• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

If you tap "load earlier messages" a dozen times, then search for the message and click on it, it'll go to it if you loaded it in the messages app before hand. So tedious though.

hirokazu

If you tap "load earlier messages" a dozen times, then search for the message and click on it, it'll go to it if you loaded it in the messages app before hand. So tedious though.

Didn't know it'd do that. That's just dumb, LOL.

Messages on OS X is similarly dumb, it only returns ONE result per conversation.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
It's always worked for me.

/NeoGAF

Honestly though I've never had any problems with it ever since it was first introduced in the iOS 5 betas on OSX, using Windows now, on either my 4S, 5 or iPad 3.

Megasoum

Banned
So what's the best app to stream videos over network?

I see that XBMC is available but only with jailbreak (I've never jailbroken any ios devices). Is it worth it?

pxleyes

Banned

I see that XBMC is available but only with jailbreak (I've never jailbroken any ios devices). Is it worth it?
I'm a huge fan of AirVideo. Hasn't let me down yet, and it even works remotely if you set it up that way.

Noema

I'm a huge fan of AirVideo. Hasn't let me down yet, and it even works remotely if you set it up that way.

AirVideo is great. Works beautifully. It even transcodes videos that don't normally play on iOS while it streams them.

And like mentioned, it works via LAN and also over the Internet.

AirVideo is great. Works beautifully. It even transcodes videos that don't normally play on iOS while it streams them.

And like mentioned, it works via LAN and also over the Internet.

I totally forgot i owned this. I need to set it up on my laptop again now that i have a PC with a decent cpu that doesnt wheeze while trying to transcode.

mooooose

XBMC is incredibly worth it. I loaded up my mini with XVID/DIVX encodes of Simpsons and Seinfeld this week, and they play natively with tons of options. You can stream from FTP/SMB/whatever the fuck you want. It's amazing.

Megasoum

Banned
I checked AirVideo. Looks interesting but I'd love to avoid having to install an app on my pc too.

Looks like XBMC is the best choice then. Now I just need to wait for the 6.1.3 jailbreak.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
XBMC is incredibly worth it. I loaded up my mini with XVID/DIVX encodes of Simpsons and Seinfeld this week, and they play natively with tons of options. You can stream from FTP/SMB/whatever the fuck you want. It's amazing.
Also, if jailbreaking isnt an option, use Buzz Player off the App Store (bf uses AV Player HD) works fine for smb/FTP etc shares and divx/mkv.

Plex has been great for me and you don't have to have anything jailbroken to use it. I just use Airplay from the app.

I only use XBMC on tv and iPad for watching sports streams.

Megasoum

Banned
Plex has been great for me and you don't have to have anything jailbroken to use it. I just use Airplay from the app.

I only use XBMC on tv and iPad for watching sports streams.

Yeah but like Air Video you need to install a local server which I would like to avoid if possible.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but does anyone get magazines on their iDevice? I'm thinking of getting a magazine subscription on my iPad, but I'm not sure what people think. I could get an in print sub, but it's more expensive (obviously). Anyone have thoughts?

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but does anyone get magazines on their iDevice? I'm thinking of getting a magazine subscription on my iPad, but I'm not sure what people think. I could get an in print sub, but it's more expensive (obviously). Anyone have thoughts?

I have like a dozen subscriptions with Zinio. Great library, and reads well on my iPad, PC and even on my Nexus 7.

I subbed to Reason Magazine through the Kindle store for quite a while. Worked well enough for that. Not sure how it handles things that are more photo-centric.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
So I had to get my iPhone4S replaced.. and now I am having issues.

Before I did anything, I made a backup to my computer's iTunes from my old phone.

But when I restore from backup to my new phone, some apps are missing, like Tempo. For some reason they aren't in my iTunes app section either.

:/

I am also having issues logging into my gmail through the regular Mail app. It keeps giving me an error. Does Exchange not work anymore now that I have replaced my phone?

Noema

So I had to get my iPhone4S replaced.. and now I am having issues.

Before I did anything, I made a backup to my computer's iTunes from my old phone.

But when I restore from backup to my new phone, some apps are missing, like Tempo. For some reason they aren't in my iTunes app section either.

Are you in the US? Apparently the App was pulled from other regional stores recently. It's not in the Mexican store, and it sure as hell was when it was first released.

Have you tried downloading it from your purchase history?

If not, can you download it via this link? (should open the App in iTunes).

I am also having issues logging into my gmail through the regular Mail app. It keeps giving me an error. Does Exchange not work anymore now that I have replaced my phone?

What error are you getting? You should be fine as long as you restored from a backup.

frico

Exchange was tied to you device and no new devices can sign up for it after Jan 30th. You either have to use the gmail app for push or just use fetch if you use mail.app

Ovid

I have print subscriptions to GQ, The Economist, Newsweek and Bloomberg Businessweek. Digital subscriptions are available for free with my print subscription. It's cheaper to get the print subscription w/available digital edition than ordering directly through iTunes or Zinio.

Particle Physicist

Exchanges was tied to you device and no new devices can sign up for it after Jan 30th. You either have to use the gmail app for push or just use fetch if you use mail.app

Fuck you google. >(

Are you in the US? Apparently the App was pulled from other regional stores recently. It's not in the Mexican store, and it sure as hell was when it was first released.

Have you tried downloading it from your purchase history?

If not, can you download it via this link? (should open the App in iTunes).

Yeah, I am in the US. It's not just that app, but others as well. Why weren't they transfered to my computer when I synced my old phone?

Noema

Exchange was tied to you device and no new devices can sign up for it after Jan 30th. You either have to use the gmail app for push or just use fetch if you use mail.app

Crap, I thought that it would just impede new accounts to be set as EAS, but apparently it's tied to your phone's serial number.

Seems Google is really intent on iOS users sticking to their own Gmail App. Which I rather dislike.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Holy $&#%, come on... That's just incredibly shitty move from Google. This will probably make me switch over to outlook.com completely with next iphone. Mail.app is basically a perfect app right now that can check every mail account in existence it seems. I simply don't want to use another one on top of it when this one works so well.

Particle Physicist

Crap, I thought that it would just impede new accounts to be set as EAS, but apparently it's tied to your phone's serial number.

Seems Google is really intent on iOS users sticking to their own Gmail App. Which I rather dislike.

I would use it, but I also have a work exchange account and I really hate having two apps for email. Same goes for that Mailbox app. :/

Noema

Holy $&#%, come on... That's just incredibly shitty move from Google. This will probably make me switch over to outlook.com completely with next iphone. Mail.app is basically a perfect app right now that can check every mail account in existence it seems. I simply don't want to use another one on top of it when this one works so well.

Google's official stance on the matter is that they don't want to pay Microsoft for the EAS licensing fees anymore since it was a small minority who set up Gmail with EAS accounts on iOS and Windows Phone devices. Gmail EAS won't work with Windows 8's built-in mail client either.

Unofficially, it's easy to assume that they want more control over iOS users, something they can't get as easily from Mail.App (they can enforce more policies and, more importantly, prevent you from wiping your emails, instead of just 'archiving' them).

This might make me shift away from Gmail. Truth be told, outlook.com works very well on iOS devices and at least they are not dropping EAS anytime soon (hey, it's their own technology).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Google's official stance on the matter is that they don't want to pay Microsoft for the EAS licensing fees anymore since it was a small minority who set up Gmail with EAS accounts on iOS and Windows Phone devices.

Unofficially, it's easy to assume that they want more control over iOS users, something they can't get as easily from Mail.App.

This might make me shift away from Gmail. Truth be told, outlook.com works very well on iOS devices and at least they are not dropping EAS anytime soon (hey, it's their own technology).
Yeah, I was reading about that, but I also read that those licenses are paid per-user, so if such a small number of users are using it, then what's the problem. Default Gmail support on iphone has always sucked, I saw exchange more as a saviour than anything. If it wasn't for it, I don't know if I'd continue using gmail all these years to be honest

Vyer

Google's official stance on the matter is that they don't want to pay Microsoft for the EAS licensing fees anymore since it was a small minority who set up Gmail with EAS accounts on iOS and Windows Phone devices. Gmail EAS won't work with Windows 8's built-in mail client either.

Unofficially, it's easy to assume that they want more control over iOS users, something they can't get as easily from Mail.App (they can enforce more policies and, more importantly, prevent you from wiping your emails, instead of just 'archiving' them).

Yeah, the gmail app is nice, but I've begun experimenting more with using outlook.com as well. Losing EAS support the next time I have to set up will just push me to integrate outlook more.

Particle Physicist

How does outlook.com compare to gmail? Can you create tags and whatnot in a similar fashion?

I might switch because of this.

Quick

Banned
What's everyone's verdict on the 5th iPod Touch? I'm looking into picking one up.

I have an iPhone 4S, but it doesn't have enough space for my music.

What's everyone's verdict on the 5th iPod Touch? I'm looking into picking one up.

I have an iPhone 4S, but it doesn't have enough space for my music.

If you have a Desktop get the stream2me app and just stream it or invest in iTunes match.

Either that or just save the money and get a larger GB iphone when the 5S is available. No reason to carry 2 devices.

Quick

Banned
If you have a Desktop get the stream2me app and just stream it or invest in iTunes match.

Either that or just save the money and get a larger GB iphone when the 5S is available. No reason to carry 2 devices.

Perhaps, but I like keeping my phone and MP3 player separate (weird? Maybe).

Right now, it boils down to another iPod Touch or an iPod Classic.

Perhaps, but I like keeping my phone and MP3 player separate (weird? Maybe).

Right now, it boils down to another iPod Touch or an iPod Classic.

Fair enough. If I could get down to just having my phone and not needing car keys or a wallet I'd love that. Just one less thing for me to forget or misplace lol.

If that's the case then it's a tough call. If you just want it for music/movies Id say 4th gen 32GB since it's cheaper or a Classic assuming you wont be doing anything that would risk the HDD.

JonnyBrad

You can keep your Gmail account and just use Outlook.com as an Exchange Server conduit for your mail:
http://blogs.office.com/b/microsoft...rom-gmail-to-outlook-com-in-5-easy-steps.aspx

There are a few things they would have to add to outlook to move me over.

Ability to change the name that is sending from each send mail address. You have to change the name on the full account with outlook whereas you can change names per send address on gmail.

2 Step authentication. They only offer it to people they think have had their accounts compromised. I had my hotmail account recently done, it started sending out spam, and still they wouldn't let me have two step authentication. Once you've had an account compromised this becomes a deal breaker.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
There are a few things they would have to add to outlook to move me over.

Ability to change the name that is sending from each send mail address. You have to change the name on the full account with outlook whereas you can change names per send address on gmail.

2 Step authentication. They only offer it to people they think have had their accounts compromised. I had my hotmail account recently done, it started sending out spam, and still they wouldn't let me have two step authentication. Once you've had an account compromised this becomes a deal breaker.

Their 1-time use sms codes for signing in on unknown devices/computers works well as a stop-gap there though, those are afaik available to all Live ID accounts.

A dev at my work wants to downgrade an iOS 6 device to iOS 5 for testing. This isn't possible without the SHSH blobs even on a brand new 4/4s, correct?

Top Bottom