step in to the process? sounds like you'd answer #3...

xsarien

daedsiluap
In cases like this, in cases where contraband is involved, that's generally how it works. Police officers often make arrests *after* the drug sale is completed, because that's what the law dictates.

The larger issue is that the legitimacy of the documents was known at the time, yet they somehow found their way into the State of the Union, among other speeches given by senior cabinet members.

Oops.

Ripclawe

Banned
xsarien said:
In cases like this, in cases where contraband is involved, that's generally how it works. Police officers often make arrests *after* the drug sale is completed, because that's what the law dictates.

The larger issue is that the legitimacy of the documents was known at the time, yet they somehow found their way into the State of the Union, among other speeches given by senior cabinet members.

Oops.

the legitmacy of a set of documents was found out to be false, but the brits and french stood by their analysis because of different sets of evidence, now we find out that the CIA and the state department screwed up the president because they did not do their work..or in the state department case I figure they refused.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Ripclawe said:
the legitmacy of a set of documents was found out to be false, but the brits and french stood by their analysis because of different sets of evidence

Yeah, and Bush is standing by that WMD bullshit. Funny, huh?

, now we find out that the CIA and the state department screwed up the president because they did not do their work..or in the state department case I figure they refused.

I don't think anyone's denying the CIA's role in this mess, but tell me, where does the buck stop?

Ripclawe

Banned
xsarien said:
Yeah, and Bush is standing by that WMD bullshit. Funny, huh?

I don't think anyone's denying the CIA's role in this mess, but tell me, where does the buck stop?

CIA and the worldwide intelligence community given the facts.

straws.jpg

reaching-hands.jpg

FightyF

Banned
now we find out that the CIA and the state department screwed up the president because they did not do their work

Or rather that the President asked them to find ANYTHING that would show Iraq as a threat to the US. While asking, he did his usual wink, which gave them license to do anything. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom