• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interesting Interview with EA

SantaC

Swedish magazine Superplay (http://www.superplay.se) has done an excellent
interview with EA. The game empire. I translated it for your reading pleasures who don't know swedish.

Superplay's Interview with Jeff Brown (Director of corporate communications)

I didn't translate every question, because it was too much. Excuse my grammar also :)

Q: Many see EA as an evil company which in resemblance of etc MS kills the creativity in the gaming industry. Do you see any reason for people saying something that like?

A: Yes I do. And that's something we think about a lot in EA. You have to understand that this company turn over 3.5 billion dollars annually, which make us a huge company. We're even the biggest in Europe. But when you work at a studio in EA, you don't have responsibility for 3.5 billion, you have responsibility for the game you create. You put down all your creative talent and soul for games like Fifa, NHL, and Bond.

I am not so worried that EA is a big and clumsy company. EA is like a federation of contractors, many small companies in one place. Each of us run their own company.

One thing that worries me is the lack of competition. One of the best things that happened to us the last 5 years is that Konami did a really good Soccer game. Nobody really paid attention to it.

We thought we had the best soccer game, so we relaxed. During 2000, and 2001 we fell asleep, and they who created and sold the game also fell asleep. It wasn't until Konami's market value raised a lot thanks to this game; we became awake and realized we got to do something.

Same thing happened with Madden in the USA. Sega did a really good football game, and said they would challenge us, and everybody in EA, (florida to canada) worked hard to correct the mistakes we have done to get us back on track.

I am not worried that EA continues to grow; I just wished that there was something in every genre that challenged us. Etc Call of Duty. These guys made a really good shooter, and frighten the life out of our Medal of Honor studio in LA. There is nothing as motivating as competition.

(Jumping some questions)

Q: One of the reasons that EA are accused of milking the market on money is because you release yearly updates of your best selling games.

A: They do the same thing in Premier League! Every year they play soccer in the same way, even if the players are exchanged, year after year. What should we do? Skip a season? On a more serious note, I guess you mean our sports games that are released yearly. People are demanding it, and still want it since we are selling very well of them.

As people are walking to the arena, they walk to the game store and buy a new EA game. It's obvious in sports games, but it's not so obvious in etc Bond games. We used to create a new bond game when a new movie came out. About every 4th year. Demand is ruling this development. People want more bond games, they like it.

Much of Electronic Arts success is built on renewing license and brands. Instead of making a game, and go further on with the next game, we try to see every title as potential franchise.

If we make a medal of honor that is successful, we won’t go further with etc a space game.
We do it again, we move to a new place, and make new levels. If you liked the last one, you will love the new one. The developers are getting better for each day, and the games get better where the demand is.

Of course there are exceptions. Lara Croft franchise as an example. They just didn't release the same game every year; they released new games that were worse. Even at our place there are new games that are worse than old ones.

Q: License games have a tendency to sell it self. Especially your bond games have been mediocre, but have sold well. Doesn't it feel bad that a much better game without a famous character at the cover will be suffering?

A: A fantastic game that didn't sell that well was Prince of Persia. Year before that I loved Ratchet and Clank, a game that sank like a stone the day it was released. It didn't sell at all. It was a pity.

They who buy the consoles when they are first released are hardcore gamers. If they have succeed releasing PoP when only the hardcore gamers owned the consoles it would have been the best selling game. Worse figures, but at a better percentage.

When they consoles get cheaper, people who never played games before starts buying games. And what does it make someone that never bought a game before? Do they buy Splinter Cell or Zone of the enders? No they are afraid of them because they think they're hardcore. These people buy games they recognize. They know what Bond does.

Q: You mean there is no place for the hardcore gamer?

A: No, quite the opposite. Our business concept was built for people who bought 15 games a year. What a I meant is that as a publisher you got to identify your target audience. If you are well aware that you create gamers for the hardcore audience, and are happy with 500,000 ex, and can get some kind of economy of that. Congratulations.

I think Ubisoft expected a lot more from PoP.

(Jumping some questions)

Q: How does Electronic Arts look at next generation?

A: First of all you have to be aware that PS2 will have a very long tail. When PS3 is released we still think that PS2 are attractive for developers and gamers. Sony thinks that there will be games on the current generation to 2010. We don't see any reason to doubt that. We think they are correct.

One year after PS2 was released, we did a harry potter game to all formats, inclusive PS1. It still sold 10 million ex! It was then we knew that there was a market for old consoles. So we wont stop making games for PS2 and Xbox in a long time.

Another aspect is that we must do two things at the same time. Develope games for the old machines, and to the new.

The day PS3 and Xbox2 are released, Fifa and Need for Speed must be there at the same day! We think our size is an advantage. Not many companies are able to make that transition.

Q: What do you think of the outcome in the next gen consoles?

A: Well say what you want about Xbox, it might been taken a beating this generation, but MS learn quickly. They learn by their mistakes and wont do them again. We think that MS will do a lot better with xbox2. They won’t beat Sony and PS3, but they will definitely be bigger.

(Jumping some questions)

Q: You are known for keeping your deadlines, even if there are exceptions. Do you see any problem with this strict policy? I know some examples that would have been better with longer development time.

A: Absolutely. I think about The sims online, that would have needed another 6 months in development. It's because of that we have softened a bit. Earlier we haven't allowed a day of delay. Now we allow some delays in order to not make the same mistakes again.

What we do when we meet our deadlines is that we fly in people from the whole world (that works with a product), double the amount of people and their work hours. Sometimes we even take help from people outside in order to finish our product.

When people in a development team just want to add another car or some extra courses, we say no. Only three more months they say. You get 18 months, and throw in that car in the next game instead.

Q: It's quite the opposite with Valve and Bungie who says they are finished when they are done.

A: Yeah from the beginning it was a Japanese thing to say when it's done. In some way it's a disservice for those who buy the game if Bungie had made a game between the last one and that one who is coming in November. Would you have bought it?

Q: Yes but...

Exactly. If they say that there would only have a few upgrades? I would have bought it anyway. They could have done it. They should have done it. At EA we would have done it. To let people wait for 4 years sucks! I would have bought a new game annually from Bungie. They have a philosophy that works for them, and the game will be awesome when it comes out. I don't care if it's not the same as the last game, I would have loved it anyway. The consumers don’t take any damage that games in a serie are released every year. Quite the opposite.

(Jumping some questions)

Q: What I think is fascinating is that you can buy an optional license game from EA, and it might not the the greatest game, but it wont be bad either.

A: I agree. An EA game is like an Audi, or a grander Saab. It’s not the fastest or most luxury car, but when you turn the start key it will work, and it will go forward. It's a reliable car. With the thought what a car costs, who wants to take a chance and risk a bad and glitchy game? Building a confidence in our customers is important.

Q: Is that something you are proud of? To have a high lowest level, with few extra special games?

A: I think the special games are here. The sims made a genre of its own. NFSU was the best racing game last year, and for several years Medal of Honor have been the best shooter on the market.

At the same time I don’t think that you buy an EA game for that Doom feeling. ”Wow I have never seen anything like it” It’s nothing that you experience with our games. Instead, you’ll enjoy many entertaining gaming hours, and you don’t need to feel cheated. It’s respect towards the buyers. It’s not a bad philosophy, and I will not say I am sorry for it. We have 3 billion on the bank every year that proves it.

bogg

Q: It's quite the opposite with Valve and Bungie who says they are finished when they are done.

A: Yeah from the beginning it was a Japanese thing to say when it's done. In some way it's a disservice for those who buy the game if Bungie had made a game between the last one and that one who is coming in November. Would you have bought it?

Exactly. If they say that there would only have a few upgrades? I would have bought it anyway. They could have done it. They should have done it. At EA we would have done it. To let people wait for 4 years sucks! I would have bought a new game annually from Bungie. They have a philosophy that works for them, and the game will be awesome when it comes out. I don't care if it's not the same as the last game, I would have loved it anyway. The consumers don’t take any damage that games in a serie are released every year. Quite the opposite.
That's sad :(. Bah EA sucks.

SantaCruZer said:

LOL!

From a business standpoint, he's absolutlely right. From a game designers perspective, it's exactly what's wrong with the industry.

Thank goodness for the guys like those at Bungie, Shiggy, Kojima, & Kazunori

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
From a business standpoint, he's absolutlely right. From a game designers perspective, it's exactly what's wrong with the industry.

Thank goodness for the guys like those at Bungie, Shiggy, Kojima, & Kazunori
Eh, there's room for both the perfectionists and the more "incremental" creators. In fact, it just reflects differences in the way some people work. Not everyone feels the need to hold onto something until its absolutely "perfect", nor should they have. You can hardly blame developers for wanting to work with the regular feedback of a large audience rather than work in a relative vaccuum of feedback for several years at a time.

gtmax

Yeah regarding that quote...PD did exactly what the guy from EA said, except they shafted the US. Since GT3 they've released GTC, GTC:Geneva and now GTP. They guy is right that it does suck to have to wait 4 years for a sequel.

Dev teams shoudl get subteams to continually work on a game to speed up its sequel release time.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Asking tough questions, about time the games media tried that.

I expect smaller companies not to mention Nintendo, it's the thing to do, but for a guy from EA to do it...I find that very surprising. And worrying for Nintendo.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I'd venture that the market for 2D fighting games is considerably smaller than that for Madden, FIFA et al. Plus EA had the common decency to switch to hi-res several years ago. :p

Mrbob

This is a very good read.

The interviewer should have received this guys thoughts on Duke Nukem Forever.

B E N K E

It's interesting how Superplay has become more of a trade magazine. They do a "mainstream issue" and it focuses on the business side of things. I don't really get that.

It was Thomas who did that interview right? He's very good...

Alex

"The sims made a genre of its own. NFSU was the best racing game last year, and for several years Medal of Honor have been the best shooter on the market."

Ick, no.

My general feeling about licensing is that it strips the freshness and life from video gaming as a media unto itself. To make a game just part of a film's merchandising generally just serves to push the film not advance gaming. Of course there are still great games to be made from film licenses but that same game would be great if you stripped the license off it.

One thing I do think EA has done to the industry that is positive is that it has made it more professional. Development is more akin to movies and release dates are more set in stone. Right now it is still a little sketchy but it is forcing the industry to adopt a more professional production line where decisions are made and followed and the developers are held responsible.

Too many games in the last 10 years have started as one thing and ended up as another pissing away too much money, not selling well, and serving to near bankrupt companies. The...when it's done attitude just doesn't cut it now that budgets are so high. Designers need to have their shit together from day one.

aku:jiki

B E N K E said:
It's interesting how Superplay has become more of a trade magazine. They do a "mainstream issue" and it focuses on the business side of things. I don't really get that.
They want to be Edge Light. Simple as that.

Althought I do agree Thomas is one of the best we have. He's also the guy who wrote the huge Naughty Dog article everyone cited as a source for the first Jak III confirmation, if you guys recall.

Shinobi

DavidDayton said:
I think EA is trying to become the oatmeal of video games.

What's wrong with oatmeal damnit...

Pretty good interview...not only were the questions good, but the replies were pretty blunt in some places as well.

Acrylamid

Warm Machine said:
One thing I do think EA has done to the industry that is positive is that it has made it more professional. Development is more akin to movies and release dates are more set in stone.
So? Prostitutes have made sex more professional.
Release dastes not being set in stones is often a good thing, imo. Just look at Super Mario 64 which delayed a whole system launch and ended up as one of the best and most polished games ever.

Acrylamid said:
Release dastes not being set in stones is often a good thing, imo. Just look at Super Mario 64 which delayed a whole system launch and ended up as one of the best and most polished games ever.
I think a certain Duke proves you to be way fucking wrong, man.

Acrylamid said:
I can't be proven wrong as long as DNF isn't released (or is cancelled).
Yeah, but you could be playing an awesome DNF3 or even 4 by now if they would've had a decent project leader.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
EA Respect +1

They're damn vampires, but at least they got the balls to admit it ('cause they know no one, including DarienA, can do a damn thing about it) :)

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Shinobi said:
What's wrong with oatmeal . . .
Pretty good interview...not only were the questions good, but the replies were pretty blunt in some places as well.

Oatmeal gets the job done, but it's generally rather bland, tasteless, and dull... and no matter who makes it, oatmeal is pretty much the same everywhere.

tralfazz

I don't have a problem with this guy's responses. I thought it was all common knowledge or at least assumed. I enjoy EA's games. As I've grown up I have switched from hardcore to occasional gamer so yeah the games are not spectacular but they kill a few hours here and there. As the guy said they are not aimed to hardcore gamers and that's where a lot of the EA hate comes from. I think there is room for the EA's AND the Bungie's of the world and so does this guy.

Zaptruder

Banned
Their business model is all good and well...

but ultimately I think their presence and attitude drains the industry.

Specifically their attitude towards rehashing percieved successes vs coming up with a new game/franchise.

If they kept expanding on original franchises, and maybe had a stable of high quality developers (like they did along time ago) that didn't compromise on quality, I think people would have alot less ire for them.

Unfortunately, they've taken many great independent companies, bought them over and tried to apply their model of success to those games, but made a mess of them and ground them into the dust. If EA bought Blizzard... you'd very well see the same thing happening to them as with Origin, Bullfrog, Westwood, etc.

Korranator

Great post.

Finally a real interview that asks the hard questions. The rest of the gaming media should take notes.

After reading that interview I see everything that is wrong with the way the games are currently made. Sure it currently sells, but in the long run it will make everything stale.

I wish they would have talked about there recent purchase of Criterion, which developed Renderware, and how many smaller developers are now closing shop since what used to be shareware, now has a big price that EA controls.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I can just imagine EA trying to sign Valve to a publishing deal.

EA: OK, this should be great. We'll publish a new installment every year.
Gabe: Sure... wait, what?
EA: You know, annual releases.
Gabe: Why would we want to do that?
EA: You would make a lot more money that way.
Gabe: We already have a lot of money. I used to work at Microsoft!
EA: But you'll be able to make even more money this way.
Gabe: Yeah, but we'd rather just fuck with people and release a game every six years or so.
EA: This meeting is over.
Gabe: Shit, I think I left the keys to my BMW dangling on the driver's side door.

Capcom release their games annually and people don’t seem to appreciate it… :(

There's annual, and then there's overkill. ;-)

bonesquad

Bah! I'm so sick of the EA bashing. They publish way too many good games for me to bad mouth them. Sure they have some duds, but even Nintendo has duds. (True!)

I'll only worry when they become the only sports game publisher out there. And even then only if quality drops.

I don't see the big deal if they do come out with a new version every year. No one said you had to buy it. And I really dont think its taking away resources from other game development. EA is too big. So what's the problem? That smaller game developers are over looked? I dont think that's EA's fault.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Ug, EA is to the games industry what pop is to the music industry, and the worst part is, they know it. :-/

Acrylamid

Ghost said:
Ug, EA is to the games industry what pop is to the music industry, and the worst part is, they know it. :-/
True, but why are they calling themselves Electronic Arts?
Electronic Consumer Goods would be much more appropriate.

Shinobi

DavidDayton said:
Oatmeal gets the job done, but it's generally rather bland, tasteless, and dull... and no matter who makes it, oatmeal is pretty much the same everywhere.

Bah...oatmeal with brown sugar owns you!

Still, I see your point...don't disagree with it either.

What EA is doing now is no different to what gaming has always been. Games have been getting rehashed and released with licensed since the days of the NES. The only difference is that gaming is bigger, more expensive, and that EA is a dominant force in publishing, whereas before they were simply one of the biggest dogs in the yard.

B E N K E

EA will be somewhat humbled this holiday season. Last year their titles were unopposed, this year there is no way they can maintain the same market share.

Shinobi

EA could lose half their market share and still be the #1 publisher by a mile. Not quite what I'd call being humbled.

Besides, I'm sure EA knew last year was an anomaly...damn near every big release on tap for fall last year got shifted to this year, including Ninja Gaiden, Halo 2 and Half Life 2. So EA took advantage of the holes that others might have had, and filled in the gaps.

FightyF

Banned
We thought we had the best soccer game, so we relaxed. During 2000, and 2001 we fell asleep, and they who created and sold the game also fell asleep. It wasn't until Konami's market value raised a lot thanks to this game; we became awake and realized we got to do something.

Same thing happened with Madden in the USA. Sega did a really good football game, and said they would challenge us, and everybody in EA, (florida to canada) worked hard to correct the mistakes we have done to get us back on track.

I love how they don't mention hockey, where they've been getting consistantly raped every year.

Top Bottom