• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

MasLegio

Banned
I really hope they add true multitasking in iOS7.

Would like to have two apps in two "windows" side by side or as picture in picture on my iPad

edgefusion

What sound does everyone use when you make a post to Facebook from notification centre? It kind of irks me that it has no unique sound when Twitter does.

I really hope they add true multitasking in iOS7.

Would like to have two apps in two "windows" side by side or as picture in picture on my iPad
I'd much rather they fix iCloud sync, have a single document pool all apps can access (using file extensions/metadata to know what can open which file), AirDrop (using low-power Bluetooth instead of NFC), better talking between apps, and so on.

That's about it on the API side of things. As for UI, something like Auxo plus a major refresh of the UI chrome would be nice. Drop shadows, patterns like vinyl = good, stitched leather and torn paper = bad. Probably a few apps could be folded into each other, too (like Compass and Maps, Notes and Voice Memos). Maybe a better use of the lockscreen too.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Okay, I've pretty much had it with google. Now google calendar isn't syncing anymore. At first I figured it was because they got rid of Exchange with all new phones.. yay. So I deleted that account, and added another account using their instructions (Gmail option), but the damn calendar is not showing up.

>(

Lately whenever I go into my email, iOS freezes for a few seconds when I try to exit out of it. Is anyone else having this? I have a private email server set up as IMAP. Nothing to do with Gmail. It never did this until a week or two ago...

Gruber says iOS 7 is apparently taking resources away from OS X 10.9 but is getting a full visual refresh with more of a flat aesthetic.

davidnic

Perhaps, but I like keeping my phone and MP3 player separate (weird? Maybe).

Right now, it boils down to another iPod Touch or an iPod Classic.

I have an IPod classic and it is beast gets awesome battery life almost 1 week and 160GB is more than enough storage.

i went on a roadtrip and put the iphone and maps to good use and i must say i really love apple maps. it still has horrible POS data outside of major cities but it looks so beautiful and the turn by turn works well. google maps looks ugly as fuck. both had problems finding some fast food restaurants and banks weirdly enough.

i just hope apple is putting in a ton more effort into making maps work as well as gmaps. i would love to switch to it 100%. its really pretty.

Dreaver

I have Chrome installed on my iPhone 5 and I love the browser, except for one thing. I have pretty shitty WiFi connection in my room with my iPhone so most of the time it's constantly switching between 3G and WiFi. A lot of times I'm halfway loading a page (mostly m.neogaf) and suddenly the loading fails and I get the message that Chrome has no connection (the result of the switching between 3G/WiFI). Also when I switch back to a certain tab after x amount of time the page automatically reloads, which is pretty annoying because of the shitty connection.

Is there any way to prevent it reloading? It's annoying when I'm reading and suddenly the page goes blank halfway loading because my connection switches.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
What the heck happened? My iPhone 4S has stopped playing sound effects. Which counts Siri, Google Voice Search, keyboard clicking and the lock and unlock sounds. But it plays other audio fine. How the hell do I turn this volume back up? I've tried adjusting the volume while Siri is "talking" but it doesn't work. How do I get my SFX back? Why can't iOS just have a centralized audio section for adjusting each different audio output setting separately. I never know which audio setting I'm changing. Or how to chance certain ones separately.

Edit: Hmm. My phone thinks it's still in headphone mode. How the heck? How do I convince it it's not?

It no longer switches from headphone mode to speaker mode when I insert or remove a headphone cable. I've only had it for less than a year. How long is the warranty on an iPhone? My local Apple Store is an hour away in all directions.

GWX

What the heck happened? My iPhone 4S has stopped playing sound effects. Which counts Siri, Google Voice Search, keyboard clicking and the lock and unlock sounds. But it plays other audio fine. How the hell do I turn this volume back up? I've tried adjusting the volume while Siri is "talking" but it doesn't work. How do I get my SFX back? Why can't iOS just have a centralized audio section for adjusting each different audio output setting separately. I never know which audio setting I'm changing. Or how to chance certain ones separately.

Edit: Hmm. My phone thinks it's still in headphone mode. How the heck? How do I convince it it's not?

It no longer switches from headphone mode to speaker mode when I insert or remove a headphone cable. I've only had it for less than a year. How long is the warranty on an iPhone? My local Apple Store is an hour away in all directions.

When my old Blackberry Curve started acting like that, I just cleaned the headphone jack with a cotton swab. Try it, although it is weird that only part of the audio doesn't play.

Air

Banned
So I have a question. I just recently purchased an iPhone 4S and it's great, but I can't set up my yahoo account in the mail settings. Unfortunately yahoo is my main provider, and it works on my iPad, but I was wondering what is going on? Is there a fix for this? I know I'm not the only one, and my gmail account works perfectly. This is the only annoyance I have with my phone. Someone help!

1 year (without AppleCare), you're good.

Vyer

Without apple care, it's a year. The Apple Store will replace it for free through that period.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
When my old Blackberry Curve started acting like that, I just cleaned the headphone jack with a cotton swab. Try it, although it is weird that only part of the audio doesn't play.
Nah, it makes sense. The only stuff that I can actually hear now is alarms which always play through the device speakers even if headphones are plugged in. The phone thinks something's plugged in. Is there a physical button inside there that can get gunked up? I'd have thought it was software. Or based on metal contacting metal. Plus gunk inside would actually make it harder to use headphones like my old iPod touch did. I couldn't even plug anything in at one point because the headphone jack is at the bottom on those things.
Yeah, babies. I'm on the "headphone jack belongs on the TOP of the device" camp. Suck it!
1 year (without AppleCare), you're good.
Without apple care, it's a year. The Apple Store will replace it for free through that period.
Ugh, an hour drive. But maybe I can buy a bumper while I'm there. I just hate to waste the gas for something so small. Does it matter that it's a VIRGIN PREPAID iPhone though? Do they keep those in the store? Or will it not matter and they can still set it up if it gets replaced to work on Virgin and keep my number and account? I don't want to lose anything at all. Nothing. Do messages get synced to iCloud? Will they redownload? I'm wary of restoring from iCloud since I got my iPad mini and it failed to restore correctly that I had to start fresh.

numble

Nah, it makes sense. The only stuff that I can actually hear now is alarms which always play through the device speakers even if headphones are plugged in. The phone thinks something's plugged in. Is there a physical button inside there that can get gunked up? I'd have thought it was software. Or based on metal contacting metal. Plus gunk inside would actually make it harder to use headphones like my old iPod touch did. I couldn't even plug anything in at one point because the headphone jack is at the bottom on those things.
Yeah, babies. I'm on the "headphone jack belongs on the TOP of the device" camp. Suck it!

Ugh, an hour drive. But maybe I can buy a bumper while I'm there. I just hate to waste the gas for something so small. Does it matter that it's a VIRGIN PREPAID iPhone though? Do they keep those in the store? Or will it not matter and they can still set it up if it gets replaced to work on Virgin and keep my number and account? I don't want to lose anything at all. Nothing. Do messages get synced to iCloud? Will they redownload? I'm wary of restoring from iCloud since I got my iPad mini and it failed to restore correctly that I had to start fresh.

Manually back-up in iTunes.
If you are unsure of warranty, check this: https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

Try calling them. Apple mailed me a replacement phone when I needed it. You have to have a credit card though, and don't forget to mail out your old one as soon as you can.

hirokazu

Try restart your phone first, or plug headphones in and unplug it again (also clean the jack). Sometimes it's a software bug that causes it to be stuck in headphone mode.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Manually back-up in iTunes.
If you are unsure of warranty, check this: https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do
I always manually backup when doing replacements. But when I did my iPad mini it failed so hard to restore everything I ended up restoring twice before I just set it up new.
Try calling them. Apple mailed me a replacement phone when I needed it. You have to have a credit card though, and don't forget to mail out your old one as soon as you can.
My credit card is a starter card with a $600 limit. Why do they need it? For assurance purposes I assume in case I don't send the old one? Will it come already setup for Virgin though with my old number? I don't think the backup would store that kind of info.
Try restart your phone first, or plug headphones in and unplug it again (also clean the jack). Sometimes it's a software bug that causes it to be stuck in headphone mode.
Tried everything. I think I might have gotten water in the jack. I Googled and went through a thread on Apple Support where everyone says soooo many different things to try. I'm pretty sure it's water. But I tried everything including rebooting and hard resetting. I don't believe it's software. But I also tried a paper towel in the jack, sticking headphones in and out repeatedly, blowing and sucking. All I haven't tried yet is waiting 24 hours.

Edit: Waiting 12 hours seems to have worked. I got my sound back. Doesn't seem to be stuck in headphone mode anymore.

^ eh to me it looks like the wrong approach. tacking on all this stuff on top of the existing OS when it barely fits. the solutions in that video just feel really awkward. imo they need to revamp a decent part of the OS with all this stuff in mind (well not all, but at least stuff like file management & quick settings).

Quick

Banned
Has anybody been experiencing issues with tracks skipping on their iOS device? It doesn't happen often, but when I select a track on my playlist, it skips to the next song immediately a good amount of time. It's quite annoying, and I'd have to hit the back/rewind button to go back to that skipped track.

mrkgoo

iOS 7 concept video. Some of the features in here have an Apple like flavor that I can see them doing something similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdW4qNeFkBk

Eh, I like the "widget" implementation. Quick reply is nice. The others not so much.

Lock screen utility is kind of against the whole point why we have a lock screen. I'd prefer something more on the spotlight page.

Has anybody been experiencing issues with tracks skipping on their iOS device? It doesn't happen often, but when I select a track on my playlist, it skips to the next song immediately a good amount of time. It's quite annoying, and I'd have to hit the back/rewind button to go back to that skipped track.

My old iPhone would sometimes get into a mood whereby it would skip the first songs on some albums. A reset fixed it until the next time it happened. Was pretty annoying.

Blackhead

Redarse
Lock screen utility is kind of against the whole point why we have a lock screen. I'd prefer something more on the spotlight page.

Oh, what's the point of the lockscreen? And would you rather Apple move the lock screen notifications and camera shortcut to the spotlight page?

In a somewhat related question: do you think Apple will remove the lock screen (or give the option to do so) if they add the fingerprint tech in the iPhone 5S?

Tobor

Oh, what's the point of the lockscreen? And would you rather Apple move the lock screen notifications and camera shortcut to the spotlight page?

In a somewhat related question: do you think Apple will remove the lock screen (or give the option to do so) if they add the fingerprint tech in the iPhone 5S?

To prevent pocket dialing. The notifications and camera require the same sliding motion as unlocking, so it's all good.

As for the other question, maybe. Nobody has a clue what's coming anymore.

Blackhead

Redarse
To prevent pocket dialing. The notifications and camera require the same sliding motion as unlocking, so it's all good.

As for the other question, maybe. Nobody has a clue what's coming anymore.

yep the lock screen utility has changed a bit since iPhone OS 1.0.

mrkgoo

yep the lock screen utility has changed a bit since iPhone OS 1.0.
Yah, that was my point. Lock screen is to prevent spurious inputs while the phone is stored.

But tobor's right, I guess if it uses the same motion to activate some utility that's ok. I still don't fully get the photo album button on iPads - maybe it's an innocuous function, or maybe they figure an iPad won't be in your pocket to be randomly unlocked.

Notifications on the lock screen are good. The shortcut to the camera I guess I'm indifferent. I do use it, but it wouldn't bother me either way.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The only place where a Lock Screen isn't needed though is a tablet. I still don't understand why the iPad doesn't have an option to disable it.

No big deal as I have a case that unlocks it when I open the flap so I rarely ever see it, but I'd like to see an option.

Two months until WWDC. Really looking forward to seeing how they plan on competing with iOS7 especially after taking people from the OS X team to help.

mooooose

Apple will never have toggles available from the lock screen because it would break apps like Find My iPhone.

That quick reply UI is ugly compared to Messages+ but whatever.

Wow that Widget idea is actually pretty good but kinda wonky to implement.

mrkgoo

I'm getting push notifications from Facebook app regarding people commenting on others posts that I have commented on, but the only things I have set to give me notifications are messages and timeline posts.

Is this common? How to fix? Will try a reboot.

Dany

Banned
I'd like iOS 7 to give you options on which music app you wanna listen too. On the lock screen if I'm listening to pandora, I'd like to be able to switch to instacast or spotify from the lock screen. That should not be too hard.

Quick

Banned
I'm noticing an issue with my battery. At least, I'm assuming it's an issue.

While charging, it occasionally just displays a full charge at 95-99%. I unplug it, and plug it back in, and it's still showing it's fully charged. It also does the reverse, where it shows me 100% full charge, then I unplug it and it's at 98-99%.

Things I've done so far:
- Hard restart (sleep button + home button)
- Drain the battery, let it power off by itself, charge back.

Either one fixes it temporarily, then it happens again a few days later. It's been happening for two weeks now.

Is this something I can fix myself, or is this worthy of an Apple Store visit?

I'd post this in the iPhone 4S thread, but I figured that's completely dead at this point.

mrkgoo

I'm noticing an issue with my battery. At least, I'm assuming it's an issue.

While charging, it occasionally just displays a full charge at 95-99%. I unplug it, and plug it back in, and it's still showing it's fully charged. It also does the reverse, where it shows me 100% full charge, then I unplug it and it's at 98-99%.

Things I've done so far:
- Hard restart (sleep button + home button)
- Drain the battery, let it power off by itself, charge back.

Either one fixes it temporarily, then it happens again a few days later. It's been happening for two weeks now.

Is this something I can fix myself, or is this worthy of an Apple Store visit?

I'd post this in the iPhone 4S thread, but I figured that's completely dead at this point.
Old 4s, or new one?

If former, probably just signs that the battery is ageing and it's difficult to keep an accurate rating of charge.

Maybe best thing is to just turn percentage off and use your phone with worrying about it, especially if drainage rates are more or less normal.

Quick

Banned
Old 4s, or new one?

If former, probably just signs that the battery is ageing and it's difficult to keep an accurate rating of charge.

Maybe best thing is to just turn percentage off and use your phone with worrying about it, especially if drainage rates are more or less normal.

It's a year old. And I figure I might as well put my Apple Care on it to use. :p

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
It's a year old. And I figure I might as well put my Apple Care on it to use. :p
Could be normal. Trickle charging starts at 80% and if it reaches 100% while still being plugged it the battery discharges down to 90% while keeping the indicator at 100%.
It discharges to keep the battery from being overcharged and damaged, pretty much all lithium ion powered devices does this, laptops etc.

Keeping the indicator fixed at 100% during this is deliberate by Apple as to not cause alarm and confusion as to why battery levels keep jumping around when plugged in. Sometimes this discharge isn't as seamless as it can be thus you notice it, and this is also why you sometimes see a rapid drop in level after unplugging at 100% (it wasn't actually at 100% during the charge at that moment).

Top Bottom